• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT4| BangBros

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Tate isn't winning bro.

Watch it, homie.
i9yA6Jy2hNO28.png

Ronda is instantly retiring if she takes more than usual damage.

If she gets hit by bombs she will leave for hollywood for good. Shes gonna stay C-Level forever since she cant act and there are thousand better looking actresses out there.

Poor Dana...he didnt see it comin' :D

dream

It's the same with any attractive female athlete. You can get paid more in modelling, acting or "being yourself" than you can by training 6 hours a day and risking injury.

Yup.

The guy I ghost write for argues that landing a role in a legitimate Hollywood production is the kiss of death for fighters because you get pampered on the set, and once you get a taste of that, the idea of returning to a training camp becomes anathema to them.

Bob Sapp loses 12th straight fight in a row and in 35 seconds. (fyi - its been 5 years since his last win)

"I don’t know if it was his punches or the way I felt on the ground, but this side of my head hurts a lot."

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Bob Sapp loses 12th straight fight in a row and in 35 seconds. (fyi - its been 5 years since his last win)

"I don’t know if it was his punches or the way I felt on the ground, but this side of my head hurts a lot."

as expected but damn, the numbers.

MjFrancis

Make heavyweight an open weight class and bring this legendary warrior to the UFC.

Make heavyweight an open weight class and bring this legendary warrior to the UFC.

I kinda felt bad for his opponent because he was so pleased with himself with the win and said about how now he deserves to be in the UFC. I'm not sure he understands who Bob Sapp is and what he's all about .. UFC management certainly is however.

I wonder if Sapp's opponents are aware he's gonna take a dive?

EDIT: Not a fan of Rogan's podcast really but I love the episodes with Bryan Callen. He always has the most eclectic, interesting knowledge and topics of conversation. I wish Joe would let him speak more.

Lol

Hollywood already got into her head. The UFC needs to start doing something about this kind of shit honestly. We want fighters please, like they used to make before.

MMA will never pay well enough to prevent things like this. Ronda probably makes peanuts compared to her peers in the sports world. Any fighter with any kind of name recognition or appeal is going to look to branch out.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
The UFC needs to start doing something about this kind of shit honestly.

It involves adding a zero or two to the end of the fighter's paycheque.

But fuck it. The vast majority of MMA fighters careers are the definition of short term gains. Get the money while you can, and I'm sure that Dana will appreciate the extra buyrates of casuals wanting to see "if that chick/dude from the movie can really fight."

We want fighters please, like they used to make before.

You mean like Bruce Lee? Chuck Norris? Michael Jai White?

Or do you mean more recently? Like Rampage? Randy? Crocop?

Exactly!
Make as much quick money as you can!

Im a bit surprised GSP didnt already retire with all the PPV purse hes got over the years.
I would even say we can call ourselves lucky that we have Jones (another one that will eventually leave for Hollywood for good) and Anderson.

Silva could actually be filming brasilian c-level movies and commercials over there and would probably make more than UFC money.

Its fascinating how fast MMA fighters can actually jump to movie opportunities. While Gina wasnt even in the biggest "league"...she was able to grab that opportunity for good.

Who else has that movie star appeal? Is it Miesha? GSP? Jones? Nick Diaz? :D

Diaz is too socially awkward and neurotic. And with all that weed I doubt he'd have the motivation to get up for all the early filming. Jones can't even act well enough to have a decent personality by Sports Entertainment standards so he'd quickly end up the first "star" under 35 in an Expendables movie. Miesha would be relegated "Generic Bad Girl" roles, basically taking all of this chick's work. And GSP is obviously our generations JCVD, albeit he's taking longer to self destruct.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Im a bit surprised GSP didnt already retire with all the PPV purse hes got over the years.

I figure that GSP will retire within the next two years. There's three factors I believe at work here:

1) Legacy (as in, he wants to get an unassailable welterweight record like Anderson has at 185.)
2) Promoting other fighters to take his place (and failing due to Tristar being the most beige gym in existence.)
3) Pressure from the UFC. He's their only meal ticket left.

Its fascinating how fast MMA fighters can actually jump to movie opportunities. While Gina wasnt even in the biggest "league"...she was able to grab that opportunity for good.

Gina had numerous KPIs (to borrow a term) in her favour:

1) She's an attractive young woman.
2) She can actually fight.
3) She's an attractive young woman.
4) Mainstream attention from: American Gladiators, Strikeforce and C&C Red Alert 3.

Miesha and GSP have way too much of a beige personality to be moviestars. I'm guessing GSP's role in Captain America 2 is going to be a 10 second fight segment in one of those "Capt. America does shit" sequences of short clips of him fighting .

