• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

VoxPop

pictures show it all,

hard clean shots landed by Young Mauler.
JBJ eye poking like he's moe, larry, or curly.

take away his wrestling, eye pokes, "elliptical" kicks to the knee, what do you have left?

shogun-rua-22.jpg

muddream

Banned
Gus clearly won most rounds on the "who would you have rather been" scoring system, which is the only sensible way to score a fight...Jones had that spinning elbow, 2 or 3 standing elbows and maybe 5 kicks that actually connected with the shin instead of the foot.

That doesn't really measure up to eating a steady diet of fist for 25 mins and JBJ's face tells the story of that fight.

The most powerful moments concerning a rematch were a) Gus taking him down and b) getting straight up from underneath without taking any damage. Jones got really lucky when he landed that elbow, Gus was having his most dominant round up until then...not to mention how he got away with eyepoking for 5 rounds. The only thing Gus is lacking at this point is a personality or rabid ethnic fanbase...he masterfully showed his knowledge of the base of pyramid.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
That pic could be a cover for an mma version of ready to rumble. Its not every day you see a dude get his mouth punched to the side of his face like daffy duck when he eats a bullet from elmer fudds shotgun.

Gus deserves the rematch. Besides who the hell wants to see JBJ vs Glover squash match? We all know hat happens when Jones faces somebody much smaller.

LOL & the thought of Phil Davis in contention.

Next

Gus deserves the rematch. Besides who the hell wants to see JBJ vs Glover squash match? We all know hat happens when Jones faces somebody much smaller.

This. Have jones vs gus 2 and then glover vs davis for the title shot.

muddream

Banned
I believe everyone should watch Conor McGregor's MMA Hour interview, where he calls most of 145 & 155 trash, Ariel's wife fat & forgets most of the questions because he's too busy combing his beard and talking about himself.

Phil Davis isn't a fighter at heart & he's not even improving significantly like prospects typically do. Rashad would still toy with him for 5 rounds, he's an embarrassment to the Ultimate's NHB roots & a competent matchmaker would've paired him up with Glover for a retirement party a long time ago.

I think Glover should get the next LHW title match. Gustafson's loss was a close one but not controversial like Bendo/Edgar 2, Shogan/Machida 1 or Bendo/Melendez.

Give Gustafson another top LHW then book the rematch like they did for Cain/Dos Santos.

Bones vs Glowver is a waste of fucking time. Let Glowver get through bitch ass Phil Davis in the co-main event of the Bones/Gus rematch so you can have a guy get a title shot who isn't coming off a fight that no one saw.

MjFrancis

That image perfectly copies Vulgar Display of Power.

It's... beautiful.

I can't believe that I didn't make the connection earlier. Vulgar Display of Power has been on my iPod... well, since I got an iPod. Some shitty dubstep group could use the Jones image for the remix album. That's almost guaranteed to happen in the future.

VASPER

Banned
So watching the Jones Gus fight i think Gus won 1-3 and bones 4&5, i know that a lot of other people think differently. I think I'm wrong in saying this but it feels like the judges pay more attention to the last few rounds more than what has happened the entire fight. On one hand i think if a fighter looks like he wouldn't make it into another round if they had another or should it be judged on who did the most damage, who took the most. Whats MMA Gaf think?

So watching the Jones Gus fight i think Gus won 1-3 and bones 4&5, i know that a lot of other people think differently. I think I'm wrong in saying this but it feels like the judges pay more attention to the last few rounds more than what has happened the entire fight. On one hand i think if a fighter looks like he wouldn't make it into another round if they had another or should it be judged on who did the most damage, who took the most. Whats MMA Gaf think?

I could be wrong but I thought judges turn in their scores immediately after each round to prevent that kind of thing from happening.

That's the general consensus actually. Where most people differ is the 2nd round.

I'd have been okay with them scoring it 10-10 making it a draw or 10-9 for Gustafsson. You could make a rational argument either way. But that judge who scored it 49-46 is a dumbfuck.

Yeah the judges score each round individually. Which is why I never understood why the make a big deal of trying to look victorious at the end of the fight to 'sell it'.

I think they used to score Pride fights at the end though, right?

Yeah the judges score each round individually. Which is why I never understood why the make a big deal of trying to look victorious at the end of the fight to 'sell it'.

I think they used to score Pride fights at the end though, right?
Yeah Jon tried to sell that 2nd round big time. He was deathly afraid of losing his precious logos.

And yes, PRIDE scored at the end after the Yakuza money came in.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/9/2...ander-gustafsson-scorecards-released-mma-news

Judge Richard Bertrand, who scored the fight 48-47 for Jones, gave him rounds 2, 4, and 5, scoring 1 and 3 for Gustafsson. Judge Doug Crosby, who also scored the fight 48-47 for Jones, had the champion winning 3, 4, and 5, giving Gustafsson rounds 1 and 2. And finally, judge Chris Lee, who scored the fight 49-46 for Jones, only awarded Gustafsson the first round, awarding 2, 3, 4, and 5 to Jones. All Judges agreed that Jones won 4 and 5 and that Gustafsson won round 1, it was only the middle two that saw them divided in their scoring.

Crosby is a well-proven idiot himself, so I'm not surprised. His UFC 112 Penn/Edgar I score is infamous.

That fight could have used some Cecil "You Can't Win A Fight With Leg Kicks" Peoples.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Of course the one Ultimate I don't watch a single second of in months has a main event that is an epic hugging hospital picture scrap. Of course.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Jones said he shouldn't have focussed on his boxing so much for that fight. On the one hand, if that's what his boxing was like after a camp where it was the priority then Gus could knock him about even worse in a rematch. On the other, if he comes in with a goal of wrestling it could be bad news for Gus, even though Gus' skills and physical dimensions give him a better defence than any of Jones' opponents so far.

why is everyone hating on mr. 1derful?
Haha, very clever.

Top Bottom