• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

strobogo

Banned
Man, Hunt vs Nishijima from PRIDE 31 was a god damn war. No idea how Nish lasted into the 3rd round getting the living shit knocked out of him the entire time by a guy with an 81 pound weight advantage. Dat fighting spirit.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
as if you needed to hate Shaub even more

86BkLDs.png

While pitbull had a horrible performance I'm glad he messed Schaubs face up good.

I mean not sure how Schaub can bitch about the decicsion. Neither guy did anything and Pit bull got the better of him even though Schaub had top position and his face looked like what Brittany's face probably looked after she got cosmetic surgery

strobogo

Banned
I posted this in the 174 thread, but no one reads that thread so:

I feel like UFC is going to be in trouble over the next few years. They've fallen into all the same traps that WWE has: Over reliance on certain stars, not building enough new stars, over saturation, trying to make stars out of guys people don't give a shit about, over hype, feeling they can coast on their name.

The big difference is that WWE is a 60 year old proven brand with a consistent renewable resource of children. I don't think MMA is going to be cyclical like pro wrestling has traditionally been. They hit their peak and are never getting back there. I think in 2-3 years, 80-100K is what they're going to be maxing out at for PPVs. They have WAY too many shows, took over too many promotions, have way too much talent, and too much of the talent isn't at a level that befits the biggest promotion in the world.

In addition, UFC's presentation is so stale and sterile. They haven't changed a thing since they blew up after TUF1. It might be more boring than WWE's presentation over the past few years. There are only 4-6 stars at any given time for UFC. And they usually fight twice at year at the most. Sometimes once. Sometimes not at all. Due to feeling like they need to have a show every god damn weekend, they've filled their cards with scrubs who just started a couple of years ago, or guys who should have retired a few years ago.

Their hype machine is terrible, too. Every fight is the biggest fight ever, the most serious of hatred between the guys, whoever is the best at X in the world, best P4P fighter, best...fuck. Opening matches get the same hype as the main event, and then after all the bullshit guys hug or shake hands anyway. If you're going to work everyone, STICK TO THE WORK. Don't break kayfabe right after the fight. It's impossible to believe any of the hype UFC throws out since every fight ends with the dudes talking about how much they respect the other and they were just trying to sell the fight.

I sense dark times for y'all. HARD TIMES, daddy. That bubble burst a couple of years ago and it isn't coming back.

6qxb2l.jpg

brentech

You could say their decline has been a reflection of the actual product, friend.
I don't want to admit it, but it's true.
Not sure if it's just because the athletes all learn enough to neutralize each other's strengths, or if they truly are just not as good as the top tier used to be, but cards have been boring as fuck lately.

manfestival

I gotta ask, people complain all of the time about a takedown counting too much in a match and how the takedown can at times overlook a strong performance in a round during stand up. I am curious as to why people think the takedown is overrated? I know it stand for control and it takes a ton to even get a takedown in most cases. So I want to see what the counter argument for it is.

takedown is a transition move, seldom does damage by itself and often leads to nothing. it's like giving points for a thai plum with no follow up.

NBA watching friends, why is this Heat team so bad? getting completely blown up. isn't LeBron supposed to be the best? PEACE

@Kap

i am.

games not over but they don't have depth so their stars have to stay on the court a lot longer. Those mins add up over the course of the season. Also, Pop and the Spurs are an amazing team. One of the best of all time.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Im not watching but i did see a gif of Ginobli barreling his way through dudes to get that dunk. My pops is mad salty about the WC argentina bosnia game too.

Top Bottom