• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

Sloppy shots all around from Hendricks. He didnt do anything with the clinch. Robbies only fault was coasting during mid rounds but he wanted it more I feel. Every time Robbie did something it left more of a impression.

Pettis showed a big hole last night despite winning.

Guru-Guru

Banned
I hope Khabib gets the next shot at Pettis. I think he will pose more of a threat than Melendez did. I also hope that match happens in 2015...

ValfarHL

Pettis showed a big hole last night despite winning.

What hole was that?

For the peeps yelling robbery, read this bit from mma:
I just rewatched the fight without commentary. Heres my thoughts from each round.. Sorry its a little scattered.

Round 1; 10-9 Lawler

Lawler opens the fight going after Hendricks landing hard shots to the head and the body. After some clinch fighting in the center of the octogon Hendricks eventually gets robbie up against the fence and he fights hard for a takedown for the next couple minutes. Eventually Lawler manages to circle off the fence. Hendricks starts landing decent leg kicks and then pushes lawler up against the fence getting the takedown. Hendricks holds position to finish the round.

Round 2; 10-9 Hendricks But this isn’t insane to give it to Lawler.

Lawler blocked everything aside kicks, mostly to the leg. Hendricks landed some knees to the thigh against the fence; but mostly just held on. He got the takedown after fighting hard for it, but was unable to do much of anything but hold position. Lawler eventually got to his feet and was scoring late before slipping which saw Hendricks finish the round on top with going for a guillotine (not close at all).

Round 3; 10-9 Hendricks
Lawler slowed down considerably in this round. While Hendricks was more active; Lawler was defending well with Hendricks really only landing leg kicks. Hendricks scored 2 takedowns in this round, but again did nothing with them with lawler eventually working back to his feet.

Round 4; 10-9 Lawler

Lawler came awake in this round, taking the fight to Hendricks. Hendricks responds by pressing him to the fence, but this sees Lawler landing short shots and Hendricks just holding on. After seperating Lawler takes the fight to Hendricks backing him up. Eventually Hendricks shoots scoring a takedown, but again does nothing with it and we see Lawler again fighting his way to his feet and continuing to back up Hendricks. Hendricks response by pressing Lawler up against the fence, but the round finishes with Lawler on top raining strikes down on Hendricks.

Round 5; 10-9 Lawler

Lawler comes out hard. Hendricks shoots a few times but is stuffed. Eventually Hendricks presses Lawler to the fence. Again, not much action and the ref restarts the fight. Lawler again pouring it on with Hendricks backing up. Both guys exchanging both landing decent strikes. Hendricks drops for a takedown again pressing Lawler against the fence. With no action, the ref calls a break. Hendricks immediately presses Lawler to the fence. Again, Hendricks is just holding on. Lawler starts landing hard shots with Hendricks attached to his legs. Lawler starts throwing with desperation, landing hard shots to the head and then body forcing Hendricks to let go. Lawler stand up, and Hendricks is backpedaling obviously hurt. Lawler chases Hendricks throwing with everything he has left.

Scorecards:

lawlerscorecard.0.0.JPG

danthefan

So I don't have much interest in UFC but I'm Irish and so is Conor McGregor so we hear lots about him, how should this fight against Siver go in January? Is Siver any good? I watched McGregor's last fight, didn't really know what to make of it, the guy seemed to go down easily enough.

Guru-Guru

Banned
So I don't have much interest in UFC but I'm Irish and so is Conor McGregor so we hear lots about him, how should this fight against Siver go in January? Is Siver any good? I watched McGregor's last fight, didn't really know what to make of it, the guy seemed to go down easily enough.
He will likely KO Siver, probably pretty fast too. The consensus is that McGregor's potential weakness is his wrestling (though to be fair, we haven't seen much of it, which makes it hard to judge). Siver isn't a good wrestler, and is definitely inferior to McGregor when it comes to striking. There are a number of very strong wrestlers in the 145 division, but Dana wants that Irish money and is giving McGregor the best potential matchups to get him a title shot. Should be a fun match anyway though.

danthefan

He will likely KO Siver, probably pretty fast too. The consensus is that McGregor's potential weakness is his wrestling (though to be fair, we haven't seen much of it, which makes it hard to judge). Siver isn't a good wrestler, and is definitely inferior to McGregor when it comes to striking. There are a number of very strong wrestlers in the 145 division, but Dana wants that Irish money and is giving McGregor the best potential matchups to get him a title shot. Should be a fun match anyway though.

