• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
It's 2014 in Taiwan now, so to my MMA GAF bros, I wish you all the best for New Year and all that shit. Sell your wolf tickets, don't ruin someone's special night, drink some Coors Light (because Bud Light won't pay you nothin') and let us bang man!

Doran902

Man, after rewatching it, I think Grice/Bermudez is my fight of the year. Tons of amazing fights this year though

That fight was incredible. Poor Grice : (

Jones Gustafsson is my foty hands down. Jones showed tons of heart, lots of back and forth and pure technique all the way to the end. Great pace. So good.

Heel

Antonio "Fuck you and your unified rules, Keith Kizer can't control me" Inoki, ladies and gentlemen.

iQGa0s3fRAPm4.gif

ibxcKlv7zkvDTA.gif

Can't wait to watch this card.

Wand/Stann is my FOTY. Gave me a heart attack 3x and the ending was so perfect it brought a tear to my eye.

Hunt/Silva is a runner up - Back and forth action where there was lots of momentum shifts. Fight went everywhere and was almost finished numerous times. What a brawl.

Jones/Guss is number 2 runner up. Seeing JBJ outclassed and seeing just how good Guss looked was surprising.

Overrated FOTY - Gil/Diego. This fight was Diego getting his ass whooped for the majority of the fight and had one bright moment where he could have stopped it. Gil was putting a clinic on him and it was a 1 sided beat down. Was entertaining but incredibly overrated

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Sounds like Andy got somewhat lucky.

Anderson Silva expected to return to training in six to nine months

Anderson Silva's gruesome leg injury may have ended UFC 168 on a disastrous note. But according to the doctor who operated on Silva late Saturday night, the former UFC middleweight champion's future isn't nearly as bleak as many observers initially believed.

"The minute I saw it and recognized it, I knew it was fixable," Dr. Steven Sanders, an orthopedic surgeon for the UFC, said Monday.

"We are not even 48 hours from the surgery, and tibia fractures, though we can get them to heal, can have slower healing. So in general, my prognosis would be a fracture healing somewhere in the nature of three to six months. But there's also soft tissue components that have to heal, and then of course a rehabilitative process as well."

Following the injury, Silva's leg was stabilized inside the Octagon by Dr. Anthony Ruggeroli, "who immediately realigned the limb and applied traction." Silva was then transported to a local hospital, where he underwent successful emergency surgery.

Sanders anticipates that if all goes as planed, Silva will be able to return to training within six to nine months -- which is a good thing, considering that the question was apparently one of the first things on the former champ's mind Saturday night.

"In the pre-op area, his questions were, ‘When can I train?'" Sanders said.

"He asked me in the pre-op area, ‘When can I train?' And he has asked me every time, when I see him on my rounds, he asks: ‘Will I be able to train? When can I train?' And I have always indicated to him that he should be able to train."

Silva suffered the injury when Chris Weidman checked a leg kick midway through the second round of the pair's main event rematch at UFC 168. The inside of Weidman's left knee collided with Silva's shin, instantly snapping the bone and twisting Silva's shin into a macabre 'C.'

"In terms of the severity of the injury, it was, I would say, fairly severe," Sanders said. Nonetheless Sanders later added that for however grisly Silva's injury may have been, it was "extremely close" to being much worse.

"Fortunately for Anderson, the skin did not break," Sanders said. "But where could an injury like that go? An injury like that could go where, as I mentioned, the skin breaks, and now you've got this exposed bone in the environment of an Octagon, and so his risk of infection goes up meteorically. He could have also twisted in such a different direction where he could've potentially lacerated an artery going to the foot, in which case you now have what we call vascular compromise. He could've, in that case, potentially needed a vascular reconstructive procedure to reattach an artery.

"Injuries like this can, at times, even be limb threatening. If the fracture is severe enough, if it compromises vascular supply to the feet and vascular supply cannot be reestablished, it can result in an amputation."

Initial speculation after witnessing the 38-year-old fall victim to such a gruesome injury was that Silva's career had come to an end. Sanders, however, noted that due to the nature of the injury, Silva's age will not play a role in recovery. Sanders also saw very little evidence that Silva's leg had been damaged prior to the break.

In addition, once the fracture is healed, Sanders expects the leg to return to full strength, and due a titanium rod doctors surgically inserted into Silva's left tibia, to not be at risk for further damage.

"In this particular case, you had a bad fracture occur. Fortunately it occurred outside the joints," Sanders said.

"So having occurred outside the joint, when the fracture heals, the bone will reassume its original strength. In addition to it achieving its original strength, [Silva] will also have a titanium rod that is 11.5 millimeters in diameter shoring up that area as well."

Silva's left leg is currently encased in a posterior splint. Sanders expects that within a few weeks, Silva will begin being able to put increased pressure on his leg.

Once both the fracture and soft tissue heal, Silva will begin a steady rehabilitation process, which Sanders expects will "not need to be as intense as we generally talk about when fighters injure ligaments, say, in the knee -- so the expectation is positive.

"He is using crutches. We also have a walker available for him," Sanders added.

"We've made both available to him. And again, I always mention that he's only 48 hours, less than 48 hours, from a devastating injury. I have seen him up on crutches -- and it's amazing, because I don't know if I would be able to do it that quickly."

