• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

This just reminds me how pissed I was that Undisputed 3 didn't have an open weight option for PRIDE mode. I wanted Faber vs Sappu.

Well LHW and MW were combined into 1 division in PRIDE mode as is BW-LW. There is also a glitch that lets you do open weight fights in UFC PPV mode. I had a blast doing Brock vs Wand, Hendo vs Carwin, Brock vs Faber etc

dream

The Ultimate game really is unconscionably bad. I'm giving serious thought to pretending to be a poor kid and trade it in for "credit" at EB.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Well LHW and MW were combined into 1 division in PRIDE mode as is BW-LW. There is also a glitch that lets you do open weight fights in UFC PPV mode. I had a blast doing Brock vs Wand, Hendo vs Carwin, Brock vs Faber etc

That glitch might actually get me to fire up the game again.

Also, if the UFC glitches in the video posted yesterday could be turned on at will I'd probably be more likely to buy it. Come on EA, zero gravity mode where you can fling your opponent off the opposite cage wall and use psychic powers. Make it mutant league MMA for all I care. I want that alien that was growing in Mark Hominick's forehead to hatch and fight on my side.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I can't wait until the day we have Deus Ex/Ghost in the Shell/MGS level prosthetics. I am ready to trade in this worthless husk of mine. It's not good for anything but getting the flu and ruining my weekends.

I can't wait until the day we have Deus Ex/Ghost in the Shell/MGS level prosthetics. I am ready to trade in this worthless husk of mine. It's not good for anything but getting the flu and ruining my weekends.

Did you see the brain implant that crippled dude got? We have at least 100 years before GITS is possible.

lovRDke.jpg

Heel

Deadspin: Whatever Happened To The UFC?

This Saturday, the UFC will run a card in Auckland, New Zealand, to be broadcast on their online subscription service. The main event will feature New Zealander James Te Huna, who's lost two straight, and Nate Marquardt, who's lost three straight; the rest of the card isn't much more inspiring.

Also this Saturday, the UFC will run a card in San Antonio, Texas, to be televised on Fox Sports 1. The main event will feature Jeremy Stephens, a featherweight with a 10-8 UFC record best known for once having been arrested the day before he had a scheduled bout, leading to thankfully failed negotiations in which promoter Dana White tried to convince the Hennepin County sheriff's office to let the guy out of jail just long enough for him to fight. The co-main event will feature Nicholas Muskoe, a welterweight so obscure he doesn't even have a Wikipedia page.

iblqKABuSUkBm7.gif

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
If you're already on Deadspin today there's no need to be reading what we already know. You should be getting your daily dose of Virgil and finding out about Andre the Giant's cock fingers.

Heel

If you're already on Deadspin today there's no need to be reading what we already know. You should be getting your daily dose of Virgil and finding out about Andre the Giant's cock fingers.

Imagine being trapped in a rental car with Virgil. I'm still shook off that alone.

iddqd

Went a bit through the comments on the deadspin thing and came here:
http://deadspin.com/this-is-basically-idiot-criticism-bingo-so-ill-just-pu-1562571523

The overriding theme of our MMA coverage—and it's this way partly because insiders are constantly going on about it—is that the sport is functionally broken. It's run by crazy people and incompetents and indifferent commissions, covered by people who in many cases have financial ties to the UFC, and broadcast mainly on a network that functions as a propaganda outlet

Pretty much this.
887.gif

UFC is represented by Dana White...I mean if you want that guy....who shits on some of HIS fighters for marketability...representing you...if have this one for ya:

1278927261033.gif

Mindboggling that Lorenzo keeps that guy around. It truly is...

FUME5

Did anyone notice that in EA UFC LHW & MW are combined into 1 division? Same with FLY-LW and LW-WW. Why is this online only and not local?

It's baffling the amount of weird shit missing from the game. Those videos of current and former fighters telling you how great you're doing are hilarious, you can see them thinking "was the $50 dana bucks I got paid for this worth telling some fat nerd how great his standup is?".

I was looking forward to seeing Joanne Caldwerwood fight in the UFC, but now I've gotta see Rin go at it.

Dipz

Banned
Went a bit through the comments on the deadspin thing and came here:
http://deadspin.com/this-is-basically-idiot-criticism-bingo-so-ill-just-pu-1562571523

The overriding theme of our MMA coverage—and it's this way partly because insiders are constantly going on about it—is that the sport is functionally broken. It's run by crazy people and incompetents and indifferent commissions, covered by people who in many cases have financial ties to the UFC, and broadcast mainly on a network that functions as a propaganda outlet

Pretty much this.
887.gif
In many cases? I can only think of one person they could be referring to and that's Ariel Helwani who is employed by Fox for TV coverage, fighter interviews etc and SB Nation by way of MMA Fighting. Oh and Karyn Bryant of MMA Heat who is a horrible excuse for a journalist and is almost a caricature of what many on GAF envision enthusiast journalists to be.

iddqd

The night of roid Jiu Jitsu!
Fun fact, Barnet can wear wrestling shoes! I think it will be barnburner like Schaub vs. Abreu.

