• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
What is the WWE Network for us unenlightened cretins? Free PPV's and the video backlog on demand? Like Wrestlemania or slummy shit like No Mercy

Apparently it's everything, judging by the reactions in the thread on it. Live PPVs and full PPV archive access. UFC's Fight Pass was a joke regardless of this, but it's hilarious that the only other company so dependent on PPV success sees the writing on the wall while the UFC is making people pay more for PPV and then making them pay for limited archive access and cards with people who were working as janitors in the arena a week before the fights.

edit: Even better, I would have jumped on $15 a month with a 12 month commitment for every UFC event online, and now WWE is offering it for 10/month with 6 month obligation.

Heel

I eagerly await Ariel bringing this up in his next Dana interview.

"What you have to fucking understand is, we have a billion dollar pay-per-view business."

Any way you slice it, Vincent just came through with the ether.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
What is the WWE Network for us unenlightened cretins? Free PPV's and the video backlog on demand? Like Wrestlemania or slummy shit like No Mercy

8. What content will WWE Network feature?
WWE Network is a 24/7 streaming service with both scheduled programming and an on-demand library. WWE Network will include all 12 WWE live pay-per-view events including WrestleMania 30, groundbreaking original series, reality shows and documentaries, and the most comprehensive video-on-demand library featuring all WWE, WCW and ECW pay-per-views and classic matches uncut and uncensored as well as replays of Raw and SmackDown episodes. Additional programming, including a live daily studio show coming this summer, and video-on-demand content will be added regularly.

Fight Pass just got thrown off the top of the cell.

Heel

The contrast between the two presentations really highlights the UFC's lack of showmanship and grandeur. They had 3 dudes sit around and peddle a "Chuck's favorite fights" playlist and rebranded AXS TV cards that air at 4:00 a.m from Manila. They should be embarrassed.

HOLY SHIT BROS!

I just told my dad about this and he is marking out.

lol my dad "FUCK VINCE IS A FUCKING GENIUS!" Seriously though from a business stand point he shits on anyone in the Sports entertainment world.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I think anyone who's ever been a wrestling fan before probably marked out. I haven't been this excited about sports entertainment in years.

I eagerly await Ariel bringing this up in his next Dana interview.

"What you have to fucking understand is, we have a billion dollar pay-per-view business."

Any way you slice it, Vincent just came through with the ether.

Ariel's got a pretty good handle on it:

Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani 1h
This presentation, service and price are very impressive but I don't think it's really fair to compare 12 WWE PPVs to 12 UFC PPVs. …

Simply because those UFC fighters are seen in action 3 or 4 (max) times a year. Big difference. Many of those WWE PPVs are glorified RAWs.

Of course, as we've recently learned, not all UFC PPVs are equal in more ways than one, but you get the point.

I agree with all that. UFC PPVs are a different animal. But yeah, creating the consumer perception of value is going to be considerably more challenging now for the UFC Fight Pass.

Dysun

If I was still 13 I'd be going apeshit

I hope it's a runaway success, Dana and Lorenzo need to get with the program

Chamber

love on your sleeve
BdgXYO_CQAAKFM1.jpg

Damn, HHH stay racking up W's brehs.
i6d7Cn4IT5x0n.png

Once I started getting into UFC I stopped watching WWE pretty much right away

I'd rather watch old MMA than any Pro Wrestling

Pretty sure the Fight Pass shows are still going to be on Sportsnet in Canada for the time being, including the Gus fight

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I just read about the WWE Network.

If it's available globally and not artificially constricted like the Fight Pass is, then I may subscribe. And I don't even watch wrestling anymore...

They're aiming for 800k to 1 million subs. And through my highschool-dropout math skill that's at least $90 million right there.

muddream

Banned
One person who I didn't see get enough respect is Big Nog. Dude has fought the toughest, always when they were at the most dangerous stage [even while some were exposed], and continues to fight today. Fought most of them at the height of their runs. It's as if he was the weeding out process for guys like CroCop and Fedor.

Yeah, he's easily got the most daring resume at HW. Up there with Chuck and Shogun as my favorite fighter, fought everybody and never been in a boring contest. Fedor was always injured, but Cro Cop had no excuse for being that protected and I'm glad he turned into a joke post-Pride.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=748319

I haven't watched wrasslin for 10 years and that actually makes me think about it. Fight Pass...lol.

ibcWuBkttmttIU.gif

Interesting to see both products being watched by both target groups...

Always thought people got older and jumped to "real" entertainment. I know Im one of those guys...

Dana got schooled. This is what happens when your business is run by con men, mafia and middle eastern money. The E is a true American capitalist enterprise, it congregated all wrestling territories under one roof. Vince is a captain of of industry.

Interesting to see both products being watched by both target groups...

