• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Good man, stick with me and I'll take you to the top. After this weekend I'll have run of this place once Spider vindicates me and proves I am the P4P true poster of the MMA community. Heel and Yaco will have to be sent off to Titan Fighting with the ownage that will be dealt.

pat-curran-kos-joe-warren.gif

*Edit* Whilst i want the same outcome i do NOT want the same outcome.

Heel

Our frienemy Natch truly believes he's the Ms. Cleo of the MMA world for picking a 3-to-1 favorite. You've never been out on a limb in your life, breh. That's okay though, because Chael P. Sonnen is gonna chop the whole damn tree down over the course of 25 minutes and leave you questioning your Zuffa endorsed reality.

Your "end of an era" is here.

i3pKWLsey91S2.gif

TheNatural

My Member!
Our frienemy Natch truly believes he's the Ms. Cleo of the MMA world for picking a 3-to-1 favorite. You've never been out on a limb in your life, breh. That's okay though, because Chael P. Sonnen is gonna chop the whole damn tree down over the course of 25 minutes and leave you questioning your Zuffa endorsed reality.

Your "end of an era" is here.

i3pKWLsey91S2.gif

I don't believe I am Ms Cleo, because I'm a beacon of truth and consistency to MMA thread.

While many here lambasted Mr. Jon Jones as a snitch, your hero Chael was pleading to a lesser felony charge with no jail-time in exchange for snitching on his fellow unethical co conspiring felons, yet one is hated and one is a hero.

While some here call for the 'purity' of the sport and rail on Mr. Ubereem for his use of PED's and suspension, and consider even his past fight against Lesnar illegitimate, here is a man who tested for a higher ratio T:E than Alistair and was suspended, which coincidentally coincided with the best performance of his life that would have been vacated irregardless.

While multitudes here rail on the great Georges St Pierre for his recent string of dominant decision victories, they actively root for a man who has one finish in his 14 fight UFC/WEC career.

And while many here throw around the word frontrunner and casual, they fall under the spell of a man whom anyone with any experience following combat arts easily dismisses as fairly amateurish sports entertainment skills. And then call others bandwagoners when they couldn't even spot Mr. Sonnen out of a lineup all of before 3 fights go.

You're right, one era is one era is over, and will be exposed to the light in three short days, but it isn't mine. I will go down guns blazing if need be, but at least I'll be consistent. I'm bringing legitimacy and consistency era back to the MMA thread.

PS - I'm not here to war, I'm hoping to bring you evil doers back to the light and consistent. Chael is the Devil's Advocate and has distorted your minds. Repent, there's still time.

Good man, stick with me and I'll take you to the top. After this weekend I'll have run of this place once Spider vindicates me and proves I am the P4P true poster of the MMA community. Heel and Yaco will have to be sent off to Titan Fighting with the ownage that will be dealt.

Like ≠ agree with.

yacobod

Banned

our work will never be done friend because our resident frontrunners Natch and Ninja will just switch to the JBJ camp.

Stop; it. Agreeomg with 'him' is not a good first impression friend.

No- what I'm saying in that post is "like does not equal agree with"

And besides, I said I like Nat because I try to like everybody until they give me reasons not to. He and I are not going to be BFF's any time soon.

ShaneB

It seems weird having a new face here.

Speaking of which, do any of the mma "fans" know this thread actually exists?

TheNatural

My Member!
This is the thing about people talking trash about a guy like Chael, they just can't relate to what he has had to go through.

Also, here is the countdown show for the fight, its different than the primetime show.

I don't think Chael is a bad guy or anything, I just have no desire to see him as champion and see more fights with him. For as unexciting and by the books grinder the guy is, he's used his mouth well to market himself. His fights are extremely similar to Jon Fitch, but Fitch has the personality of a piece of drywall and Dana tries anything possible to keep him off cards.

Heel

New leading rookie of the year candidate Latvian Hitman, tell us about your beginnings as an MMA fan. Who are your favorite fighters?

New leading rookie of the year candidate Latvian Hitman, tell us about your beginnings as an MMA fan. Who are your favorite fighters?

Geez, you guys must not get a lot of rookies around here- but I appreciate the praise just the same! I apologize for typing a book here- but I started typing and this is just what came out!

