• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

8_Josh_Burkman_vs._Jon_Fitch.gif

Can't breathe

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
My internet has been terrible tonight. I've missed every fight since the one where the dude in red shorts did 12-6 elbows.

MjFrancis

Has anyone watched the Ultimate Fighter in China? I have to stop after four episodes.

• They couldn't get enough fighters for 32-person elimination tryouts, so they just let 16 guys walk-on at FW and WW.
  • One fighter dropped in episode two because he didn't realize he'd have to punch his teammates in training.
  • A contestant tapped to Chael-Sonnen-style punches.
  • These guys don't know how to cut weight. They don't even need to cut weight. They're coming in at 3-4 pounds under weight at the weigh-ins.
  • Benson Henderson showed up to give the guys pointers and the lack of weight management is so much more apparent. He's bigger than any WW on this show.
  • In Episode 4, the coach of one of the teams dropped out. He just left the show without explanation.
  • Which reminds me, the other's team's coach is Tiequan Zhang, who's just 1-3 in the UFC. He should just coach everyone, since these guys need all the help they can get.
Which brings me back to the talent level. These guys are at Tank Abbot level brawling right now. The Ultimate Fighter in China should have been completely reformatted to just train the shit out of these guys for 3-6 months. Benson Henderson should be a coach, not a walk-on with an afternoon's worth of advice. Tiequan Zhang could mop the floor with each and every one of these fighters, including the WW because they are really FW or LW fighters who haven't cut weight.

The first fight lays it all out. The grappling is somewhat exciting since no one has any ability to defend anything... but then a guy gets trapped with his stomach on the mat and has no idea what to do and eventually taps to strikes. The next two fights are even more boring despite a lack of decisions.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
It took the UFC long enough to have Crusher Kawajiri in the there.

Ply, why do you still have a Jon Snow avatar?

Heel

Has anyone watched the Ultimate Fighter in China? I have to stop after four episodes.

• They couldn't get enough fighters for 32-person elimination tryouts, so they just let 16 guys walk-on at FW and WW.
  • One fighter dropped in episode two because he didn't realize he'd have to punch his teammates in training.
  • These guys don't know how to cut weight. They don't even need to cut weight. They're coming in at 3-4 pounds under weight at the weigh-ins.
  • Benson Henderson showed up to give the guys pointers and the lack of weight management is so much more apparent. He's bigger than any WW on this show.
  • In Episode 4, the coach of one of the teams dropped out. He just left the show without explanation.
  • Which reminds me, the other's team's coach is Tiequan Zhang, who's just 1-3 in the UFC. He should just coach everyone, since these guys need all the help they can get.
Which brings me back to the talent level. These guys are at Tank Abbot level brawling right now. The Ultimate Fighter in China should have been completely reformatted to just train the shit out of these guys for 3-6 months. Benson Henderson should be a coach, not a walk-on with an afternoon's worth of advice. Tiequan Zhang could mop the floor with each and every one of these fighters, including the WW because they are really FW or LW fighters who haven't cut weight.

The first fight lays it all out. The grappling is somewhat exciting since no one has any ability to defend anything... but then a guy gets trapped with his stomach on the mat and has no idea what to do and eventually taps to strikes. The next two fights are even more boring despite a lack of decisions.

I will now sign up for UFC Fight Pass.

muddream

Banned

As a Pride fan, I really look forward to the TUF China winner facing Erick Silva.

MjFrancis

As a Pride fan, I really look forward to the TUF China winner facing Erick Silva.
Erick Silva would KO any TUF China WW inside of a minute. He could KO all eight of them if the commissions would let him fight eight times in a single day.

Boy, that is PRIDE, isn't it?

Heel

I would be plenty excited to watch this shit if they marketed it as "UFC vs. local talent" squash matches, with the occasional shocking upset.

Imagine how much of a shot in the arm bums like Jake Ellenberger would get if they went around the world smashing on "Luiz Dutra" and the like.

industrian

I'm curious about TUF China simply because a guy at Taipei BJJ (my gym) was taking part. But I've known it's a trainwreck since day one. Don't they have a yoga/fitness instructor with no fight experience whatsoever taking part?

Also, obligatory four = death reference.

muddream

Banned
I would be plenty excited to watch this shit if they marketed it as "UFC vs. local talent" squash matches, with the occasional shocking upset.

Imagine how much of a shot in the arm bums like Jake Ellenberger would get if they went around the world smashing on "Luiz Dutra" and the like.

Put that bloated roster to good use...but it all makes too much sense I guess.

Will Chope might've won round 1 on some scorecards btw, he's a poor man's George Roop, not someone you cut right away. He'll easily go 2-4 before getting the axe.

MjFrancis

I'm curious about TUF China simply because a guy at Taipei BJJ (my gym) was taking part. But I've known it's a trainwreck since day one. Don't they have a yoga/fitness instructor with no fight experience whatsoever taking part?
How could I forget to put that in my bullet points? I want to say the yoga instructor was the guy who dropped out, but all the episodes have bled together at this point.

I'm really surprised that they let any of this air, or even went ahead with the show after they couldn't get enough contestants for elimination rounds. Should have done TUF Japan instead.

industrian

How could I forget to put that in my bullet points? I want to say the yoga instructor was the guy who dropped out, but all the episodes have bled together at this point.

I'm really surprised that they let any of this air, or even went ahead with the show after they couldn't get enough contestants for elimination rounds. Should have done TUF Japan instead.

China is a growth market for pretty much every industry in the world. The UFC is no different and they've let the dollar signs blind them from the obvious fact that like in most growth markets there is little or no base to work with. Then again with the sheer size of China there could be countless MMA fighters and gyms there, but all signs point to Chinese organisations like RUFF needing to develop the grass roots of the sport before outsiders such as the UFC attempt to exploit it - which is what this TUF China completely represents.

If MMA in China is to ever take off they need a unique ONE FC-sized organisation - or federation of smaller organisations - that are capable of putting on consistent shows across China with a mixture of internal and outside talent. The UFC has too much on its plate to develop a Chinese market - or even to exploit it.

Im still baffled there is no UFC Fight Pass app. Why jn 2014 did anyone think that was a good idea?

For something that seems to have been put together in two weeks, it's par for the course.

Top Bottom