• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

MjFrancis

9d2OMzn.png
I won't be getting the Fight Pass for this, Mr. White.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Nathan Diaz ‏@NateDiaz209 2h
I would've done a interview but they scared to call I think UFC got you all in check... #marks

2W42T4R.jpg

The greatest run-on sentence in the history of our sport, via the power of iOS 6.

It's right there with Batmans and Liam Neesons.

MjFrancis

I finally read that run-on sentence. I put it off because I know how painful it is to read anything sans punctuation. Fibromyalgia starts acting up when I read shit like grappling is "causing confusion to the fans."

Dysun

http://www.nj.com/super-bowl/index.ssf/2014/01/super_bowl_media_day_ufc.html

NEWARK — There was a big shiny belt making its way around the arena floor at Super Bowl Media Day on Tuesday morning. It was for the UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) and some members of the Denver Broncos were being asked to pose with it. The championship belt is pretty big and pretty ornate, so it catches your eye when you first see it.

And that's where the NFL had a problem with it.

Super Bowl Media Day is the NFL's show and while it credentials "reporters" from Nickelodeon (there was a guy dressed as a superhero), Spain (there was a guy dressed as Waldo) and Entertainment Tonight (um, self-explanatory) — it doesn't like anyone infringing on its event. So when an NFL official spotted a woman and a camera crew walking around the Prudential Center floor asking some Broncos to pose with the title belt, that wasn't going to fly.

"What is that?" the NFL official asked.

"The UFC title belt," the woman responded. "Want to hold it?"

Turns out the NFL official — Dennis Kayser, Senior Director of On-Field Operations for the league — didn't. He then politely asked the UFC folks to leave.

"We don't want this around here," he said. "This is wrestling stuff, right? Yeah, we don't want that associated with us and this event. This is the NFL."

The woman and her cameraman argued that UFC — which is mixed martial arts, not professional wrestling — is a corporate partner through Fox Sports. (Fox will broadcast Super Bowl XLVIII on Sunday). Kayser was dubious of that. The woman then called over Fox Sports reporter and TV personality, Jay Glazer, who hosts UFC shows on the network to back her claim.

Glazer asserted that they were allowed to be in the building and were not trying to step on the NFL's toes in any way.

Kayser seemed convinced by Glazer's presence and argument. But he wanted to be clear that the crew was not to overshadow anything the NFL is trying to do on Tuesday's Media Day.

"Alright," he said. "But only do it with players on the floor. No podiums."
lmao.
Off-topic but Is anybody excited about this Super Bowl card, it has to be one of the weakest SB cards they've ever done.

http://www.nj.com/super-bowl/index.ssf/2014/01/super_bowl_media_day_ufc.html

lmao.
Off-topic but Is anybody excited about this Super Bowl card, it has to be one of the weakest SB cards they've ever done.
Dana is so trying hard to be the NFL but he cant even be in yhe same room as the NFL. Not even a cute little reporter broad would get them in. The E's network is clearly getting to Dana, there is virtually no content for Fight Pass at launxh, no app in 2014. By having a free trial, Dana is showing me the app isn't even WORTH FREE. Whats he to do now?

MjFrancis

I want to see the last three fights of the main card, but that's about it. At $20/fight, that just doesn't work out for me. I might stop in a bar and enjoy a couple of beers for the final hour of the show. That will set me back $10 + the inconvenience of leaving the house to do something.

I completely forgot there was even a card this weekend. And I think Jose Aldo is one of the best scrappers out there, one of my favorites.

Dysun

The last 3 fights on the card are the only ones I care about and the only ones featuring fighters I actually recognize.

I dont think I can name a Ricardo Lamas fight. The name is familiar and I can say I've probably seen like 90% of UFC cards but I'm drawing a blank. Faber Barao II does nothing for me, I saw the first shit show in Calgary. Faber 3.0 (4.0?) isn't going to keep up

Alistair vs Mir is the most interesting fight on the card. One can is getting crushed for good

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I dont think I can name a Ricardo Lamas fight. The name is familiar and I can say I've probably seen like 90% of UFC cards but I'm drawing a blank. Faber Barao II does nothing for me, I saw the first shit show in Calgary. Faber 3.0 (4.0?) isn't going to keep up

Alistair vs Mir is the most interesting fight on the card. One can is getting crushed for good
I legit thought Aldo was rematching Money Mendes...

Russ-Troll.gif

This sport is dead.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Jerry's suggestion is the best. Nothing will trump a billion dollar company, corporate partner, getting small-timed by the NFL and only getting bailed out because Jay Glazer happened to be around.

If Ricardo Llamas came to my front door right now I'd assume he was some punk kid trying to sell me magazines.

UFC 169: Not the Smelliest Thing in New Jersey

UFC 169: Faber Title Shot #7

As a hardcore, super into UFC fan that watches everything I'm excited for all the fights on the main card but I just don't see how they can expect a casual to pay for it. Do that many people even know who Lamas, Lineker, Baugitonov, Varner, and Trujillo are? I might even throw Barao into that equation.

Is it far fetched to say that all the really popular fighters are either retired or about to be retired?

I'd say yes but it certainly feels like it.

I don't know, how do we give these guys more moxie?

Top Bottom