• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

MjFrancis

How many Brazilians live abroad in the US? It was probably them plus like 3 gaffers. If not for the Brazilian factor, you could say this is absolute baseline for what UFC can get just by being the UFC.
That was the card that I insisted I would never buy... but I ended up getting it on account of my wife's insistence. Though, as if it were some sort of consolation, both of us did agree it was the second worst PPV we ever paid for (the worst still goes to Mir/Cro-Cop).

So who were the other two suckers on GAF who bought it?

MjFrancis

Amazing. At least I wasn't alone in being hoodwicked.

I'd have paid $5 apiece for the Wanderlei/Franklin and Werdum beatdown. So I'm still $50 short in UFC math.

Did it suffer? I saw a cat that had just been hit the other week. He could only move his front legs so he was just dragging himself around, but he dragged himself away fast when I approached. Left a note on the house that it crawled under, and heard back from them later that they found him 6 hours later with a broken back, so they put him down.

ShaneB

The Steam Sale has already caught my attention. I picked up Terraria and Legend of Grimlock. I think someone in the chat brought up the latter and that is how I found out about the game.

Ditto, the flash sales are going to drive me crazy too. I'll be Steam watching 24/7!

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Did it suffer? I saw a cat that had just been hit the other week. He could only move his front legs so he was just dragging himself around, but he dragged himself away fast when I approached. Left a note on the house that it crawled under, and heard back from them later that they found him 6 hours later with a broken back, so they put him down.

Sadly, yes. I hit it doing about 100km, early morning and dark just ran out of nowhere. He had broken legs and all his insides would have been destroyed. It yelped for a bit then went into shock I think. Put it in the car and drove around looking for a vet that was open so I could get it euthanized to put it out of its misery but he died in my car. Still left him with a vet that was open to check for a chip or something but it looked like a stray, no collar or anything.

Was really messed up watching it die.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
that's horrible
I'm sorry you went thru that.
As an owner of Dogs that would have devastated me.
Don't be down on yourself...the fact you tried to help him instead of just moving on is admirable.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Sadly, yes. I hit it doing about 100km, early morning and dark just ran out of nowhere. He had broken legs and all his insides would have been destroyed. It yelped for a bit then went into shock I think. Put it in the car and drove around looking for a vet that was open so I could get it euthanized to put it out of its misery but he died in my car. Still left him with a vet that was open to check for a chip or something but it looked like a stray, no collar or anything.

Was really messed up watching it die.

Damn dude. Sorry to hear it.

Damn, that sucks Cheesy. Good for you for trying to help.

Whoever hit the cat I tried to help just drove off. Luckily the cat didn't look too bad. At first I wasn't sure he was hurt or just too fat to walk. He wasn't crying and didn't even look upset. So I was surprised when they told me they put it down.

It boggles my mind how people are saying Bisping or Stann should be in line for title shots while Mark Hunt gets ignored for an epic fight with JDS. Hunt is on a much better win streak than anybody in MW contention besides Weidman.

Oh and Faber is going to get his ass kicked by Baro or whatever his name is. I'm gonna drop a bill on him, terrible fight for Faber and I like the guy.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
After the stunt they pulled in 147, underwhelming main events in foreign markets don't surprise me anymore.

Middleweight GOAT calls out Anderson Silver

I can't wait for him and Weidman to unify the belts in 2013.
Indeed, I proposed this fight in nerd chat last night. I wish there was more well rounded American fighters who mix their games well and aren't afraid of aiming high like these guys. We went from asking "who are these guys?" to driving their war wagons.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
It boggles my mind how people are saying Bisping or Stann should be in line for title shots [...]

trumanshowwhoyoutalkingto.gif

while Mark Hunt gets ignored for an epic fight with JDS. Hunt is on a much better win streak than anybody in MW contention besides Weidman.

3 wins. Against a can and two gatekeepers.