Jon Jones' only hope at movie stardom is when he's 36 and Kirk Cameron is financing a "atheist MMA fighter finds god to win the championship and put back together his broken family" movie.

Nick Diaz? Can't be trusted to maintain a schedule.

IMO the only "moviestar potential" in the UFC is Brian Stann. And that's because he's done pretty much everything else in the world, so why not?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
None of them have movie star appeal. Gina is not a movie star either for that matter. 5 movies spread 7 years apart?

iby52XIiTzv1FT.png

IMO the only "moviestar potential" in the UFC is Brian Stann. And that's because he's done pretty much everything else in the world, so why not?

I'm not too knowledgeable about wreslting and their athletes these days but isn't Cena's entire persona both in and out of the ring basically Brian Stann's actual life?

Heel

Wow, at this rate he'll be headlining a Bellator pay-per-view.

Hooooooooo Leeeeeeeee shit is UFC on Fox 1 stacked. A lot of solid match ups. Plus the return of Mike Brown and Doomsday. I just hope I actually have that channel in my current set up and isn't part of a higher package.

MAIN CARD (FOX Sports 1, 8 p.m. ET)
Mauricio Rua vs. Chael Sonnen
Travis Browne vs. Alistair Overeem
Iuri Alcantara vs. Urijah Faber
Matt Brown vs. Mike Pyle
Uriah Hall vs. John Howard
Michael "The Menace" Johnson vs. Joe Lauzon

PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, 6 p.m. ET)
Michael McDonald vs. Brad Pickett
Max Holloway vs. Conor McGregor
Mike Brown vs. Steven Siler
Diego Brandao vs. Daniel Pineda

PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook, 4:30 p.m. ET)
Manvel Gamburyan vs. Cole Miller
Cody Donovan vs. Ovince St. Preux
Ramsey Nijem vs. James Vick

It depends on how many rap records Brian Stann has made.

My name is Brian Stann and I'm here to say, I like mma in a major way!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hooooooooo Leeeeeeeee shit is UFC on Fox 1 stacked. A lot of solid match ups. Plus the return of Mike Brown and Doomsday. I just hope I actually have that channel in my current set up and isn't part of a higher package.

Matt Brown vs. Mike Pyle

I am extremely excited for this card too, looks like about 2 shitloads of fun.

Heel

How is Sugarfoot Sefo at -265 in MMA? It's against "Dave Huckaba" and all, but come on. Anyone remember the Kevin Jordan fight?

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Thank you Pauly, if you're reading this, for the exemplary OP. Now I could check the date of the
can
scrap-filled UFC on Fox 1, without having to bother anyone.

Next

Matt Brown vs. Mike Pyle

My name is Brian Stann and I'm here to say, I like mma in a major way!

wow, I actually know at least 1 of the fighters by name for every fight of the main card. Think that's a first.

Heel

I propose a "winner returns to town, only to be largely ignored" match.

Frank Mir (Vox "I'm passionate about telephones" Pop)

vs.

Josh Barnett (Lambda "I take pleasure in Gypsies dying in a neighboring hospital" Piscium)

VoxPop

I propose a "winner returns to town, only to be largely ignored" match.

Frank Mir (Vox "I'm passionate about telephones" Pop)

vs.

Josh Barnett (Lambda "I take pleasure in Gypsies dying in a neighboring hospital" Piscium)

Love it

FACE said:
I'm posting from my android phone, how do you feel about that?

Probably the same way you feel about that Bayonetta poster above your bunk bed.

It involves adding a zero or two to the end of the fighter's paycheque.

But fuck it. The vast majority of MMA fighters careers are the definition of short term gains. Get the money while you can, and I'm sure that Dana will appreciate the extra buyrates of casuals wanting to see "if that chick/dude from the movie can really fight."

I don't mind if a fighter turns to something else once he reaches a certain age. I'm wary of fighting being used as a platform for other things though, because that will bring the non fighters in full force.

You mean like Bruce Lee? Chuck Norris? Michael Jai White?

Or do you mean more recently? Like Rampage? Randy? Crocop?

Bruce Lee? Come on son, he wasn't a fighter lol. Chuck Norris? Michael Jay White? Man you must be on some heavy drugs if you think these cats were fighters.

Rampage hollywood career was over in one movie, and his UFC career went to shit because of it. Randy did it the right way to me. Cro Cop? Didn't even knew he was in a movie.

It's just sad to me. But you're right, UFC needs to find a way to pay better.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Well, that's cool. I thought Universal wasn't willing to accomodate The Rock for F&F7.

And I like to imagine Rock is trolling Dana with that pic of a possibly pants-less Ronda. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom