• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

VoxPop

I'm assuming you're talking about Cyborg's fight with Jan Finney with Kim Winslow as the ref. Yeah Winslow was a terrible terrible ref back then. She allowed King Mo to just rain down a bunch of shots on a clearly KO'd Lorenz Larkin later on too.

reminds me of the MMA version of Blue Bear (?) from Million Dollar Baby

strobogo

Banned
I'm assuming you're talking about Cyborg's fight with Jan Finney with Kim Winslow as the ref. Yeah Winslow was a terrible terrible ref back then. She allowed King Mo to just rain down a bunch of shots on a clearly KO'd Lorenz Larkin later on too.

Yes. Terrible, terrible officiating. The only thing Finney could do was cover her head and hold on to Cyborg's leg for dear life. She wasn't defending herself at all. And this happened 4 or 5 times in the first round. It should have been stopped multiple times. Plus Cyborg beaming in the back of the head during every flurry, most of them looking on purpose, throwing an illegal knee that wasn't called out at all. Cyborg eventually got called for the back of the head strikes, but kept doing them with impunity.

There is one point where the ref is saying "Jan, you got work" repeatedly as she just stays there like a turtle getting blasted, while the announcers keep saying she's not working at all, but the ref just lets it go while Cyborg is looking at her to end the fight before she murders this poor girl.

strobogo

Banned
LEGIT SHOOK PRESENTS

Strikeforce: Fedor vs Werdum

With guest host Strobogo

Fedor tapping, Cung Le doing some spin kicks, TERRIBLE officiating in the Cyborg fight, a German suplex.

After 10+ years of being a hardcore fan, I don't think I've ever cared less about the sport...

BTpxqqt.png

Fight Night after fight night... This wouldn't be such a bad thing if it didn't stretch the talents so thin between the cards... Especially since it affects the caliber of PPV cards.

Dipz

Banned
This upcoming fight night is one of the more stacked ones on the horizon too. Check out Fight Night 46.

They brought in a Japanese can who has been doing nothing but the can circuit and his last kind of legit opponent was Jorge Masvidal back in 2010 who he lost to, and the dude is fighting the TUF: The Smashes winner on the main card.

Anybody gonna watch the Ginger Mexican tonight?

YaGaMi

After 10+ years of being a hardcore fan, I don't think I've ever cared less about the sport...

BTpxqqt.png

Fight Night after fight night... This wouldn't be such a bad thing if it didn't stretch the talents so thin between the cards... Especially since it affects the caliber of PPV cards.

Most of us have headed this way. Luckily in the UK we don't have to pay crazy money per PPV.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Ah fudge I forgot to watch the Canelo fight. I could've seen on my phone too since it's deader than the UFC here at work and the manager is a huge combat sports fan who watches scraps with me.

Did Canelo win legit? I just saw on the espn crawl it was a split decision.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

BTpxqqt.png

The thing I find funny about the way the UFC.com presents fights with fighter portraits (with names showing on a mouseover) is that they're giving us the impression that we're expected to know who the fuck these people are at first glance. And that's when they even show fighter portraits at all.

Let's see: Barboza, I think Story is in that second one, Linekar is on the forth one. Then you've got Tibau and Healy... and that's about it.

The thing I find funny about the way the UFC.com presents fights with fighter portraits (with names showing on a mouseover) is that they're giving us the impression that we're expected to know who the fuck these people are at first glance. And that's when they even show fighter portraits at all.

Let's see: Barboza, I think Story is in that second one, Linekar is on the forth one. Then you've got Tibau and Healy... and that's about it.

Its like a guessing game. I wanna try ..

Row1: Barboza, Dunham, Story, x, x, x, Lineker, x, x, x

Row2: Tibau, Healy, Duke, x, Viana, x, x, The Shadow

Row3: Two people fighting for a hot meal

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
OffendedGAF makes it really difficult to discuss anything remotely related to that topic.

I love it when people get offended purely for the sake of being offended. Especially for shit that has literally no bearing on anything in their lives.

It's actually the reason why I don't hang about with other foreigners in Asia. Most of them easily fit the "I'm American/Canadian/White/Liberal-minded and I know better than these Taiwanese/Korean/Japanese people and I am offended at their cultural practices yet live here" mold, and hanging around with people like that makes me want to jump out of a window.

strobogo

Banned
I like when people get offended over terms that the people they get offended for use to refer to themselves.

Like ladyboys in Thailand calling themselves ladyboys. People will get offended, saying that is a terrible word to use, when that is the word those people refer to themselves as.

It's always middle class white people who start campaigns to get black people to stop calling each other nigga, get ladyboys to stop calling themselves ladyboys, etc etc.

I like when people get offended over terms that the people they get offended for use to refer to themselves.

