• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

FACE

Banned
RIP 560gtx ti. friend for life.

I wonder how expensive it would be to ship you my working 560gtx ti lol

This card was a warrior, gave me over 200 hours of Dota on its last legs.

They'd probably slap some bullshit taxes over here and I'd end up paying twice the price of a new card.

I thought you hated Dota. Well I guess you do now.

My whole world has been turned upside down.

No way! All I want to do right now is get a new card to play more Dota.

iddqd

I know this will sound like dumb hyperbole, but this is the first time since 2006 were I cared a little bit less / was a bit less exited about the UFC then ever before.

It was a pretty steady relationship so far, but all these fightpass cards, cards that are super heavy at the top, fighters unable to sell fghts.. This is turning into another sport that I only follow at certain times (ala Wimbledon, World Cup)
FUCKING SAD!

(could just be the natural evolution from spectacle to weekly sport)

Vio-Lence

Banned
I know this will sound like dumb hyperbole, but this is the first time since 2006 were I cared a little bit less / was a bit less exited about the UFC then ever before.

It was a pretty steady relationship so far, but all these fightpass cards, cards that are super heavy at the top, fighters unable to sell fghts.. This is turning into another sport that I only follow at certain times (ala Wimbledon, World Cup)
FUCKING SAD!

(could just be the natural evolution from spectacle to weekly sport)

welcome to #teamnegative friend. dream and i have been waiting for you guys to see it like it is since 2011.

iddqd

welcome to #teamnegative friend. dream and i have been waiting for you guys to see it like it is since 2011.

Yeah, I'm ready for my heel turn.
AND SPEAKING OFF:

Who was the most overrated of these fellas?
mma_g_fedor_576.jpg

ufc156overeembigfootuppercut.png

cro-cop-rip-pride_medium.jpg

13e6ff68d274d5c2ff9f361aa063767d6e8d9749_m.gif

Am I doing it right?

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Cro-Cop because he lost to the other two. Was tempted to say the Automated Can-Crusher because anyone with adequate strength can do it themselves once they figure out the knack but then I realised that statement could be applied to a lot of things.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Lose / Lose for Cormier.
A win is a win over a 4-0 nobody.
And loosing, well, worse of course.

Does he still get the title shot with that?
Vitor Belfort got a title shot at Jones beating Akiyama at 185 and Rumble at 197. Sonnen got a title shot at Jones after getting recycled by Anderson. All Machida had to do to get his was retire Randy and wait things out. Point is, getting a title shot at 205 is a complete and utter sham and it won't be a problem for future 205 champ Cormier.

Oh Honda, never change ...

Ronda Rousey said:
Honestly I feel like weed is not a performance-enhancing drug at all. We are tested for it for entirely political reasons. The athletic commission is there to make sure we compete fairly and they are testing us for something that has nothing to do with athletic competition.

It is beyond their rights [to test for marijuana], It’s actually an invasion of privacy.

I agree that testing for marijuana is ridiculous but I'm not sure that is the argument.

I agree that testing for marijuana is ridiculous but I'm not sure that is the argument.

She's not saying that "is the argument", but it's certainly a valid argument. Weed doesn't enhance shit, and therefore it is there as a sort of nanny rule. The principle behind it is image control, and the fact they even test for it means in a way that they are actually invading your privacy.

It's like what if alcohol was illegal, and these suckers would test athletes for alcohol consumption? It's extremely hard to explain why they test for weed, without reaching the conclusion that they do it because they don't want athletes to be known for smoking weed in training. Or before fights.

YaGaMi

I'm not excited about UFC cards like I used to be. It happened with videogames and now this.

Is it down to getting older or is the ULTIMATE going downhill folks?

MjFrancis

I thought the entire shtick of the medical marijuana movement was that cannabis dulls pain. You'd think that'd be useful in a sport that requires getting punched in the face.

MjFrancis

If Wandy was an option I may have agreed with you. Cro Cop getting dismantled by his signature move is what gives him that certified aluminum edge though.

Vitor Belfort got a title shot at Jones beating Akiyama at 185 and Rumble at 197. Sonnen got a title shot at Jones after getting recycled by Anderson. All Machida had to do to get his was retire Randy and wait things out. Point is, getting a title shot at 205 is a complete and utter sham and it won't be a problem for future 205 champ Cormier.

In all fairness Vitor took the fight on 3 weeks notice to save an event because Shogun and Machida both didn't want to fight Jones on such short notice. Sonnens title shot was completely uncalled for. Machida was filling in for Evans and there was really nobody for Jones to fight at the time.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Robocop was pretty decent. Better than I expected anyway. Have to say I'm not the biggest fan of the original though.

Pride 2006 OWGP destruction of the biggest fraud Wand is my grounds for disagreeing with ya.

Yeah, even in my Pride fanboy days, I always considered Wand a fraud.

If anybody is a fraud its probably Randy. Hyped as the UFC HW GOAT and gets KO'd brutally at LHW multiple times than loses to another HW with 2 UFC fights under his belt. Randy is the biggest fraud of all and his record is garbage and as bad as CroCop was in the UFC, I don't doubt he would have beaten Randys ass.

Vio-Lence

Banned
lets be honest that big inflated fraud Overeem shouldn't be listed among the other greats. He's B-tier level trash. Notable wins are over Gary Goodridge and Duffman.

Listing him with Wand, Crocop, or Fedor is heresy.

MjFrancis

The Reem is a solid gatekeeper when faced with real competition. He recycles cans but can't face the pressure himself. That's why he's dodging JDS, it's clear that if JDS can rock Cain once that Overeem will give him way more room to do the same thing.

Brock Lesnar was B-tier by the time Overeem got to him.

Werdum was legit, if boring. He's gotten much better since.

Mir was B-tier, maybe even C-tier by now.

Bigfoot was another gatekeeper that caught Overeem slipping hard. He should have finished him while he still had the gas for it.

Travis Browne is a contender, period. Most of us didn't realize it until the fight was over, everyone thought the Bigfoot loss was a fluke. I mean this for both Overeem's loss to Bigfoot and Browne's loss to Bigfoot - the guy is better than we give him credit for.

Overeem is ducking JDS because he wants the Fedor treatment. Two more wins over two more cans and he'll be happy to retire without a UFC belt. It's a shame we never got to see horse meat Reem take on pre-Cain-smashed JDS. Just two short years ago he was pumped up with enough pharma to open a drug store and willing to take on anyone. Now he's come to terms with his own fragility.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear in the coming weeks that Overeem has signed with Glory

I feel like the UFC is going to lose a lot of decent talent this year

Reem's downfall is the best argument for allowing PEDs in MMA. motherfucker would've run through Bigfoot and Hapa if he was still on a Mr. Ed diet.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I feel like the UFC is going to lose a lot of decent talent this year

Dana's recent antics with Overeem and Melendez are pretty fucked up.

I understand that in the fight game (and especially in sports entertainment) promoters have to be assholes, but c'mon son, you've already lost Anderson and GSP. At this point clinging onto anyone with a guaranteed 250K buyrate is a priority.

And yeah. The potential of seeing 2-3 big names defect from UFC to Bellator is definitely a possibility this year. That and we'll see if Ronda can tolerate fighting after being given the Hollywood treatment.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Reem's downfall is the best argument for allowing PEDs in MMA. motherfucker would've run through Bigfoot and Hapa if he was still on a Mr. Ed diet.

He would have destroyed them regardless if he had any cardio. He was tossing Silva around like nothing in those first two rounds.

Top Bottom