• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

Oh Amazon made me laugh

v5PBD.jpg

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I'll ask. My friend Isn't digging what he's played so far fyi, so curb your expectations.

After the monotonous grind that was GTA4 I'll have to see something concrete regarding GTA5 before I get even remotely hyped.

Honestly I'm just gonna be bummed out when the power inevitably goes out. Queens always has problems with trees and power lines. Without electricity I might have to do something drastic for entertainment, like read or learn basket weaving.

I remember my first typhoon in Taiwan. It broke nearly all the plant pots on my balcony, there was a power cut for 4 hours and then there was a minor earthquake to top things off. Only earthquakes really faze me now though - especially considering that my current apartment shakes whenever a truck goes by. :/

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
After the monotonous grind that was GTA4 I'll have to see something concrete regarding GTA5 before I get even remotely hyped.

I remember my first typhoon in Taiwan. It broke nearly all the plant pots on my balcony, there was a power cut for 4 hours and then there was a minor earthquake to top things off. Only earthquakes really faze me now though - especially considering that my current apartment shakes whenever a truck goes by. :/

Well we aint used to that shit up here. But yea you wont like GTA5..at least not the build he's playing right now.

industrian

Well we aint used to that shit up here. But yea you wont like GTA5..at least not the build he's playing right now.

What's the most extreme weather you're used to? Heavy snowfall?

I miss snow. I ain't seen a single snowflake in around 3 years. Then again I've not noticed any temperatures below 7c/44f since I got to Taiwan so I guess it's a good tradeoff.

And regarding GTA4, it really should have ended close to the bank robbery mission, which is a standout action setpiece this generation. The auxiliary content of GTA4 was simply not big enough to fill the void after that: you get tons of money but nothing to spend it on, you've seen all of the TV shows within 20 mins, and the quality of the radio is a far cry from Vice City and equally as content lacking as the TV.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Yea we basically only have snow to deal with up here. From what i know about GTA5 is that nothing you see will really blow your mind. I know he's only played limited MP in boxed off areas but he's not impressed by anything, rather nothing has dramatically changed. I guess as long as it looks marginally better it'll still be at least a decent game. GTA was always the 'more than the sum of it parts' game. Games in general have been ass lately, its hard to get excited for a videogame as is. After Halo im not sure i'll be buying anything in a long time.

industrian

Games in general have been ass lately, its hard to get excited for a videogame as is. After Halo im not sure i'll be buying anything in a long time.

I fully agree. There's nothing on the horizon that's ticking any "drop everything and buy it" boxes for me, and I have a fully-entrenched wait and see policy regarding any new consoles. That and I've got a rather hefty backlog I want to destroy before justifying dropping money on anything else.

That and I just bought Football Manager 2012. And to be honest that's all the gaming I'll need for the next year. Two days after buying it I've already played it for around 25 hours. I've not played an FM game for 4 years and it's great to be back.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Nothing says stale like a Halo game.

Seriously though, 2012 has been the worst year I can remember for video games. I'm getting a WiiU on launch day and the only game I'll buy for it is Skyward Sword which is not even a fucking WiiU game.

FACE

Banned

Seriously though, 2012 has been the worst year I can remember for video games. I'm getting a WiiU on launch day and the only game I'll buy for it is Skyward Sword which is not even a fucking WiiU game.

To be fair Halo games are, at the very least, much better than your typical modern day military shooter like Call of Duty or Worfighter.

Don't forget to tell us how it feels to dump 350 dollars on 4/5 year old technology.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
To be fair Halo games are, at the very least, much better than your typical modern day military shooter like Call of Duty or Worfighter.

Don't forget to tell us how it feels to dump 350 dollars on 4/5 year old technology.

I don't differentiate between FPS game. The entire genre is stale as shit.

I'm getting a WiiU for Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 in the future. In the meantime, I'll catch up on the 5 Wii games worth a fuck. At least it's a fresher experience than anything Sony and MS are offering.

industrian

I don't differentiate between FPS game. The entire genre is stale as shit.

It's a telling sign when your most enjoyable FPS game of the last two years has been a Doom Mod.