Always thought people got older and jumped to "real" entertainment. I know Im one of those guys...

mid 80s to early 90s NWA/WCW stuff is still brilliant.

Flair, Windham, Rude, Steamboat, Luger when he was decent, Surfer Sting, Muta, Flyin' Bryan, Cactus Jack, Vader, Simmons, Dustin and Dusty, Steve Austin with hair. excellent in-ring product.

VoxPop

So I'm not really understanding this..

Is the WWE getting rid of its PPV structure completely? I don't get how its viable to keep it afloat especially with the WWE network around. The only ones who even order those shitty PPVs are the hardcore wrestling fans and I'm guessing 99% of them will get on the stream.

Speaking of which, just signed up for the Fight Pass. That thing looks like it was designed by some kid straight out of Devry. The library is pretty weak and I don't see it being a good value at all. I have a better organized pirated digital library ffs. WWE really hit a homerun with their service and hope it does well.

Ariel is right though. Their PPVs are nothing more than glorified RAWs so it makes sense at this point along with their dwindling PPV #s. But I'm hoping UFC follows suit and cuts down their # of PPVs for each year. Would be more than glad to have the entire Pride/UFC library along with PPVs for up to $30/month.

Is the WWE getting rid of its PPV structure completely? I don't get how its viable to keep it afloat especially with the WWE network around. The only ones who even order those shitty PPVs are the hardcore wrestling fans and I'm guessing 99% of them will get on the stream.

Speaking of which, just signed up for the Fight Pass. That thing looks like it was designed by some kid straight out of Devry. The library is pretty weak and I don't see it being a good value at all. I have a better organized pirated digital library ffs. WWE really hit a homerun with their service and hope it does well.

Ariel is right though. Their PPVs are nothing more than glorified RAWs so it makes sense at this point along with their dwindling PPV #s. But I'm hoping UFC follows suit and cuts down their # of PPVs for each year. Would be more than glad to have the entire Pride/UFC library along with PPVs for up to $30/month.

Cheaper PPV's or PPV's included with the service is where the true value lies.
Re watching MMA is much different than rewatching pro wrestling. The spectacle of MMA is watching it LIVE and the element of surprise. Its not really exciting re watching a fight where you know the outcome.

Dysun

http://www.mmamania.com/2014/1/9/52...-watch-women-fight-they-should-be-topless-mma

"The whole fight we have women in one room, men in another room. Rousey and Miesha come on and all the women just fucking gather around the TV like it's the fucking Kardashians coming on. I always said, 'I don't know why they put women in the UFC.' Now I know why. I just think this, if I'm [going] to pay $60 for a pay-per-view to watch women fight they should at least be topless. How many knockouts do you see in women's fights? It's not really my thing, I respect what they do, but look, they don't have the body type or the power, all that shit, for knockouts. If you're not a good grappler in women's MMA then you're behind. It's no different than the 125 [pound] division of men's MMA in that they're just really not built for knockouts."
-Matt Brown
Daily quote from an "ultimate fighter" with a brain the size of a peanut

sabu.png

MjFrancis

That $10/month price point is going to be the benchmark now. You really have to make it easier and more convenient to use the service than pirate, though - something Netflix has managed to do in spades.

MjFrancis

"The whole fight we have women in one room, men in another room. Rousey and Miesha come on and all the women just fucking gather around the TV like it's the fucking Kardashians coming on. I always said, 'I don't know why they put women in the UFC.' Now I know why. I just think this, if I'm [going] to pay $60 for a pay-per-view to watch women fight they should at least be topless. How many knockouts do you see in women's fights? It's not really my thing, I respect what they do, but look, they don't have the body type or the power, all that shit, for knockouts. If you're not a good grappler in women's MMA then you're behind. It's no different than the 125 [pound] division of men's MMA in that they're just really not built for knockouts."
-Matt Brown
Matt Brown is going to find himself on the receiving end of an impeding shitstorm.

Matthew Brown doing the lords work. He's only thinking about the future of the sport and i see no better way to crack 300k ppv buys other than his suggestion.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

I'm not sure about how the PPV structure is designed, but from what I understand: if you subscribe to the WWE Network you get everything including PPVs new and old.

Regarding financial viability: unlike with the UFC, the WWE has more than 2 ways to make money:

Top Revenue Sources - Q3-2013

(1) TV Rights - $44.1 million
(2) Live Events - $25.0 million
(3) PPV Revenue - $14.6 million
(4t) WWE.com - $5.7 million
(4t) Licensing - $5.7 million
(6) DVD Sales - $5.2 million
(7) Venue Merch - $4.0 million
(8) WWE Shop - $2.9 million
(9) WWE Studios - $1.8 million
(10) Magazines - $1.5 million

I doubt that their existing TV deals are going to be aversely affected by the WWE Network. But the main point here is that with over 800,000 subscribers (the stated "break even" point) one quarter of the WWE Network could effectively pull in over $20 million.

