• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

Heel

Time to bust out the PRASHOOT and muzzarelle, brehs.

http://new.livestream.com/pinkmonkeytv/slamfc6

Slam FC, the Italian promotion that brought you this Bad MMA classic.

http://www.slamfc.com/events/

trentacoste-190x238.png
Achilli-190x238.png
maniaci1-190x238.png

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
All Reem had to do was stop punching and knee Hapa on the ground. :(
Under PRIDE rules he would have been legit killed. Of course if they ever got rid of that three-point rule they'd probably allow 12-6 elbows as well, in which case Browne would probably put his back on the fence and internally decapitate anyone who ever shot on him.

Best fucking MMA poster ever
The bottom half looks like it could be for a metal album and then the top part with "SLAM" and a naked guy playing with a snake makes it look like it could be for a gay nightclub.

I've never watched hockey outside of fight highlights. This fight makes me wonder, are fights an allowed part of the game? The refs just stand there watching for a long time and I can't tell why they decide to break it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BashI3QX0KA#t=73

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
The bottom half looks like it could be for a metal album and then the top part with "SLAM" and a naked guy playing with a snake makes it look like it could be for a gay nightclub.

I've never watched hockey outside of fight highlights. This fight makes me wonder, are fights an allowed part of the game? The refs just stand there watching for a long time and I can't tell why they decide to break it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BashI3QX0KA#t=73

I think they must, seen a ref just skate around 2 dudes waiting for them to punch on. Like the Southpark cripple fight.

ShaneB

Yes fighting is "allowed" in Hockey, outside the fact they they get a 5 minute penalty like any other infraction, among some other rules.

i've grown tired of the nonsense and wish fighting would be altogether illegal/banned in Hockey. Some of those goons say if they can't fight or be physical, they'd be out of a job. Well good riddance to them, if they want to fight, start training some MMA and fight in a safer enviroment.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Hopefully he can figure out how to do this with Mir. Fellow PRIDE aluminum hero Josh Barnett figured this much out at least, so why can't Reem?

Overeem/Mir has Reem/Werdum 2 written all over it.

With that said:

Mir loses: hopefully gets his trilogy with Brock as a retirement match before getting into the Hall of Fame.

Reem loses: We'll see how fast those bridges to Glory can be unburned.

Hopefully he can figure out how to do this with Mir. Fellow PRIDE aluminum hero Josh Barnett figured this much out at least, so why can't Reem?

i'm still salty Josh lost. he had the right gameplan but he should've just jab and kick Hapa's legs in the 1st, Hapa gasses quickly. then in the seconds he goes for the TD and sub.

Reem loses: We'll see how fast those bridges to Glory can be unburned.

Sefo will be hiding in a toilet with a WSOF contract ready to go.

industrian

Rodney Dangerfield said it best: "I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out."

industrian

Sefo will be hiding in a toilet with a WSOF contract ready to go.

I would imagine that Reem's already-destroyed MMA "aura" would be totally beyond repair in losing to Mir.

That said, a Chinguard-on-a-pole-match between Reem and Arlovski would be quite something.

But in all honesty, his American MMA career is done if he loses to Mir. Between escaping from victory against Browne, trying to be Anderson Silva against Bigfoot, and destroying what could have been the greatest HW matchup of the decade in getting caught having elevated levels, there's very little left of that gargantuan momentum he had coming into the UFC (ZOMG K1, STRIKEFORCE AND DREAM CHAMP!!1!) combined with the fact that he was put over by Brock.

I 100% guarantee that Machida KO's Mousasi. They should have separated these two as potential contenders for Weidman. Should have given Lyoto Tim Kennedy and Mousasi Bisping

MjFrancis

But in all honesty, his American MMA career is done if he loses to Mir. Between escaping from victory against Browne, trying to be Anderson Silva against Bigfoot, and destroying what could have been the greatest HW matchup of the decade in getting caught having elevated levels, there's very little left of that gargantuan momentum he had coming into the UFC (ZOMG K1, STRIKEFORCE AND DREAM CHAMP!!1!) combined with the fact that he was put over by Brock.
That is why I would expect Overeem to fight like a beast. He loses, his career is over. As it is, it will take a lot of convincing for him to get another contract as good as the one he first got. He's getting paid ridiculous amounts of money for what he's given back.

Frank Mir, win or lose, gets into the UFC hall of fame and stays on the UFC payroll in some fashion. He won't fight anymore if he loses, but he isn't getting kicked to the curb.

Almost makes you think that he is the one to take another dive for the team, just so they can hope to salvage the mess Overeem has gotten them into.

MjFrancis

Overeem is a glass-jawed HW with KO power. Even though a fix is just tin-foil hat trolling, he could certainly use one right now.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Yeah. The storyline gets screwed up if he loses

If Reem loses than this is the worst MMA disaster since Crocop joined the UFC.

UFC wouldn't have any problem with Overeem being a complete failure. He's not a UFC guy. He had all of his success outside of the UFC, then came to the major leagues and got put in his place. That story is far better for the UFC than Overeem winning at this point. Three fights ago, sure, they would have liked to see him win to potentially have a HW star. Now he's just another one in the line of guys they can use to prove their assertion that the UFC is the only place where the best fighters compete.

