• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Yes, chat was dead and Bayonetta called out to me.
I'm going to play Bayonetta myself after the Ultimate. Some Metroid Fusion as well and watch the DC tv shows I missed throughout the week. Today I took the quiet peaceful night at home route over going to a questionable party in a really far, skeevy part of the city full of loud obnoxious people.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
There was a thing tonight? So many of them just fly right past without so much as even a little buzz.

I feel you. Edgar is one of the few fighters I still keep track of so that's why I took notice of this one.

I'm going to play Bayonetta myself after the Ultimate. Some Metroid Fusion as well and watch the DC tv shows I missed throughout the week. Today I took the quiet peaceful night at home route over going to a questionable party in a really far, skeevy part of the city full of loud obnoxious people.

I did the same, not really in the mood for the party scene this weekend. Sometimes, a video game and netflix filled weekend is just what I need.

Zzz

Connor will never fight Frankie.

Cub actually did well in the standup because he isn't fazed by Frankie's relatively light punches. Conor would be the same. He'd definitely need to focus on TDD and even more importantly, getting out of the bottom position. A lot of people seem to focus purely on TDD against wrestlers but with a guy who has Frankie's gas tank and technique, I think it's more important to work on getting out of bottom guard.

Edgar is cancer for exciting fights in this division. He's obviously talented but he's not going to hold the belt for any longer than one fight ever again.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I think you can see Swanson cry as his title shot flies away.

When he wakes up tomorrow and realises just how hard Aldo would hammer him he'll treat it like a blessing in disguise. Just like after those seven seconds he once had.

ldcommando

Banned
poor cubbie got fucking dominated. And then finished with 5 seconds left on the clock. FE is a beast.

And yeah, no way they match him with conor.

broz0rs

UFC should just cash out and give Conor a title shot in an Irish stadium. No chance in hell would they risk their winning lottery ticket on an Edgar fight.

Razdek

Banned
Edgar is cancer for exciting fights in this division. He's obviously talented but he's not going to hold the belt for any longer than one fight ever again.

Still made Swanson look like a chump who should be fighting in cage fighters. He didn't do shit and got owned like a $50 hooker.

Still made Swanson look like a chump who should be fighting in cage fighters. He didn't do shit and got owned like a $50 hooker.

Edgar is a worker and that's what he did. Worked for the takedowns and worked the gnp to accumulate damage over time. That's par for the course for Wreslter vs Non-Wrestler matchups. Edgar definitely is superior than other wrestlers in gnp but this kind of performance isn't outclassing on the level you're claiming it is. Especially when you take into account that Cub did so well on the feet that Frankie moved completely away from his patented standup game.

Razdek

Banned
Edgar is a worker and that's what he did. Worked for the takedowns and worked the gnp to accumulate damage over time. That's par for the course for Wreslter vs Non-Wrestler matchups. Edgar definitely is superior than other wrestlers in gnp but this kind of performance isn't outclassing on the level you're claiming it is. Especially when you take into account that Cub did so well on the feet that Frankie moved completely away from his patented standup game.

It doesn't really matter as Cub tapped out like a bitch and basically gave up in the end there. Couldn't even hold out for the 4 or so seconds to finish the round.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I got no sympy for these guys who can't stop a takedown or scramble back to their feet. Step your game up, playboys.

It doesn't really matter as Cub tapped out like a bitch and basically gave up in the end there. Couldn't even hold out for the 4 or so seconds to finish the round.

You're clearly a Frankie fan basking in the glory of his win, which is fine. I'm talking about this fight and Edgar in general from a neutral standpoint though. The guy is talented and a hard worker but he can't turn the corner on the guys who are just as talented but more athletic. That was his problem in LW and it's his problem in Feather. He's the worst kind of gatekeeper that there can be in the UFC. He wrecks guys championship runs but can't beat the champs.

Razdek

Banned
You're clearly a Frankie fan basking in the glory of his win, which is fine. I'm talking about this fight and Edgar in general from a neutral standpoint though. The guy is talented and a hard worker but he can't turn the corner on the guys who are just as talented but more athletic. That was his problem in LW and it's his problem in Feather. He's the worst kind of gatekeeper that there can be in the UFC. He wrecks guys championship runs but can't beat the champs.

Listen, if you can't beat a guy like Edgar then you don't deserve to get a title shot simple as that.Cub Swanson does not deserve a title shot. I'm not even a big Edgar fan but I'd rather see him and Aldo again rather than Aldo vs Swanson as that would be a blow out.

Listen, if you can't beat a guy like Edgar then you don't deserve to get a title shot simple as that.Cub Swanson does not deserve a title shot. I'm not even a big Edgar fan but I'd rather see him and Aldo again rather than Aldo vs Swanson as that would be a blow out.

You're kind of missing what I'm saying. A guy like Edgar will always be #1 or #2 in the division but he's not dynamic. His worth ethic ensures that he'll derail other fighters though. Fighters that, regardless of whether they're well rounded or not, would put on more exciting fights and could beat champs by virtue of their being dynamic and less predictable.

