• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

Dana and Joe need to convince Sergio Pettis to drop to 125. He was looking a little pudgy so I think he could probably do it fairly easily at his age. He's dynamic but he's going to struggle against guys with size/reach advantages over him constantly. The UFC could use a good striker at 125 too.

I was thinking this too. Leroy looked big compared to him.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone's getting worked, and have been for five months. It's glorious.

dream

In the last Observer, there was a writeup of a Daniel Bryan interview where he said this:

Bryan was on WGRD radio in Grand Rapids to promote Smackdown, and said that WWE has never seen any money in him, and was outspoken about the WWE’s direction of his character. He said to this day, even with the loud fan reactions, he still doesn’t think the company sees money in him, and he said this is very frustrating for him. He said this isn’t an objective business like football. He noted that the company thinks he’s getting a great crowd reaction but don’t think he’s selling tickets or getting people buying PPVs, and he said that’s really about what it’s about? He said sometimes it is frustrating dealing with the politics because he’s not a political person. He said he’s easy going, and as far as being successful in WWE, that’s his biggest doubtful. He said he doesn’t know why he connects with the crowd at the level it is, he said there are guys as good as him who don’t connect, he couldn’t teach it and he can’t explain it. He said he got popular without what guys like Hogan and Austin got, where they almost never lost. He said the day after WrestleMania he lost to Langston in three minutes, and before he main evented SummerSlam he lost to Sandow in four minutes on TV. He noted he’s never been the guy who the company has ever wanted to be the guy, and he said you can get crowd reactions like that for only so long but it won’t endure if you aren’t protected in booking. He compared himself to Clay Guida, who he said at one time was everyones’s favorite UFC fighter, and at one point everyone was rooting for him, but he kept losing, people still like him, even love him but nobody buys PPV to see him. He said for long-term success as a main event star like Hogan, Austin or Cena, you have to be proteced in booking and that’s never happened with him. He said he doesn’t get frustrated easily and sometimes the crowd forces the company’s hands to do things they really don’t want to do. Bryan did say the company has gotten behind an idea from the Bella Twins that will be marketed called “The Yes Movement.” He talked about being in Seattle and how the fans hijacked the main event segment, and he thought it was awesome because it was for him.

Which I found to be an amazingly astute and accurate analogy. Who gives a fuck about Clay Guida?

He compared himself to Clay Guida, who he said at one time was everyones’s favorite UFC fighter, and at one point everyone was rooting for him, but he kept losing, people still like him, even love him but nobody buys PPV to see him.

lol, no one likes Guida now. maybe Benson/GSP fans.

Bryan did say the company has gotten behind an idea from the Bella Twins that will be marketed called “The Yes Movement.”

dude can't even come up with his own ideas.

Heel

Nathan Diaz ‏@NateDiaz209 2h
I would've done a interview but they scared to call I think UFC got you all in check... #marks

2W42T4R.jpg

The greatest run-on sentence in the history of our sport, via the power of iOS 6.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
You simply can't teach charisma like that. Sonnen would spend hours consulting with his writer and his copy of the Big Book of Pro-Wrestling Promos trying to come up with something that hit that many targets; Nate does it knowing he's got 46 texts to read and only 16% battery left.

Dysun

Nathan Diaz ‏@NateDiaz209 2h
I would've done a interview but they scared to call I think UFC got you all in check... #marks

2W42T4R.jpg

The greatest run-on sentence in the history of our sport, via the power of iOS 6.
181 words no punctuation love the fucking diaz brothers

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Everyone's getting worked, and have been for five months. It's glorious.

All of the WWE's dumb shit stories over the last decade have been works. I don't see why anyone should feel better about the product for that reason.

Regardless, I will continue to favor NJPW over the UFC and WWE as my sports entertainment brand of choice.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Bendo is having the Mighty Mouse effect of ruining 155 for me, which is very difficult to do since 155 is stacked and full of scrappers. Fucking anti-fighter getting gift decisions all the time, I want him to be on other end of a robbery for once.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
All of the WWE's dumb shit stories over the last decade have been works. I don't see why anyone should feel better about the product for that reason.

Regardless, I will continue to favor NJPW over the UFC and WWE as my sports entertainment brand of choice.

NJPW is the best scripted wrasslin out there, bar none.

Nate Diaz dropping truth bombs all over the place.

Who's he referring to as the sillyasssuitwearing motherfucker?

probably Showtime, they showed him during his brother fight and he looked guido mafia.

speaking of Showtime, Pettis Jr got no power. Leeroy did more damage with one straight left than baby Pettis with 500 strikes.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
All the more reason for baby Pettis to drop to 125. He'll fit right in with the rest of the pillow-fisted munchkins.

