• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

Just finished watching the Fight Night.

Wow. Steve Peceval sucks as a ref. The two-point deduction was a bit over-the-top (shoulda been a one-point) but missing Soriano's tap-out, and allowing him to go unconscious before the stoppage, is simply inexcusable.

UFC should just institute a "no 'Steves' policy" and be done.

Wow. Steve Peceval sucks as a ref. The two-point deduction was a bit over-the-top (shoulda been a one-point) but missing Soriano's tap-out, and allowing him to go unconscious before the stoppage, is simply inexcusable.

Athletic Commisions would still have Mazzagatti ref. "It says No Steves, with an S. We're allowed to have one."

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

My issue with the two-point deduction was that there was a painfully obvious lack of communicative abilities between the fighters - Korean and Japanese - with a purely English-speaking referee. They really need to be training more multilingual referees.

Who here has or does actually take MMA classes? What was/is your experience like? I'm thinking of signing up for my free workout at the nearest place that offers. Thinking of taking muay thai first.

I wouldn't go to a muay thai place until you're already in decent shape.

I'm in quite good shape. Been going to the gym for 3-4 times a week for 4-years steady now. Work out 1-2 a week at home on top of that. Eat extremely healthy. Pretty sure I could handle it.

Who here has or does actually take MMA classes? What was/is your experience like? I'm thinking of signing up for my free workout at the nearest place that offers. Thinking of taking muay thai first.
both muay thai and bjj are incredible martial arts to learn because, for the most part, they're effective in the real world and most schools allow day one sparring.

I've done both but currently doing only bjj, I'm a blue belt now under a jj Machado black belt.

as workouts, both will kick your ass like nothing else you're experienced.

as a new BJJ student, you will get choked, submitted, swept, and rag dolled for the first 6 months. You aren't going to beat anyone so your goal is survival, defend your neck, keep your elbows close to your body. While you're doing that, develop your base so you're a tree stump. Set realistic goals for yourself like not getting submitted in 2 minutes, then increase the time until you are defending for the full 5 min round. Once you do that then you can learn escapes, sweeps, passing guard, keeping guard, basic submissions. It's a long grueling process but if you stick with it, bjj will be the most gratifying thing you do in life.

for muay thai, you'll warm up, stretch, hit pads, hold pads, learn combos, then finish with a few rounds of sparring. if you are new you'll be paired up with someone who will take it easy on you and under a watchful skilled eye of a seasoned instructor. if the school puts on your gloves and feeds you to the wolves then find a new school.

stay away from "mma" class as those are reserved for more experienced students who already have some training in bjj and striking.

personally, I'm in love with the human chess game of bjj.

Took Tae Kwon Do back when I was 16ish. I was in classes for two years and was without a doubt in the best shape of my life due to my age and playing a bunch of other sports. Then our studio started full contact sparring classes with pads .. I learned very quickly that being in good shape wasn't enough. I became so winded after two minutes. Hitting moving targets and being hit adds a whole new dimension to the workout.

Hilarious to see new guys at the gym try an intro class and say shit like, "bro, I go to 24 hr fitness 3-4 times a week, I'll be good." 30 mins in, they're excusing themselves to puke in the garbage bin. Some of those guys stay for the challenge, some never return.

industrian

for muay thai, you'll warm up, stretch, hit pads, hold pads, learn combos, then finish with a few rounds of sparring. if you are new you'll be paired up with someone who will take it easy on you and under a watchful skilled eye of a seasoned instructor. if the school puts on your gloves and feeds you to the wolves then find a new school..

If a Muay Thai coach does anything to a newbie except teaching them defensive manoeuvring/posturing and correct form when kicking, punching and clinching then they're not worth your time and health - let alone membership fees.

Took Tae Kwon Do back when I was 16ish. I was in classes for two years and was without a doubt in the best shape of my life due to my age and playing a bunch of other sports. Then our studio started full contact sparring classes with pads .. I learned very quickly that being in good shape wasn't enough. I became so winded after two minutes. Hitting moving targets and being hit adds a whole new dimension to the workout.
yes it does, heart rate shoots up drastically before you even start a sparring round.

muddream

Banned

I'd take up both Muay Thai and BJJ. Grappling and striking are very different in terms of body mechanics. After a month or two you'll know whether you enjoy both, only one of the two or neither. Just don't take more than 1 class a day, that'll be hard enough for a beginner.

I'd take up both Muay Thai and BJJ. Grappling and striking are very different in terms of body mechanics. After a month or two you'll know whether you enjoy both, only one of the two or neither. Just don't take more than 1 class a day, that'll be hard enough for a beginner.

My hope is to continue my gym regimen and take maybe 2 classes a week. Not sure how much more I could fit into my schedule. Hopefully that's realistic.

