• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

DKehoe

@arielhelwani 29s

Bellator/Spike just announced they will hold a conference call at 5:30 pm ET (30 minutes from now). Stay tuned for updates.

It's sort of amazing how quickly Bellator became a clusterfuck.

VoxPop

lmao oh gosh tito

I say they should give him King Mo or Newton at the very least Newton/Vegh.

AV bet that Tito will be replaced by Matyushenko?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
lmao oh gosh tito

I say they should give him King Mo or Newton at the very least Newton/Vegh.

AV bet that Tito will be replaced by Matyushenko?

They couldn't put Vegh in the fight though. He's got that terrible temporal injury that occurred both in April and August that took him out of his fight already. There's no possible way he could be ready for next week with such a real and not imaginary injury that Bellator totally didn't make up to try and build a bigger card.

VoxPop

Rampage / shamrock in a lions den match on impact

I'd much rather have Kurt Angle come in for 1 night only. PPV buys would be through the roof. Take an insane amount of cash to take the beating or even better wrestlefuck Rampage to a victory. Take Bellator into the mainstream.

better yet

Fyodor @ 205

Heel

Seriously though, are they just trying to save face? They were going to lose their ass with this pay-per-view. I doubt they ever try again.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Are there any Russians on this card? I might watch it if they are.

There is a fighter who was born in the USSR. Does that count?

Seriously though, are they just trying to save face? They were going to lose their ass with this pay-per-view. I doubt they ever try again.

I'll have you know neck injuries are incredibly serious, and it's a little known fact that they are often caused by forty five second boxing training sessions with middle aged comedians.

Heel

Hear me out on this. Since Tito cut himself warming up backstage, uh I mean hurt his neck, they should bring in Seth "It's Rocky" Petruzelli to shock da whirl one more time.

Heel

@arielhelwani 11m
Rebney: Alvarez doesn't lose out on a PPV bonus based on this.

Ahahahaahahahahahaha I forgot all about this. Just wow.

Heel

2bCqfb3.png

Couldn't they do like ken vs randy or something? Id pay for that

Maurice Smith has a fight on November 2nd. Just saying.

http://www.sherdog.com/events/CWC-9-Cage-Warrior-Combat-9-32813

I feel so bad for this guy.

It's awful because if they did have a pay-per-view, Eddie would be proven right. He would not make anywhere near what he would on a UFC pay-per-view. Now that it's not on pay-per-view, Eddie is doubly right, but Viacom lawyers would have him on ice for years. Let the damn kid go.

So what's worse?

a) The conspiracy angle that Bellator knew the PPV buyrate numbers were tracking so low that they knew they couldnt sustain the cost of having Tito/Rampage on the card.

b) The reality angle that Bellator's roster is so terrible that an entire PPV hinges on a single man that has won 1 fight since 2006.

So what's worse?

a) The conspiracy angle that Bellator knew the PPV buyrate numbers were tracking so low that they knew they couldnt sustain the cost of having Tito/Rampage on the card.

b) The reality angle that Bellator's roster is so terrible that an entire PPV hinges on a single man that has won 1 fight since 2006.

c) the show that they created in order to hype up the fight and get people interested is geared around Rampage eating and generally not giving a fuck about getting into fight shape

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I don't really get the conspiracy idea. Sure, it's pathetic that they'd have to cancel a PPV because Tito Ortiz can't make the fight. But to get to the conspiracy theory first you need to say to yourself "I don't believe that Tito is hurt."

And I can't get behind the theory of any person so irrational as to think Tito Ortiz couldn't possibly have gotten injured.

Heel

Wake up, sheeple. This is an angle to give television ratings a shot in the arm. Tito claiming an injury would never be questioned. It's a master stroke of an angle, perhaps engineered by Dixie Carter. Not having to pay Eddie Alvarez the $14,000 he would've earned on his PPV percentage is just icing on the cake.

I am usually not one for conspiracies, but I would be lying if I didn't say this didn't smell like a complete set up from the jump. If you are Rampage and Tito and you have Bellator come to you and basically say "We will give you thousands of dollars to use your name and face to hype up our brand, you don't really have to get in shape or fight and at the last second we'll make up some fake injury and announce the card is now FREE(!)" I could easily see them both agreeing to it. In their eyes they probably figure the narrative will be "You are now getting this great card for free!" and be a net positive for their company.

Heel

Mighty Mo just sprawled, got top control, got a half crucifix and isolated a keylock for a submission win.

My mind just broke.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
That's weird. Normally Tito tells us about his injuries after the fight. And Dana will probably need another round of ear surgery for all the laughing he did.

That said, this is obviously either damage control for shitty projections on PPV sales or some sort of pre-arranged deal to build awareness for their brand.

Either way, it'll be interesting to see what drama unfolds next with Tito, Bjorn and Viacom.

So what's worse?

c) the show that they created in order to hype up the fight and get people interested is geared around Rampage eating and generally not giving a fuck about getting into fight shape

d) Viacom have started pulling the plug.

If it wasn't a Viacom decision to cancel the PPV I'll be really surprised. I wonder how long it'll take for them to fully realise that the $50 million they spend on Bellator would have been better spent if they had put it in a ditch and set it on fire.

Top Bottom