• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

MjFrancis

Im confused. Youre blaming the guy who put on a jitz clinic and almost ko'd the other guy for the lack of activity? Maybe Cowboy should learn to throw sonic booms then?
Cerrone usually throws Sonic Booms, right?

Seriously he did great but the Cowboy standard is a FOTN. He's a top notch fighter who has always been one fight short of a title shot. Jury ran and got his ass kicked. Cowboy did outstanding in the first, got in a few more good hits in the next rounds and Jury was perfectly content to lose the fight apparently.

---

And now he's fighting Benson Henderson for a third time just two weeks after this fight. Budo fighter who is only now getting the respect he deserves.

You gotta give Cerrone a lot of respect for this. He could have easily sat back and relaxed knowing that he's probably next after Dos Anjos, but he's putting himself in great danger by fighting Bendo this quickly.

If he wins, then he's next after Dos Anjos for sure.

If he loses, then Bendo vs. Nurmagomedov for No. 1 contender.

Yup. Bendo is on a skid but he's still got an ugly style that can make guys look bad. This is no sure thing for Cowboy by any means.

MjFrancis

You know who this card needed? Leonard Garcia and Nam Phan.
Those names bring me back.

I'm actually surprised to see Nam Pham is still fighting. Lost by KO in 46 seconds just a few weeks ago.

Leonard Garcia just retired last November, too - immediately after being sub'd in round 1 of a fight.

WTF at Alvarez. I was really hoping to see him redeem himself. Odd that they didn't mention if Alvarez pulled out due to injury. Maybe Alvarez and UFC mutually parted ways? The Reebok deal, a disappointing loss against Cowboy, maybe Scott Coker bought his contract from the UFC? Hmmmmm

VoxPop

Great fight. Never watched their previous fights, might give it a run later. Hopefully Cerrone has improved just enough to eek out a split decision or hell even send Bendo to 7th heaven with a nice head kick. What a badass taking another fight in 2 weeks. Totally feel like a turd betting on Myles Jury this past weekend.

Who's next for Bones after he schools Gus and Rumble? Cormier rematch?

Would really love a superfight with him and Cain or even a last ditch retirement fight with Anderson.

Weidman has said too he can move up a division. Jones vs Weidman? How tall is Weidman?

Jesus, make it a catch weight so no one losses their mojo in their respective division when one loses. Just give the fans this fight and everyone gets paid.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

industrian

Weidman has said too he can move up a division. Jones vs Weidman? How tall is Weidman?

Jesus, make it a catch weight so no one losses their mojo in their respective division when one loses. Just give the fans this fight and everyone gets paid.

Weidman is 6'2", and I think he could threaten Jones if given a full camp.

But at this point if a guy like Gus or Rumble fails, then all that's left is a guy like Cain or Werdum.

It would be hilarious if Werdum beat Cain for the HW title then Jones in a superfight. The dude could just retire then and there as the GOAT-killer.

Werdum is also old as fuck and only has 2-3 great fights left. He can actually retire now and would probably be a great ambassador for the UFC. Dude speaks like 4-5 languages and is very humble and likeable. He can probably partner with UFC Gyms (in Latin America) the same way BJ Penn is doing in Hawaii.

VoxPop

Bones would destroy Weidman imo. Weidman may have matched up well with Anderson due to his wrestling but that won't be the case with Bones. Not to mention the way thoses fights ended. He also seemed to a struggle a little bit with Machida. Bones did as well but ended up finishing him with ease in the 2nd round.

I feel Bones could probably beat Cain as well as he is just a slightly quicker but less powerful version of Cormier. I do see him having big problems with Werdum's size and grappling though. Jon also doesn't hit as hard as heavy handed LHWs / HWs and takes more of a Diaz style approach to breaking them down. Werdum would draw zero interest from anyone though so its moot and not exactly a superfight. But if Bones decided to fight them at their area of expertise like he has done with anyone else and somehow managed to sub Werdum, MMA fans heads would probably explode.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Yeah, as much as I love The Chris for proving me right and putting an end to Canderson, he has nothing for Jones.

Cerrone has lost to Dos Anjos, lost to Pettis, and lost to Bendo twice already. He wasn't going to get a shot at Pettis again without beating either Dos Anjos or Bendo.

I like Cerrone but he's faltered against the top guys in the division time and time again. His streak has been impressive but unlike Pettis leap frogging up for the shot against Bendo, he doesn't have a win against the top guys in the past to justify it. This is his shot before the shot and I don't know if he's got the skillset to beat Bendo.

Quick, without looking it up, name any fighter Cerrone beat in the last year, besides Jury (which we only remember cuz it just happened) and Alvares.

inZLxhs.gif

He is like JDS, a top tier and exciting gate keeper but he's not going to be UFC champ.

