• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

Dysun

Pretty damn crazy day for MMA. TRT gets banned and new old Victor pulls out of his title fight
Dana must be cursing ESPN right now in secret

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Wait...he really did pull out of the fight?

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/2/2...-belfort-trt-ufc-173-fight-card-chris-weidman

The Nevada State Athletic Commission recently altered its policy and no longer will permit testosterone use exemptions, and will not permit a TRT program. As other jurisdictions may follow suit, I am going to drop my TRT program and compete in MMA without it. Given the time constraints involved between now and my proposed next bout in May, I have determined not to apply for a license to fight in Nevada at this time.

This is pure damage limitation though. In all probability the UFC asked Vitor to jump or be pushed.

Razdek

Banned
Holy shit just read about Belfort pulling out. If that isn't an admission of guilt I don't know what is. His excuse is really weak.

industrian

The truly funny part will be if Belfort still considers himself to be the No. 1 contender.

And I'm pretty sure Bisping is going to ask for a rematch.

VITAAAHHH BELFAAAAHHHRT!!!!!!

Uhh baby
IdgMwlv.gif

That scene alone is better than all seasons of tuf combined!

Im so pumped for Sonnen Wand...even more so because Ive been around the vicious Pride MW GP days...oh Wand...please make me feel that way again.

MjFrancis

Well, Chris is certainly going to push the pace against Lyoto. The Dragon must be thanking the gods for Nevada's anti-sports entertainment stance right now.

industrian

Looking at the Middleweight division now, excluding the title fight we've only got two big fights on the horizon:

Bisping/Kennedy and Rockhold/Boetsch. To which I just assume Bisping and Rockhold will win.

Bisping is sure to call out Belfort to "avenge" his perceived TRT-fuelled loss. But personally I'd have Bisping fight Rockhold as it saves either fighter from retreating old ground with Belfort (and Jacare in Rockhold's case.)

And in the meantime, have Jacare vs. Belfort to determine the immediate challenger to Weidman/Machida. And in doing so we'll see a potential Vitor's Back 3.0 or just how badly a "low T" Belfort fares at the top level.

industrian

MjFrancis

Anabolic steroids will just go underground again and everyone will have to dodge the testing the old fashion way instead of keeping it out in the open.

iddqd

Wow.. I'm totally surprised by this.
Someone here predicted it and I brushed it off as ridiculous in my head.
CHAPEAU!

This is crazy news.

So how is Weidman going to catch the Machida?

Wow.. I'm totally surprised by this.
Someone here predicted it and I brushed it off as ridiculous in my head.
CHAPEAU!

This is crazy news.

So how is Weidman going to catch the Machida?

He's going to have to pressure him into a grappling and wrestling exchange I think. I don't recall if Weidman's chin has ever been tested but it would definitely be a riskier strat to try to strike with a fast and accurate counter-striker like Machida. Silva's a great counter-striker as well but his strength in avoidance was head and upper body movement. Machida uses his foot movement which is safer and more effective. It's an interesting match up to be sure.

industrian

The plot thickens...

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/2/2...t-ufc-pulled-me-from-ufc-173-i-didnt-withdraw

"Vitor Belfort didn’t give up on the fight," he wrote, "he was forced to give up."

"I never gave up on UFC 173 fight and never said that. Any information about it in the media is not true. What I said was that I’ll ‘quit on TRT’, and not ‘quit on the fight’, to continue my dream to fight."

"The UFC has decided to put another opponent in my place because of the fact that I won’t have time to suit NSAC’s new rules," he said. "According to the UFC, I will fight the winner of Weidman vs. Lyoto under the athletic commission new rules.

"I’m sorry that it happened and I appreciate the strength and understanding of all the fans, sponsors, UFC and the athletic commissions."

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Judging by how weidman has been winning lately. First fight weidman by wheel kick. Second fight he takes cheeda down and cheeda breaks his back hitting the mat.

Heel

Results of Vitor Belfort's random drug test will not be released unless he does so himself

Here's what we know: the results of that test are in. They came in earlier this week. Belfort and his team knows them, the commission knows them, and the UFC knows them. However, because he was tested prior to submitting an application for licensure in Nevada, and did not provide consent outside of the application to release the results, the commission is not at liberty to release the results. They would have already if Belfort had submitted his application for a license to fight in Nevada on May 24 against Weidman. The UFC is also not required to release the results, and have not, thus far.

Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani 4m
Just spoke to Belfort's lawyer. He asked me to submit all my questions via e-mail. I asked if he'll release results, he said ask via e-mail.

ibksm4NbxETUN5.png
ibksm4NbxETUN5.png
ibksm4NbxETUN5.png

Vio-Lence

Banned
what is the difference between smarks who think an undersized hillbilly vegan with an awful beard should be WWE champ and otakus who think a point fighting karate/sumo style combatant is elusive and championship material?

JR has been selling lies for 5+ years.

Heel

The key difference is that Machida could swig some mouthwash and be taken seriously by Kelly Ripa. I can't say the same for that midcarder with a stolen gimmick, even if he did comb his hair and ponytail his beard.

Top Bottom