Come on son, I like Mark Hunt as much as his biggest fan does, but even I say he needs to fight a top 10 and then a top 5 guy before he gets a shot, even if he could probably beat JDS right now.

Oh and Faber is going to get his ass kicked by Baro or whatever his name is. I'm gonna drop a bill on him, terrible fight for Faber and I like the guy.

I see Faber by split decision.

Barao is BJJ dynamite though.

http://mobile.bloodyelbow.com/2012/7/12/3155501/bj-penn-vs-rory-macdonald-to-headline-ufc-152

If true:

BULLSHIT

Hey Dana, remember us? Toronto? The "Mecca of MMA?"
Yeah, fuck you.

If my prediction of JDS vs. Cain 2 at UFC 153 in Brazil then Canada has truely been relegated to MMA Event Gatekeeper status behind the new undisputed champion Brazil.

But don't worry. Calm down. I'm sure that UFC 154 will be a decent enough reach-around for Canadian MMA fans after Calgary and Toronto. Even after GSP pulls out injured again, Carlos gets "injured" too and you end up with something like Rick Story vs. Jon Fitch as a headliner.

I guess i won't be rushing to buy tickets right when they go on sale, I had a hard enough time selling 2 Jones vs Machida tickets for face value to a friend of a friend =/

SteveWD40

Bisping said on his vlog he is after that card as well, where he will be fighting Stann, Belcher or Weidman, so that should be at least one good fight.

industrian

Chael Sonnen is considering returning to LHW. I guess drying himself out to fight at welterweight is too much at his age.

I'd like to see him fight Rashad first. Either that or they can meet each other at the catchweight crossroads or something.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
http://mobile.bloodyelbow.com/2012/7/12/3155501/bj-penn-vs-rory-macdonald-to-headline-ufc-152

If true:

BULLSHIT

Hey Dana, remember us? Toronto? The "Mecca of MMA?"
Yeah, fuck you.

0056_97rpl.gif

Chamber

love on your sleeve
BJ is getting retired for real if he has to go 5 rounds with Rory. Can't wait for dream's "Thank you, BJ" post.

Bisping said on his vlog he is after that card as well, where he will be fighting Stann, Belcher or Weidman, so that should be at least one good fight.

Joe Silva needs to be slapped if Bisping gets matched with Weidman. Someone tell Mike that he still doesn't have a top 10 win to his name and he's coming directly off a loss.

SteveWD40

BJ is getting retired for real if he has to go 5 rounds with Rory. Can't wait for dream's "Thank you, BJ" post.

Joe Silva needs to be slapped if Bisping gets matched with Weidman. Someone tell Mike that he still doesn't have a top 10 win to his name and he's coming directly off a loss.

Bisping doesn't seem to want him, rather he is happy to fight anyone. Stann seems to be the fight he wants and he was around 8th last I looked, but then Weidman is 10 according to Shitdog. /shrug

bone_and_sinew

Chael Sonnen is considering returning to LHW. I guess drying himself out to fight at welterweight is too much at his age.

I'd like to see him fight Rashad first. Either that or they can meet each other at the catchweight crossroads or something.

Machida vs. Sonnen. Machida is desperate to take a fight as he does not have an opponent and there's "beef" there.

Well, if he were to beat Wiedman then that would be a top 10 win. Same with Stann and Belcher.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

That would probably be a good idea. Although his chances against bones are worse then they were against silva.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Well, if he were to beat Wiedman then that would be a top 10 win. Same with Stann and Belcher.

Well folks are throwing out Bisping/Weidman as a title eliminator but I'm saying that doesn't make sense considering Mike is coming directly off a loss. Bisping/Stann is solid booking.

yacobod

Banned
weidman vs bisping would be good booking. the count has good name recognition and could help put weidman over. most ppl don't know wtf a weidman is yet.

bone_and_sinew

Well folks are throwing out Bisping/Weidman as a title eliminator but I'm saying that doesn't make sense considering Mike is coming directly off a loss. Bisping/Stann is solid booking.
It doesn't make sense from a rankings angle but the UFC desperately wants Bisping to fight Silva so it makes sense from the business angle.
weidman vs bisping would be good booking. the count has good name recognition and could help put weidman over. most ppl don't know wtf a weidman is yet.
This too. If Weidman were to beat Bisping then the UFC can use that to market Weidman for a fight against Silva.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Vitor Belfort, the guy Weidman should be fighting next, has plenty of name value. Skill wise, it's a much better test for Weidman than Bisping is.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

pulling a rich and running from the spider. how will heel spin this?

Machida would kick Sonnens ass more than Silva did. Machida has very solid TDD, way better than Anderson. Sonnen should fight Evans/Rampage/Shogun/Little Nog and even Vitor or Wand. So many interesting fights for Sonnen at this point.

Strikeforce this weekend …

MAIN CARD (Showtime)
• Champ Luke Rockhold vs. Tim Kennedy (for middleweight title)
• Nate Marquardt vs. Tyron Woodley (for vacant welterweight title)
• Roger Gracie vs. Keith Jardine
• Lorenz Larkin vs. Robbie Lawler

PRELIMINARY CARD (Showtime Extreme)
• Jorge Masvidal vs. Justin Wilcox
• Pat Healy vs. Mizuto Hirota
• Jordan Mein vs. Tyler Stinson
• Jason High vs. Nate Moore
• Ryan Couture vs. Joe Duarte

BTW – I didn’t even realize that Will Campuzano isn’t with Zuffa anymore (he’s fighting for Legacy tonight)

industrian

You have no idea how hard it was not to reference this when I met Andy Wang for the first time (he teaches/taught BJJ in the gym I go to.) I was surprised that he had nothing but respect for BJ Penn (he even picked him over Diaz last year.)

Machida vs. Sonnen. Machida is desperate to take a fight as he does not have an opponent and there's "beef" there.

The potential for an Anderson vs. Sonnen rivalry is there for Machida. But that kind of rivalry only works well for title matches, and neither will win the belt whilst Jones is still marauding at LHW.

That would probably be a good idea. Although his chances against bones are worse then they were against silva.

I see the move to LHW as partially motivated to "clean up" the MW division. As in, Sonnen maybe feels like he would be a stumbling block for progress in the MW division. He'd be eaten alive by Jones, but he'll provide entertainment and be able to put over new contenders at the same time.

The main motivation though is to cleanse himself of the Silva rivalry and to give himself a fresh start. It's impossible for him to make any more progress in that division whilst Silva is still top dog, and he's too big to go down to Welterweight.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I see the move to LHW as partially motivated to "clean up" the MW division. As in, Sonnen maybe feels like he would be a stumbling block for progress in the MW division. He'd be eaten alive by Jones, but he'll provide entertainment and be able to put over new contenders at the same time.

The main motivation though is to cleanse himself of the Silva rivalry and to give himself a fresh start. It's impossible for him to make any more progress in that division whilst Silva is still top dog, and he's too big to go down to Welterweight.

Sonnen to LHW would be the best for the UFC. Jones will need new "contenders" and Sonnen with one big win can catapult him into contention. Sonnen beating Griffin or Evans would be a noteworthy win for publicity. If they don't want to potentially fast track Sonnen to the title, then Lil Nog would be an excellent battle for the Brazilian rivalry.

There are only a few "notable" contenders in the Middleweight division. Sonnen would most likely defeat most of them, so having him move to LHW would be the best business decision that he could make for the UFC. The UFC should promise him a title shot, should he defeat Evans/Griffin to help convince him to move to LHW. Outside of Gustafsson and Texeria gaining more attention from the public eye, there's not much left for Jones that is interesting, should he defeat Henderson.

