• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

zewone

I don't think he needs to. With his reach advantage, Nate should just pepper Conor all night long with jabs until Conor decides to shoot.

But scabro and I were talking about this earlier, and he thinks the only way Conor can win is by throwing leg kicks. And I think that might invite Nate to grab a single.
If Diaz is going to win it's not going to be with strikes. You can count on that.
Any sense or announcement of when Nick is fighting???

I heard this year after they overturned his dumb-as-fuck 5 year ban.

His new suspension is up later this year, so I'd guess sometime in the fall he'd have a fight.

Cool, McGregor can then fight Lawler at UFC 200 for the 170 strap.

Condit and Woodley can get their rematch with each other. Wonderboy can fight Rory.

Both Edgar and Dos Anjos can sit and wait.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Conor fighting at 170 lbs when he's the champ at 145.

UFC out-freakshowing Bellator.
Honestly, it will be nice seeing McGregor fighting at around his walking weight, rather than looking like he's dying during fight week due to the cut.

I'm actually more excited to see this fight than the RDA match-up, partly for the trash talk that will happen for the next week.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Fucking hyped for this fight way more than I was for RDA.

Same. McGregor will style on Diaz and win by TKO or decision. But if McGregor gets goaded into standing and banging then Diaz may have a shot. Worst case scenario (lol): Diaz wins. Diaz gets title shot at 155. Diaz takes RDA seriously and wins the belt. Diaz vs. McGregor 2 booked for the end of the year.

Either way the trash talk and entertainment value of this fight just went through the roof.

zewone

1PyaQ0J.jpg

Haunted

Super bummed about Dos Anjos pulling out. This is no replacement fight, there are literally no stakes to this exhibition and we have no idea how McGregor performs at this weight.

MEH

/salty

If Conor loses at 170 will anyone really care?
Yeah, safe fight for McGregor (the excuses almost write themselves it things go wrong) and most likely a pretty great payday for Diaz.

Haunted

Just read the bit about Aldo's camp declining the offer. So much for Aldo's "any time, anywhere" quote for a McGregor rematch.

Smart choice.

Fucking hyped for this fight way more than I was for RDA.

Honestly, it will be nice seeing McGregor fighting at around his walking weight, rather than looking like he's dying during fight week due to the cut.

I'm actually more excited to see this fight than the RDA match-up, partly for the trash talk that will happen for the next week.

HOW DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING?

Conor's original opponent falls out of a highly, highly anticipated fight and he takes what would normally considered to be a huge risk and brings us something we never knew we actually wanted to see ever more in the process.

I just call it like I see it, homie.

When was the last time you saw a Brazilian champion that wasn't a born into poverty, talented yet still overconfident, megapatriot that moved to America the second they could, and devoutly religious guy that casually mentioned literally wanting to murder his opponent for saying anything remotely bad about him and even occasionally called them "faggot" in Brazilian interviews/youtube clips that everyone just kinda doesn't talk about?

I can't wait to see what Connor chooses to set Nate off. He's like that guy on the one Seinfeld episode who can find everyone's insecurity and insult them over it. My guess is Connor goes after Nick. Or says that Nate isn't as good as Nick. Something like that.

Nate's 2 inch reach advantage and superior ground game.
You think Diaz is gonna try to take Conor down? I love Nate but he has zero gameplan / fight iq. He will without a doubt keep it on the feet. That being said I don't see how Connor wins this. Nate is too damn big and Connors strengths are Nates stengths.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
As much as people give Connor shit for being a loudmouth champ built on fighting cans, gotta respect him for continually taking risky replacement fights.

iddqd

What a roller coaster.

More exited about the fight now, Boston Pizza is going to be full of the weirdos that only come out for Connor.

Haunted

I just call it like I see it, homie.

When was the last time you saw a Brazilian champion that wasn't a born into poverty, talented yet still overconfident, megapatriot that moved to America the second they could, and devoutly religious guy that casually mentioned literally wanting to murder his opponent for saying anything remotely bad about him and even occasionally called them "faggot" in Brazilian interviews/youtube clips that everyone just kinda doesn't talk about?
I mean, you're not wrong.