If they had an event in Dublin with McGregor headlining they'd sell 50k tickets no problem I reckon, if they hosted it in an outdoor stadium. Not sure about PPV though, I'd say that generates quite a lot for the UFC too.

I was wondering if the guys he was fighting were a bit soft but the last guy was ranked well above him as far as I know? Anyway let the bandwagon keep rolling as far as I'm concerned, though I understand the top fighters in that division are really good?

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I was wondering if the guys he was fighting were a bit soft but the last guy was ranked well above him as far as I know?

The general feeling from a lot of MMA fans is that he's being shielded from legit contenders developed into a marketable star as there's very few of them in the UFC now that Brock, GSP and Sonnen are all gone.

The main complaint most guys have about McGregor's fights in the UFC is that he's yet to face a wrestler. Guys from the British Isles aren't exactly known for their prowess in that department and a lot of people think that McGregor would be dominated easily by guys like Edgar or Mendes.

Anyway let the bandwagon keep rolling as far as I'm concerned, though I understand the top fighters in that division are really good?

The champion, Jose Aldo, is a legit killer.
Most recent contender, Chad Mendes, is a great wrestler who has developed a good set of hands.

Other top guys include:
Frankie Edgar, a former champion in another weightclass who is just relentless and constantly pushes the pace.
Ricardo Lamas, a decent-enough fighter. Has fought for the title and just looked lost at sea against Aldo though.

industrian

GSP would have actually got the takedowns and hit Robbie on the ground or at least worked. Johny is horrible when he grinds.

GSP would have taken them down or jabbed them to death. There's no ifs, buts or maybes there.

He may look at the clock when he's got the mount, but he isn't putting his head between someone's legs while up against the cage in order to blatantly stall the action.

GSP would have actually got the takedowns and hit Robbie on the ground or at least worked. Johny is horrible when he grinds.

That was definitely a controversial split decision, mainly because of the last ref's 49-46 call.

I'd agree. Hendricks was just grabbing the leg and pushing against the cage. It's control but not really the same way GSP would take you down a dozen plus times and GnP.

Lawler looked extremely tentative from the second round until probably 2 minutes left in the fourth.

He needs to throw more low kicks. He threw mid and high but it probably would've helped in point fighting.

I think Welterweight has been wide open since GSP was getting called by the mothership.
Robbie can be exciting to watch but Hendricks and McDonald...ugh. Robbie better not be tentative with McDonald.

What's up mma gaf! From 08-12 I was an avid watcher of anything mma related, but I fell out due to the abundance of events and it was hard for me to catch up w/ everything. Recently I subscribed to Fight Pass and wanted to get a good primer of some dope fights that happened in the last two years. I've just finished watching Benson Pettis and Hunt v Nelson & Hunt v Werdum. Any individual fights or cards that are a much watch?

Guru-Guru

Banned
What's up mma gaf! From 08-12 I was an avid watcher of anything mma related, but I fell out due to the abundance of events and it was hard for me to catch up w/ everything. Recently I subscribed to Fight Pass and wanted to get a good primer of some dope fights that happened in the last two years. I've just finished watching Benson Pettis and Hunt v Nelson & Hunt v Werdum. Any individual fights or cards that are a much watch?
-Rousey vs Tate II, Rousey vs Carmouche (not super competitive, but good to watch if you want to see what the big deal about Rousey is). Tate vs Zingano is also pretty solid.

-Jones vs Alex Gustaffson (really close fight)

- Jose Aldo vs Chad Mendes II (was a war)

-Chris Weidman vs Anderson Silva (not actually a great fight, but worth watching to see Silva get dethroned)

-Mark Hunt vs Antonio Silva (one of the most brutal fights I remember ever watching)

-Chris Weidman vs Lyoto Machida

-Matt Brown vs Erick Silva

There are a lot more, that is just off the top of my head.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
It warms my heart that Hendricks lost. Fuck that mother fucker.

So is the UFC off life support and able to breathe on their own after this weekend?

They do have legit draw with CM Punk now. There's going to be so much attention around his first fight, Uncle Dana is probably salivating.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
not quite
According to PWInsider.com, Bellator MMA is interested in bringing in pro wrestlers to add to their roster. The company recently did a “relaunch” of their product that features more pro wrestling inspired dialogue, with more drama than your standard Mixed Martial Arts show.

The idea is to bring in wrestlers, who are used to cutting promos and being in front of a camera, and create a hybrid of potentially scripted drama and “storylines” that would end in a real MMA fight. Former TNA World Champion Bobby Lashley is currently on the Bellator roster, as well as King Mo, who has done work for TNA and expressed multiple times that he is a major fan of pro wrestling.

