• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Machida has proven he does nothing but freeze up and run around the cage against any fighter worth his shit. Weidman would 50-45 him but I'm sick enough to want to see it.

I got a fraud notice on my credit card for a $1 charge from UFC. I let it pass since I figured they were testing my card for the free trial, but I didn't look into it. I have an ID theft security service so I feel like I don't need to pay attention.

muddream

Banned
^they often start off that way...give it a few weeks and you'll be looking forward to Will Chope putting it all on the line.

http://steamdb.info/blog/39/

Judging by those prices, I'm getting a PS4.

I see there are really exciting fights on that but when i look at this all I can think is god why is Jake Shields still in the UFC? I'm going to pass out before the main event.

I'm genuinely surprised he hasn't yet been shanked backstage by a disgruntled someone tbh. Former opponent, gambler, hardcore NHB fan, traumatic brain injury troops...too many possibilities.

72499-minion-WHAT-gif-Imgur-02n6.gif

MjFrancis

I see there are really exciting fights on that but when i look at this all I can think is god why is Jake Shields still in the UFC? I'm going to pass out before the main event.
Especially in an era where ranked fighters like Jon Fitch and Yushin Okami get cut. Jake Shields has to be next on that list.

If Wand beats Chael than he must be a good fight or 2 away from a title shot. A man can dream.

I think there is no way Weidman can take Lyoto. That will be his toughest test imo. Machida eats wrestlers alive and dont mention Davis cuz he always sucked. Hes no better than Ryan Bader.

If the odds are good, I think it might be a good idea to throw some cash down on Hec to KO Shields

muddream

Banned
Surviving that 1.5 round TRT Vitor rush has to be anyone's toughest test, that includes Cain. That guy's steroids use steroids...we're at the stage where his aura alone makes people in his vicinity get swole and aggressive, did you not catch the crazy veins on his wife's forehead?

MjFrancis

I don't know that Akiyama is even fighting anymore. It's been close to two years since his last fight and he lost four in a row. And speaking of that, I don't know that he's even signed to the UFC at this point.

I am not a weathersmith ..nor a mathematologist, but im fairly sure its exactly minus half a billion degrees in ny today.

Yes and it sucks.

Nice, so that WWE 2K dlc comes out today. Too bad they don't have Virg's NWO Vincent attire.

He really had the easiest job on the WCW roster during those days.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I wasn't exactly being serious with the Davis-Weidman mma-math, but there is a difference between Bader and Davis. One got KO'd by Machida without landing anything, the other made it to the closing bell and apparently did enough to earn the nod. Davis had a big size advantage which makes me think Machida would shove around most wrestlers at 185, but Weidman is probably as good or even better at grappling in the cage as Phil and he's a better striker. He'd probably force Machida to be active as well. Assuming Lyoto beats Gegard and Weidman defeats the church's biological weapons program it should be a good fight.

Heel

"Dana White told me last week he was 'talking' to Brock Lesnar but wouldn't announce anything until a signing." - Lance Pugmire, LA Times (@latimespugmire)

I'd say the interest is real on Dana's end, though Brock could just be playing both sides to his benefit.

Dana is likely up late at night in a flop sweat, ears ringing, wondering where he's gonna rustle up some pay-per-view buys in 2014. If you really think about it, there aren't a ton of true monster fights on the table if GSP and Silver are out of the picture.

Jones vs. Cain
Rousey vs. Cyborg
Jones vs. Gus II, I guess?

Someone better call Freddy and arrange a business meeting on a seedy island with Putin acting as mediator.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
I don't even see Machida beating Gegard...he's always looked shitty against solid strikers that don't fall for his feints.
Wouldn't be surprised to see him go for takedowns.

I'd say the interest is real on Dana's end, though Brock could just be playing both sides to his benefit.

Dana is likely up late at night in a flop sweat, ears ringing, wondering where he's gonna rustle up some pay-per-view buys in 2014. If you really think about it, there aren't a ton of true monster fights on the table if GSP and Silver are out of the picture.

Jones vs. Cain
Rousey vs. Cyborg

Someone better call Freddy and arrange a business meeting on a seedy island with Putin acting as mediator.

Women's 115.

Tiny Tornado v. Thug Rose II in the TUF Final for the strap. Tiny Tornado v. Thug Rose III as the biggest PPV Main in UFC history on the Dec. show.

Boom.

Problem solved.

muddream

Banned
Good luck. If you can buy two pairs of gloves and a few wraps. They get funky very quickly.

