• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Watching now. Would've liked to have seen MvC yesterday. Champ seems to be unstoppable to these pelicans.

It was good games but today is gonna be even crazier. I think marvel is def the most hype game at this year's evo.

dabig2

I think when Hendo loses to Bones he will make the drop, or at least attempt to

All the TRT in the world wouldn't help Hendo here. He was gassing quick when he faced Anderson 4 years ago. His gas tank has only decreased since then. It would be a massacre.

No, I think Shogun, Rashad, or Machida can drop down and give Anderson a good fight. Too bad only 1 of those will actually do it.

ShaneB

Watched 148 earlier this morning. God fucking dammit Chael. I was pissed.

Was a good card, I thought all the fights were pretty interesting, but I didn't check out any of the prelims.

Seeing Mendes destroy Mckenzie was terrific.

Hex

Banned
All the TRT in the world wouldn't help Hendo here. He was gassing quick when he faced Anderson 4 years ago. His gas tank has only decreased since then. It would be a massacre.

No, I think Shogun, Rashad, or Machida can drop down and give Anderson a good fight. Too bad only 1 of those will actually do it.

Shad might.
Machida won't, not as long as he and Silva are buddies.
I do not know if Shogun would be able to do the cut, though I would love to watch that fight depending on which Shogun showed up.

Heel

It was good games but today is gonna be even crazier. I think marvel is def the most hype game at this year's evo.

Yessssssss.

Let's get the nerd chat poppin' for Evo later. A UFC 148 post-mortem is needed in a more insular environment.

ShaneB

Yessssssss.

Let's get the nerd chat poppin' for Evo later. A UFC 148 post-mortem is needed in a more insular environment.

I'm at an airport now, and missed all of EVO this weekend. Won't get home until late, really hope I can catch stuff when I get home.

Looks like I'll be home in time to watch SSF4AE finals, all I really wanted to see I guess. Bummed I missed the ST tourny of legends. Ah well.

Hex

Banned
Yessssssss.

Mk is going rather predictably at the moment, but at least there have been a couple of surprising character choices (though they went pretty badly)

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
The main event of the show I judged last night ended with a brutal spinning backfist 14 seconds into the first round. It was the first and only strike thrown. Pretty crazy.

Also Dan Hornbuckle cornered one of the guys in the fight before that. Sucks I didn't see him at the after party. Would have liked to get a picture.

FACE

Banned
I laughed at Bisping's comment about illegal knees.

Stann just beat Alessio Sakara, he should win at least two more fights before fighting someone in the top 10.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Watched the event when I got home last night. Overall kinda meh, although Maia's win was wtf-ish and Forrest running away again was funny.

Main event was also kinda funny. They got to do what they wanted one round each, so I guess it showed that one of them can finish. What went through chael's mind when he came up with that spinning backfist I'll never know.
The aftermath in here was hilarious, kinda glad I cowardly refrained from choosing sides...

Now to read thru the UFC 148 thread while pretending to work. I'll also check out the book club!

I just looked at the other fights on Bendo vs Edgar 2....... lol

Wow, you weren't kidding:

Champ Benson Henderson vs. Frankie Edgar (for lightweight title)
Dennis Hallman vs. Thiago Tavares
Yushin Okami vs. Rousimar Palhares
Ed Herman vs. Jake Shields
Eiji Mitsuoka vs. Nik Lentz
Dennis Bermudez vs. Tom Hayden
Jared Hamman vs. Michael Kuiper
Justin Lawrence vs. Max Holloway

That's a fuel card if I ever saw one (except for the main event maybe).

yacobod

Banned
i like bisping - but i dont think he has anything to offer anderson.

bisping is what he is, a solid jack of all trades type middlweight, he's got great cardio, good enough striking, decent wrestling, decent submission defense, good ability to get back up to his feet, he will always be in the top 10, but doesn't have what it takes to challenge the top of the division because he doesn't have an elite skill. he's a volume striker w/out any power. he would be cannon fodder for anderson.

but there's no shame of being a top 10 fighter or a gatekeeper, not everyone is cut out for championships i suppose.

at least he has a personality and can get heat from the audience. that's more than 90% of the roster.

Just got back from Ibiza and just watched the fights. I hope Anderson just moves to LHW or just does super fights. If Jones beats Hendo he NEEDS to fight Anderson. Thats the only established guy he can fight now. No interest in GSP/Anderson or Bisping/Anderson. Sonnen can also move to LHW and maybe face Shogun. Realistically Anderson/Shogun at 185 would be a fantastic stand up fight.

