• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

For the record, right now, I think someone needed to come out and say it: I think smoking pot is good for mixed martial artists. It's a new day and age, this is, uh, the year ... Fuck year is it? I don't know, because I've been training and smoking pot like I should, instead of paying attention to other bullshit, which I don't do.

Agreed friend. Its gonna be interesting to see if Nicholas can even carry an actual conversation.

dream

So, Shane del Rosario had coke, opiates and THC in his system. But they didn't consider it a factor in his death.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/12/21/5232810/shane-del-rosario-died-of-natural-causes

But that looks like a pro wrestler's death if I've ever seen one. Sans the steroids of course.

In other news, I had some chilli ice cream today and it shut down my brain. Couldn't cope with the awesome fact that I was eating spicy ice cream.

I am not at all shocked that Shaners del Rosario was a drug addict. I am very shocked that there were no steroids in his system though.

I suspect we're going to see a lot of Ultimate Fighters die of heart attacks at young ages over the next decade.

Heel

Liver Kick ‏@LiverKickdotcom 52m
There is talk of "major changes" within Glory. If you've been following you'll be able to make some educated guesses.

LiverKickdotcom 39m
spike contract is until summer

Liver Kick ‏@LiverKickdotcom 36m
it's about investors

iFRmKHw1dr4uf.gif

Floyd about to shake shit up, brehs. This could get interesting.

Heel

Is Floyd talking about giving Kickboxing a push?

Well, I'd find it hard to believe Floyd flew to Japan for an appearance fee. Supposedly he's friendly with the new GLORY owner, Pierre Andurand, an oil trade billionaire and boxing fan. He was a "special guest" at the last Floyd flight. Pretty clear it'd be more about the brand collaboration than a need for money.

TMT comin', Dana. Hope Floyd starts doing shoot promos on "boring wrestling" and shakes shit up.

Im not sure about kickboxing being a good investment these days...

Floyd will push dollahs into it and let it fall and label it "a bad money move!".
The attention span of the target group isnt getting any fucking longer. They need to matchup guys that just throw bombs; Oh, heavyweight exclusively...

Heel

Nice to see the Bears and Dolphins fans join me in the chilling reality of mediocrity. None of these squads have a Super Bowl run in them. Embrace the L's and think about the draft, brehs.

Well, I'd find it hard to believe Floyd flew to Japan for an appearance fee. Supposedly he's friendly with the new GLORY owner, Pierre Andurand, an oil trade billionaire and boxing fan. He was a "special guest" at the last Floyd flight. Pretty clear it'd be more about the brand collaboration than a need for money.

TMT comin', Dana. Hope Floyd starts doing shoot promos on "boring wrestling" and shakes shit up.

I didn't know he went to Japan. That would be nuts. Imagine if he got Glory on showtime?

OT: I told my sister I needed Whiskey for my birthday because I had to around our mother for 3 weeks. She went out and bought me like 3 bottles of Jameson.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Nice to see the Bears and Dolphins fans join me in the chilling reality of mediocrity. None of these squads have a Super Bowl run in them. Embrace the L's and think about the draft, brehs.

Thank God we have fake sports like wrasslin and mixed martials to watch during these rough times. Much easier on the blood pressure.

Heel

I didn't know he went to Japan. That would be nuts. Imagine if he got Glory on showtime?

Hadn't thought about the Showtime connection. I think TMT would give them the clout to have a talk with about anyone, though.

TMT would bring a lot more attention to the sport, depending on how hard Floyd himself pushes it. If GLORY gets more eyes I think they'll stick. The cards have been awesome, and "MMA without that wrestling stuff" has appeal.

I wanna see something wild like ESPN/ABC and give UFC a reason to step their game up.

muddream

Banned
Happy Birthday friend!

Hadn't thought about the Showtime connection. I think TMT would give them the clout to have a talk with about anyone, though.

TMT would bring a lot more attention to the sport, depending on how hard Floyd himself pushes it. If GLORY gets more eyes I think they'll stick. The cards have been awesome, and "MMA without that wrestling stuff" has appeal.

I wanna see something wild like ESPN/ABC and give UFC a reason to step their game up.

