• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

111111111111111_medium.gif

I wonder how Jones would fight under PRIDE rules in a ring. His bread and butter is to gain mount position and rain hell bows from above. PRIDE rules don't allow for this. Which means if Jones is on top will he just punch his way to victory? this leaves him more open to getting arm bared or triangled. I also wonder if his opponents would be still be fearful of him if he couldn't use his hell bows. I am fascinated on how much different rules can change entire fighter. You can say "Yea Jones would just use knees and soccer kicks" but the only time I saw him in position to use it were in the Shogun fight.

Would taking away elbows from Jones have the same effect as taking soccer kicks away from Wand?

This is not a knock on Jones post at all. Just would like some opinions here.

VoxPop

I wonder how Jones would fight under PRIDE rules in a ring. His bread and butter is to gain mount position and rain hell bows from above. PRIDE rules don't allow for this. Which means if Jones is on top will he just punch his way to victory? this leaves him more open to getting arm bared or triangled. I also wonder if his opponents would be still be fearful of him if he couldn't use his hell bows. I am fascinated on how much different rules can change entire fighter. You can say "Yea Jones would just use knees and soccer kicks" but the only time I saw him in position to use it were in the Shogun fight.

Would taking away elbows from Jones have the same effect as taking soccer kicks away from Wand?

This is not a knock on Jones post at all. Just would like some opinions here.

If a fighter was in a position to use a soccer kick or knees to a grounded opponent, I'm sure they would. As seen in the AA/Sylvia fight. Just because AA was fighting in the UFC his entire career doesn't mean he wouldn't use a soccer kick if the opportunity came up. Also the ring is a lot better for strikers compared to the cage. If Jones was allowed to use knees and soccer kicks in the Shogun fight, we wouldve seen that can retire a long time ago.

Nice looking poster. I wonder who will still be on there come December.
ifHSJYysYM9S1.JPG

Here's the banner from the UFC Newsletter version. I've noticed a decided lack of inclusion about this event and the last one actually being on Fox in Zuffa's own marketing materials of Fox shows recently. Like the Shogun/Vera card, there were billboards in LA that just said UFC: Shogun vs Vera at Staples Center; Tickets On Sale without even mentioning that it could be seen on Fox when the billboards for the JDS/Cain fight had Fox's name all over them. Same kind of thing happened when UFC started to be on the outs with Spike towards the end of their deal.

Heel

Friday, October 5th

UFC on FX 5: Browne vs. Bigfoot

Prelims start at 2:00 PM PT / 5:00 PM ET on FUEL TV
Main card starts at 5:00 PM PT / 8:00 PM ET on FX

Bellator 75

Pre televised fights start at 4:00 PM PT / 7:00 PM ET, free on Spike.com
Televised fights start at 5:00 PM PT / 8:00 PM ET on MTV 2, HD on Epix
Post televised fights start at 7:00 PM PT / 10:00 PM ET, free on Spike.com

Saturday, October 6th

ONE FC 6: Rise of Kings

Prelims start at 4:30 AM PT / 7:30 AM ET, free on LiveSport.tv
Main card starts at ???, $9.99 on LiveSport.tv

Kickboxing - GLORY 2 Brussels

Starts at 10:00 AM PT / 1:00 PM ET, $15 on GloryWorldSeries.com

Invicta FC 3: Penne vs. Sugiyama

Starts at 4:00 PM PT / 7:00 PM ET, free on InvictaFC.com

CES MMA: Real Pain - Bautista vs. Rashid Evans Vince Lucero

Starts at 6:00 PM PT / 9:00 PM ET, $29.95 on pay-per-view and BautistaMMA.com

Zj3w7.gif

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Wait, the Batista fight is on ppv? As in pay per view? As in, they want you to give money to watch that fight?

ik8cwlh3tMhSj.gif

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
You know that you've got a quality fighter if they've fought over 40 times but still don't have a Wikipedia page.

The only trainwreck worse than this guy's career is Batitsta's if he loses.

dream

I don't know what's more amazing: Big Dave's opponent being 40 years old or finding out that Big Dave himself is 43 years old.