And regarding the paid Journalists,
just watch any hype video. Morgan from MMA Junkie, the other guys from the MMA Beat panel.. they all are now paraded to tell us if someone is ledigt (in something that is basically an advertisement for a product)
It's now the same with Glory when you look at The MMA hour specifically. One week they are sponsored by them, the next they talk about the event and you guessed it, LOVED IT! There was controversy? Well surely THEY dont think so.

In my opinion they all are and have to be too close to the organisation that they want to cover.

But hey, it's really not different than any other enthusiast press that lives by the good will of the industry it covers (ie gaming, tech)

(and the Co-main event podcast at least makes you THINK that they are somewhat good journalists if only for their blatant negativity towards all of MMA)

Fucking loooooool at Chael stealing Taz lines and the standard wrasslin "At the end of the night" shit. Chael is a hack. I wish he'd get into pro wrestling for real instead of pretending to be one so he can get worked on the mic by people with actual mic skills.

your hate for Sonnen knows no bounds. here's his giant white teeth.

Sonnen-troll-smile.jpg

Heel

The night of roid Jiu Jitsu!

Like every other night! lol

Fucking loooooool at Chael stealing Taz lines and the standard wrasslin "At the end of the night" shit. Chael is a hack. I wish he'd get into pro wrestling for real instead of pretending to be one so he can get worked on the mic by people with actual mic skills.

At the end of the day, still better than Daniel Bryan.

strobogo

Banned
He should have said:

At the end of the night, when the smoke clears, I'll be the man getting his arm raised. Beat me if you can, survive if I let you, motha fucka. ....Whattamark....

Tazz_-_Peter_Senerchia_39.jpg

dream

The thing that surprised me about the Deadspin piece is that Tim Marchman ends the article with an air of optimism that I don't believe the piece warrants. He makes a case for the Ultimate being so diluted that it means absolutely nothing now, but still believes that "It will all come together at some point." I do not believe it will "all come together" at any point. I think the brand, the product, the sport has been so irrevocably damaged at this point that people don't even actively dislike it; they're apathetic to it. On any given weekend, there will be at least one Ultimate going on, and absolutely zero reason for anyone to tune in to it. The lack of character building, the dilution of the titles, the interchangeable parts that comprise their roster...it all contributes to this cloud of "mehness" that hangs over every shitty event they put on.

Dipz

Banned
Amen, dream. I don't want to waste another whole god damn Saturday watching badder than Bad MMA without any of the charm real Bad MMA provides. That first double header Saturday was enough. It was so soul crushing that I was pissed I didn't have a paycheck to show for it when it was all said and done. I just went over the UFC Fight Night 43 card that's in Australia and literally the only fight I am remotely interested in seeing on it is Hatsu Hioki vs Charles "do Bronx" Oliveira. The rest of it is an absolute shitshow.

Vio-Lence

Banned
The thing that surprised me about the Deadspin piece is that Tim Marchman ends the article with an air of optimism that I don't believe the piece warrants. He makes a case for the Ultimate being so diluted that it means absolutely nothing now, but still believes that "It will all come together at some point." I do not believe it will "all come together" at any point. I think the brand, the product, the sport has been so irrevocably damaged at this point that people don't even actively dislike it; they're apathetic to it. On any given weekend, there will be at least one Ultimate going on, and absolutely zero reason for anyone to tune in to it. The lack of character building, the dilution of the titles, the interchangeable parts that comprise their roster...it all contributes to this cloud of "mehness" that hangs over every shitty event they put on.

well said dream. i'm not even sure how one can even actively dislike the sport when its so completely irrelevant. i am completely apathetic to this shit. i think i'm at the point where i only visit this thread out of habit. interest in this sport is at 0%.

bone_and_sinew

I only visit this thread because of the community we got.

I want to make detritus part of my regular vocabulary. "Dear god no I don't want Kendrick Perkins, he's detritus".

Dipz

Banned
So you think WCWWF wrestler Taz was the first individual to ever utter the phrase "at the end of the night"? It's a pretty generic phrase that predates him.

dream

I thought iddqd made a really good point about how "it's really not different than any other enthusiast press that lives by the good will of the industry it covers (ie gaming, tech)."

For all the posturing and all the banter about fighting being in our DNA, this is a niche sport covered by an enthusiast press, watched by a rapidly dwindling enthusiast fanbase. But the Ultimate acts like it's not. Being on Fox and having a token section on espn.com does not a mainstream sport make. espn covers lacrosse (http://espn.go.com/lacrosse/) and Fox airs high school football ("Beginning Aug. 23, FOX HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL heads to towns across the nation, showcasing the greatest prep players on FOX Sports 1, America’s new sports network, debuting Aug. 17") for fucks sake. The Ultimate is literally alongside lacrosse and high school football.

