• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

MrSerrels

Complete minority, but I think it's legit. Cormier has that awkward look of someone who is actually angry and not acting. That's what someone who isn't in control looks like in these situations.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Complete minority, but I think it's legit. Cormier has that awkward look of someone who is actually angry and not acting. That's what someone who isn't in control looks like in these situations.
Maybe he looks awkward and not in control because he's being pressured into selling wolf tickets?

strobogo

Banned
Wolf ticket is the dumbest phrase. Everyone knows none of the beefs are real in UFC, NBA, WWE, NFL, whatever. Part of the game is building a story in it. Everyone knows that and if they don't they're fucking dumb dumbs.

MrSerrels

Maybe he looks awkward and not in control because he's being pressured into selling wolf tickets?

That's equally viable, but it's just a gut feeling for me. He's shitty. At that point in his life he was low, lost his daughter, got caught in training and this guy thinks it's a good idea to build a name out of that story.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Just had one of those "I can't take this shit anymore" days. Think I'm gonna call in sick tomorrow and get shit faced.

ShaneB

Just had one of those "I can't take this shit anymore" days. Think I'm gonna call in sick tomorrow and get shit faced.

I may have to work on saturday for some nonsense training. I hope my coworker comes to his senses and says fuck no to that and calls it off.

Wolf ticket is the dumbest phrase. Everyone knows none of the beefs are real in UFC, NBA, WWE, NFL, whatever. Part of the game is building a story in it. Everyone knows that and if they don't they're fucking dumb dumbs.

It's the best when there is actually real beef. Mir/Lesnar, Tito/Shamrock are some prime examples.

A few years ago I would have believed Wand/Sonnen to be a real beef based on the tone of that van ride. Most likley a work now as Chael is a company guy and knows Wand is best for business.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Stro coming in dropping the truthbombs.

Yea. Except in the cases where you know...they werent. Baroni shamrock. Jds cain. Housey tate, faber cruz. Bj pulver, riggs diaz, davis hardy.yea all fake im sure. Cause everyone competing in a full contact sport gets along swimmingly.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
There's a right way to do everything, and this angle stunk it up from the get-go. How can anyone take the heat seriously when Dana is laughing smack dab between them? You have to make the people buy what you're selling.
This. It doesn't have to be ranch raised, hormone free bona-fide beef but this is clearly some desperation mode stuff. Even if DC is worked up about it he'd probably still be over the moon about the fact that he's got a fight and he hasn't spent months cutting down for nothing.

756.png

Cormier lol!

Put a little on Eye and Maia.

Maia is tough and could put us all to sleep for a u. dec victory holmes!!!
And I love Eye!

Vio-Lence

Banned
Yea. Except in the cases where you know...they werent. Baroni shamrock. Jds cain. Housey tate, faber cruz. Bj pulver, riggs diaz, davis hardy.yea all fake im sure. Cause everyone competing in a full contact sport gets along swimmingly.
Of course they don't get along but you have to admit that many of these beefs get exaggerated because they know someone is watching and it's good for business. Do you mean to tell me that BJ wasn't playing to his audience when he addressed the TUF fighters asking them who wanted to be on his team? Ronda has admitted to playing up her beef with Miesha to make people care about seeing her fight. Faber and Cruz both played up their conflict when it was over some really stupid shit because they knew it'd be good for business.

Of course some of these rivalries had more merit than others, but they all have to be instigated by at least one party, and that party has quite the incentive to do so.

A lot of the time it seems like the instigator is grasping at straws for a reason to start the rivalry whether it be autograph etiquette in Cruz and Faber's case or prior training experience where Cummins was but one of many people tasked with the objective of making Daniel Cormier break mentally. That Cummins was the one that was in there when it ended up happening is nothing more than luck of the draw and an objective met by his coaching staff.

The Ultimate needs their version of Stone Cold. Someone who will talk shit about Dana all the time. Cut promos. Have sponsors and fake sponsors. Take off a bunch of shirts before he enters the ring with a whole bunch of sponsors. Talk shit about woman's mma and Dana's infatuation of Rhonda. Dana will put this fighter in impossible situations. This could really make money.