Just got back from Ibiza and just watched the fights. I hope Anderson just moves to LHW or just does super fights. If Jones beats Hendo he NEEDS to fight Anderson. Thats the only established guy he can fight now. No interest in GSP/Anderson or Bisping/Anderson. Sonnen can also move to LHW and maybe face Shogun. Realistically Anderson/Shogun at 185 would be a fantastic stand up fight.

Anderson has ZERO interest in moving up to fight Bones. That's less likely than GSP/Silva, which probably will never happen either. I also doubt Shogun's tubby ass can get down to 185 now.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Jw876.jpg

yacobod

Banned
Frontrunner Scoot-

Anderson has a much better chance of beating JBJ than GSP does beating Anderson. However Anderson may want to continue taking easy fights at 185# to keep padding his undefeated record in the Ultimate. Either way his legacy is secure and he doesn't really need to take the JBJ fight.

JBJ has a lot more to gain if that fight was ever to be made.

Frontrunner Scoot-

Anderson has a much better chance of beating JBJ than GSP does beating Anderson. However Anderson may want to continue taking easy fights at 185# to keep padding his undefeated record in the Ultimate. Either way his legacy is secure and he doesn't really need to take the JBJ fight.

JBJ has a lot more to gain if that fight was ever to be made.

This is exactly what I think he wants to do. Did you see his face when they asked him about Bones Jones? He had that "Fuck outta here" look. He wants no part of Bones, and with good reason. Its basically asking him to go up against a heavyweight. Bones would just smother him for 5 rounds.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
bisping is what he is, a solid jack of all trades type middlweight, he's got great cardio, good enough striking, decent wrestling, decent submission defense, good ability to get back up to his feet, he will always be in the top 10, but doesn't have what it takes to challenge the top of the division because he doesn't have an elite skill. he's a volume striker w/out any power. he would be cannon fodder for anderson.

but there's no shame of being a top 10 fighter or a gatekeeper, not everyone is cut out for championships i suppose.

at least he has a personality and can get heat from the audience. that's more than 90% of the roster.

agreed on all points. and bisping's personality isnt completely manufactured, which puts him leagues ahead of his heel brethren sonnen.

would still be an entertaining fight, as i'm sure we'd see matrix dodging and new sensei seagal techniques from the GOAT.

Well if Anderson won't fight Bones than he should take super fights at 195-200 vs the LHW division. Guys like Shogun, Evans, Rampage etc. I would be more interested in Anderson fighting a 2012 Wand or a rematch with Belfort than fucking Bisping, who only looked OK in his fight with Sonnen due to a good stylistic match up.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I fail to see why Anderson should fight anyone else than a No. 1 contender middleweight whilst he is still the champion. Is it because he's cleaned house, or is it simply because some dudes with self-diagnosed aspergers syndrome need to know 100% for sure if Anderson could beat X or Y fighter.

For all we know the middleweight division will have a sort of renaissance like the welterweight division has recently underwent. Failing that, I'm sure that Rashad will be joined in time by more of Jon Jones' victims in joining the LHW Rejects club at middleweight.

Its just that there are zero interesting fights for Anderson at 185 and he has fought before at 205. Why not give him a new set of opponents in a division full of established stars where we can see great stylistic fights? Guys like Machida, Shogun, Rampage, Hendo and Evans etc have way more star power than Munoz, Weidman, Bisping and Boesch or whatever his name is. Maybe Cung Le would be a fun fight for Anderson for shits and giggles but nothing for him at 185 at all.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Its just that there are zero interesting fights for Anderson at 185 and he has fought before at 205. Why not give him a new set of opponents in a division full of established stars where we can see great stylistic fights? Guys like Machida, Shogun, Rampage, Hendo and Evans etc have way more star power than Munoz, Weidman, Bisping and Boesch or whatever his name is. Maybe Cung Le would be a fun fight for Anderson for shits and giggles but nothing for him at 185 at all.

So whilst Anderson goes on a superfight adventure at 205, everyone else in 185 is left in a welterweight-esque limbo waiting to fight the champion. That and having everyone in middleweight getting a bit angry at being told "oh, we wanted the champion to have interesting fights, so he's not fighting you, lol." That and the risk of Anderson getting M'Pumbu'd. Nothing would cheapen the middleweight championship quite like that.

Right now you've got at least enough potential fights at 185 to see Anderson into his 40s. If Rashad drops down then I can see at least 2 fights there. And in all probability Hendo is going to drop down after getting thrown around by Jones. Add into the mix potential fights with Lombard, Boetsch, Munoz, Belcher, Belfort, Shields, etc and Anderson's going nowhere until he's at least the same age as Hendo.

Top Bottom