• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

Heel

Wow, Roufusport is getting blown up after the death of one of their kickboxers in his amateur debut. Awful situation. A lot of fighters chiming in on some pretty shitty gym behavior.

Here's a video breakdown of the fight in question if you can handle it. Nothing extremely graphic, just a progressively deteriorating fighter with no intervention from anyone involved.

At first I thought it was just over-analyzing the signs after knowing what happened, but round 3 in particular is gross negligence on behalf of the ref, corner and ringside doctor.

What's worse is I saw this same ref working the BattleGrounds MMA card months later.

MjFrancis

After watching the UFC card this weekend, I can say while I'm a little sad that Hunt lost, I'm glad he got a few good shots in before he went down. I hope he was paid handsomely for saving a card on three week's notice.

Also, those prelims were nasty in a couple unusual ways.

Wow, Roufusport is getting blown up after the death of one of their kickboxers in his amateur debut. Awful situation. A lot of fighters chiming in on some pretty shitty gym behavior.

Here's a video breakdown of the fight in question if you can handle it. Nothing extremely graphic, just a progressively deteriorating fighter with no intervention from anyone involved.

At first I thought it was just over-analyzing the signs after knowing what happened, but round 3 in particular is gross negligence on behalf of the ref, corner and ringside doctor.

What's worse is I saw this same ref working the BattleGrounds MMA card months later.

They misread the situation completely. Im not sure if the guy is gassed or semi brain damaged in round 3. Very hard to tell. His trainer should have been the one to intervene here as he knows him the best. To be fair the officials really thought the guy was only gassed and could at least fight to the end as you see gassed fighters and sloppy exchanges very often in the amateur leagues especially when you're a ref or fight doc.

Im not sure if I would have read the situation correctly. I would have atleast known in round 3 that the guy cant win the fight...

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

I saw this video earlier. Those "warning signs" went way beyond "he's just gassed" territory.

Video: Rose Namajunas, Pat Barry + L-Dogg Sound Off On Roufusport’s Methods, Dennis Munson Jr’s Death

Watching this now. Apparently they had same day weigh-ins? Whoever thinks this is the solution to fighters cutting too much weight should smack themselves. They'll cut too much weight anyway and risk their lives even further by being dehydrated during the actual fight.

Nova Uniao would be death row.

I imagine that same-day weigh ins would necessitate a change in weight classes. Outside of the HW division I could see them adding 10lbs to each class in order to give fighters a buffer. But even then you'd still have 6'3" guys trying to make featherweight.

Heel

They misread the situation completely. Im not sure if the guy is gassed or semi brain damaged in round 3. Very hard to tell. His trainer should have been the one to intervene here as he knows him the best. To be fair the officials really thought the guy was only gassed and could at least fight to the end as you see gassed fighters and sloppy exchanges very often in the amateur leagues especially when you're a ref or fight doc.

Im not sure if I would have read the situation correctly. I would have atleast known in round 3 that the guy cant win the fight...

If there was a time for a standing 8 count, especially in an amateur fight, that was it.

Watch the Rose interview, which gives some damning statements on the Roufusport cornering mentality.

Heel

THE TIME IS NOW press conference, 2pm PT / 5pm ET

The stars of the UFC® will converge in Las Vegas alongside UFC President Dana White to launch an incredible slate of upcoming events. THE TIME IS NOW launch will feature the largest compilation of champions, contenders and main event headliners on the same stage. The event, which is free and open to the public, will take place at The Smith Center for the Performing Arts at 2 p.m. PT on Monday, Nov. 17, and will be streamed live on www.ufc.com.

As the UFC spans the globe with incredible live events from December’s Fight Night in Brazil to UFC® 184 in Los Angeles in February, the time is now to gear up for an epic stretch of fights inside the iconic Octagon®. For the first time ever, the UFC will also unveil its entire 2015 calendar and make a very special announcement.

Predictions?

Georges St-Pierre, UFC's new head of fighter drug testing.

TheChits

That third round. Jesus, this is terrible

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
B2rEVxOCYAAp12k.jpg

they'll just announce they're doubling down on Fight Pass garbage. Their announcements are always a disappointment.

Dana White is dressed sharply. Such a Las Vegas fight game juggernaut.

Edit: I cant listen to Nick...Im german, man but that his horrendous...

If they were smart fight nights would be small cards that build up fighters and pay-per-view would be have big fights aka at title fights.

But nah they're going to water it down.

If they were smart fight nights would be small cards that build up fighters and pay-per-view would be have big fights aka at title fights.

But nah they're going to water it down.

If my memory is holding up, that's what Fight Nights used to be. Small cards with new talent and guys that were lower in division standings. I liked it that way.

I mean it's great to have top talent on free cards but guys are getting injured half the time anyways AND about half of the Fight Nights are behind a paywall anyways.

Do we have ratings on the Bellator show yet? I'll be interested to see how it did in comparison to your average UFC show, especially since the Fox deal.

If my memory is holding up, that's what Fight Nights used to be. Small cards with new talent and guys that were lower in division standings. I liked it that way.

I mean it's great to have top talent on free cards but guys are getting injured half the time anyways AND about half of the Fight Nights are behind a paywall anyways.

I remember fight nights being headlined by either Melvin Guillard or Jim Miller all the time

iddqd

The conference today was a nice example of why a guy like Connor is getting more money and all the attention.

Him and Diaz where the shining moments.

And whoever wrote that the spanish translation was shitty, the german one was not much better. Siver did not actually say he thinks he is going to win. More like "I'll show up".

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I just read that Kevin Casey was hospitalised for treatment on blood clots. At least I know I'm not alone on that one.

And maybe it's unrelated, but taking artificial testosterone thickens your blood. themoreyouknow.jpg

Top Bottom