I've been in since almost the beginning. I was in a Muay Thai gym in Oklahoma the late 80's-mid 90's. I amounted to jack and squat there, but there were several guys there with national and world titles. One of them (tall fellow named Bud Smith) got an invite to the Vale Tudo Japan in '94 and decided to try it. We all thought it was an 8-man kickboxing tournament. He gets over there and then he and my coach find out it's NHB- which none of us knew anything about. He then proceeds to go out and win his first fight by KO, but breaks the hell out of his hand in the process. The promoters weren't going to let him go on to the second round of the tourney with a broken hand, so they withdrew him. Rickson was on the other side of the bracket.

They put and alternate in for Bud in the second round, who I believe won, but also injured himself. They literally have nobody healthy to fight Rickson, so Bud manages to convince the promoters that he can fight despite the broken hand. He, of course, goes out there and gets choked out in about .5 seconds.

After getting back stateside he tells me about the whole experience, and tells me how this Gracie guy from Brazil was choking fools out left and right, etc. A couple of months later I'm in a gas station and see a magazine with Royce on the cover choking out Gerard Gordeau. I remember thinking to myself, "Damn, Bud got beat by a scrawny guy in a gi?"

Didn't remember anything but the name Gracie- obviously Rickson was a different cat, but I didn't know that at the time!

Anyways- I bought the mag, and learned that there had been 3 tournaments like the one in Japan in the states already. I ordered them all on VHS and they became quite the fascination for me and my college bros. UFC 4 was my first live PPV. I'll never forget that it cut off halfway through the Gracie/Severn final - forcing us to sit through an infuriating replay of the entire event and to wait until 3 in the morning to find out who won. I've pretty much ordered every 'orderable' event since. Loved Pancrase, Rings, PRIDE, and of course the UFC. The PRIDE days are probably my favorite era, though.

Favorite all-time fighters (in no particular order, I'm not huge on all-time "rankings"):
Fedor
Wand
Big Nog
Bas
Igor Vovchanchin
Saku

Favorite current fighters:
JDS
Shogun
Aldo
Hendo (could probably move up to the other list, I suppose)

Basically- I like guys who bring it. I'm not much for stalling in the fence, shoulder ramming from top control, or what might be called "staying busy". That's all just a bunch of rules lawyering to me. I root for guys who want to tear heads off or rip limbs off. I've got no problem with fighting smart or having a gameplan or pacing ones' self- but it needs to result in a serious attempt to finish your opponent at some point in the fight, or I start feeling cheated as a paying customer.

Well, that's it. Me in a nutshell.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

i8IbEb1aBp92F.gif

Loved Pancrase, Rings, PRIDE, and of course the UFC. The PRIDE days are probably my favorite era, though.

Favorite all-time fighters (in no particular order, I'm not huge on all-time "rankings"):
Fedor
Wand
Big Nog
Bas
Igor Vovchanchin
Saku

Favorite current fighters:
JDS
Shogun
Aldo
Hendo (could probably move up to the other list, I suppose)
Get this man a link to insular chat.

I think Lat also wins the best "how I got into mma" story so far.

Latvian Hitman said:
Basically- I like guys who bring it. I'm not much for stalling in the fence, shoulder ramming from top control, or what might be called "staying busy". That's all just a bunch of rules lawyering to me. I root for guys who want to tear heads off or rip limbs off. I've got no problem with fighting smart or having a gameplan or pacing ones' self- but it needs to result in a serious attempt to finish your opponent at some point in the fight, or I start feeling cheated as a paying customer.
Yes! I know in my old age I've come to appreciate more nuance and strategy, but the early UFCs were exciting because guys got teeth knocked out and heads stomped. The brutality is core. We need to pretend it is a sport to keep it legal, but let's not forget the roots.

Phil Baroni said:
I want to see the best fighters; I want to see who is the strongest the best!
Guys should be able to do what ever it takes to be the strongest. Getting choked and kicked in the head is really bad for you, worse that pot, trt, or steroids. I don’t care who’s the cleanest, I wanna’ see the strongest, the fastest and the most gnarly fighters.
I don’t want to see who is the best at passing drug test. Overeem isn’t the only guy taking shit, he just got caught. I wanna’ see the baddest mother fuckers going at it. That’s why pride was the best I wanna see a 205 (ripped) Wanderlei Silva kill dudes!

Heel

Well, that's it. Me in a nutshell.