Quick, without looking it up, name any fighter Cerrone beat in the last year, besides Jury (which we only remember cuz it just happened) and Alvares.

inZLxhs.gif

He is like JDS, a top tier and exciting gate keeper but he's not going to be UFC champ.

Yup I love Cowboy but the losses to Nate and Pettis are too fresh in my mind to consider him more than a super exciting gate keeper. More mid-tier guys should take note though. Because of his attitude and the way he fights, win lose or draw Cerrone probably has a job for life with the UFC. Dude will always be getting a pay check. Other guys should be more realistic about their ceilings and follow his lead. Not everyone is going to be a champ.

Next

but JDS was champ... even if he's not champion material I'll root for him, dude fights a lot and that's something that's been getting on my nerves with other fighters.

Release week:

Issac Vallie-Flagg
Phil Harris
Fabricio Camoes
Garett Whiteley
Wagner Silva
Guto Inocente
Chris Heatherly
Ernest Chavez

How will UFC have 5 cards a month culling like this?

VoxPop

new champion right there

I understand he did a lot of damage to Bones during their fight but he clearly lost 2 rounds to 3 (possibly even 4 to 1) and was on the verge of getting finished in the 5th and couldn't even lift his arms to defend himself. Not sure where all that confidence comes from. I was laughing when he filled in half a spade on his tattoo symbolizing that he "should" have won. Hope Rumble smashes his face in although unlikely.

iddqd

Cowboy is fucking nuts. I already thought he was pushing his luck and now he going against a good wrestler. Does not help that Bendo already won twice against him.

Takedown, against the cage. Cowboy sad.

industrian

Tim Sylvia has retired.

I guess that weighing in at 370lbs was a clear enough message to anyone, but apparently it was due to an MRI scan showing lots of damage.

Sylvia was scheduled to face Juliano Coutinho at Reality Fighting on January 3, 2015, However Sylvia was denied medical clearance by the Mohegan Athletic Unit, and as a result the fight was cancelled. Sylvia weighed in at 371 pounds for the fight. When asked why the fight was cancelled Monte Cox, Sylvia’s manager, wrote on Facebook “Not 100 [percent] sure... because of his age he had to do a lot of meds at last minute,” Cox wrote. “In all he needed a stress test, MRI, EKG, eye, blood and physical.” Apparently all the tests ordered by the Mohegan commission have made a significant impact on Sylvia’s bank account, as he wrote on Cox’s Facebook thread that he is “[$2,000] in the hole because of all the [tests] I had to do.
If anyone is looking for an autographed PS4, watch his facebook.

MjFrancis

There aren't too many jobs out there where you have to fork out a few grand just to figure out you can't work after all. There's a joke about college education in there somewhere.

Sylvia made it way farther than he ever should have. If Miletich wasn't so desperate for a HW that he scouted the UFC audience for big guys, Timmay's life for the last 20 years would have consisted of mall security guard jobs and unemployment.

Next

I understand he did a lot of damage to Bones during their fight but he clearly lost 2 rounds to 3 (possibly even 4 to 1) and was on the verge of getting finished in the 5th and couldn't even lift his arms to defend himself. Not sure where all that confidence comes from. I was laughing when he filled in half a spade on his tattoo symbolizing that he "should" have won. Hope Rumble smashes his face in although unlikely.

I don't think it's as clear as that. Each time I watch it I think someone else won. To me that fight is a tie. Gus was gassed, but so was bones otherwise he would be able to get him down at will.

Plus, hype trains don't need to make sense ;)

Gus is playing with fire, if Rumble knocks his head clean then what?

Either way Gus has every right to feel like he can beat Jones because he sent him home on a stretcher.

industrian

There aren't too many jobs out there where you have to fork out a few grand just to figure out you can't work after all. There's a joke about college education in there somewhere.

I didn't pay any tuition fees, yet this still stings.

Sylvia made it way farther than he ever should have. If Miletich wasn't so desperate for a HW that he scouted the UFC audience for big guys, Timmay's life for the last 20 years would have consisted of mall security guard jobs and unemployment.

And hot dog eating contests. And mobility scooters.

Sylvia had a better run than 99% of fighters, but if he had fought in PRIDE then he'd barely be a blip on the radar. And if he had fought against Dan Cormier in Strikeforce he would have got annihilated.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Jon Jones enter rehab (COCAINE)

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-c...into-a-drug-treatment-facility-214520325.html

LAS VEGAS --In a stunning announcement coming only days after the end of the signature victory of his career, UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones announced Tuesday that he has entered a drug treatment facility.

Jones defeated Daniel Cormier Saturday in the main event of UFC 182 at the MGM Grand Garden in a five-round decision that left many considering him as the greatest mixed martial arts fighter of all-time.

But in a random drug test given to him on Dec. 4 by the Nevada Athletic Commission, Jones tested positive for benzoylecgonine, the main metabolite in cocaine.

Top Bottom