• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Oof, woke up today with a headache, been a while since I've gotten sloshed on Crown Royal. Hell it's been a very long time since I blacked out period. Let's Go HEAT!

Tonight is snitch-free night at work so I'll kill the remainder of the bottle with the good crew there (we're not allowed to drink on the clock anymore, it's such bullshit).

Also I just bought an Infiniti G37 Sport on Saturday. I love that car!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
BPCScMl.gif

VoxPop

rant:

damn I think all my love for pro wrestling has officially died out of nowhere.

I'm stuck in this 6 month Network sub so I was going through some old stuff and its just not tolerable anymore. Can't enjoy a wrestling match like I used to when I was younger. Japanese puroresu stiff fests that I thought were once cool are a joke now. Couldn't care less about the indy spotfest monkeys or deliberately manufactured YES chants.

Thought it might just be the current product but even going back and seeing some stuff from the "golden age" 89-92, 97-99, really made me hate it even more. The wet hair, the barging into "commissioner's" office in nothing but their wrestling underwear, the diving axe handles to break up pins.. its just unbearable. Wrestling should have honestly evolved by now and even while fake, could have delivered a reasonably realistic product with better storylines and matches.

I've loved it for so many years but I think I've finally outgrown it. It's sad that the only things that interest me are the backstage politics, wrestler deaths and buyrates. Only thing that could possibly save it for me is if some stable led by Punk that had Brock, Ronda, Chael and Heyman just took over. Which is 100% unlikely. I really hope MMA is not headed in the same direction. Goodbye old friend, it's been.. fun..

Heel

I've loved it for so many years but I think I've finally outgrown it. It's sad that the only things that interest me are the backstage politics, wrestler deaths and buyrates. Only thing that could possibly save it for me is if some stable led by Punk that had Brock, Ronda, Chael and Heyman just took over. Which is 100% unlikely. I really hope MMA is not headed in the same direction. Goodbye old friend, it's been.. fun..

Have to agree. I've given it a few months and have come to realize I just do not like the wrestling aspect of wrestling, save a very few select matches. Hell, the only match I enjoyed for any reason other than being completely cheesy and over the top was Punk vs. Brock.

Almost none of these younger wrestlers have the intangibles that actually makes wrestling an interesting spectacle. In-ring psychology, mic work, charisma etc. It is truly awful. Just listen.

When the chase (for Daniel Bryan to lose the title) ends, it's very likely my viewership will too. Unless Brock gets a monster title run, anyway.

VoxPop

Have to agree. I've given it a few months and have come to realize I just do not like the wrestling aspect of wrestling, save a very few select matches. Hell, the only match I enjoyed for any reason other than being completely cheesy and over the top was Punk vs. Brock.

Almost none of these younger wrestlers have the intangibles that actually makes wrestling an interesting spectacle. In-ring psychology, mic work, charisma etc. It is truly awful. Just listen.

When the chase (for Daniel Bryan to lose the title) ends, it's very likely my viewership will too. Unless Brock gets a monster title run, anyway.

Lol @ that Shield promo. I honestly think Punk was the only person who could have kept me interested. Hell, I even bothered to stream that MITB PPV just cause I had some vested interest. But yeah they blew that opportunity. I doubt there will ever be another Rock who transcends "wrestling" and could really give you something special.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
What you guys dont understand is that FS2 is the future. Dont get me wrong there's nothing wrong with FS1 but they're going for that traditional audience. FS2 is the stud stable. I gotta tell you I think we got a shot at this thing.

Dysun

rant:

I'm stuck in this 6 month Network sub so I was going through some old stuff and its just not tolerable anymore. Can't enjoy a wrestling match like I used to when I was younger. Japanese puroresu stiff fests that I thought were once cool are a joke now. Couldn't care less about the indy spotfest monkeys or deliberately manufactured YES chants.

Thought it might just be the current product but even going back and seeing some stuff from the "golden age" 89-92, 97-99, really made me hate it even more. The wet hair, the barging into "commissioner's" office in nothing but their wrestling underwear, the diving axe handles to break up pins.. its just unbearable. Wrestling should have honestly evolved by now and even while fake, could have delivered a reasonably realistic product with better storylines and matches.

I think this hits most of us when we turn 15

lol at Fight Pass future

My interest in wrasslin comes and goes. I stop watching for 2-3 years at a time and then have a 6 month phase where I watch it all day, everyday. My interest as of now is beginning to wane again.

iKLfnQoELpdpn.png
Yeah I'm kind of over it now myself.. The shitty Main Event show last night where the fucking main event didn't even happen after sitting through some of the dullest matches I've ever seen was the last straw for me after nonstop shittiness since mania.

You guys should check out the latest Ultimate Penn-Edgar. The fight was shit but the scoring/refereeing was crazy.

I'm curious if MMA-GAF agrees with the decision.

