• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

TziSN.jpg

So yeah, TUF UK vs AUS is going to be called "The Smashes".

It's a play on The Ashes, a Cricket series between the two countries.

Of all the stupid ideas the UFC have had, this one ranks somewhere in the middle.

MjFrancis

Of all the stupid ideas the UFC have had, this one ranks somewhere in the middle.
...but pretty solidly in the middle.

Like very other TUF, as long as some of the fights are worth watching, they can call it whatever they want. It's pretty much a rinse and repeat formula with new faces every time.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
TziSN.jpg

So yeah, TUF UK vs AUS is going to be called "The Smashes".

It's a play on The Ashes, a Cricket series between the two countries.

I wonder who the coaches will be.

And all I think about when I see "The Smashes" in this context is an early-90s cover of Smash Hits magazine with Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan on the cover.

ShaneB

...but pretty solidly in the middle.

Like very other TUF, as long as some of the fights are worth watching, they can call it whatever they want. It's pretty much a rinse and repeat formula with new faces every time.

It's basically turned into the UFC's farm system.

MjFrancis

It's basically turned into the UFC's farm system.
I would rather they treat it like that than as a stupid reality show. Go all the way, Dana. Not that any feigning of MMA as a respectable sports organization is what he wants anyways, but it would be nice to keep the drama for the WWE-style fight promos. At least that drama is filled with testosterone instead of tears.

I just think the show is a corpse, there is only so much variation in house antics and fighters that you can get till everything that happens becomes stale. Also there's the absolute saturation point that the UFC has reached in regards to events. When the first season of TUF came on, what was there, like 5 or 6 Ultimates a year? At that stage people wanted to see more MMA, and TUF was giving that. Now the UFC is putting out some crazy number of events every year, probably close to 30, and nobody gives a shit about a bunch of guys in a house fighting for a place at being a mid tier gatekeeper in whatever the fuck division.

Floex

I barely know the fighters they have on the cards now, let alone a whole new bunch that I'm supposed to give a shit about. The format is so stale, they need to retire it for a little while

^what that guy above me said

ShaneB

I would rather they treat it like that than as a stupid reality show. Go all the way, Dana. Not that any feigning of MMA as a respectable sports organization is what he wants anyways, but it would be nice to keep the drama for the WWE-style fight promos. At least that drama is filled with testosterone instead of tears.

Well I'm sure Dana sees all the other promotions as UFC's farm system as they scoop up the "talent", but I agree. Would love to see the "coach vs coach" dynamic gotten rid of, and just set it up as a farm system, have it tournament style, or some sort of point standings, etc, so it does feel more like a farm league and it's not one person winning, when we all know that winning TUF means nothing.

thefro

I just think the show is a corpse, there is only so much variation in house antics and fighters that you can get till everything that happens becomes stale. Also there's the absolute saturation point that the UFC has reached in regards to events. When the first season of TUF came on, what was there, like 5 or 6 Ultimates a year? At that stage people wanted to see more MMA, and TUF was giving that. Now the UFC is putting out some crazy number of events every year, probably close to 30, and nobody gives a shit about a bunch of guys in a house fighting for a place at being a mid tier gatekeeper in whatever the fuck division.

Exactly. What they really need to do is have another season like Season 4 and bring in a bunch of veterans to fight each other for title shots. That's the only way I can see it being interesting.

Right now you know the guys in the house are a few years away from developing into anything, whereas the folks from TUF1 could step in right away as mid-tier fighters (due to more talent being available and less talent being in the UFC at the time).

The international shows are okay I guess to build local talent (I think TUF Brazil is doing pretty well in Brazil since that's a new format to them), but people aren't going to really care about them in the US.

MjFrancis

That sounds about right to me.

I've got to admit, the saturation has hit me fairly hard, and I've never been one to want to watch much TUF in the first place. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if Dana just switched everything up dramatically. Open weight class tournaments or something. Take three months where there's little to no UFC events so there can be an "offseason" of sorts. It's hard to miss it when it never goes away.

That's why I fall back on Bad MMA from time to time. At least it's different.

Another "Comeback" season would be phenomenal.

My problem with this season is that not a single person is interesting. Its all the same shit from every season before. "I'm doing this for my family" interviews, lame pranks that looks like the guys were put up to by the producers, boring 'private' conversations among the fighters, etc. If they're going to keep using this format they need a Junie Browning in there to mix shit up.

A comeback season would be one of the only things that would get me to watch TUF again, as long as the fighters were interesting.

I tried with TUF Live, but the only noticeable difference to the show is some dead air and a general feeling of awkwardness to the production.

yacobod

Banned

you commentary can include the entire Ultimate.

the sport done peaked and its going to slowly slide back into irrelevance.

I am still unsure if Can is a top 10. His best win was a zombie corpse Nogueria and a T Virus Lesnar. If he beats Bigfoot in dominating fashion than I would put him in the top 10. He doesn't belong anywhere near the top 5 IMO.

Guys that can beat Can

Carwin
JDS
Mir
Werdum
Barnett
Overeem
Corpse Nog on a good day

I also think Hunto in a nightmare match up for him as well.

MjFrancis

the sport done peaked and its going to slowly slide back into irrelevance.

I don't see why the decline has to be slow.

And a decline could be good for the viewers in the long run. The optimist in me could forsee a rival organization rising up to challenge a zombie UFC in a few years. Something more akin to PRIDE (but certainly better than DREAM). It would probably require a revival of the sport in Japan or maybe Brazil.

