• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Standard uniform could be more and more consistent sponsorship money for the fighters, especially those at the lower end.

Could.

If the UFC weren't run by the people who run the UFC, or if the fighters unionized, or anything along those lines. It could. In theory.

Heel

Melendez is now a Bellator fighter.

They already blew the story line. They should have had Gil jump the guard rail and interrupt some jobbers.

"You know who I am, but you don't know why I'm here. Where is billionaire Philippe? Where's fake Joe Rogan? Cause I've got a scoop for you."

charsace

Patrick Cummins, I'm a fan of his. The UFC needs more guys like him. Fuck the guys that pretend to be nice.

Melendez doesn't hurt the UFC because he has no charisma and isn't a huge draw. If he brought either to the table Dana would bend over backwards to keep him.

Heel

I don't think Dana will match.

Yeah, I think it's less about the money and more about the precedent that it will set. If UFC caves for Gil, you'll have everyone playing both sides and driving up their value. The last thing Dana wants is giving fighters the comfort and perception that they can look to the open market.

Gil, welcome to Dana's shit list.

In a few months we will read the headline

"Overeem is now a Bellatour Fighter"

"The Outsider" Gil Melendez's big surprise. Believe.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Good for Gilbert. Continue to make money and not have to deal with Dana White as your boss? Sounds like a W brehs.

UFC 170
Z0jjgvB.jpg

I can't deny the man is super talented but I've never liked Melendez. Same goes for Shields. He should head over to Bellator with his boy.

I liked Melendez. I was at the fight with Sanchez. That was awesome.

On a side note. I made weight. I stopped eating and drinking, ran six miles, took a few hot baths. Ended up cutting 8 pounds. I was two pounds under.

the only way this would be any better is if he worked at dumb starbucks

What's going on with this? Has that been shut down yet? Or has Nathan Fielder been sued? I can't imagine that could possibly last long.

On a side note. I made weight. I stopped eating and drinking, ran six miles, took a few hot baths. Ended up cutting 8 pounds. I was two pounds under.

You need to share your tips with John Lineker and Gabe Reudiger.

strobogo

Banned
Dana thinks he's McMahon, but he ain't got the swag of Vince and never will. Also, Vince doesn't act like Mr. McMahon at public functions. Dana has to be the most unprofessional president of any kind of sports league or any kind of company the size of UFC. He's lucky UFC isn't a public company. The very first thing to be done would be to fire him for being such a dick.

Patrick Cummins, I'm a fan of his. The UFC needs more guys like him. Fuck the guys that pretend to be nice.

Melendez doesn't hurt the UFC because he has no charisma and isn't a huge draw. If he brought either to the table Dana would bend over backwards to keep him.

this.

what is this.

oh wait I get it, you're trolling right? You got me for a second there.

Dana thinks he's McMahon, but he ain't got the swag of Vince and never will. Also, Vince doesn't act like Mr. McMahon at public functions. Dana has to be the most unprofessional president of any kind of sports league or any kind of company the size of UFC. He's lucky UFC isn't a public company. The very first thing to be done would be to fire him for being such a dick.

At least Dana is a fight fan, while Vince hates wrasslin.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

At least Dana is a fight fan, while Vince hates wrasslin.

Vince understands the "mechanics" of the sport though. It's in his blood. The WWE wouldn't be where it is right now if he didn't. Whereas you get the impression that the UFC would be in exactly the same place - if not in a higher position - if someone else than a megalomaniac boxercise instructor was in charge.

Dana definitely doesn't think he's McMahon. Dana's angle is all about being "real" rather than a businessman when the reality is the opposite. Vince no longer makes any attempt at acting like less than a businessman and hasn't for years. Hell by admissions from his own people Vince is damn near a hermit in terms of sports/sports entertainment now. And who could blame him after the XFL?

In any case.. Dana's schtick is done to sell to the Middle America Joe's who'd rather someone sound like their high school football/wrestling coach when he's pissed rather than a guy in a suit and tie playing politics. And it works fairly decently. But if you watch closely enough it's pretty much blatantly obvious he's working the fans better than half the UFC talent. The whole "lucky UFC isn't a public company" thing is just silly considering the origins of Zuffa.

Vince understands the "mechanics" of the sport though. It's in his blood. The WWE wouldn't be where it is right now if he didn't. Whereas you get the impression that the UFC would be in exactly the same place - if not in a higher position - if someone else than a megalomaniac boxercise instructor was in charge.

Considering The UFC has eaten every major competitor.. I can't really follow that logic. Now if you were to say something like "It's clear that Dana has taken them as far as he's capable of.. and now it's time to get someone else in there who can grow the brand/sport more effectively..." then I could find myself nodding like Mir trying to sell some headphones Brother Industrian.

i can imagine Gil and Reem storming the Bellator HW tourny.