If WWE PPVs are simply glorified RAWs, then what the hell does that make UFC ones? Their fight nights are two steps above ProElite right now.

And the ball is definitely in the UFC's court with the pricing and content of the Fight Pass. Vince McMahon has well and truly set the standard of inclusive fight networks. The era of PPVs for sporting organisations is coming to an end.

Personally I'd pay $20-30 no questions asked for high-quality, unrestricted access to the UFC's live PPVs & events and historical fights. But like I remember Dana telling Ariel a while back, the UFC are "not an internet company."

Heel

It's perfect timing because all of their television rights expire shortly. I believe they can enter the open market in February for a new deal that starts at the end of the year. You have to think their negotiations include rights to stream their weekly programming in some form. They're going to get a huge TV deal.

moneyvl9rd5o.gif

Come to FOX and save our sport, Vince.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
WWE says they need 800k-1mil subs to break even on this venture. I think that's attainable given their current fanbase and the old disillusioned fans they're going to rope in with their library.

I hope it works out anyway.

Heel

Yeah, the real challenge is retaining subscribers. I expect them to dangle the carrot every 6 months with new additions from their gigantic video library.

I feel like Heel is going to attempt another Wrestlegaf stunt.

Chamber, I need a tag partner my breh.

of course it's gonna be sucessful, they got the (s)marks by the balls.

the new "i'm not gonna tune in next Monday" is gonna be "no way i'm gonna renew the subscription".

but they will, cause they can't live without this shit.

How fuckin difficult can it be to remaster all Pride/WEC events and make them part of the fight pass content.

With all numbered UFC/Pride events including tournaments it would make a great product...you know...since they bought the freaking Pride content for millionz of dollahs!

Imagine a great site layout...with all of the fight posters and complete infos of the events. 720/1080 resolution and bath in money holmes!
Im not fond

Im not fond of Zuffas financial status but maybe they could buy the Pancrase rights and co. and make it the ultimate MMA content website.

VoxPop

Cheaper PPV's or PPV's included with the service is where the true value lies.
Re watching MMA is much different than rewatching pro wrestling. The spectacle of MMA is watching it LIVE and the element of surprise. Its not really exciting re watching a fight where you know the outcome.

I kinda disagree with that. I have a great time rewatching old fights and I especially love UFC's Best of 2011/2012 and whatever docus. Best of 2013 is on tonight btw. It's just a different feeling. I try to rewatch some old pro wren once in a while and I really cringe. It hasn't aged really well and if I wasn't such a mark back then, it really wouldn't be as enjoyable today.

industrian said:
If WWE PPVs are simply glorified RAWs, then what the hell does that make UFC ones? Their fight nights are two steps above ProElite right now.

And the ball is definitely in the UFC's court with the pricing and content of the Fight Pass. Vince McMahon has well and truly set the standard of inclusive fight networks. The era of PPVs for sporting organisations is coming to an end.

Personally I'd pay $20-30 no questions asked for high-quality, unrestricted access to the UFC's live PPVs & events and historical fights. But like I remember Dana telling Ariel a while back, the UFC are "not an internet company."

Yeah while most UFC PPVs aren't anything spectacular, they do hold a lot more ground then watching Cena and Orton go at it for the 29457359th time in some gimmicky match. Only Mania and the Rumble are worth a damn at this point. Especially in an era where wrestling is a complete joke.

The WWE network is definitely the gold standard right now but I don't see any way of UFC surviving on a monthly internet network @ 9.99/mo. I really do hope this is the new model going forward and think it would definitely help the UFC's exposure but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

If they were to do something like that, I'd rather have FOX give them their own channel with a VOD service.

Heel said:
Yeah, the real challenge is retaining subscribers. I expect them to dangle the carrot every 6 months with new additions from their gigantic video library.

Yeah, while there's plenty of content, people are going to get sick of it eventually. Slowly $9.99/mo for a WWE PPV won't even be considered a value. Luckily they're throwing in a lot of original content. Would be sweet if they threw their DVDs on there.

Sato Koiji said:
How fuckin difficult can it be to remaster all Pride events and make them part of the fight pass content.

With all numbered UFC/Pride events including tournaments it would make a great product...you know...since they bought the freaking Pride content for millionz of dollahs!

Imagine a great site layout...with all of the fight posters and complete infos of the events. 720/1080 resolution and bath in money holmes!

Slowly getting there :p All 720/60FPS. Too lazy to resize the posters though. Had a shit ton more before my HDD crapped out. Had it nice and organized with event info on XBMC. Got a long way to go though. I can see why it is a pain in the ass for UFC. Not sure why the Mayweather/Canelo fight is in there either. Got confused from all the clinching.

Top Bottom