Did Strikeforce make money on Showtime? Glory has way less fighter pay expenses. Seems like a natural fit to attact the "hugging shit, it's nothing" audience. They probably already sub to Showtime because of GBP/TMT and Floyd could cut a hot promo after his next fight and make everyone happy.

I don't know how it is with commercials, but what I really like about these Spike Glory shows is that they don't overstay their welcome. 90 minutes without commercials and a boring fight only lasts 9 minutes instead of 15. That's important in a fledgling sport that lacks personalities, Showtime would be a great fit in that regard.

muddream

Banned
Nick Diaz doesn't do dates, whenever he feels the sudden urge to check out Joe's isolation tank or is in need of some bomb weed in SoCal.

Heel

I turn 31 in a few mins. Breaking it in by watching Noam Chomsky videos on Youtube.

Happy birthday.

Did Strikeforce make money on Showtime? Glory has way less fighter pay expenses. Seems like a natural fit to attact the "hugging shit, it's nothing" audience. They probably already sub to Showtime because of GBP/TMT and Floyd could cut a hot promo after his next fight and make everyone happy.

I don't know how it is with commercials, but what I really like about these Spike Glory shows is that they don't overstay their welcome. 90 minutes without commercials and a boring fight only lasts 9 minutes instead of 15. That's important in a fledgling sport that lacks personalities, Showtime would be a great fit in that regard.

Dave Meltzer: The demise of Strikeforce

Well, they aren't even near the ratings roof of Showtime, but I think GLORY would be better served staying on a bigger platform and attempting to grow the sport stateside.

Very curious to see the ratings of the last card.

The future of our sport. Looks like it came out of a CAW generator

UFC Fight Night 48: Jim Miller vs. Roster Player #99, only on UFC.tv!

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Fucking Ryse is just amateur hour action game design. Dante and Hayabusa are rolling in their grave. Even Knack is far more solid in it's mechanics as an action game.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Is this... a real card?

That's the kind of card that you can only see by subscribing to the amazing UFC online network! These are the exclusive fights that are worth $10 a month. Now you, too, can see low level local fighters who have just been signed and are about to be cut take on the top* UFC fighters in front of friends and family.

*Being outside the top ten, and probably outside the second ten in rankings counts as top, right?

ShaneB

That's the kind of card that you can only see by subscribing to the amazing UFC online network! These are the exclusive fights that are worth $10 a month. Now you, too, can see low level local fighters who have just been signed and are about to be cut take on the top* UFC fighters in front of friends and family.

*Being outside the top ten, and probably outside the second ten in rankings counts as top, right?

I'm part of team positive, so it's not that I barely recognize a name on that card, cards like that are often entertaining as hell with all of these guys looking to prove they CAN be a big name star eventually. It's more just that it looks like a completely scrapped together card that I would assume is free somewhere.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I'm part of team positive, so it's not that I barely recognize a name on that card, cards like that are often entertaining as hell with all of these guys looking to prove they CAN be a big name star eventually. It's more just that it looks like a completely scrapped together card that I would assume is free somewhere.

They are usually entertaining, but it's hilarious that this is the first card for their online network. You don't even get access to the Fox Sports cards, only these untelevised events full of absolutely nobody relevant to any division. Most of those people will never fight in the UFC again unless they have another Singapore event.

Vio-Lence

Banned
I turn 31 in a few mins. Breaking it in by watching Noam Chomsky videos on Youtube.

Happy Birthday Jerry. I hope you find something better to do on your 32nd year on this big rock.

Fucking Ryse is just amateur hour action game design. Dante and Hayabusa are rolling in their grave. Even Knack is far more solid in it's mechanics as an action game.

I enjoyed my time with Ryse. My old white suburban middle class ass has 30 minutes to an hour maximum to play kideos per session these days and I had fun playing Ryse a level at a time. I think the game play was decent enough on Centurion level. Obviously this isn't Ninja Gaiden. I think it's more of a beat-em up with high quality graphics. Conversely the last action game I played was NG2 on 360. The blood in that game :)

I think after the shocking KO in the first fight, people seemed to forget that the entire first round the Wildman dominated Silver and wreslted the fuck out of him with ease. I expect this fight to go a lot like that and Wildman retains via UD.

Top Bottom