Wraps obviously, but one pair of decent leather gloves is enough if he's only planning on going twice a week. Mouthguard is the most important thing for a beginner, a decent gym should be able to provide the rest until you've made your mind up.

Wraps obviously, but one pair of decent leather gloves is enough if he's only planning on going twice a week. Mouthguard is the most important thing for a beginner, a decent gym should be able to provide the rest until you've made your mind up.

A pair for bag work a pair for sparring. I aint sparring with 8 oz gloves breh.

Good luck. If you can buy two pairs of gloves and a few wraps. They get funky very quickly.

Definitely agree on the wraps.

You can make a home-made glove dryer. As long as you buy real leather and keep em dry, and don't let them get moldy, you're gold.

Multiple sets of wraps are a must. I recommend the long Mexican-style ones. I always used the yellow ones from Ringside, and they served me well. They have just the right combo of stretchiness and sweat absorption. Get one of those mesh bags the ladies use for washing their nylons in, or a zippered pillowcase if you machine wash, otherwise you'll tangle that shit up real good in the washer and screw everything up. Never bleach your wraps. If you feel like they need more disinfecting than real hot soapy water, spray em down with Lysol and let them sit before washing them.

Also, make sure all your gear, and your body is clean, every time, and make sure your gym enforces this as well. Skin infections suck, but they can also make you lose body parts or even kill you.

EDIT: The wraps I liked: http://www.ringside.com/ringside/ringside-mexican-style-boxing-handwraps-5-pack-215.html

Definitely agree on the wraps.

You can make a home-made glove dryer. As long as you buy real leather and keep em dry, and don't let them get moldy, you're gold.

Multiple sets of wraps are a must. I recommend the long Mexican-style ones. I always used the yellow ones from Ringside, and they served me well. They have just the right combo of stretchiness and sweat absorption. Get one of those mesh bags the ladies use for washing their nylons in, or a zippered pillowcase if you machine wash, otherwise you'll tangle that shit up real good in the washer and screw everything up. Never bleach your wraps. If you feel like they need more disinfecting than real hot soapy water, spray em down with Lysol and let them sit before washing them.

Also, make sure all your gear, and your body is clean, every time, and make sure your gym enforces this as well. Skin infections suck, but they can also make you lose body parts or even kill you.

EDIT: The wraps I liked: http://www.ringside.com/ringside/ringside-mexican-style-boxing-handwraps-5-pack-215.html

I strictly just recommend having a reasonable amount of gear for cleanliness sake. Staph is not fun and it really doesnt take much to get it.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Jones vs. Cain
Rousey vs. Cyborg

I would cross off Jones/Gus 2. I remember thinking Edgar/Maynard III would do big business after how excellent the 2nd fight was and I'm pretty sure the buyrate was actually worse. Gus isn't a star and Jones is still just a champion people refuse to get behind for one reason or another. In pro wrestling terms, he's the guy getting the Superman push that still hears crickets when he walks to the ring. He's Alberto Del Rio.

And if I'm Brock Lesnar, you couldn't pay me to do MMA again, sorry. Brock has the sweetest deal in sports entertainment right now. Show up on Raw or a PPV about a dozen times a year, stand there while Paul Heyman talks him up and pretend to shatter forearms with his dangerous Kimura Lock submission hold and take home a good 3-4 million doing it. Yeah, fuck MMA.

MjFrancis

And if I'm Brock Lesnar, you couldn't pay me to do MMA again, sorry. Brock has the sweetest deal in sports entertainment right now. Show up on Raw or a PPV about a dozen times a year, stand there while Paul Heyman talks him up and pretend to shatter forearms with his dangerous Kimura Lock submission hold and take home a good 3-4 million doing it. Yeah, fuck MMA.
That's the problem isn't it... if you're a big enough star to pull in millions in MMA, you're probably big enough to figure out a way to pull in millions while not getting punched in the face.

Given the option most people would rather not be punched in the face.

i would feed Lesnar a couple of low level guys like HD Barry and Vera and then have him putting someone over.

problem is, there's no one worthy of being put over. he did it with Reem and dude fucked up the rub.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
i would feed Lesnar a couple of low level guys like HD Barry and Vera and then have him putting someone over.

problem is, there's no one worthy of being put over. he did it with Reem and dude fucked up the rub.
Hapa?

LOL, just kidding. Even I laughed after just typing that. Man these months are this sport's offseason. Ain't nothing interesting going on for a while.

Top Bottom