I would cross off Jones/Gus 2. I remember thinking Edgar/Maynard III would do big business after how excellent the 2nd fight was and I'm pretty sure the buyrate was actually worse. Gus isn't a star and Jones is still just a champion people refuse to get behind for one reason or another. In pro wrestling terms, he's the guy getting the Superman push that still hears crickets when he walks to the ring. He's Alberto Del Rio.

And if I'm Brock Lesnar, you couldn't pay me to do MMA again, sorry. Brock has the sweetest deal in sports entertainment right now. Show up on Raw or a PPV about a dozen times a year, stand there while Paul Heyman talks him up and pretend to shatter forearms with his dangerous Kimura Lock submission hold and take home a good 3-4 million doing it. Yeah, fuck MMA.
The exact name I thought of when I started to read your analogy.

UFC wouldn't have any problem with Overeem being a complete failure. He's not a UFC guy. He had all of his success outside of the UFC, then came to the major leagues and got put in his place. That story is far better for the UFC than Overeem winning at this point. Three fights ago, sure, they would have liked to see him win to potentially have a HW star. Now he's just another one in the line of guys they can use to prove their assertion that the UFC is the only place where the best fighters compete.

yep, Reem is what Dana wanted out of Fedor: to come to the UFC, get bodied and expose the competition as bush league.

speaking of Del Rio, sign him Dana. he could be half decent if he's not taking dives in Japan.

VoxPop

idk, dat Syliva HW era was pretty epic. Tim Sylvia the GOAT

Yeah that's pretty hard to beat. But I put CroCop up there with Justin Eilers and Cabbage.

muddream said:
The Tito/Chuck/Randy trifecta did even worse than Sylvia/Arlovski/Mir after the merger.

To be fair Chuck and Randy were both 40+

One person who I didn't see get enough respect is Big Nog. Dude has fought the toughest, always when they were at the most dangerous stage [even while some were exposed], and continues to fight today. Fought most of them at the height of their runs. It's as if he was the weeding out process for guys like CroCop and Fedor.

Nog's

1. Horn [37-5] 40 fights and a win over chuck liddell under his belt (nog had just 5 then)
2. Hendo [7-0]
3. Sapp [2-0] the beast in his prime, 350lbs of bison meat, just prior to his wins over hoost
4. Schilt [22-11]
5. Hendo [12-2]
6. Fedor [13-1]
7. Ricco [14-2] beat randy for the hw title then lost it to sylvia right before fighting nog
8. CroCop [7-0]
9. Sergei [9-0]
10. Fedor [21-1]
11. Nastula [0-0] dude is a fucking stud
12. Werdum [8-1]
13. Barnett [22-3]
14. Barnett [23-4]
15. Sylvia [24-3] for interim title
16. Mir [11-3]
17. Couture [16-9]
18. Cain [7-0]
19. Schaub [8-1] on a nice little run losing only to big country and ko'ing cc just prior
20. Mir [16-5]
21. Werdum [16-5]

Fuck if JDS didn't train with him, he'd probably fight him too.

Here are CroCop's and Fedor's for comparison

Fedor's

1. Babalu [19-2]
2. Schilt [22-10] coming off his win over musashi
3. Nog [19-1]
4. Ogawa [7-0] olympic silver medalist on a nice little run
5. Nog [24-2]
6. CroCop [16-2]
7. Sylvia [24-4] fresh off his loss to nog
8. Arlovski [15-5]
9. Rogers [10-0]
10. Werdum [13-4]
11. Big Foot [15-2]
12. Dan Henderson [27-8]

Considering Fedor was champion and consensus #1 at the time, his resume is pretty meh.

CroCop's

1. Wand [19-3] special rules fight
2. Del Rio [3-2]
3. Nog [20-2]
4. Waterman [10-1]
5. Aleks [3-0]
6. Barnett [18-1]
7. Fedor [23-1]
8. Barnett [18-2]
9. Wand [31-5] @ HW
10. Barnett [22-3]
11. Gonzaga [7-1]
12. Ubereem [28-11]
13. JDS [8-1]
14. Mir [13-5]
15. Schaub [7-1]
16. Nelson [15-6]

Cro Cop was the most exciting one.

Pre knee surgery he moved so well and he had the most beautiful kicks. His KO over Igor will probably go down as the best headkick KO of all of MMA. It looked beautiful and it had the power. A shame the US audience will remember him as a kickboxer that tried the ultimate...

Nogueira received the most damage in his career. Jesus christ...look at that lsit of opponents...he ate a prime Fedor GnP 3 freakin' times, prime CroCop kicks, prime juiced to the max Sapp GnP, oh god Cain and got his arm snapped like a toothpick by Mir...

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Same as the expiration date of this god forsaken sport.
Every sport I'm following is getting good except this one. The NFL playoffs are great as are the firings. The best futbol player in the world just came back from injury and the transfer window opened. Player movement in the NBA as well.

This sport? Strikeforce Challenger cards under the guise of UFC every other week on tv.

Vio-Lence

Banned
9.99 per month for wwe crushes fight pass ultimate value. Vince makes Dana his bitch.

Excellent catalog plus all new ppvs compared to bum fights china.

Dysun

What is the WWE Network for us unenlightened cretins? Free PPV's and the video backlog on demand? Like Wrestlemania or slummy shit like No Mercy

Top Bottom