• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Canelo got exposed by Money May
Maravilla was put to the pasture
Gamboa just got got

The few boxing heroes I have are getting recycled left and right
jbzcH0F5U6uMjI.png

Dipz

Banned
So the second dual event day in UFC history began with a show in New Zealand that nobody saw with a bunch of no-names fighting their asses off, an epic fight between Hatsu Hioki and Charles Oliveira, Jared Rosholt stinking up the joint and Nate The Great turning back the clock a bit. The other show in San Antonio had great, quick prelims followed by a mostly boring main card mired by abysmal judging that was almost sleep-inducing at times until the main event came along and woke everyone up. Swanson vs Stephens was every bit the barn burner that was advertised to us and for the first time in forever we had a couple of main eventers who didn't sell us wolf tickets or try to bore us to sleep. They went in there to fight. Every main card fight prior to theirs went to decision and the twittersphere was praying to the asshole MMA gods not to allow this one to also go to the cards but by the end of it I don't think one person was pissed that it did. Top to bottom, the card did suck and even that great main event didn't lift the paying audience out of its malaise however. It was a mostly humdrum affair capped off by a tone deaf and basically Giesian statement during the post-fight show by sorry excuse for a journalist and self-proclaimed Rosa Parks of MMA Karyn Bryant awkwardly calling out Deadspin's Tim Marchman by saying that Deadspin was dead wrong (get it) for "daring" to ask the question "whatever happened to the UFC?" because this card was AWESOME. I wish Fox Sports didn't allow this shameless cheerleading on their sports news show. But then again it's nothing compared to what they pass off as news programming on their Republican Propaganda channel so I don't know why I'm surprised. It's seriously the typical GAF caricature of enthusiast press come to life.

Oh and that Karyn Bryant thing was followed by a hilariously bad public statement read on the air by Bryant from Chael Sonnen about his new failed drug test basically saying that he was using this stuff to get off TRT and that he would work with the commissions to help educate them. Hilarious shit, really. I gave him the benefit of the doubt in his previous drug test failures because his explanations actually made sense, especially the more recent one coming off of commission-approved TRT, but this is just a bridge too far.

Man, I remember subscribing to Karyn Bryant's YouTube channel years ago, watching her interviews and stuff. When did she become such a shameless UFC PR shill/cheerleader? Or was she always, and I just didn't notice it because I also used to really like UFC?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Man, I remember subscribing to Karyn Bryant's YouTube channel years ago, watching her interviews and stuff. When did she become such a shameless UFC PR shill/cheerleader? Or was she always, and I just didn't notice it because I also used to really like UFC?

Bryant along with Shillwani (get mad Heel) are functionally UFC employees. I think it was another Deadspin article that compared them to Mean Gene Okerlund which sounds appropriate to me.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

It's the easiest only way to make money in non-mainstream sports/industries like this.

At least the UFC have some visible detractors within their media bubble though. Most non-mainstream stuff has nothing but blatant shills and yes-men (games, consumer PC/network hardware & software, etc).

Was at the fights last night. Some of the fights got so boring that the crowd turned to doing the wave for five minutes. That along with bird calls and wooing noises. The prelims completely outperformed the main card.

Dipz

Banned
Bryant along with Shillwani (get mad Heel) are functionally UFC employees. I think it was another Deadspin article that compared them to Mean Gene Okerlund which sounds appropriate to me.
Call Helwani a shill all you want, but you'll never see him appear on air after a ridiculously boring and badly paced card lying to himself and the camera saying that the card was amazing.

Joe Ferraro ‏@ShowdownJoe 20s

A fair amount of reports out there, that both original UFC events scheduled for Toronto and Montreal this year, could be moved elsewhere.

SMH Dana White

Top Bottom