• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

lovRDke.jpg

BP2Nn0g.jpg

Can it be real?

Marcus Brimage's last fight was in April 2013 at featherweight when he got two-pieced by a debuting Conor McGregor. And he's making his bantamweight debut after a very long injury-induced layoff vs a dude who only has one fight in the UFC under his belt.

Yeah, that fight is definitely PPV-worthy.

And he's fighting a guy who is 1-0 and whose one fight was a prelim on a card almost nobody saw in the first place.

The reliance on Wand coming through really derailed UFC 175.

But seeing Machida get put to deep sleep again will be extremely fun to watch. Dragon era dies again.

Yesterday a co-worker asked me if Tito Ortiz is a good fighter. Bellator's bag of cans is breaking through among casuals better than the UFC's hypersaturation strategy.

strobogo

Banned
So you think WCWWF wrestler Taz was the first individual to ever utter the phrase "at the end of the night"? It's a pretty generic phrase that predates him.

No. Taz's line was "Beat me if you can....survive if I let you". The "at the end of the night/when the smoke clears/when all is said and done" was a generic phrase that got used ALL THE GOD DAMN TIME in wrestling for 30 years. No one could ever say, "When the match is over....". I have zero doubts Chael used it because it has been used so frequently in pro wrestling.

dream

GLORY does almost everything right. But unfortunately, I think their biggest problem is that they are a kickboxing promotion, which is a tough sell that requires a slow build and a long education process. But being on Spike helps, especially since they seem to understand how to build fighters in the same way Bellator once did before losing sight of everything.

strobogo

Banned
GLORY does almost everything right. But unfortunately, I think their biggest problem is that they are a kickboxing promotion, which is a tough sell that requires a slow build and a long education process. But being on Spike helps, especially since they seem to understand how to build fighters in the same way Bellator once did before losing sight of everything.

Kick boxing seems way easier sell than full MMA. It's boxing, with kicks. No wrestling. No ground stuff. High level punching/kicking the shit out of each other. MMA has way more education, as if you want to be a fan of more than hanging and banging, you need to have knowledge of BJJ/wrestling/boxing/MOOEY TIE/judo to understand why guys and girls are doing what they're doing to try to win a fight. People who don't want to learn any of that shit can just watch GLORY and watch guys hang and bang, see some dope strikes they won't see in MMA, and call it a day.

dream

Kick boxing seems way easier sell than full MMA. It's boxing, with kicks. No wrestling. No ground stuff. High level punching/kicking the shit out of each other. MMA has way more education, as if you want to be a fan of more than hanging and banging, you need to have knowledge of BJJ/wrestling/boxing/MOOEY TIE/judo to understand why guys and girls are doing what they're doing to try to win a fight. People who don't want to learn any of that shit can just watch GLORY and watch guys hang and bang, see some dope strikes they won't see in MMA, and call it a day.

I don't disagree with any of that, but I feel like Ultimate Fighting has been, to some degree, normalized, whereas kickboxing is viewed as the X-Games of combat sports. It's something that's always been on the periphery of people's awareness, but fuck it, let's watch Mayweather box.

strobogo

Banned
Muscle Lady Shark looks MISERABLE in every picture I've seen of her. Unrelated to that, I was listening to the JRE with Duke Roufus and jeeeeeeeezus did he piss me off saying "X VERSE X" everytime. It's versus. Some weird people use "verse" as a verb, as in, "I'm going to verse Little Jimmy in basketball". Those people are dumb dumbs. A fighter and commentator not being able to tell the difference between verse and versus bugs the shit out of me.

Metamoris 4 is expected to take place August 9, 2014 at the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles, CA and stream live as an online pay-per-view for $20. Kenny Florian and Jeff Glover will return as commentators.

The complete Metamoris 4 card can be seen below.

• Chael Sonnen vs. Andre Galvao
  • Josh Barnett vs. Dean Lister
  • Saulo Ribeiro vs. Robert "Comprido" Medeiros
  • Vinny Magalaghaes vs. Keenan Cornelius
  • Gary Tonon vs. Kit Dale
  • Secret Match

dream

Sorry to correct you, Tim, but the $20 price point is a preorder price. The PPV jumps up to $30 if you order after July 5.

I say it's worth it, and I'm hoping the secret match is Rener Gracie vs. "Ice Cream" Kron Gracie because that would be unreal.

Heel

The idea of a "secret match" where the competitors allegedly don't even know who they're going to grapple is something I can get behind, especially if one of them turns out to be "King" Kevin Casey.

Metamoris was rumored to have sold out to Fight Pass. Glad to see they're soldiering on, as it seems like they're really starting to turn the corner. That all falls apart pretty quickly if and when the UFC decides to not let their roster compete, though.

Dipz

Banned
Yeah I was pretty surprised to get that Metamoris PPV email today, I figured the UFC would've had the Fight Pass thing all locked up by now. I'm thinking of maybe going to this one.

Metamoris may still happen on Fight Pass, just not live PPV events. I for one would love to see grappling and other combat sports like Muay Thai on Fight Pass. Heck, even instructional videos on Fight Pass. Imagine being able to view Bang Ludwig's striking instructional or BJJ instructionals. I'd buy in for sure.

iddqd

Man, Saulo Ribeiro.
I thought he was retired for good.
The school I train at is under his tutelage so now I have no choice but throw money at the wrong Gracies.

dream

Strobogo, a few years back there was some unveil in wrestling that was super disappointing and when it happened, the commentator just quietly said "...its [whoever]" with no hint of surprise or excitement in his voice. Do you remember who that was?

strobogo

Banned
Strobogo, a few years back there was some unveil in wrestling that was super disappointing and when it happened, the commentator just quietly said "...its [whoever]" with no hint of surprise or excitement in his voice. Do you remember who that was?

Sounds like every reveal from TNA since 2010.

dream

No, I think it was a few years before that. I'll ask wrestling gaf once they get their monthly fits of being weirdos out of their system.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Sounds like Christian's return to WWE.

Heel

There's a UFC card on tonight, deep in the AM hours, co-headlined by Jared Rosholt. Just thought I'd let you all know.

There's a UFC card on tonight, deep in the AM hours, co-headlined by Jared Rosholt. Just thought I'd let you all know.

BTW, when do they stop referring to him as the brother of Jake Rosholt? Who knows who that is anymore? At this point Jared is much more relevant.

Top Bottom