I'm always more excited for a Cerrone fight or a Swanson fight because you really don't know how things will go. Edgar though? Light punching combos in the standup, leading into takedowns/takedown attempts and more than likely, going to decision. That's not exciting.

bone_and_sinew

I guess I must have hallucinated that time Frankie beat the greatest 155er ever twice (ok the first one was a draw in my eyes but he owned BJ the second time) and defended his belt two more times.

We already saw Cub vs Aldo. This is what happened:

Jose-Aldo-vs-Cub-Swanson.jpg

Swanson_Also_cut-cagepotato_display_image.jpg

Frankie at least made it all 5 rounds against Aldo and even took a round from him. He is a much superior class of fighter than Cub. Yeah Cub is an entertaining scrapper but he's got limitations as a fighter that he will never overcome and Frankie is in a whole different class from him. And I like Frankie's chances in a rematch against this slower, gassier, heavier, less explosive version of Aldo. Dynamic means jack shit if you have easily exploitable flaws in your game like Cub and Cowboy.

Speaking of dynamic, not sure what to make of The Flash. I'm still waiting for it to stop being formulaic, outside of the train set piece in episode 3 or so. Constantine is much more enjoyable and Gotham has much more interesting characters.

bone_and_sinew

For all the crap Brock gets, at least he was an NCAA D-1 wrestling national champ and runner-up the year before. What the hell fighting credentials does Sheamus have? He'd get destroyed in seconds by Conor regardless of the size difference. These PG-era WWE bums have not paid any attention to the history of MMA.

In a fight? Size matters. Sheamus may be a fake fighter but he's literally like twice Conor's size.

bone_and_sinew

In a fight? Size matters. Sheamus may be a fake fighter but he's literally like twice Conor's size.
Cooter pls, we've been at this for too long to advocate troll. Size only matters if skills are in the same ballpark. Sheamus' fighting experience is being a bouncer. Conor is a world class fighter. It would be Roger Huerta vs Rashad Bobino type of ass whooping and you know it.

Just watched the main events.

Frankie absolutely dominated Cub. I was surprised it was so lopsided. I think Edgar should fight Mendes next. I don't think either of those two should be near the title right now. If Conner wins his next fight, give him the title shot. The UFC needs hype right now and something to stand out in this ever expanding deluge of cards.

Bobby Green literally didn't do anything as Barboso sticked and moved in and out while striking.

Excited for the next PPV. It feels like forever since we've seen Lawler, Hendrix, Pettis and Melendez.

And Sheamus/Conor. Sheamus does have 100 pounds on the dude. Obviously Conner is a professional fighter and would probably pick him apart standing. But if Sheamus got his hands on McGregor, I'd be concerned.

Lazyslob

Banned

ive always wanted to ask you but is the dude in your avatar a midget?

And Sheamus/Conor. Sheamus does have 100 pounds on the dude. Obviously Conner is a professional fighter and would probably pick him apart standing. But if Sheamus got his hands on McGregor, I'd be concerned.

and if he got his hands on him what is sheamus going to do? piledrive him? dude probably is strong from steroids other than that has no idea how to fight

I remember another big-mouth fighter who took on a wrestler in the 70s.

Sheamus is close to 300 pounds. Despite how fake it is, moves/techniques like the body slam, DDT, power bomb, suplex, head lock, camel clutch, figure four, wrist lock, etc do actually hurt.

We got that Connor has great foot work, knows how to strike but all of that crumbles in a street fight. Sheamus is an ex bouncer, so he probably got into a scrap or two. Again, no one is saying Connor wouldn't knock him out, embarrass him but let's not act like it's some one sided thing.

Got Smash Brothers and I have no clue on how to play this game. I suck ass at this. I don't see why people think its so deep when every fighter has about 2 moves and the controls are slippery as fuk. I can't even see whats going on

Also Shaemus would dominate Connor in a real fight. Hes like 6'5 300lbs. At some point size does matter. If you asked me if Sheamus can kick Bispings ass than i'd laugh in your face

bone_and_sinew

Holy hell I downed an entire bottle of Black Label while watching the DC shows. I'm not even in my drinking prime anymore.
#ilovescotch

It's so obvious that wheelchair dude in Flash is Reverse-Flash and he killed Barry's Mom "for the greater good". Just a theory from me, not a spoiler btw. All of this can be deduced from the the first episode.

ive always wanted to ask you but is the dude in your avatar a midget?
Nope, it's NBA baller/real muthafucking g Nick Van Exel

383113.jpg

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Conor would two piece that ginger fool into the emergency room with the quickness. Since when do fights start with two dudes glued to each other?

Conor would two piece that ginger fool into the emergency room with the quickness. Since when do fights start with two dudes glued to each other?

Conor is the size of Harvey Whippleman. Unless he decides to run away I don't see how Sheamus doesn't eventually get a hold of him and then, to quote our friend Goldy, "it is all over!"

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
This hypothetical Irish-on-Irish violence is quite something really. Now all they need to do is find an Englishman to blame for starting it.

Top Bottom