That TUF fight was absolutely hilarious. Bad call by Mazzagatti and then weird judge decision that was dependent on what I guess is a super rarely used rule based on the fact that TUF fights can't end in a draw.

Have to agree. I've given it a few months and have come to realize I just do not like the wrestling aspect of wrestling, save a very few select matches. Hell, the only match I enjoyed for any reason other than being completely cheesy and over the top was Punk vs. Brock
This.

TUF Pedgar is pretty entertaining so far tho. Couldnt get over Monaghans sermon to the guys. "After i found Jesus, i got a boat! And a new Jaguar!". Fucking idiot.

VoxPop

What the fuck. Playing Fire Pro Wrestling Returns for the first time via emulator and its pretty damn awesome. Barbed wire death match with Cyborg Police (CroCop) vs Blizzard Warhol (Fedor) lmao. They got a shit ton of fighters. Even Hickson.

Edit

Dong Hyun Kim vs Hector Lombard planned for UFC Fight Night China

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
You guys should check out the latest Ultimate Penn-Edgar. The fight was shit but the scoring/refereeing was crazy.

I'm curious if MMA-GAF agrees with the decision.

dana being dana. it was a little odd, but as mentioned above, this must a rule to break a tie because of the format of the show, which dana must have been aware of. mazagatti sucks, but he warned that guy over and over again.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I don't watch TUF but that won't stop me from disagreeing with whatever Dana said or did. Dana is a fucking idiot.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Dong Hyun Kim vs Hector Lombard planned for UFC Fight Night China

I like this fight. Both guys have good grappling credentials, and it'll be interesting to see if Kim's striking has improved further. Lombard should have this one, but you never know.

Welterweight is by far the most interesting division right now. There's so much going on. Hopefully Hendricks comes back soon and can stay healthy enough to keep things going.

dana being dana. it was a little odd, but as mentioned above, this must a rule to break a tie because of the format of the show, which dana must have been aware of. mazagatti sucks, but he warned that guy over and over again.

Yeah, I felt like the warnings were clear enough but the actual elbow that he took a point on wasn't even boderline illegal. I don't like when Refs in any sport make bad calls to make up for non-calls or other bad calls. Just try to get it right the first time.

MjFrancis

I like this fight. Both guys have good grappling credentials, and it'll be interesting to see if Kim's striking has improved further. Lombard should have this one, but you never know.

Welterweight is by far the most interesting division right now. There's so much going on. Hopefully Hendricks comes back soon and can stay healthy enough to keep things going.
The lists of fighters that put on a good scrap is getting shorter and shorter, but Dong Hyun Kim & Hector Lombard are both on that list. I'm in for that one.

rant:

I agree with this. Wrestling just something that just seems lost and outdated in todays world. The business is 100% exposed and social media just makes matters worse. The magic is just not there anymore. MMA just makes it look even worse. I do love watching the old stuff though. Been binge watching 1993-1994 RAWs and some ECW Hardcore TV

i reckon Lombard is too strong for Kim. ragdolling incoming.

VoxPop

As much as I like DHK, I don't see how he can win this fight. Lombard has equally good if not better grappling and stone fists. Stun Gun's striking just seems a bit erratic. But he does have a pretty big size advantage. Not that he wouldn't be able to surprise us again like in the last 2 fights. But that seems like a dangerous game to play with someone like Lombard. Especially when both are 1-2 fights away from a possible title shot.

Host Samurai said:
I agree with this. Wrestling just something that just seems lost and outdated in todays world. The business is 100% exposed and social media just makes matters worse. The magic is just not there anymore. MMA just makes it look even worse. I do love watching the old stuff though. Been binge watching 1993-1994 RAWs and some ECW Hardcore TV

Yeah theres just nothing I want to watch. The new stuff is trash and I've watched all the old stuff to death. How many times could I possibly enjoy the same rehashed narrated bits of ECW, the Monday Night Wars, and same old shoots?

edit:

Masvidal vs Cruickshank added to UFC on FOX 12

So.. so far UFC on FOX 12 is looking okay

Rumble vs Lil Nog* or TBA
Michael Johnson vs Josh Thomson
and now this fight

VoxPop

Lol Sergei injured and out of fight with Mirko now

it just gets better and better though..

new name being tossed around.. guess who..

Pat Barry
Sergei

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

tim-sylvia-scooter.jpg

strobogo

Banned
Wrestling has been exposed and wide open since the early 80s. You don't watch it because you think it is real (unless you are a kid or really rural redneck). You watch it because it's basically a weekly show with real life comic book characters doing fight scenes. I've never understood the argument of MMA ruining pro wrestling, because MMA doesn't ruin cool fight scenes in movies. One is a real sport, the other is a weekly show of cool fight scenes. MMA doesn't ruin Bruce Lee movies, does it?

Top Bottom