I just randomly grabbed UFC 47 from my dvd shelf, didn't even look what was on it. God, this event is so exciting. Starting with Genki Sudo choking out Mike Brown, Nick Diaz ko'ing Lawler, AA using Cabbage as a punching bag, a great back and forth fight between Capt Franca and Yves Edwards...been years since I saw this and will probably be years till I watch it again, but I just had to say how fun this UFC is.

You know that you've got a quality fighter if they've fought over 40 times but still don't have a Wikipedia page.

The only trainwreck worse than this guy's career is Batitsta's if he loses.
Better than his previous opponent who was still in jail while they were promoting the fight.

FORWARD ME COWBOY CERRONE'S ADDRESS
Brenneman also tweeted his address (when he asked Jones to send him money for missing UFC 151). I know you want that as well.

Just follow Britney's cream pie trail.
Eww

SteveWD40

Dont judge friend. Its a heavy show to get into.

I am amazed anybody got into it when it was on TV, I got the box set after it had finished and watched about 3 episodes at a time, went through all 5 series in a year ish. It's the best way to consume it.

The first episode alone won't catch many peoples interest.

industrian

Regarding The Wire and stuff like that, I really have no interest in watching TV shows.

The last TV show I watch with any modicum of interest was Battlestar Galactica, which I finished watching over two years ago.

That said, my girlfriend loves the Walking Dead so I watch that with her whenever it's on. Season 3 starts over here in two weeks.

FACE

Banned
Regarding The Wire and stuff like that, I really have no interest in watching TV shows.

The last TV show I watch with any modicum of interest was Battlestar Galactica, which I finished watching over two years ago.

That said, my girlfriend loves the Walking Dead so I watch that with her whenever it's on. Season 3 starts over here in two weeks.

b9qg8.gif

"I have no interest in watching the best show to ever air on TV, but I was interested in a shit sci-fi show."

industrian

Does it get the Taiwan content edit?

You mean the standard "cut out all bullet impacts" ,"no blood splatter" and blank out all English swear words of Taiwan censorship? I can't really remember from watching reruns of Walking Dead season 2. If it's cut to shit then there are other ways my girlfriend and I can watch it. I have a friend called Sean that is really Fun, if you know what I mean.

b9qg8.gif

"I have no interest in watching the best show to ever air on TV, but I was interested in a shit sci-fi show."

My favourite non-sitcom TV show of all time is Babylon 5, bro. And after the first two absolutely monumental seasons of BSG I thought that it would dethrone that. But the tail end of Season 3 and the majority of Season 4 derailed that train. Then the train caught fire. And exploded. And soon after a meteor hit the burnt wreckage. But in retrospect I don't think I wasted my time watching it.

But my reason for not wanting to watch The Wire, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, <insert a popular show here> is generally due to lack of time for me. That and I'm not about to sit down and watch hours upon hours of stuff unless it grabs me instantly, and it's very hard for non-sci-fi related fiction to do that.

FACE

Banned
My favourite non-sitcom TV show of all time is Babylon 5, bro. And after the first two absolutely monumental seasons of BSG I thought that it would dethrone that. But the tail end of Season 3 and the majority of Season 4 derailed that train. Then the train caught fire. And exploded. And soon after a meteor hit the burnt wreckage. But in retrospect I don't think I wasted my time watching it.

BSG Spoilers:
lolgod

That doesn't excuse you not watching The Wire though.

industrian

That doesn't excuse you not watching The Wire though.

I guess this is a bad time to admit that I stopped watching There Will Be Blood about an hour into it as it bored me almost to sleep ... before playing CoD4 for four hours straight.

I guess this is a bad time to admit that I stopped watching There Will Be Blood about an hour into it as it bored me almost to sleep ... before playing CoD4 for four hours straight.
repeat after me: "I AM A FALSE PROPHET, GOD IS A SUPERSTITION"

seriously, I fail to see how that movie can be boring with how captivating and dynamic both DDL and Paul Dano's performances are and the set pieces in it.

Top Bottom