Like ladyboys in Thailand calling themselves ladyboys. People will get offended, saying that is a terrible word to use, when that is the word those people refer to themselves as.

Yeah, predictably that thread got rushed by people wondering if that word was offensive or not, despite the fact that it's what ladyboys call themselves in Thailand. Some of them had somehow never even heard the term before, but of course assumed it was offensive anyway.

strobogo

Banned
The first page alone of that thread is great. LIke the guy who is in love with his girl and will marry her some day, but would cheat on her with a ladyboy without hesitation. People who have never heard of the term (which I find hard to believe), but are pretty sure it is offensive. People dying to figure out a way to categorize if it makes you straight, gay, bi, or something else if you are a dude and want to bang a ladyboy. Arm chair psychologists coming up with theories as to why a straight man would be attracted to ladyboys. People saying things like "I'm not knowledgeable on the subject, so I can't judge, but I understand why people would be offended at the word."

The dudes in there dying to find a classification like they have sexual label OCD are weird as fuck. Why do those guys care so much about what the label is?

Next

The first page alone of that thread is great. LIke the guy who is in love with his girl and will marry her some day, but would cheat on her with a ladyboy without hesitation. People who have never heard of the term (which I find hard to believe), but are pretty sure it is offensive. People dying to figure out a way to categorize if it makes you straight, gay, bi, or something else if you are a dude and want to bang a ladyboy. Arm chair psychologists coming up with theories as to why a straight man would be attracted to ladyboys. People saying things like "I'm not knowledgeable on the subject, so I can't judge, but I understand why people would be offended at the word."

And this is why I love the Internet

strobogo

Banned
Things in Rise of the Dawn of the Place of Monkeys:

Monkeys*, a bear, horses, guns, a tank, Felicity, Commissioner Gordon, C4, a video camera, fire, solid ground and pound.

*Not actually monkeys*

Kogepan

Its like a guessing game. I wanna try ..

Row1: Barboza, Dunham, Story, x, x, x, Lineker, x, x, x

Row2: Tibau, Healy, Duke, x, Viana, x, x, The Shadow

Row3: Two people fighting for a hot meal

Don't like these guys? Then don't watch? But yeah, apparently Dana White is personally forcing you to watch this right?

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Don't like these guys? Then don't watch? But yeah, apparently Dana White is personally forcing you to watch this right?
Like has nothing to do with it. I have a liking for Gray "The Bully" Maynard (the origins of which I cannot fully comprehend) but if Dana announced that he was headlining a UFC on FOX card in a catch-weight superfight against Dennis Bermudez I'd laugh my arse off, even if it's a free fight that I could muster some interest in.

Kogepan

Like has nothing to do with it. I have a liking for Gray "The Bully" Maynard (the origins of which I cannot fully comprehend) but if Dana announced that he was headlining a UFC on FOX card in a catch-weight superfight against Dennis Bermudez I'd laugh my arse off, even if it's a free fight that I could muster some interest in.

So you would rather there be no fights nights, because you dont want to watch them?

Srsly why do you go out of your way to disparage something you have no interest in? Just dont watch if you find it so pathetic.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
So you would rather there be no fights nights, because you dont want to watch them?

Srsly why do you go out of your way to disparage something you have no interest in? Just dont watch if you find it so pathetic.
It's like you didn't even read my post. But yeah sure, I actually hate pretty much all MMA and just want the sport to die off. Everyone in this thread does. That's why they're always ridiculing the UFC's current strategy, because it's such a roaring success that it makes that dream more unlikely with every day that passes.

They have a ppv with dillashaw headlining and only 4 other bouts...all prelim bouts at best and pre-sale happens on wednesday. Like no fights from Ufc 176 migrated on to that card. They put mousasi and jacare on some obscure ass fight night card instead....how is the Ufc getting worse at all this? This is unbelievable

Heel

Not going to complain that they're giving away good fights like Jacare/Mousasi rematch for free now. The next few Fight Nights look surprisingly watchable, and they're not even aided by fights from the canceled PPV.

When it's a one fight card with a sea of enhancement talent? That's when I complain.

They have a ppv with dillashaw headlining and only 4 other bouts...all prelim bouts at best and pre-sale happens on wednesday. Like no fights from Ufc 176 migrated on to that card. They put mousasi and jacare on some obscure ass fight night card instead....how is the Ufc getting worse at all this? This is unbelievable

They have tons of time to add fights to 177, I wouldn't be worried just yet.........I wouldn't buy tickets until they finish the card lol

Dipz

Banned
They have tons of time to add fights to 177, I wouldn't be worried just yet.........I wouldn't buy tickets until they finish the card lol
I wouldn't buy tickets period if they were very pricey. The card they're selling with current prices could end up not remotely being what you end up getting.

If you do, just be prepared for a Pascal Kraus vs Zak Cummings main event is all.

Top Bottom