• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

VoxPop

Wrestling has been exposed and wide open since the early 80s. You don't watch it because you think it is real (unless you are a kid or really rural redneck). You watch it because it's basically a weekly show with real life comic book characters doing fight scenes. I've never understood the argument of MMA ruining pro wrestling, because MMA doesn't ruin cool fight scenes in movies. One is a real sport, the other is a weekly show of cool fight scenes. MMA doesn't ruin Bruce Lee movies, does it?

I don't really see wrestling as "fight scenes". More like choreographed versions of their own art like sumo or whatever. Throwing people through flaming tables were cool and all but yeah MMA did kinda ruin it for me. Fight scenes in movies have also become pretty stagnant for me as well since I started watching MMA but not nearly as bad as pro wrestling has become. WWE should just go full on old school Pancrase style.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Wrestling has been exposed and wide open since the early 80s. You don't watch it because you think it is real (unless you are a kid or really rural redneck). You watch it because it's basically a weekly show with real life comic book characters doing fight scenes. I've never understood the argument of MMA ruining pro wrestling, because MMA doesn't ruin cool fight scenes in movies. One is a real sport, the other is a weekly show of cool fight scenes. MMA doesn't ruin Bruce Lee movies, does it?

Other way around. Who can take a joker like Matt Brown serious once you've seen The Raid 2?

rofl @ TUF

Those judges should be fired, and Mazagatti should not be a ref

I stopped watching WWE when UFC was on TV more often, just couldn't stand WWE anymore, it was dull and boring

Martial arts movies have incorporated more grappling and shit since the rise of MMA. [Wrasslin] generally operates in a way that has nothing to do with fighting, despite them fighting. No, I don't think wrasslin should be realistic, but I can't even suspend my disbelief in most matches anymore. Nakamura vs Sakuraba was not overly realistic, but it looked believable.

strobogo

Banned
Martial arts movies have incorporated more grappling and shit since the rise of MMA. Generally operates in a way that has nothing to do with fighting, despite them fighting. No, I don't think wrasslin should be realistic, but I can't even suspend my disbelief in most matches anymore. Nakamura vs Sakuraba was not overly realistic, but it looked believable.

Suspension of disbelief is a stupid concept. I can't suspend my disbelief for Godzilla movies, but I can still watch and enjoy them. I don't need to believe shit is real. Obviously a movie about a giant mutated dinosaur that shoots radiation out of its mouth is hard to believe under the best of circumstances. As long as they believe it in the movie, that's all I really ask for.

Suspension of disbelief is a stupid concept. I can't suspend my disbelief for Godzilla movies, but I can still watch and enjoy them. I don't need to believe shit is real. Obviously a movie about a giant mutated dinosaur that shoots radiation out of its mouth is hard to believe under the best of circumstances. As long as they believe it in the movie, that's all I really ask for.
You're right, expecting two humans who are in a ring pretending to fight to look sort of like what two humans actually fighting in a ring would look like is silly.

Realism =! Believability

strobogo

Banned
Wrestling just needs to look not fake, which isn't the same thing as realistic. Any more than a big fake special effects scene in a movie doesn't have to look realistic to be awesome, but it will die a terrible death when you can see the strings on screen.

Besides the exposed business, social media and internet. The problem also with modern wrestling are the generic wrestlers and characters. Back in the day I wouldn't fuck with Papa Shango if I saw him in a dark ally, but if the Miz bumped into me at a club I would deck him in the face. Evil Doink looks more threatening than Randy Orton. The aura just isn't there for me anymore, which is why I turned to MMA in the early 2000's more. Fedor, Wand, Chuck etc all had that aura at the time, while I just couldn't stomach the new guys that were taking over WWE like Cena, Orton and Batista.

VoxPop

Host Samurai said:
Besides the exposed business, social media and internet. The problem also with modern wrestling are the generic wrestlers and characters. Back in the day I wouldn't fuck with Papa Shango if I saw him in a dark ally, but if the Miz bumped into me at a club I would deck him in the face. Evil Doink looks more threatening than Randy Orton. The aura just isn't there for me anymore, which is why I turned to MMA in the early 2000's more. Fedor, Wand, Chuck etc all had that aura at the time, while I just couldn't stomach the new guys that were taking over WWE like Cena, Orton and Batista.

KaientaiBegstoDiffer.jpg

strobogo

Banned
I don't think you're allowed to say "I've gone full heel". You can say someone else has gone full heel. Someone can say you've gone full heel. But you can't say it about yourself.

Who the f*ck cares if Rousey could beat the crap out of Mayweather in a street fight, why is this always being discussed. Dana... Mayweather can go buy a tank with his money and turn you and Rousey into dust particles during said street fight.

Every time I see Mma news there's gotta be an article about Dana or some retard talking about Rousey beating up Mayweather.

strobogo

Banned
Bo Dallas. A flabby white guy whose gimmick is that he's a cheesy motivational face who is actually a heel and everyone hates, but he's oblivious to it. He's also actually not good at wrestling. Bizarro Bones Jones.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Eric Prindle vs. James Thompson in Bellator? Sokoudjou fighting on the same card? What year is this...

Bo Dallas. A flabby white guy whose gimmick is that he's a cheesy motivational face who is actually a heel and everyone hates, but he's oblivious to it. He's also actually not good at wrestling. Bizarro Bones Jones.
I don't know why I didn't make this connection.

LOL

Next

my friend recently asked me to link him to my favorite MMA fight so I gave him this

Good times

that is the fight that got me to watch MMA, someone linked it on reddit and I was really surprised they continued fighting on the ground. I knew about boxing and kickboxing and whatnot but didn't know there was a sport trying to emulate a real fight. After that someone posted a Fedor highlight in the comments and I was hooked. If someone that never watched MMA before asked me for a video I'd show a Fedor highlight I found later titled "The Greatest Fighter to have Ever Lived 2.0 (Fedor _ Фëдор)". Can't find a link to post here lol, but I have it downloaded.

edit: this one http://vdownload.eu/watch/1212043-the-greatest-fighter-to-have-ever-lived-2-0-fedor-ф-235-дор.html

VoxPop

that is the fight that got me to watch MMA, someone linked it on reddit and I was really surprised they continued fighting on the ground. I knew about boxing and kickboxing and whatnot but didn't know there was a sport trying to emulate a real fight. After that someone posted a Fedor highlight in the comments and I was hooked. If someone that never watched MMA before asked me for a video I'd show a Fedor highlight I found later titled "The Greatest Fighter to have Ever Lived 2.0 (Fedor _ Фëдор)". Can't find a link to post here lol, but I have it downloaded.

edit: this one http://vdownload.eu/watch/1212043-the-greatest-fighter-to-have-ever-lived-2-0-fedor-ф-235-дор.html

Unfortunately I don't share your sentiment for Fedor as I thought he was a complete fraud but fun to watch at least.

Also just got this in my email.. lol

LFe0Lpb.png

Top Bottom