And as much as I'd love to drop money on "new" tech and a shiny new console, if I decide to buy any of the next-gen consoles I'll make a repeat performance of my Xbox 360 purchase (as in: I bought my 360 in 2009.)

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Suck it haters. I've played halo since the first one, and while its certainly far from the best thing since sliced bread, I got nothing else to use my XBL membership on. I havent played MP in a game for longer than i can remember.

FACE

Banned
Suck it haters. I've played halo since the first one, and while its certainly far from the best thing since sliced bread, I got nothing else to use my XBL membership on. I havent played MP in a game for longer than i can remember.

Wait a minute, you pay for XBL Gold?

i2h8Nl78CUJpX.gif

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I can't justify paying $60 dollars a year for (mostly)P2P multiplayer and some demos.

That's the thing with Xbox. I'm not into online gaming enough to pay a yearly fee for it yet if you don't have XBL, the system is practically useless.

Owning a 360 is probably my biggest gaming regret ever.

industrian

That's the thing with Xbox. I'm not into online gaming enough to pay a yearly fee for it yet if you don't have XBL, the system is practically useless.

Ever since I left Korea (and with it a 100Mb up/down connection) I've felt no need to pay the CoD Tax whatsoever. The only game I've really invested time in playing online since then was Battlefield 3 - and that's on the PC (and I've not played it in months.)

FACE

Banned
thats like 12 cents a day dude. Its not that serious.

It's not about how much it costs, it's about principles. What I should have said instead is: "I can't justify paying any amount of money for P2P gaming[...]"

Owning a 360 is probably my biggest gaming regret ever.

The last game I've bought for my 360 was Super Street Fighter 4, that came out in april 2010.

industrian

It's not about how much it costs, it's about principles. What I should have said instead is: I can't justify paying any amount of money for P2P gaming...

Before they cluttered the dashboards with prioritised ads I'd look the other way when people criticised the CoD/Halo Tax. Afterall, in comparison to the PS3 the online infrastructure is flawless. But now I just don't see the point. Especially if the only online games of CoD I'm going to get over here is playing against some fucking Japanese ninjas who can play the game like they're doing a calculus exam.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
It's not about how much it costs, it's about principles. What I should have said instead is: I can't justify paying any amount of money for P2P gaming...

The last game I've bought for my 360 was Super Street Fighter 4, that came out in april 2010.
Well then dont get it lol. I always get the bare minimum. I still play SFs and Umvc3 with my friends so i get mileage out if.

TheChits

If you never had a wii then you need to buy Xenoblade

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
May I suggest that the real issue here is that we've all outgrown video games?

Yeah. The last game i got really excited for was dark souls. It doesnt help that its so glaringly obvious that devs dont give two fucks about testing their games, and most games i played in the last 2 years are just covered in that 'well i already got your money so fuck you' sauce.

FACE

Banned

My biggest problem is that games seem to be getting dumber and dumber in an attempt to please the lowest common denominator. Games like Thief at least required a modicum of thought if you wanted to succeed.

Edit: It is possible that I'm being blinded by nostalgia, I haven't played Thief 2 in years.

I don't really play games without the Kojima name attached to them.

Why would you do that to yourself?

industrian

I just have zero patience now when it comes to games. That and I tend to play them with a designer's viewpoint and can accurately predict everything that's going to happen in them, which just highlights how crap, uncreative and formulaic games have become nowadays.

industrian

It's on the list.

Skyward Sword
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Xenoblade
Sin & Punishment

I really wanted a Wii after playing Mario Galaxy 1 four years ago. I ended up getting a 360 instead.

Maybe I'll hit up eBay for some cheap discs and just use Dolphin. I dunno.

FACE

Banned
Yeah. The last game i got really excited for was dark souls. It doesnt help that its so glaringly obvious that devs dont give two fucks about testing their games, and most games i played in the last 2 years are just covered in that 'well i already got your money so fuck you' sauce.

The PC version of Dark Souls is covered in so much of it that all the flavor the game had is gone.

Top Bottom