Contenders at Middleweight:
Weidman
Belfort
Boetsch
Belcher
Lombard

Gatekeepers as of now:
Bisping
Stann
Cung Le
Franklin
Munoz

Weidman should fight Vitor Belfort. It's a win-win for the UFC. Belfort wins, they get a rematch with Silva. If Weidman wins, they have a young challenger that is scary good thus far and Belfort can run to LHW to give Jones more Anderson Silva leftovers.

Boetsch and Lombard will tussle with one being relegated to gatekeeper while the other will make a good statement for title contender. If Lombard wins, he may get the next title shot and Weidman/Belfort would fight the winner of Lombard/Silva. Belcher can fight Rich Franklin, should Belcher win, he would gain much more attention for his title bidding. Bisping/Stann can fight, but they are still far away in terms of quality wins from fighting Anderson. Knowing the UFC though, both could get title shots with ease.

Le can fight a returning Chris Leben and Munoz is all the way at the back of the train now with his loss. Jake Shields could go on a winning streak to help his name, but that won't be for awhile.

There's also Luke Rockhold/Tim Kennedy, Rashad Evans, Mousasi, and potentially Souza fights should the stars align.

Heel

I will have lost all faith in Joe Silva if he does not give us the crystal clear booking opportunity that is Bisping vs. Belcher.

Personally I feel like Weidman has paid his UFC dues and deserves it over Lombard even if it is not as marketable at the moment (is a Bellator champion who beat Tim Boetsch slam dunk booking anyway?). That would leave us with Lombard vs. Victor Gracie which is dynamite. If Lombard gets the shot, let Weidman fight Victor.

I do not feel like Boetsch can beat Lombard and get a title shot over Weidman. I guess you could have him fight Victor if he beats Lombard, though it's not nearly as interesting to me. I'd rather see him fight Stann, as I question both of their relevancies in the division.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I really want to see Bisping fight Belfort if possible.
its a win win

either Bisping wins and actually beats a top guy and will get his titleshot
or Vitor can try and out do Hendos greatest knockout of Bisping

Or is vitor gonna be out for a long time?

Heel

Eh, I like the idea of finding out who the superior rounded kickboxer is with Bisping vs. Belcher, and the superior pocket bomber is with Lombard vs. Victor. UFC does too many style clash match ups just for the sake of it. Let's see some mirror matches to find out who is a can and who is unstoppable.

Does anyone really want Victor fighting Anderson again? I've seen this brought up a few times in passing but I don't see the appeal.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I want to see Weidman against a good striker before he fights Anderson which is why I favor the match-up with Belfort. I don't mind feeding Lombard to Anderson in the meantime. Then again, Silver seems content to fight once a year so that may not even be necessary.

Eh, I like the idea of finding out who the superior rounded kickboxer is with Bisping vs. Belcher, and the superior pocket bomber is with Lombard vs. Victor. UFC does too many style clash match ups just for the sake of it. Let's see some mirror matches to find out who is a can and who is unstoppable.

Does anyone really want Victor fighting Anderson again? I've seen this brought up a few times in passing but I don't see the appeal.

You're saying you want to see what happens when an unstoppable force meets an unmovable object?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I want to see Weidman against a good striker before he fights Anderson which is why I favor the match-up with Belfort. I don't mind feeding Lombard to Anderson in the meantime. Then again, Silver seems content to fight once a year so that may not even be necessary.

I agree with Wayne Brady. When building up a challenger fails, Uncle Dana loves just throwing cannon fodder at champions. Why not at least attempt to build up more names in the division.

Heel

Potential Wand fights in my mind:

Paul Harris (I'd rather see Wand limping than suttering)
Philippou (if you don't mind seeing Wand lose a few brain cells and put someone over)
Boetsch if he loses to Lombard (someone actually slow enough for Wand to hit in 2012)

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
This is why all my pets are inside pets, and my heart drops when I see a cat or dog run over and I think about how maybe he/she was someone's best friend. Hell, I even feel bad when I see racoons get tagged and I know those things are assholes.

Bisping doesn't seem to want him
Bisping, however, can go play in traffic.

Top Bottom