• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

Dysun

This sport would be deader than dead if the other fools had stayed in business and the UFC never taken off. Not against Dana and co getting some comeuppance, but those organizations folded for plenty of reasons

Bottom line? Im not gonna listen to Schaub talking 1 hour about this...

Main info in the first 10 min, but essentially nobody actually told the can they were going to shit all over him and his career, he was there to talk about the fight. He cried for 30 min when he arrived home.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Father Time has made a can out of Uncle Dana. He did well leading the sport out of the dark ages but he's led it into a new dark age. He's gotta go.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I wonder if some low level employee is trawling through Uncle Dana's twitter account and mass deleting things.

VoxPop

UFC 178 (Johnson-Cariaso, Cerrone-Alvarez, McGregor-Poirier): 205,000 buys
UFC 179 (Aldo vs. Mendes): 160,000-200,000 buys
UFC 180 (Werdum vs. Hunt): 185,000-200,000 buys
UFC 181 (Hendricks vs. Lawler, Pettis vs. Melendez): 380,000 (This is an early number and may change somewhat based on late reporting cable systems.)

Total Number of UFC PPV buys for:
2014: 3.2 million
2013: 6.1 million
2012: 5.8 million
2011: 6.6 million
2010: 8.8 million
2009: 8 million

This sport is officially dead

Dysun

They'll probably get close to 2014's number in the first three months of next year with DC/Jones, Silva/Diaz, and Weidman/Belfort

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Common sense would dictate Hendricks vs. Rory as a No. 1 contender fight. But I doubt the UFC know what those first two words mean.

Lazyslob

Banned
ugh im sick of the ufc and their fucking trilogies. no one wants to see hendricks and lawler fight again. well, except for this guy ^^. poor rory :'(

I hope Rory doesn't disappear like TJ Grant..........they seem to like taking title shots away from Canadians lately (I know TJ is injured)

VoxPop

Tito Ortiz made 300k last fight while Bonnar made 100k of his 100/100 payout. Robbie Lawler made 220K. Lolll

Damn Weidman made 450K (225/225) + PPV his last fight. I think that's the biggest contract in the UFC right now considering Weidman draws semi decently. That Anderson Silva money.

That Hendricks/Lawler 3 has got to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Even Lawler/Diaz (coming off a loss), Lawler/Lombard or Lawler/Brown 2 are better ideas.

I'm all for poopin in the UFC's cheerios but c'mon, Hendricks/Lawler I and II have been awesome so far (and very close) and you can't break it up just to see Rory get his weird face smashed in again.
I'm all for a rubber match as long as Hendricks dumps Dolce and fights like he used to.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah seriously though, people are tripping because Rory doesn't get a shot at Lawler? He got f*cked up
I don't think it's so much about Rory for most as it is about not having an immediate rubber match. Let it simmer for a while, see if Lawler can defend the title and let Hendricks get a few wins/KOs. Currently, my Robbie Lawler rematch hype rankings look something like this:

Diaz
Manhoef
MacDonald
Hendricks
Brown
Kennedy

thefro

UFC 178 (Johnson-Cariaso, Cerrone-Alvarez, McGregor-Poirier): 205,000 buys
UFC 179 (Aldo vs. Mendes): 160,000-200,000 buys
UFC 180 (Werdum vs. Hunt): 185,000-200,000 buys
UFC 181 (Hendricks vs. Lawler, Pettis vs. Melendez): 380,000 (This is an early number and may change somewhat based on late reporting cable systems.)

Total Number of UFC PPV buys for:
2014: 3.2 million
2013: 6.1 million
2012: 5.8 million
2011: 6.6 million
2010: 8.8 million
2009: 8 million

This sport is officially dead

I added up the other numbers from Wikipedia

2008: 6.3 million
2007: 5.1 million
2006: 5.3 million (helped by freak show fights like Royce v.s. Hughes & Tito v.s. Shamrock)
2005: 1.9 million (A few PPVs after TUF started in this year)
2004: LOL so low

Basically CM Punk needs to fight and The Ultimate Fighter needs to be completely retooled and air after Monday Night Raw again to get the John Cena kiddies hooked on the Ultimate.

VoxPop

For all we know GSP is going to announce his immediate comeback and will 50-45 Robbie.

I totally forgot that there is a realistic chance that GSP returns now that Hendricks isn't at the top.

thefro said:
I added up the other numbers from Wikipedia

2008: 6.3 million
2007: 5.1 million
2006: 5.3 million (helped by freak show fights like Royce v.s. Hughes & Tito v.s. Shamrock)
2005: 1.9 million (A few PPVs after TUF started in this year)
2004: LOL so low

Basically CM Punk needs to fight and The Ultimate Fighter needs to be completely retooled and air after Monday Night Raw again to get the John Cena kiddies hooked on the Ultimate.

John Cena fans can't stay up past 11 though. They gotta air TUF on Saturday mornings.

Cody McKenzie Retires

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...retires-from-mma-cites-poor-pay-and-treatment

In the interview he shits all over the UFC and Dana.