Recent events got me thinking. Do you guys think poor ol Snatch hung himself after Wildman rolled his boy like a freight train over a box of kittens?

TheChits

Recent events got me thinking. Do you guys think poor ol Snatch hung himself after Wildman rolled his boy like a freight train over a box of kittens?

I'm sure he is wandering about trying to find a new community, litmus testing every nook and cranny of the internet. I hope he is doing okay though.

FACE

Banned

I feel bad for what we did to him because we missed out on two possible meltdowns after Anderson lost.

I'm sure he is wandering about trying to find a new community, litmus testing every nook and cranny of the internet. I hope he is doing okay though.

I feel bad for what we did to him because we missed out on two possible meltdowns after Anderson lost.

Agreed good friend Chits. I hope the little fella is ok. I say though. If you can't love a community as lovable as ours. You're hopeless. Face that would have been glorious to witness.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Went from work last night to the bar and from the bar right back to work.
deadmanny.png

muddream

Banned
My hope is to continue my gym regimen and take maybe 2 classes a week. Not sure how much more I could fit into my schedule. Hopefully that's realistic.

Two classes a week is the minimum if you want to improve at a reasonable pace. I can't really give an answer concerning your gym regimen as my main focus is Muay Thai, not strength training. Muay Thai training is pretty hard on the shoulders, especially when you're starting out and not used to holding pads.

Two classes a week is the minimum if you want to improve at a reasonable pace. I can't really give an answer concerning your gym regimen as my main focus is Muay Thai, not strength training. Muay Thai training is pretty hard on the shoulders, especially when you're starting out and not used to holding pads.

Thank you for your opinion. Looking forward to my trial and seeing how everything goes. The place I'm looking at offers standard boxing, muay thai, BJJ and a few other things. The trainers seem to have pretty decent credentials so I'm hoping for the best.

industrian

Went from work last night to the bar and from the bar right back to work.
deadmanny.png

I've done that once. With the added bonus of spending the night at a police station for behind drunk & disorderly. I was quite the asshole when I was 16.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
One of you guys should pose as (pick a UFC champion) and enter the Real Pic thread. Let's see how mainstream they are.

Heel

http://twitter.com/JuneWhiteMMA

This would be a brilliant parody account, but seeing as it's likely real it's pretty frightening. Tweeting Bellator, Ken Shamrock and ugly pictures of your son? That doesn't even include the book. lol there must be some real heat in that family.

Vio-Lence

Banned
i was cleaning up my drive way this morning, when i came inside my eyebrows and eyelashes were frozen. it's like -14 or -20 with windchill here in Chicagoan burbs.

FUCK THAT, at least i can work from home today :)

ShaneB

You should play your 200 unplayed steam games first. Buy it when it's $5 in 2 years.

Sound logic. I realize my primary gaming days are behind me when I never bought a single thing over the sales period except a few gifts for other folks.

edit: Also, yes, rain sucks. I'd rather be home again and freezing in -50 weather instead of having to deal with winter rain.

I suppose I should get aroud to watching the card sometime too.

industrian

Winter, what's that?

mEOuAGU.jpg

This is actually the reason I chose Taiwan in 2010 after suffering through a -30c/-22f winter in Korea. The lowest it's got since I've been here is 9c/48f. Even if feels/is colder inside due to every building built to be drafty and constantly airconditioned.

Anybody think the UFC should just give up on the China thing and just try to rebuild Japanese MMA? The foundation is already there and there has also been a resurgence of pro wrestling in Japan if that is anything to go by. China is just very....dry right now in terms of contact sports/entertainment

MjFrancis

Anybody think the UFC should just give up on the China thing and just try to rebuild Japanese MMA? The foundation is already there and there has also been a resurgence of pro wrestling in Japan if that is anything to go by. China is just very....dry right now in terms of contact sports/entertainment
The Chinese TUF is a disaster. I mentioned just the other day that a Japanese TUF would be better than this, and given how well NJPW is doing right now I agree that something could be made of Japanese MMA again.

The level of competition and skill in China right now is so poor that it doesn't even have a it's-so-bad-it's-good quality going for it. After four episodes I'd wasted far too much of my time with TUF China.

Dysun

Diego Brandao on threatening to stab Dustin Poirer and getting KTFO

"He was there, bouncing at the weigh-ins, staring at me. I told him backstage 'if you ever do that again, I'll stab you with a pen.' That's what happened. Every time he saw me at the hotel he kept staring at me, and I responded asked what was the problem, if he looking like that because he was hungry or what. When he got inside the cage I saw he was scared. He got lucky (to win)... A drunk man hit my car, and I ended up crashing in another car. I had to go to my lawyer. (The other driver) didn't want to pay the costs to fix my car. I did my best, I was a warrior just to step inside that cage. Any other fighter would just run away, but I needed that."

lol

1.gif

Top Bottom