• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

dream

Man, if Bellator MMA beat the Ultimate head to head with Tito vs Bonnar, imagine what they could do if they had Brock, Freddy, and Alberto El Patron on their roster.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
https://twitter.com/JonnyBones/status/549303090336120833

"I love attacking people at their own strengths. Let's embrace the grind DC"
12:37 PM - 28 Dec 2014

Wouldn't be surprised at all if JJ outwrestles and ragdolls DC. He's that talented. Imagine this picture without security...

mma_ufc-jones-cormier_brawl-1.jpg

Safe to say this fight will be decided in round 1. If DC can't take him down, Jones will win easily.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
https://twitter.com/JonnyBones/status/549303090336120833

"I love attacking people at their own strengths. Let's embrace the grind DC"
12:37 PM - 28 Dec 2014

Wouldn't be surprised at all if JJ outwrestles and ragdolls DC. He's that talented. Imagine this picture without security...

mma_ufc-jones-cormier_brawl-1.jpg

Safe to say this fight will be decided in round 1. If DC can't take him down, Jones will win easily.

You wouldn't be surprised if a guy who couldn't take down a dead tired Gus could take down a guy that ragdolled Josh Barnett like he was a pillow? IF DC can't take him down? Youre a funny guy. Here's what shouldn't surprise you. To see Bones be thrown over the cage wall like a lawn dart, because he has as much of a shot at outwrestling DC as I do beating Usain Bolt in a foot race.

I don't know if Jones will have the strength to ragdoll DC like he did with Bonnar but I can definitely see DC having the strength to force the takedown on Jones even if Jones has great TDD. Remember that while Jones should probably be a natural HW, DC actually fought at HW and handled everybody he faced there. I would assume there'd be noticeable strength difference.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Jones via fuckery (eyepokes, knee kicks, spinning shit). Certainly rooting for DC though. There hasn't been a real shake up in the MMA standings since Weidman put the beats on Canderson.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Jones isn't especially strong. Bader and Bonnar would have been stronger than him when they fought him, but he still threw them around. His problem in this fight is that DC isn't just stronger than him, he's also a better wrestler with an excellent pressure game who's used to dealing with taller/larger opponents. I don't think Jones will be able to keep him at range consistently; I reckon the fight will hinge on Jones' ability to use elbows, guillotines and his own wrestling in close to negate Cormier's pressure.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I see Jones winning by a TKO caused by injury. Probably from an eyepoke or other serpentine maneuver. I don't think that DC has ever been taken down so that should be the minimal "trophy" that Jones aims for (I think Gus was the first one to take down Jones IIRC.)

I hope DC wins though.

iddqd

Man, I think DC is so sympatico, I have money and beer bets on him winning but I still think deep down in my little heart that Jones gets him via reach and overall trickery advantage.

DC has to do the craziest sprints for 5 rounds in order to win this one (sprinting to Jones and then the cage that is).
Jones just has to land that one weird elbow and then call it a day.

But hey, that Cormier interview someone posted, gotta love his hole "bring Jones back to the rest of us" line.

Agreed with everyone. I'd like to see DC win; however, until someone actually does it, you'd have to go with Jones. He's just been incredible in the LHW division. No one can see he's been beating cans (besides Sonnen and Rampage).

DC is definitely going to need to close the distance and out wrestle/GNP Jones.

D.C has never lost a round, and he's as used to being the smaller guy as Jones is at being the bigger guy.

John Jones can feasibly pick apart D.C with his range, which I think it's the right way to go about it. His game will be to use his 2 lines of separation for the 1st two rounds. Kick D.C, jab him, elbow him, essentially do what he has done to almost everybody. He wants to put D.C in a state of perpetuate doubt, and then in the 3rd round go for the takedown.

D.C however strikes me as a patient and intelligent guy who is very much aware of everything going on in a fight, down to where he's at in a round. I think he will want to pace himself. He can throw bones off with his speed and power, and I think clinching him against the cage will be the way to go at some point in the fight. It's where he will manage to frustrate the big man, and put him on his ass. D.C wrestling isn't impressive just because he can throw an heavyweight over the ceiling, but his top control is pitch perfect. And that's where I think D.C is going to break Bones.

I do want D.C to win, but it could go either way. I won't be shocked if either of them makes the other look like a can.

What I'm really wondering is whether or not we'll see DC utilize some of Cain's playbook of the bum rush into the fence since he's got the speed and strength for it.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I just noticed that they've just stopped doing UFC Primetime shows, probably because nobody gives a shit anymore.

Heel

Ben Askren ‏@Benaskren
Hey @dc_mma you know whats worse than 4th at the Olympics? 3rd to Matt Riddle at the state tourney! @JonnyBones

B6ClloBIMAAR2As.jpg

sesame-street-l-o.gif

Vio-Lence

Banned
Been on vacation for the past 10 days, feel completely worthless slumming around the house. Don't have to return to work until 1/5/2015. How the fuck will I manage that.

Have caught up on some movies, TV shows, and got sucked into the HD Wire marathon. Good Times.

Grand Budapest Hotel and Ida both real good 2014 films. Would like to watch Gone Girl and a few others.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
In other news MMA-Bros, I recently applied for a working holiday visa to go to Australia. I need to get a chest x-ray for some reason and the only Australian-Government-Approved clinic to do so is closed until the 5 January. I hope to fuck there's not a deadline for applications...

I'm excited to go to Australia. Considering that I'm already remotely-working for the company I worked for in Taiwan, I'll have a steady cashflow and can just work on a farm or some shit while I'm over there. That and drink watery beer and try my best not to get 30-26'd by spiders n' shit.

What's that like? Can you feel it coming like 'oh no its gonna happen - I'm gonna pass out' or is it over before it starts?

It's not bad. When I've been put to sleep I didn't see it coming. I can normally time it out and figure out how long I have. I start working out of it. The times I've been put out I did't have time for any of that. I think to myself alright there"s the choke and start thinking defense then I wake up.

I'm going with DC this weekend. He'll for sure out wrestle JJ, but I think he grinds him down and finishes him standing in a later round, or knocks him down standing then finishes with a tko.

I'm feeling optimistic after picking Lawler to pull out the win. 2014 is ending on a high note. Let's keep it going for 2015.

iddqd

It's not bad. When I've been put to sleep I didn't see it coming. I can normally time it out and figure out how long I have. I start working out of it. The times I've been put out I did't have time for any of that. I think to myself alright there"s the choke and start thinking defense then I wake up.

Same thing happend to me, someone got me in a Ezekiel choke and I remember thinking "This is ok, no problem.. I can escape this.."
Then I remember talking to my parents
And then I wake up with my Teacher shaking my feet talking to me.
Took me a good couple of seconds to gather my brain.

Speaking of fun stuff:
FOXCATCHER is an OK book and and interesting film with SOME slight ties to the UFC seeing that Mark Schultz fought there once.

The representation in the film could be seen as harsh but its also the "old" UFC were it was a bit closer to the Thunderdome then to todays sports entertainment.

There's a "tough guy" at my gym who doesn't tap to blood chokes. I baseball bat choked him from underneath, took only 3 seconds after I got both grips. He immediately starts snoring then shaking. I flipped him on his back and raised his legs and he gave the same excuse. Said he was breathing fine and didn't think he was in danger. He said his brain was awake but he couldn't move his body. He also said he felt the shakes and they were from his brain trying to fire and reset his body. This was his 3rd time going to sleep. Dude has a wife and kid so I felt bad and had a talk with him. Basically told him that he's trained long enough to already know when he's in a bad position and that he's gotta be smarter than his own ego.

iddqd

There's a "tough guy" at my gym who doesn't tap to blood chokes. I baseball bat choked him from underneath, took only 3 seconds after I got both grips. He immediately starts snoring then shaking. I flipped him on his back and raised his legs and he gave the same excuse. Said he was breathing fine and didn't think he was in danger. He said his brain was awake but he couldn't move his body. He also said he felt the shakes and they were from his brain trying to fire and reset his body. This was his 3rd time going to sleep. Dude has a wife and kid so I felt bad and had a talk with him. Basically told him that he's trained long enough to already know when he's in a bad position and that he's gotta be smarter than his own ego.

You are doing the right thing.
Three times is two too many if you are not below 20 or get paid in front of a camera for it.
My case was not a case of the bad-ass, more a case of the brainfart.
It was worse because I taught the guy how to pull of the move so I was EXTRA confident that I could deal with it.

That's what got me. I think that choke in particular is easier to take somebody out with. It's a deep choke. 3 seconds is real quick to go out.

But yeah tough guy gonna tough guy.

If he dies, he dies.

Top Bottom