Heel

lol piling on a 20 year old boy who should be fighting for Tachi Palace if the UFC kept their roster under 500 fighters. Kid was tooling a 9 fight UFC veteran, made a rookie mistake and paid for it.

Let's have this conversation in 3 years if the UFC hasn't completely ruined the kid by then. I don't think he's the next Dan Lauzon.

lol piling on a 20 year old boy who should be fighting for Tachi Palace if the UFC kept their roster under 500 fighters. Kid was tooling a 9 fight UFC veteran, made a rookie mistake and paid for it.

Let's have this conversation in 3 years if the UFC hasn't completely ruined the kid by then. I don't think he's the next Dan Lauzon.

Seriously, can the kid learn a lesson before you say he failed the class.?

"He was winning before he lost"

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

Agreed.

best part was his striking doing jack shit to Leeroy in the first 2 rounds so baby Pettis plan for the third... more striking.

son, if you keep hacking the tree and it doesn't come down, the problem is with the axe.

Vio-Lence

Banned
not that I'm a fan of Benson "Praise Jesus" Henderson, but when's the last time Gilbert fought somebody that didn't go to decision? Japanese import super can "Crusher".

Dude can't even finish a load of laundry.

THE FRAUD!!

Heel

"He was winning before he lost"

A loss is a loss, but it's hard to deny that he showed flashes of talent. I'll admit that failing to beat a complete bottom-rung jobber like Bruce Leeroy tempers all short-term expectations, though. There aren't many match-ups easier for him than that at 135.

I dont see him cracking the top five. Unless he embraces his role as a pillow fisted technical striker.

Yeah, that was a disappointment. I think he was afraid to empty his tank. No budo.

not that I'm a fan of Benson "Praise Jesus" Henderson, but when's the last time Gilbert fought somebody that didn't go to decision? Japanese import super can "Crusher".

Dude can't even finish a load of laundry.

THE FRAUD!!

lol breh there's entertaining decisions and then there's Benson Henderson fights. I know you can tell the difference. Gil vs. Pettis is lightning in a bottle, even if it goes 25.

Agreed good friend Heel. Dudes is piling on a kid who is likely going to be smashing the rest of whatever division he chooses in the next couple years.

Mighty Mouse and Bendo comparison would have made sense prior to Mouse making Joseph see my little ponies flying over his head.

Dude wrecked benevidez and submitted Moraga. Bendo hasn't proved critics wrong at all.

Heel

Apparently there's a media lunch with Dana and a reporter is throwing bombs. I hope this is on tape.

https://twitter.com/Erik_Fontanez

Dana saying that things he says about fighters (negative things) are no schtick. Reporter next to me wondering if it's real.

Dana went to "Fighting is in our DNA." Reporter argues against it, saying that's just not true.

Dana now demanding PR rep to put together growth chart from UFC 100 to now for reporter.

Dana stands up from lunch table because "I'm getting fired up."

White now touting how Jones-Gustafsson was a seller for star power. Still standing up.

Reporter tells Dana: "I love your passionate speech that was all bullshit."

Dana says they beat the NBA. Reporter says not according to Harris poll. Dana says he'll send him facts. "I'll bury you in facts."

Reporter: You still doing that reality show?

Dana and reporter now arguing about saving peoples lives through training in MMA. Reporter says "You can't tell me punching saves lives!"

Reporter calling out Dana is TJ Simmers of the OC Register.

Reporter now eating his lunch, no more questions for Dana. Now letting other reporters ask questions. He called us all Dana's "brethren."

Reporter: Why wouldn't you use the "numbered event" (PPV) to get numbers on free TV.

Dana: We are getting the numbers.

Reporter to Dana: You're a manipulator. You're teaching your fighters how to manipulate. You're a marketer.

Dana criticizes WWE network saying that Vince McMahon is saying "Everything we do is worth $10."

Reporter to Dana: "Why can't you get into New York?" I took a deep breath.

Reporter: "$54.99?!" regarding PPV price.

Dana just told me he got all the facts on paper to give to the reporter. He referred to the reporter as "Negator."

iz9oFv3QLRFbI.gif

Dysun

Nobody outside of Brazil is going to see TUF Brazil 3 then

Unless you are inclined to go out of your way and download it

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Dana criticizes WWE network saying that Vince McMahon is saying "Everything we do is worth $10."

The current WWE product isn't worth $10 actually. The appeal is the back library. That said, the UFC's current product isn't worth $10 either.

Wait just a minute...

Erik Fontanez ‏@Erik_Fontanez
Huge fight broke out in Brazil today, says White. Chael and Wand fought. "Crazy shit," says Dana

herman-cain-smile.gif

Top Bottom