I don't even mind the zealous patriotism, that just comes with a lot of people in the sport (whether they're Brazilian, Irish or from the US), but it's tough to discern whether the blandness of answers and statements across many Brazilian fighters comes from the language barrier, translation problems, or whether they're just... bland guys.

broz0rs

yeah let's not get carried away with the reach advantage shit. Nate's not gonna be no Dhalsim in this fight. With that said, I like Nate's chances if the fight gets to the later rounds.

VoxPop

This is going to be a great fight. It's a shame that Nate only got 10 days notice for this fight because a full camp and the shit talking lead in to this fight would have been fantastic. But then again, he would have never gotten title shot anytime soon so I'll take what I can get.

It's also pretty funny that Eddie Alvarez is the top 155er in the UFC right now. Not counting Khabib since he hasn't fought in years. UFC should try to bring in Chandler and Brooks when they get the chance.

"Six of Conor's last 12 opponents have pulled out. Even if a certain fighter is not announced as Conor's original opponent, every guy who's in some way in the mix to face him in the future should be staying prepared, because there's a 50-percent chance there'll be an opening."

"I did find it somewhat interesting, however, that Jose Aldo and Frankie Edgar both turned it down. I seem to recall them insisting quite recently that they were willing to fight Conor 'any time and any place.' Obviously they forgot to mention that 5 March in Las Vegas was an exception."

- John Kavanagh

dream

You think Diaz is gonna try to take Conor down? I love Nate but he has zero gameplan / fight iq. He will without a doubt keep it on the feet. That being said I don't see how Connor wins this. Nate is too damn big and Connors strengths are Nates stengths.

No, I don't think Nate will try to take Conor down, but I can see Conor shooting once he realizes that he's getting outranged and falling right into an omoplata or something.

edit: also, throwing Frankie under the bus is bullshit. The guy is injured right now.

-MD-

"Six of Conor's last 12 opponents have pulled out. Even if a certain fighter is not announced as Conor's original opponent, every guy who's in some way in the mix to face him in the future should be staying prepared, because there's a 50-percent chance there'll be an opening."

"I did find it somewhat interesting, however, that Jose Aldo and Frankie Edgar both turned it down. I seem to recall them insisting quite recently that they were willing to fight Conor 'any time and any place.' Obviously they forgot to mention that 5 March in Las Vegas was an exception."

- John Kavanagh

Kavanagh is a moron, he knows Frankie is injured and still spouts nonsense.

broz0rs

Nate Diaz has a 10 day fight camp.

There's a good chance Diaz fails a drug test for THC, but it'll be worth the 1 year suspension with that pay day.

Chad got $500k, any idea what Nate will be paid? This PPV has got to do better numbers as Conor's legend gets bigger and bigger with each fight.

broz0rs

Conor calls Nate a little cholo gangster from the hood who coaches kids BJJ, goes bike riding with the elderly on Sundays, and makes balloon animals lol

VoxPop

Fuck Conor is brilliant. Nate can't keep up with his sputtering. He broke down Diaz a guy who gives zero fucks about anything. This fight is going to be wild.

VoxPop

I was interested in Nate's accusations that Conor and his camp knew they would get Diaz long before RDA pulled out allowing Conor to train in full for an out of shape 10 day notice Diaz. That's quite an intricate fix.

That presser was just a verbal beatdown by Conor on Diaz. From training kids to the hilarious Melendez/Shields retort, it was relentless.

Fuck Conor is brilliant. Nate can't keep up with his sputtering. He broke down Diaz a guy who gives zero fucks about anything. This fight is going to be wild.
Wild? Nate is going to fold under all the media pressure before the fight even begins. He'll get KO'd in the 1st then he'll get popped for marijuana and smoke up his million dollars while suspended.

Top Bottom