Cool story. I've watched VTJ '95 but not sure if I've seen the one before it. I'll have to check it out sometime.

Yeah, not many dare enter the NHB arena that is MMA-GAF. Most are comfortable in the safe confines of UFC threads.

Our all time favorite lists are eerily similar. We all named our top 5 at one point and I'm pretty sure you named all of mine, haha.

Welcome!

ShaneB

nice friend, i'm thinking about going to see them this friday. 50/50 on whether or not i go.

With the setlist they're playing, how can you resist?!?! I had my dates mixed up. I thought they were playing this weekend here, when I'll be out of town at my friends wedding. But lucked out when a buddy of mine pointed out the date because he had an extra ticket, so I scooped that up. Floors though.. which can be fun, but exhausting.

Also, about Penn... his head is so damn round.

ShaneB

i've already seen them 3 or 4 times, and i doubt it will top the epic 2008 tour.

Fair enough, this is pretty much on par with that tour in my opinion. I love this setlist just as much.... actually maybe more, since it does include a few oddities.

It seems weird having a new face here.

Speaking of which, do any of the mma "fans" know this thread actually exists?

Ive lurked this thread for months really.

Just never been one to talk about MMA much outside of my close friends.

Ok I lied, I just dont wanna chat MMA cuz that one guy has a Greg Jackson avatar that scares the shit outta me.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Guys Lakers signed Nash. I don't even care if Anderson loses anymore. Bring on that avatar on Saturday.

My brother is the biggest Steve Nash fan and despises the Lakers. You have no idea how conflicted he was when he heard the news lol.

Ive lurked this thread for months really.

Just never been one to talk about MMA much outside of my close friends.

Ok I lied, I just dont wanna chat MMA cuz that one guy has a Greg Jackson avatar that scares the shit outta me.

Avoid him and be afraid, he is a bonafide Heel.

Also WHO ARE YOU!?

Welcome to the community ;)

Jake.

i have totally been out of the mma loop for the last 2 months due to exams/travelling/nba playoffs - just read that dream is done!? when did this happen? any news on where the 'main' fighters are going - ufc, onefc etc? where can i read about what happened? although it didn't hold a candle to pride i am still kind of gutted, i actually missed the last nye show but i had been watching every event since dream 2.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
With the setlist they're playing, how can you resist?!?! I had my dates mixed up. I thought they were playing this weekend here, when I'll be out of town at my friends wedding. But lucked out when a buddy of mine pointed out the date because he had an extra ticket, so I scooped that up. Floors though.. which can be fun, but exhausting.

Also, about Penn... his head is so damn round.

The crazy shit is that they still sound awesome. Bruce is like one of those people who never got the memo on aging so he never did.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
The only time I've seen Maiden live was during the Dance of Death tour (Glasgow, December 2003). I remember one of the amps blew up during Paschendale. And I hope whoever thought Funeral For A Friend would make a good support band got fired.

I remember last year when I went home for summer I saw the Iron Maiden plane parked at Edinburgh Airport. That was great.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Stupid next tuf rumor

Make them fight already, no need for tuf.

Does this do anything for Pettis? I can see that it would be good for Cerrone as he's slightly out in the wilderness right now, but Pettis is probably 1 win away from fighting for the title... that is after Edgar vs. Bendo 3, Bendo vs. Diaz, Diaz vs. Bendo 2... ok, I see the point in doing TUF now.

yacobod

Banned
The crazy shit is that they still sound awesome. Bruce is like one of those people who never got the memo on aging so he never did.

It's funny but I think he actually sounds better now then he did during their prime. The only downside is that he cannot come close to hitting the same high notes as he used to, but his overall technique is much better now.

But go back and listen to like Beast over Hammersmith, he used to be a machine.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Does this do anything for Pettis? I can see that it would be good for Cerrone as he's slightly out in the wilderness right now, but Pettis is probably 1 win away from fighting for the title... that is after Edgar vs. Bendo 3, Bendo vs. Diaz, Diaz vs. Bendo 2... ok, I see the point in doing TUF now.

Winner of Pettis/Cerrone probably gets a title shot by default since there's nobody else left with a solid win streak. Pretty funny considering where this division was last year with half the top 10 sporting 5 or 6 fight streaks.

Still think Uncle Dana and Joe Silva are nuts for not putting together Nate/Pettis while the Bendo/Edgar situation plays itself out.

Top Bottom