The Ultimate needs their version of Stone Cold. Someone who will talk shit about Dana all the time. Cut promos. Have sponsors and fake sponsors. Take off a bunch of shirts before he enters the ring with a whole bunch of sponsors. Talk shit about woman's mma and Dana's infatuation of Rhonda. Dana will put this fighter in impossible situations. This could really make money.
The problem is, in the real world such a character just gets cut after being put up against a Volkmann, Fitch or Carmont type of fighter and then forgotten.

Who would want to risk their career by cutting some promos in defiance of the boss? That kind of thing worked when it was all scripted for peoples' entertainment, but doesn't work in an unscripted world.

I guarantee you any fighter who throws a pipebomb in their post fight interview or at the post fight presser never fights again in the UFC.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Well, Dana did put up with Tito for a long time. However in the years since I'd wager that Dana's ego has grown and the UFC's need for that sort of character has done the opposite.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

Funnily enough, I was on sick leave from Tuesday-Thursday. Two day work weeks are normally fun when you're not bedridden with a flu and throat infection.

I may have to work on saturday for some nonsense training. I hope my coworker comes to his senses and says fuck no to that and calls it off.

I need to go to my company's annual dinner tomorrow. No desire to go there whatsoever. I mean, don't get me wrong, there's not a Scottish person alive who doesn't appreciate a free dinner, but the weekend is fucking sacred time. They should really host these events on Fridays.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
any Nick Diaz presser is 10x better than a pipe bomb. pauly defending this rotten organization to the bitter end. shameful.

For real. Every time a fighter who was even remotely relevant pushed up on dana in a post fight presser dana tucked his tail like the true beta he is and just tried to laugh it off. Just look at how long it took him to get his story straight about GSP Hendricks.

MjFrancis

756.png

Cormier lol!
Those odds are about what they were for the Erick Silva/Takenori Sato fight. If Patrick Cummins wins that fight that would be one of the funniest things to happen to Dana White so far this year. He'd practically have to give him a bonus just to recognize how unlikely such an event was.

strobogo

Banned

Some are legit. Some storylines in wrestling have legitimacy to them too. That doesn't change the fact that they're all stories used to better sell tickets. All pro sports are sports entertainment. Every show/PPV/game has a story line. Most of them are fake. Occasionally, there is a real beef, but it is always enhanced to make a better story, because stories sell better. You guys can't think that all the "legit" feuds were actually 100% real. MMA fans are bigger marks the pro wrestling fans a lot of the times.

All this wolf ticket shit is stupid, because selling stories is inherent in all professional sports. It's not selling wolf tickets, it's just selling tickets.

Do those odds change last minute if someone misses weight?

Depends on public action. Whos betting who and how much...

Cormier looks like crap and if he does so tonight...maybe some dough is coming down on Mr. Starbucks = his line is getting worse...

Edit: Id love to see how their financial structure works in numbers...Dana has to be one fat rich bastard and he protects it with everything he has. I bet his biggest PPV stars dont even make a fracture of what bald bozo fuck is making.

Heel

I say we honor LP from the afterlife and come up with the worst pun title and jokes for each fight possible. I'll get the ball rolling.

UFC 170 |OT| Grounds and Pounds

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I say we honor LP from the afterlife and come up with the worst pun title and jokes for each fight possible. I'll get the ball rolling.

UFC 170 |OT| Grounds and Pounds
UFC 170 - On The Espresso to AXS
UFC 170 - Taking Your Hard Earned Starbucks
UFC 170 - This Is A Work
UFC 170 - It's Bean Worse
UFC 170 - A Latte Problems With This Card
UFC 170 - So A Girl Walks Into an Armbar...
UFC 170 - La Vida Mocha
UFC 170 - Ya Brew It!

Heel

UFC 170 - On The Espresso to AXS
UFC 170 - Taking Your Hard Earned Starbucks
UFC 170 - This Is A Work
UFC 170 - It's Bean Worse
UFC 170 - A Latte Problems With This Card
UFC 170 - So A Girl Walks Into an Armbar...
UFC 170 - La Vida Mocha
UFC 170 - Ya Brew It!

"You're gonna get creamed, sugar." - Ronda Rousey, arm barista

Chamber

love on your sleeve
For future reference, I agree with yaco-friend. We need to treat these shit ppv's like the Fight Night cards they are and not dignify them with an OT.

Top Bottom