• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT4| BangBros

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I don't care enough to read those threads but I'm just curious enough to want to know whats going on ...

So Sony announced the PS4 will have 8gb DDR5, everyone loves it because its awesome and better than what XB1 will have, but now they're getting rid of 8gb DDR5 for something less powerful? Less powerful than XB1?

Some random dude from some random website tweeted out this detail that he had some news about PS4's RAM. Xboners, looking for anything positive regarding their console of choice, clearly took it as PS4's RAM is getting downclocked or RAM type changed/cut in half. Chaos ensues. Turns out it was absolutely nothing.

Some random dude from some random website tweeted out this detail that he had some news about PS4's RAM. Xboners, looking for anything positive regarding their console of choice, clearly took it as PS4's RAM is getting downclocked or RAM type changed/cut in half. Chaos ensues. Turns out it was absolutely nothing.

Oh man haha. There's just way too much time between now and the console releases. Too much time to speculate and go nuts.

TheChits

Holy shit this was out of nowhere. Yessss
1.gif

muddream

Banned
Even if that report isn't total bs based on 1 game, the alternatives still read

- Weaker console that secretly records you mixing Dew & Doritos.
- PC that costs twice as much
- Nin...nevermind

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I just don't have any faith in Sony making a competent OS, I don't think size is the issue.

I just don't have any faith in Sony making a competent OS, I don't think size is the issue.

This is really my concern. I was all pumped for the PS4 and after the XB1 shit hitting the fan I mostly had my mind made up that I was gonna get the PS4 first. But then all this stuff started happening to remind me how terrible the PS3 is - the constant updates, the update that bricked systems, the store is sluggish as hell, TLoU wouldnt play for me at first (after dling and installing an hours worth of patch), my friends list never loads completely/correctly, I get random disconnects from the media server, etc etc. Meanwhile, stuff on the 360 just works. Granted it takes like 20 to 30 seconds to log on initially but once you do that you're good to go.

Reminds me of this ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU2w72KAkQQ

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Vita OS, while it doesn't look great, runs really well.

Agreed, so far.

...what? Wow, that's awesome. Love the Winnebago Man.

This is really my concern. I was all pumped for the PS4 and after the XB1 shit hitting the fan I mostly had my mind made up that I was gonna get the PS4 first. But then all this stuff started happening to remind me how terrible the PS3 is - the constant updates, the update that bricked systems, the store is sluggish as hell, TLoU wouldnt play for me at first (after dling and installing an hours worth of patch), my friends list never loads completely/correctly, I get random disconnects from the media server, etc etc. Meanwhile, stuff on the 360 just works. Granted it takes like 20 to 30 seconds to log on initially but once you do that you're good to go.

I just don't get how people expect Sony to reduce the bloat over time. It's always going to bloat. Always always. Features > Speed to a board of directors, to people making decisions.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I've never had any of those issues that Mak had with the PS3.I won't be buying any Microsoft consoles street having my 360 break three times.

brentech

I can only guess the bloating is all the social features like last 15 min always recorded and live steaming.
Unlike a PC, all of those features have to run just as well as they do alone as they do with anything else running along with the game...can't have slow downs. So they have to give it space. Along with just leaving some buffer for future features.

That said, it's a lot of damn space. I have 8gb on my PC and almost never use more than 4. 2gb more from the video card, but almost no game actually uses that actively. Most games that push over 2gb right now, do so because they can. It's not a requirement, they just determine what's available and store more in it.

dream

Amazingly inefficient and unoptimized. My The New iPad is an infinitely more capable device than the Playstation Four and it only has 1GB in total.

dream

FACE are you saying its funny because of all the hubristic bravado of console warriors who waved the banner of "8GB of GDDR5" without understanding what that even means?

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I don't care one bit of any of this memory crap with Dragon's Crown coming in a week and a half. It just makes me shrug my shoulders due to my Rule of Two (I wait two years after a console launch before taking the plunge). I actually *gasp* wait to see how stuff is implemented and what library they can grow.

More importantly, friends, Yod da God is fighting tonight on the channel formerly known as HDNet.

FACE

Banned
FACE are you saying its funny because of all the hubristic bravado of console warriors who waved the banner of "8GB of GDDR5" without understanding what that even means?

That and when MS revealed that the Xbox One's OS took 3gbs of ram many posters swore that PS4's OS would take 1gb at most.

brentech

Agreed.

Friends, what kind of PC can I build for $800?
If you're willing to pick things up as they come on sale, a pretty damn god system.
If you want it all at once, a fairly good system, just have to optimize things.

Is that 800 including a monitor or any peripherals?

dream

For who? And for when?

Because those 4.5 gigs that look like a ton of memory today, will look like shit in two years time. Hell, maybe in 1 year time even.
For everyone, at anytime. Look at the results you're getting right now on mid range PCs with a mere gig of VRAM and maybe 4 gigs of system ram. 4.5 gigs just encourages bloat, laziness, and not bothering to optimize code.

brentech

For everyone, at anytime. Look at the results you're getting right now on mid range PCs with a mere gig of VRAM and maybe 4 gigs of system ram. 4.5 gigs just encourages bloat, laziness, and not bothering to optimize code.
Very much so. Even if this news is true, I expect many early games to be horribly optimized.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

not unlike the shit SNK did in the Neo-Geo age. They had a ton of space to work in, and were encouraged to talk about their games being ENORMOUS as it was unoptimized. People saw a big number and thought it was better.

Of course the Neo-Geo was dope as fuck but still.

dream

I do feel that a late-2011 PC and an iOS device is the way to go for all my kd enjoyment. Tiny Thief and Civ 5 Brave New World are better than anything launching on the upcoming consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom