• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Dat over saturation brah.

Ehhhh. Bring back Kimbo and have him on Big C's team, try teach the dude to be not a useless fuck and the ratings will go up a bit maybe.

SteveWD40

It'll be a good fight no doubt, G-Sot vs Paul Sass....... oh my, do want.

caJOW.gif

Makes more sense from the POV of the division too but Sass is too young to be a coach and no one could understand a word he says.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Aussie's can understand the accent pretty well and vice versa, Danga will still have it sub titled no doubt. All the other guys I know that watch the Ultimate are pretty ignorant to anyone outside the heavies or people who aren't the champ of their division so they could throw anyone in there, especially an undefeated fighter and milk that aspect.

Haven't had an issue understanding any of the UK fighters. Always makes me lol when there's subs on American shows, even American shows for Americans.

ldcommando

Banned
Did anyone actually think weidman was not for real? He was even the betting favorite against munoz.
Would love to see him get a ts right away but there are some rumors saying that he will get bisping instead. Good fight either way.

SteveWD40

Aussie's can understand the accent pretty well and vice versa, Danga will still have it sub titled no doubt. All the other guys I know that watch the Ultimate are pretty ignorant to anyone outside the heavies or people who aren't the champ of their division so they could throw anyone in there, especially an undefeated fighter and milk that aspect.

Haven't had an issue understanding any of the UK fighters. Always makes me lol when there's subs on American shows, even American shows for Americans.

I am from Manchester and even I can't understand Sass, his scouse is deeeeep, plus he mumbles.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The buyrate news I know you all crave.

MMA Supremacy ‏@MMASupremacy

Meltzer reportingt UFC 147 PPV buys estimated at 150K-200K. ‪#UFC‬ 148 at 1M buys. If you follow, those were numbers I reported last week ‪#MMA

agrajag

Banned
Ænima;39778828 said:
Yes? Its not like the result was controversial, Weidman clearly outfought Maia despite the boringness of the fight.

Silva didn't look particularly great against Demian either. Other than dancing around like a jackass he didn't really do much in that fight.

I don't know what fight you watched, but I saw two guys strike very poorly with both of them gassing horribly and the fight going to a decision.

TheNatural

My Member!
The buyrate news I know you all crave.

Holy cow on both numbers. All the talk of how UFC's brand is shit, they basically ran a TUF finale card on PPV and got at least 150K to 200K? That's like a good monthly PPV number for WWE. To compare:

The first estimate for the 5/20 Over the Limit PPV from Raleigh, built around a John Cena vs. John Laurinaitis main event where Laurinaitis would be fired if he lost, was 171,000 worldwide buys and 123,000 domestic.

Extreme Rules which was headlined with Brock Lesnar vs John Cena is holding at approximately 250,000 buys, up about 20 percent from the previous year. This would be the least-purchased Brock Lesnar PPV of the last five years.

UFC is still roasting WWE in domestic buys. This probably equaled Lesnar's PPV numbers domestically on his big wrasslin return.

yacobod

Banned
150k buys is pretty poor no matter how you try to rationalize it. When UFC 149 with faber headlining bombs out to 250k ppv buys or below, maybe we can acknowledge that the decrease in viewership is a direct result to shitty cards and stars not being marketable.

and we can also ignore the declining numbers in free cards and TUF.

ITS NOT A TREND.

Good job to Chris Weidman, good fellow Long Islander, but I still have no interest in any MW title fight that involves Anderson. At this point Silva should either relinquish title and do catch weight super fights with Evans, Shogun or Rampage or some LHW's need to move down. Evans should be able to get a contender shot instantly. The MW division is a total waste for Anderson at this point and the only guy that has a decent chance would be Belfort again.

Carwin vs Roy Nelson? Well I would have liked to see Hunt fighting either of them. Hunt deserves Carwin more than Roy does at this point. Now who will they match Hunt up with? Bad matchmaking Joe. Carwin should beat Roy easy. Roy has nothing for Shane, at all. This s coming from a Nelson fan.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Good job to Chris Weidman, good fellow Long Islander, but I still have no interest in any MW title fight that involves Anderson. At this point Silva should either relinquish title and do catch weight super fights with Evans, Shogun or Rampage or some LHW's need to move down. Evans should be able to get a contender shot instantly. The MW division is a total waste for Anderson at this point and the only guy that has a decent chance would be Belfort again.

Carwin vs Roy Nelson? Well I would have liked to see Hunt fighting either of them. Hunt deserves Carwin more than Roy does at this point. Now who will they match Hunt up with? Bad matchmaking Joe. Carwin should beat Roy easy. Roy has nothing for Shane, at all. This s coming from a Nelson fan.

I keep forgetting you and i are NY homies.

agrajag

Banned
Roy Nelson reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Homer was a boxer. Like he has a layer of gelatin around his brain that lets him absorb punches, in the end he's just a glorified punching bag. Carwin will be Drederick Tatum.

TheNatural

My Member!
150k buys is pretty poor no matter how you try to rationalize it. When UFC 149 with faber headlining bombs out to 250k ppv buys or below, maybe we can acknowledge that the decrease in viewership is a direct result to shitty cards and stars not being marketable.

and we can also ignore the declining numbers in free cards and TUF.

ITS NOT A TREND.

You don't keep up with boxing or wrestling PPV buys so you have no scale of what is actually good or bad. You have UFC's scale of what is a bad buyrate, with no comparison to other organizations.

For as shitty a card that totally should have been free, was broadcast in another country, and the guys on the card basically paid nothing - I think UFC and Dana were probably willing to do backflips if they even hit 100K. Hopkins-Dawson last year did 60,000 and the second fight was moved to HBO for lack of interest, and there's a dozen boxers that are totally unmarketable to the point they can't even have a PPV with them on it because they don't draw, including the heavyweight champions of the sport and "up and comers" like Ward and Dawson.

Wrasslin is in persistent decline, Lesnar did horrible returning and a horrible buyrate. UFC's worst card maybe ever that should have been free did the level of a solid to good monthly WWE card.

That's what I compare it to, it still kicked ass of other PPV competition, was an absolutely horrible card that should have been free, yet still made plenty of bank. I legitimately expected Hopkins-Dawson numbers for this thing and it did three times that.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Oh Dana talked about TUF Brazil in this interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdfh2T3lGKI&feature=em-subs_digest

He said the reason it sucked was because the TUF guys were huge celebrities in Brazil and they were partying right up to the ppv, not taking it seriously cuz they thought they had made it already. That's why Dana didn't do any publicity cuz he was too pissed.
Dana probably needs to revisit his "global organization guru" with dealing with people from Brazil, because that's only going to piss them off and make them harder to work with.

Team Bad Back vs Team Party in the Back.

The only Brit on TUF I ever had trouble understanding was Ross Pointon, but that's because he's a mumbler.

The only time you really needed subs was for Mikey Burnett, because it'd have been useful as a distraction from the wonky eyes.

Boogie

Holy cow on both numbers. All the talk of how UFC's brand is shit, they basically ran a TUF finale card on PPV and got at least 150K to 200K? That's like a good monthly PPV number for WWE.

Dude, 150k is THE WORST buyrate number for UFC since the TUF era started.

TheNatural

My Member!

And what's your point? I expected it to do that bad, worse actually. And I'm sure UFC did too. My point is, the bottom of the barrel basement level of UFC PPV buys are still more than all but two and a half boxers and on the level of what a good monthly WWE PPV is.

That's basically my point, some of you don't get what bad is with regards to PPV buys and actually LOSING money. TNA runs PPV's monthly and literally is lucky to get 10,000 buys. Most boxers have been run off PPV because of horrible buys, like Dawson's 60,000 last year.

And people are acting like the UFC is doomed when they put on a PPV card they intentionally made to suck because they couldn't get a good venue in Brazil and still did way more than any of that?

Boogie

Yup, confirmed, just skimmed all the UFC events on wiki.

The UFC has not had a PPV event do less than 200k buys since UFC 55 in 2005. That's the worst-performing UFC PPV in SEVEN YEARS.

For you to try and spin that as a positive by comparing to other sports is ridiculous.

TheNatural

My Member!
Yup, confirmed, just skimmed all the UFC events on wiki.

The UFC has not had a PPV event do less than 200k buys since UFC 55 in 2005. That's the worst-performing UFC PPV in SEVEN YEARS.

For you to try and spin that as a positive by comparing to other sports is ridiculous.

Why is it ridiculous? Do you not realize they purposely made this pay per view shitty? The whole card was TUF fighters and they moved it to a small ass Brazilian venue because they couldn't put Silva-Sonnen on in a big venue.

There were no expectations for this, and they probably thought it would do worse, I know I did. They probably made profit off of JUST the gate since no one is getting paid, then got 150K-200K buys on top of it?

Seriously, some of you need to learn to gauge things correctly.

FACE

Banned
I started the Hinterlands thread on our goodreads group without saying anything useful to start the discussion, sorry guys. :(

How many Brazilians live abroad in the US? It was probably them plus like 3 gaffers. If not for the Brazilian factor, you could say this is absolute baseline for what UFC can get just by being the UFC.

TheNatural

My Member!
How many Brazilians live abroad in the US? It was probably them plus like 3 gaffers. If not for the Brazilian factor, you could say this is absolute baseline for what UFC can get just by being the UFC.

I don't think Brazilians who live in the US would necessarily care about this card, because they probably didn't give a shit about watching TUF in the first place.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I know its impossible to know but It woud be interesting to see the break down of PPV buys.
I'd love to see stats of howmany of those buys were Bars and such.

I think it does give them a good baseline PPV amount..

I would guess Wand and Rich probably brought in 60kish buys alone so a tuff event with people like Faber and Cruz would probably be lucky to break 100k PPV

yacobod

Banned

I think Natch would be wise to heed the sage musings of MMA-GAF veteran Boogie on this matter. Comparing our brand of sports entertainment to the dead and dying boxing and wrestling is dubious at best.

The poor buyrates are a direct referendum on the poor quality of recent events.

That Uncle Dana and Zuffa continue to shit out terrible cards every month and half brains eat em up and then defend them is completely retarded, but I forget that beggar Natch steals them.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I know its impossible to know but It woud be interesting to see the break down of PPV buys.
I'd love to see stats of howmany of those buys were Bars and such.

I think it does give them a good baseline PPV amount..

I would guess Wand and Rich probably brought in 60kish buys alone so a tuff event with people like Faber and Cruz would probably be lucky to break 100k PPV

Cruz/Faber 2 did 375k. The only other comparison we have would be Aldo/Faber doing 175k under the WEC brand.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I work with a few, but the company has a few large offices in Brazil. They were all at my house this last weekend. Even they weren't interested in a Brazil TUF PPV. Quote was "who is goin to peay for dat sh't?" Some of them are MMA guys (one is even in one of my classes), but most of them just wanted to watch Brazilians beating up Americans. One of them actually was neighbors with Wanderlei Silva at one point and has some mutual friends with Anderson.

I don't think Barao/Faber is gonna do too hot either. I don't think a lot of people know Barao yet and I don't think many people give a shit about Faber and his numerous title shots. On top of that the remainder of the card looks more like it belongs on a FX card than anything. Still looks way more exciting than 147 though.

Some of them are MMA guys (one is even in one of my classes), but most of them just wanted to watch Brazilians beating up Americans.
Ya, that was another thing it lacked what the previous 2 Brazil cards had (well, besides big championship main events)--this one was Brazilian vs Brazilian rather than Brazilian vs American.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Cruz/Faber 2 did 375k. The only other comparison we have would be Aldo/Faber doing 175k under the WEC brand.

i ment a TUF event with them as the headliner as oppose to Known draws like Wand and Franklin headlining.

UFC 132 did great but it was a full card not a TUF event

Look at lastnights free event ..if it was PPV would it have broken 100k?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
i ment a TUF event with them as the headliner as oppose to Known draws like Wand and Franklin headlining.

UFC 132 did great but it was a full card not a TUF event

Look at lastnights free event ..if it was PPV would it have broken 100k?

Nobody cares about Munoz or Weidman though. Faber is a pretty good draw considering his weight class.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

My prediction is Mark Hunt vs. Bigfoot Silva.

Lets all take bets - which coach will be forced out of the fight before the end of the TUF season? I'm guessing Nelson due to pie eating contest injury.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I guess he is..I always thought of Faber as more of Cali regional Star

Yeah, people forget Faber fights were pulling a million viewers on Versus when your standard WEC card was drawing about 400k. It's kind of nuts because I don't know anyone who admits to liking Faber.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Lets all take bets - which coach will be forced out of the fight before the end of the TUF season? I'm guessing Nelson due to pie eating contest injury.

Carwin's on a retirement tightrope with injuries and age. If he can't make this comeback fight then I think he'd be better walking away.

Nelson on the other hand... I can't remember him ever getting severely injured. He's a tank.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
The Steam Sale has already caught my attention. I picked up Terraria and Legend of Grimlock. I think someone in the chat brought up the latter and that is how I found out about the game.

Top Bottom