Heel

Well said, dream. The UFC has done nothing short of attempt to commodify the fight game, when it was built on being a unique spectacle. I'm hoping Scott Coker can recapture the spirit of what makes MMA great: A big, destination event that you're truly anticipating. At the end of the day, the only thing that will inspire change in the UFC is true competition.

Dipz

Banned
enthusiast press

images
Seriously, if GAF thought that some video game journalists were bad.. Oh man, the shit I've seen in my time in the MMA journalism world.

But Josh Gross who is in that picture there is a G.
Well said, dream. The UFC has done nothing short of attempt to commodify the fight game, when it was built on being a unique spectacle. I'm hoping Scott Coker can recapture the spirit of what makes MMA great: A big, destination event that you're truly anticipating. At the end of the day, the only thing that will inspire change in the UFC is true competition.
It's almost like after vanquishing Strikeforce, The Ultimate became what Intel was right before AMD gave them a wakeup call.

Oh, and seriously, get Shovel Knight, people.

Dipz

Banned
What did everyone think of the way Glory promoted their event last Saturday? Unlike the UFC, they basically promoted their prelims as a whole separate card from the PPV. They also stacked the shit out of it, putting a 4 man featherweight tourney, plus Ristie/Hollenbeck and I think the UFC should take notes.

Hell, maybe they already have, given that they've put Urijah Faber on the prelims for UFC 175 vs. Bruce Leroy.

I think it was a smart move. They gave people really good fights and basically said if you want more get the PPV. UFC always seems like they are saying yeah all our good fights are on the PPV.

Heel

What did everyone think of the way Glory promoted their event last Saturday? Unlike the UFC, they basically promoted their prelims as a whole separate card from the PPV. They also stacked the shit out of it, putting a 4 man featherweight tourney, plus Ristie/Hollenbeck and I think the UFC should take notes.

Hell, maybe they already have, given that they've put Urijah Faber on the prelims for UFC 175 vs. Bruce Leroy.

It's a great product and all, at least in-ring, but I don't think they're anywhere near ready to be pushing pay-per-views on the fledgling U.S. audience.

If Joe Schilling's tournament runs at GLORY 10 and Last Man Standing were on Spike they might have a real star on their hands, but as of right now it just feels like a spoiled opportunity. That man is money.

Dipz

Banned
UFC 175 Main Card

Chris Weidman (c) vs. Lyoto Machida
Ronda Rousey (c) vs. Alexis Davis
Stefan Struve vs. Matt Mitrione
Uriah Hall vs. Thiago Santos
Marcus Brimage vs. Russell Doane

Seriously, none of the bolded matchups really belong on an International Fight Week PPV main card. Maybe one of them to kick off the PPV would be acceptable. They are charging 59.95 for HD for this shit. I really hope this bombs in terms of buys, because this card really is not worth it one bit. The Ultimate has decided to present feces on a silver platter to us and swear up and down that it has the same worth as the caviar we paid the same price for a year or two prior.

I mean seriously, does anyone here know who Thiago Santos is? And no, it's not the Thiago Santos who memorably rendered Eric Prindle unable to conceive future offspring, this is ANOTHER Thiago Santos who fights at middleweight. Apparently that name is the Brazilian equivalent of John Smith. Who knew?

But don't judge the card until you actually see the fights, right friends?

Since Vitor is itching to fight so bad, why don't they have him fight Uriah Hall? Hall is coming off making Chris Leben quit on the stool and retire for fuck's sake.

And yeah Joe Schilling has star potential written all over him. Glory's Cor Hemmers basically said as much in the post-fight presser too, saying he was an important part of the promotion's future. I mean seriously, walking out in orange prison garb with the dodgers logo on it? That's pretty badass. I can't wait until dream's essay tells us how many PPV buys Glory got.

bone_and_sinew

UFC 175 Main Card

I mean seriously, does anyone here know who Thiago Santos is? And no, it's not the Thiago Santos who memorably rendered Eric Prindle unable to conceive future offspring
The UFC almost got me on that one. I figured Hall moved up to 205 after getting recycled repeatedly at 185 and Santos punched his way to the big show and dropped weight. That's one Bad MMA in the UFC match-up ruined for me.

Dipz

Banned
Still boggles the mind that they put Faber on the prelims and Brimage on the actual PPV.

Marcus Brimage's last fight was in April 2013 at featherweight when he got two-pieced by a debuting Conor McGregor. And he's making his bantamweight debut after a very long injury-induced layoff vs a dude who only has one fight in the UFC under his belt.

Yeah, that fight is definitely PPV-worthy.

Top Bottom