I don't see how MMA will grow in popularity without using some pro wrasslin tactics akin to early Japanese MMA scene. Lets get real here, the UFC needs the wrasslin cross over fans. That is their audience.

Yeah I went into nerdchat and I was alone in there lol.

I stopped watching after about 30 minutes since the stream kept buffering for me.

Yeah I already know by now that Sherdog's streams are, just like the rest of their site, absolute shit.

It's not worth the frustration to watch one of their streamed events.

That sounds about right to me.

I've got to admit, the saturation has hit me fairly hard, and I've never been one to want to watch much TUF in the first place. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if Dana just switched everything up dramatically. Open weight class tournaments or something. Take three months where there's little to no UFC events so there can be an "offseason" of sorts. It's hard to miss it when it never goes away.

That's why I fall back on Bad MMA from time to time. At least it's different.
There was a bit of an offseason when TUF Live started.

Nope.

Heavyweight sucks. I don't know how you can try and pick out top 10 wins in order to legitimize someone in that division.

I think HW is looking the best its been in years. Its looking a bit like LHW a few years ago. Its filled with veterans and rising stars now that the SF fighters are crossing over. All the HW division needs is Sergei and I will be happy.

Its one of those divisions where the belt can be passed around like a hot potato based on styles.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I think HW is looking the best its been in years. Its looking a bit like LHW a few years ago. Its filled with veterans and rising stars now that the SF fighters are crossing over. All the HW division needs is Sergei and I will be happy.

Its one of those divisions where the belt can be passed around like a hot potato based on styles.

Heavyweight is filled with wrasslers and brawlers. The strongest heavyweight division in years is still the weakest division outside of 125 and 135.

MjFrancis

There was a bit of an offseason when TUF Live started.
I remember having about six weeks of nothing going on. Could have used another six weeks.

It was more than enough time to watch some PRIDE-era Wanderlei Silva and pre-decision king GSP to scratch my MMA itch.

Another "Comeback" season would be phenomenal.

My problem with this season is that not a single person is interesting. Its all the same shit from every season before. "I'm doing this for my family" interviews, lame pranks that looks like the guys were put up to by the producers, boring 'private' conversations among the fighters, etc. If they're going to keep using this format they need a Junie Browning in there to mix shit up.
And the 34 year old guy who says, I need to make it happen now or my career is over <sniff>. I'm just assuming, haven't been watching.

I would love to see the UFC do a Bellator style tourney. But their business model is working so far and I don't think Dana is looking for advise. Unless Fox continues to bomb, but it seems like they should know how to fix that. They either don't want to, or think that somehow the mainstream will just slowly warm up to undercard guys that the mainstream (and maybe dream) doesn't know. I dunno why they would think that would happen, but what's another explanation?

Heavyweight is filled with wrasslers and brawlers. The strongest heavyweight division in years is still the weakest division outside of 125 and 135.

IDK about that. HW looks more promising than WW/MW and LHW is on the decline. I think we can all agree that LW is the most stacked division and will be the premiere division in MMA for years to come.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I would love to see the UFC do a Bellator style tourney. But their business model is working so far and I don't think Dana is looking for advise. Unless Fox continues to bomb, but it seems like they should know how to fix that. They either don't want to, or think that somehow the mainstream will just slowly warm up to undercard guys that the mainstream (and maybe dream) doesn't know. I dunno why they would think that would happen, but what's another explanation?

Strikeforce has 2 empty championships they could easily fill with a tournament model.

But we all saw what happened the last time they did a tournament...

yacobod

Banned
can't wait for the NFL season to get started, injuries to young Rose and Noah submarined the Bulls, and MMA has been pure dogshit since Diaz got jobbed in February.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I still don't understand why Strikeforce still exists when Zuffa and Showtime didn't want to run it as a feeder league.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
can't wait for the NFL season to get started, injuries to young Rose and Noah submarined the Bulls, and MMA has been pure dogshit since Diaz got jobbed in February.

Midway Jay to the Beast will wipe the pain away. That is, of course, unless the oline gets Cutler killed again.

At least we'll always have the memories of our good friend dream saying the Bulls were better without young Rose.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
And the 34 year old guy who says, I need to make it happen now or my career is over <sniff>. I'm just assuming, haven't been watching.

It would make sense. Especially in some kinda rotating bracket or seeding since the way contenders get decided these days are based pretty much on how joe silva feels on any given afternoon.

yacobod

Banned
Midway Jay to the Beast will wipe the pain away. That is, of course, unless the oline gets Cutler killed again.

At least we'll always have the memories of our good friend dream saying the Bulls were better without young Rose.

ya I like how Emery signed all the draft picks already too so we can avoid any offseason shenanigans and holdout crap. I think Alshon will be productive as well.

You know MMA is in a rut when you're looking forward to Bears football. Only thing worse is expecting Rivers to lead the Chargers to the super bowl.

Heel

We don't have to let our discussion spiral into an endless stream of complaining like Wrassle-GAF, friends. Especially when we'll be treated to the Bad MMA Super Fight that is Marius Zaromskis vs. Waachiim Spiritwolf in a matter of hours.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
We don't have to let our discussion spiral into an endless stream of complaining like Wrassle-GAF, friends. Especially when we'll be treated to the Bad MMA Super Fight that is Marius Zaromskis vs. Waachiim Spiritwolf in a matter of hours.

Kill me now.

The best part of MMA right now is Nerd Chat.

Who would be some good candidates for a new 'Comeback' show? And no Shonie Carter answers.

Kill me now.

The best part of MMA right now is Nerd Chat.

The only thing better than that is when the announcers can see our nerd chat and they respond to it on mic.

Top Bottom