I was really hoping he would be out for good. Meisha and Rhonda eclipsed him in fighting spirit more than he will ever have. It's just a new era. These things happen in MMA.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Via UFC:
Ten Best: The Newcomers of 2013

1497613_10152117217301276_377624375_n.jpg

10 – Jessica Eye
Despite Jessica Eye’s status as one of the best flyweight fighters in the world, some wondered whether the Ohio native could continue her run of success in the UFC’s bantamweight division. She could, winning a hard-fought split decision over former Strikeforce champion Sarah Kaufman that marked her as a charismatic and exciting force in the UFC’s newest weight class.

9 – Ali Bagautinov
The Russian contingent in the UFC is growing by leaps and bounds, with more and more top-quality fighters making their way to the Octagon on what seems to be a monthly basis. Dagestan’s Ali Bagautinov made his first UFC start in September with a third round TKO of Marcos Vinicius, and in November he made it two straight with a decision win over Tim Elliott. Next up, a UFC 169 bout with John Lineker that could shoot him straight into the title picture. Not bad for a few months’ work.

8 – Chris Holdsworth
While Chris Holdsworth’s association with Sacramento’s Team Alpha Male marked him as a fighter to watch before season 18 of The Ultimate Fighter, the unbeaten submission ace put himself in the world’s living room each week on TUF 18, building his profile while he just kept winning and showing his talent. In November, he wrapped up the season title with a second round finish of Davey Grant, proving that he’s ready for prime time at 135 pounds.

7 – Cat Zingano
This could have been the greatest year of Cat Zingano’s career, yet even though she wasn’t able to coach on TUF 18 and then fight Ronda Rousey for the UFC women’s bantamweight title due to a knee injury, it was still a pretty damn good 2013 for Colorado’s “Alpha Cat,” as she introduced herself to the Octagon faithful with a third round Fight of the Night TKO of Miesha Tate in April. Expected back in action in 2014, she will be eagerly awaiting a shot at the 135-pound crown.

6 - Sara McMann
What kind of impression did Sara McMann make in her lone UFC bout of 2013 against Sheila Gaff in April? Enough that the first round TKO win earned the unbeaten former U.S. Olympic Silver medal winner a recently announced shot at Ronda Rousey’s bantamweight title in February. Now that’s a debut to remember.

5 – Hyun Gyu Lim
Headlining this Saturday’s UFC Fight Night event in Singapore against Tarec Saffiedine, South Korea’s Hyun Gyu Lim was long considered one of the diamonds in the rough on the Asian MMA scene. Well, after knockouts of Marcelo Guimaraes and Pascal Krauss in his first two UFC bouts in 2013, the secret is out: Lim is one tough customer in the Octagon, something Saffiedine will find out on Saturday.

4 - Ryan LaFlare
Plagued by injuries throughout his career, welterweight prospect Ryan LaFlare got a good run of good health in 2013 and he ran with it, fighting and winning three times in the Octagon against Benny Alloway, Santiago Ponzinibbio, and Court McGee. Will LaFlare be the next UFC champ to emerge from Long Island? He’s off to a damn good start.

3 - Kelvin Gastelum
Just 22 years old, The Ultimate Fighter season 17 winner Kelvin Gastelum has seemingly been an underdog forever, but after upsetting the field night in and night out on TUF 17 – including Uriah Hall – en route to a UFC contract, he proved to be the real deal, something evidenced by his quick finish of Brian Melancon in August.

2 - Conor McGregor
In and out of the Octagon, Conor McGregor made headlines, and while having the opportunity to one day be named the best MMA fighter to emerge from Ireland is enough to make his name in the sport, his charisma could propel him into the rarefied air occupied by the superstars of the game. Of course it’s early, but 2013 wins over Marcus Brimage and Max Holloway have him on the right path so far.

1 – Brandon Thatch
Everyone heard the stories about Brandon Thatch’s striking long before “Rukus” entered the Octagon for the first time in 2013, but you probably just assumed that he wouldn’t be able to continue on such an impressive streak of finishes once matched up with UFC-level competition. Well, you were wrong, as Thatch picked up Knockout of the Night honors for his 83 second finish of Justin Edwards in August, and less than three months later, he forced veteran Paulo Thiago to tap out due to strikes, again in the first round. So what makes him the 2013 Newcomer of the Year? You just can’t wait to see him fight again.
I only recognize half the list, I do hope that when Conor returns he doesn't shatter again. He's already got the winning personality, now he just needs to get some more W's in the octagon.

brentech

this is just perfect.

iFvIOYMTf5S3U.png

oh man, since adding a second monitor to my pc, i brought my PS3 into my office and have been playing UFC 3 the last few days. Hopefully there isn't insufferable load times like UFC 3.

Please don't be terrible, EA. I'm pretty hype for another UFC game

Chamber

love on your sleeve
oh man, since adding a second monitor to my pc, i brought my PS3 into my office and have been playing UFC 3 the last few days. Hopefully there isn't insufferable load times like UFC 3.

Please don't be terrible, EA. I'm pretty hype for another UFC game

You can just play EA MMA right now. Aside from better graphics and the UFC roster, I'm quite certain this game will be exactly the same.

Top Bottom