One big name being discussed is Alberto del Rio, who has a 9-5 professional MMA record, and fought for various promotions prior to signing with WWE. No formal conversations have taken place, and its unknown if the former World Champion would even consider leaving wrestling for real fighting, especially now that he’s a relatively in-demand talent on the lucha scene.

Bellator officials have stated multiple times that they want to go after Brock Lesnar once his WWE deal expires in 2015. Of course, this news comes after CM Punk made major headlines signing a multi-fight deal with UFC.

VoxPop

I'm sure he'll get more PPV buys than all the other champions combined minus Ronda who is pretty much a spectacle herself.

VoxPop

I wonder what kind of contract he got.

Brock got paid 400K + PPV revenue per fight during his UFC stint

I'm guessing in the 150K - 300K range + PPV revenue.

VoxPop

Its nice seeing Robbie make his Cinderella run back to the top. Lawler looked like a glorified journeyman during his 185 stint but has been exceptional at 170. An upcoming rematch with Rory MacDonald is pretty interesting as I don't see it going exactly like their first fight. It's also a whole different fight at 5 rounds. Rory winning that fight would probably ensure that GSP never returns to the UFC or at least at 170.

A Nick Diaz rematch is also very interesting for Lawler. Their first fight ended in a spectacular KO win for Diaz and I'm sure the rematch would have some surefire fireworks. It's Robbie's only big money fight imo but it probably can only happen if Diaz gets past Anderson Silva next month but thats a tall task.

The welterweight division is in a nice place now with a great slew of contenders like Lombard, Woodley and Condit still as the cusp. Hendricks should probably be matched up with someone like Matt Brown who will most definitely bring the fight to him and we will get to see if Hendricks is still in that pussified state of mind. If Diaz loses to Anderson, Diaz vs Hendricks would make for a great co-main or the headline of a FOX card.

Pettis' fight with Melendez was pretty electric. Great fun scrap all around. Pettis escaping Melendez's grinding style and being the first fighter to finish him was pretty exciting. Melendez is in a tough place now as he has lost both his title bids at 155. Him making a drop down to 145 seems like the most logical step in his career. As for Pettis, he looked just as good as he always has coming off his long layoff. Hopefully he can avoid any injuries and gets a nice run going. Which will be tough with Khabib Nurmagomedov right around the corner. Khabib is absolutely relentless and actually a pretty good personality. He carries an undefeated 22-0 record (6-0 UFC) but only has one real big win in the Octagon. But that win comes with great merit as he absolutely demolished fellow top contender Rafael Dos Anjos a few months ago.

Rafael has now beat Cerrone and Benson but has to wait his turn due to Khabib. He has an upcoming fight with Nate Diaz this Saturday on what seems to be a great stacked FOX card. Junior Dos Santos makes his long awaited return after getting nearly beaten into depression by Cain for the second time over a year ago. Miocic on the other hand is coming off beating 205 lbs freakshow Fabio Maldonado who served as a late replacement for their originally scheduled bout. Stipe has some good hands and is actually a great wrestler as well. He would probably be more heavily touted if he didn't get TKO'd by Stefan Struve of all people. Who is also fighting on this card.

Overeem gets the safest fight of his career (can we really say safe with Overeem?) in Stefan Struve in his next bout. Struve is coming off getting his jaw broken in half by Mark Hunt over a year ago (lol) and having a stroke or whatnot during his warmups in the locker room in a scheduled fight with Matt Mitrione not too long ago. Overeem on the other hand is coming off getting blasted by journeyman Ben Rothwell. Overeem has had an extremely disappointing UFC run and this fight could very well be his last if he loses. Overeem in Bellator is an interesting nugget of an idea.

Mitrione vs Gonzaga, Gates vs Moraga and Bellator hand me downs Joe Riggs vs Ben Saunders highlight the rest of the card. We also get to see the UFC debut of Olympic gold medalist Kurt Angle Henry Cejudo who rides an undefeated 6 fight win streak into his fight. I was just writing my thoughts on current events and somehow turned into a shitty version of a Meltzer article.

industrian

I just wonder where Punk's fight will be on the card. Because surely he won't be headlining at this stage.

Ideally he would be the 3rd fight on the main card behind two title fights in order to both drive up PPV buys and to let the new audience (guys watching for Punk) see some high-level fights.

But this is the UFC we're talking about here. Punk's gonna be headlining a Fight Night event against Joe Soto's big brother, with the co-main being Smile'n Sam Alvey vs. Angel DeAnda or some shit.

Top Bottom