Like I said, $50,000 a year is what I averaged, and that's before expenses. After expenses, I'm averaging about $10,000 a year. That's s--t money when you're traveling, you're on the road, you have to eat out.

I remember when they put me up at the MGM to fight Chad Mendes, I was broke as a joke. I had to jog six miles off the strip just to find a cheap place to eat. I couldn't eat anywhere on the strip because I didn't have any f-----g money, and I'm fighting the No. 2-ranked guy in the world. It's a f-----g joke.

There's plenty more in there too.

industrian

While we're on this subject:

AVgwmlm.jpg

industrian

But what about the famous locker room bonuses? Everyone is making 2-3x what's reported, right?!

McKenzie said he averaged $50k a year.

According to Wikipedia his disclosed earnings per fight were $10,000-16,000. In the UFC he fought twice a year.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Random off topic thoughts:

I.fucking.hate. work Christmas parties. Every fucking time I go to one, regardless of my profession, I get my heart broken. I could be a fucking doctor, oil billionaire, or Brad Pitt and still get my heart ripped out. I'm tapping to strikes, I will never go to another one for the rest of my life. It's my personal Sonic Cycle. I don't even fucking celebrate Christmas and I always end up miserable at the end of these fucking things. No mas.

Playing Bayonetta 2 on molly sure is something else. I took one before getting ready for work the other night, had some extra time to kill, figured "why not do a chapter or two". I felt like I was in The Matrix.

I would laugh at Jay Cutler being benched but I'm still reeling from the Dolphins' season being ended in New England and possibly the Heat's ending these past few days.

On topic: why the hell is CB Dolloway main eventing a Brazil card? Oh well, Machida wants Jacare next once he's done with CB and that's an enticing match-up.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
#1 option Luol Deng isn't working out for you?

McKenzie said he averaged $50k a year.

According to Wikipedia his disclosed earnings per fight were $10,000-16,000. In the UFC he fought twice a year.

He had a 30k Sub of the Night bonus in 2010 and a 30k Fight of the Night bonus in 2011 and up until his last year in 2013 still had sponsor dollars coming in. 50k a year average from fighting sounds about right.

Wasnt Ultimate paying Sherk 17k when he was champ? Hell wasnt Barao being paid peanuts when he was champ?
No one ever said, hey let's watch the UFC cuz the Muscle Shark is fighting, any more than anyone knows who Cody is. This was pre-rape conviction so I was rooting pretty hard for Hermes.

UFC 64 Fighter Salaries
Event took place on October 14, 2006 and aired on pay-per-view

Title Match & Main Event Fighters
-Anderson Silva: $50,000 (defeated Rich Franklin)
-Sean Sherk: $22,000 (defeated Kenny Florian)
-Rich Franklin: $21,000 (lost to Anderson Silva)
-Kenny Florian: $8,000 (lost to Sean Sherk)

Main Card Fighters
-Cheick Kongo: $20,000 (lost to Carmelo Marrero)
-Spencer Fisher: $20,000 (defeated Dan Lauzon)
-Jon Fitch: $20,000 (defeated Kuniyoshi Hironaka)
-Kuniyoshi Hironaka: $6,000 (lost to Jon Fitch)
-Carmelo Marrero: $6,000 (defeated Cheick Kongo)
-Dan Lauzon: $3,000 (lost to Spencer Fisher)

Preliminary Match Fighters
-Yushin Okami: $12,000 (defeated Kalib Starnes)
-Clay Guida: $6,000 (defeated Justin James)
-Kalib Starnes: $5,000 (lost to Yushin Okami)
-Kurt Pellegrino: $4,000 (defeated Junior Assuncao)
-Junior Assuncao: $3,000 (lost to Kurt Pellegrino)
-Justin James: $3,000 (lost to Clay Guida)
Disclosed Fighter Payroll for UFC 64: $209,000

UFC 73
Anderson Silva – $90,000 ($45,000 + $45,000 win bonus) def. Nate Marquardt – $24,000
Sean Sherk – $28,000 ($14,000 + $14,000 win bonus) def. Hermes Franca – $14,000
Tito Ortiz – $210,000 draw with Rashad Evans – $16,000
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira – $200,000 ($100,000 + $100,000 win bonus) def. Heath Herring – $70,000
Kenny Florian – $16,000 ($8,000 + $8,000 win bonus) def. Alvin Robinson – $3,000
Stephan Bonnar – $32,000 ($16,000 + $16,000 win bonus) def. Mike Nickels – $5,000
Chris Lytle – $20,000 ($10,000 + $10,000 win bonus) def. Jason Gilliam – $3,000
Jorge Gurgel – $14,000 ($7,000 + $7,000 win bonus) def. Diego Saraiva – $3,000
Frank Edgar – $10,000 ($5,000 + $5,000 win bonus) def. Mark Bocek – $3,000

If you were after top dollars, wouldn't it be GSP or Brock Lesnar money? Those were like the biggest draws in the past 10 years besides Tito, Coutore, etc.

Top Bottom