"so this is where the big boys fight huh look at the adjective 'fight'".
and Reem going "... hey ja".

industrian

Considering The UFC has eaten every major competitor.. I can't really follow that logic. Now if you were to say something like "It's clear that Dana has taken them as far as he's capable of.. and now it's time to get someone else in there who can grow the brand/sport more effectively..." then I could find myself nodding like Mir trying to sell some headphones Brother Industrian.

The fact the UFC has eaten every major competitor is more a reflection of the management standards & practices of said competitors rather than how well the UFC did things. Just like WCW.

Dana has done a good job of steering the UFC whilst it rode waves of popularity and opportunism. But when you have the Fertitta brothers and their resources/connections in your corner, that's more of an expectation than an achievement.

The fact the UFC has eaten every major competitor is more a reflection of the management standards & practices of said competitors rather than how well the UFC did things. Just like WCW.

Dana has done a good job of steering the UFC whilst it rode waves of popularity and opportunism. But when you have the Fertitta brothers and their resources/connections in your corner, that's more of an expectation than an achievement.

Fair enough.. but I'd counter with the fact that plenty of people have had financial backers and still failed hard. I mean Affliction tried to start their MMA brand at, arguably, the apex of dude-bro era and... screwed it completely.

And I mean.. even if it is a reflection on their competitors, it's still goes to show that the UFC was able to do what everyone else wasn't.

Within the next 5 years I think we will see a new org emerge to compete with the UFC, once all the proven vets are retired. It will be a race to sign the new talent emerging and the UFC won't be able to sign every single prospect.

I'm hoping for another Japanese promotion to emerge with the popularity of NJPW these days. Bellatour has potential if they sign guys like Gill and steal the UFCs roster. Signing Rampage and Kongo was a good move if they want to compete head on with the UFC as Rampage would still be a solid top 10.

industrian

Fair enough.. but I'd counter with the fact that plenty of people have had financial backers and still failed hard. I mean Affliction tried to start their MMA brand at, arguably, the apex of dude-bro era and... screwed it completely.

And I mean.. even if it is a reflection on their competitors, it's still goes to show that the UFC was able to do what everyone else wasn't.

For as much as I know, the Fertitta brothers weren't your archetypal financial backers. As in, they were in it for the long-term and were able to plan accordingly. They also had the legacy of the "three letters" to build something on. Later competitors simply tried to buy into what the UFC had developed, without the patience to build-up a legacy and "prestige" that the UFC had. (Having a bunch of guys who literally know about gambling helps too I guess.)

But regardless of anything else: the UFC weren't stupid enough to pay Tim Sylvia $800k for one fight.

For as much as I know, the Fertitta brothers weren't your archetypal financial backers. As in, they were in it for the long-term and were able to plan accordingly. They also had the legacy of the "three letters" to build something on. Later competitors simply tried to buy into what the UFC had developed, without the patience to build-up a company like the UFC had. (Having a bunch of guys who literally know about gambling helps too I guess.)

Eddie-Murphy-Is-Not-Sure-About-His-Approval-Head-Nod.gif

Ok.. I get you on that... but it still doesn't explain how they outlasted Orgs that didn't just try to build on what the UFC developed.

But regardless of anything else: the UFC weren't stupid enough to pay Tim Sylvia $800k for one fight.

Well... shit. I really have noting to retort to that.

industrian

Within the next 5 years I think we will see a new org emerge to compete with the UFC, once all the proven vets are retired. It will be a race to sign the new talent emerging and the UFC won't be able to sign every single prospect.

If Bellator starts making progress soon and Viacom don't pull the plug then there's hope for them. But they'll need to either ditch their belts or ditch their tournaments in order to do so.

ONE FC has potential, but they'll need to start making in-roads to North America otherwise they'll be stuck, investors will get bored, and the entire thing will fall apart.

To get to where the UFC is at you need a lot of money, a lot of patience, and a lot of time. When it comes to fickle investors, then you're lucky to get one of those.

I'm hoping for another Japanese promotion to emerge with the popularity of NJPW these days.

There are plenty of Japanese MMA organisations right now. Let PRIDE go. It's never coming back.

Ok.. I get you on that... but it still doesn't explain how they outlasted Orgs that didn't just try to build on what the UFC developed.

Like Fertitta said, he had the "three letters." They are synonymous with the sport. Hell, some people still refer to MMA as a whole as "Ultimate Fighting." To build on what the UFC developed, like I said above you need a lot of money, patience and time. You'd need an active plan for 5-10 years and the ability to commit 100% to it. Most investors don't want to hear that. So instead you just get orgs that throw money at things and hope that it sticks. That creates a fad, a spectacle and a distraction that just goes away once the fad is over.

Haha Gracie is threatening to pull his other fighters over this Melendez thing. I mean, Jake Shields leaving of his own accord? I bet Dana will be really sad.

industrian

I saw Robocop at the cinema tonight. I was pleasantly surprised. It took a different direction entirely from the original which I can appreciate. It was set up to fail by pretty much every critic and fan on the planet, but it stands on its own merits quite well.

Top Bottom