• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

Heel

For what? They're right. It's such a lose/lose fight and I too would rather not work for a man who doesn't understand how to promote fighters.

I had no idea that fighting Brandon Vera is a win/win. More like an easier fight.

No budo spirit.

Shogun will serpentine out an excuse and you Stans will lap it up.

dream

Because he is scared he would be exposed or because he thinks Glover is not even worthy to be in the same ring as him?

Uniquely, I think it's actually both. He knows Glover would beat him but Glover isn't even close to being a big enough name for him to happily put over.

Heel

Uniquely, I think it's actually both. He knows Glover would beat him but Glover isn't even close to being a big enough name for him to happily put over.

I can agree with this. He does not want to be seen as a guy who lost to what amounts to an unknown to the vast majority of fight fans.

Why are we so against seeing a new star born, though? Glover beating Shogun the Shook One breathes new life into the stagnant upper tier of 205. Are people going to believe the hype of Brandon Vera if he does the same? I doubt it, friends. Bones is going to need fresh bodies very soon.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani
If you missed it. Dana said Shogun's people told him Shogun would rather be cut than fight Glover. ...

That is...Odd? Maybe its outrage on his part for being one half of one of the greatest MMA scraps of all time?

I can agree with this. He does not want to be seen as a guy who lost to what amounts to an unknown to the vast majority of fight fans.

Why are we so against seeing a new star born, though? Glover beating Shogun the Shook One breathes new life into the stagnant upper tier of 205. Are people going to believe the hype of Brandon Vera if he does the same? I doubt it, friends. Bones is going to need fresh bodies very soon.

Vera is one dude who seriously lost his aura. Don't see him winning by anything vs Shogun.

Heel

If Glover has an ounce of Sports Entertainment knowledge he'll take a page out of Pele's book and out this coward via Brazilian YouTube.

TheNatural

My Member!
Dana White Announcement Via FuelTV aftershow:

UFC 152 will feature

Junior Dos Santos vs Cain Velasquez II
and
BJ Penn vs Rory McDonald

Good main event and co-main. There's probably a 5% chance those fights hold together without injury before then though I bet. As long as JDS stays healthy, that's good.

Good main event and co-main. There's probably a 5% chance those fights hold together without injury before then though I bet. As long as JDS stays healthy, that's good.

SHHHHHH

Me attending a UFC event pretty much means the card is going to stay as it is, or become awesomer

Heel

Dana White: 'Shogun' Rua Would Rather Be Cut Than Fight Glover Teixeira

When the UFC announced the upcoming UFC on FOX 4 replacement main event, the pairing -- Mauricio "Shogun" Rua vs. Brandon Vera -- was met with a collective groan.

It didn't quite seem to make sense that Rua would be matched up with a fighter who was briefly cut as recently as last year. Now we know why. As UFC president Dana White explained, it was a matchup of necessity after a rejected offer to fight UFC newcomer Glover Teixeira. In fact, according to White, Rua's team was so intent on staying away from the dangerous Teixeira that they were willing to sacrifice his job if necessary.

"He said that he'd actually rather be cut than have to fight him," White said during a UFC on FX 3 post-fight interview with Ariel Helwani. "Dude, nobody wants to fight this guy. We're trying to match the guy up with somebody, but he didn't mind fighting Brandon Vera, so he's fighting Brandon Vera."

After years of visa issues, Teixeira (18-2) just made his octagon debut at UFC 146, crushing Kyle Kingsbury in a first-round knockout. Teixeira has won 16 consecutive fights, with 15 finishes during that time.

Rua (20-6) hasn't fought since his UFC 139 war with Dan Henderson last November, a fight he lost by unanimous decision. White seemed to back off from personally blaming Rua for the decision to turn down the offered bout, instead placing the blame on his management group.

"I don't want to sound like I'm disrespecting Shogun, because I'm not," he said. "I'm just telling the truth. It's verbatim what his people said when we talked to them. You know me. I tell it like it is. If you don't want that out in public, then don't say it to me on the phone, because I'm going to say what was said. Shogun's a warrior. The guy's fought everybody from PRIDE to the UFC. His last fight with Dan Henderson was awesome. It is what it is."

No budo spirit.

I hope it is not a variation of "We trained together a few times and he's too good of a friend to fight. He doesn't know we're friends but we are."

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Dana White Announcement Via FuelTV aftershow:

UFC 152 will feature

Junior Dos Santos vs Cain Velasquez II
and
BJ Penn vs Rory McDonald

At this rate, I look forward to seeing Velasquez vs. Werdum for the HW Interim Title.

Honestly though, I'd love to see that match.

tass0

Banned
Shogun isn't ducking anyone. You guys understand Dana has no credibility?

"We put our asses on the line, THQ and the UFC, to make a video-game deal in the worst economy in the world," White said. "We go out there and do this thing, and it's successful, and now [expletive] EA Sports wants to do a video game. Really? That's not what you told us a year-and-a-half ago.

"You told us you'd never be in business with us. They wouldn't even take a meeting because mixed martial arts disgusted them. This wasn't a real sport. Boy, they got over that real quick, didn't they?"

White views EA Sports' tactics with obvious disapproval, and he's made it clear that any fighter who signs over their likeness to the new project will be blacklisted from the UFC.

"I'm not tap-dancing around this thing or whatever," White said. "I'm telling you straight-up, I'm at war with them right now. That's how I look at it."

439x.jpg

Screen_shot_2012-02-10_at_11.25.26_PM.png

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
OT but I thoroughly enjoyed Prometheus. Don't know what the fuck is the matter with some people saying the movie sucked because it left unanswered questions. It's called Prometheus not Alien Zero.

I need to see it soon but I told my friend I would see it with her so I have to wait till she has a night free.

Damn, is there really no Bad MMA this weekend? I'll go watch the FX show I guess.

industrian

OT but I thoroughly enjoyed Prometheus. Don't know what the fuck is the matter with some people saying the movie sucked because it left unanswered questions. It's called Prometheus not Alien Zero.

Same here. It wasn't a perfect movie, but I prefer leaving the theatre with things to think about rather than having everything explained to me in mind-numbing detail just because idiots in testing audiences and GAF threads don't understand stuff and don't like thinking for themselves. I thought it was a great movie.

I look forward to the inevitable Director's Cut on Blu-ray.

Shogun isn't ducking anyone. You guys understand Dana has no credibility?
I'm assuming this isn't serious, but regardless, in this situation Shogun and his management has already shown lack of credibility. They talked about Gustaffson fight not being possible due to him being injured and Gustaffson comes out and doesn't know what they're talking about and wanting to fight this summer.

That and bringing up names like Tito Ortiz as the best match up (though that might've been when he was still with Eduardo Alonso) and eventually taking Vera makes it obvious what type of match ups they want now.

bone_and_sinew

Damn, is there really no Bad MMA this weekend? I'll go watch the FX show I guess.
There was Bad MMA last night :p
They're ducking the Pacquaio fight as well.

Industrian said:
Same here. It wasn't a perfect movie, but I prefer leaving the theatre with things to think about rather than having everything explained to me in mind-numbing detail just because idiots in testing audiences and GAF threads don't understand stuff and don't like thinking for themselves. I thought it was a great movie.

I look forward to the inevitable Director's Cut on Blu-ray.
100% agreed. I get criticisms about some of the character behaviors but the fact that it seems the audience want every single detail spoon-fed to them and every single question answered or else it sucks is jarring to me. What the fuck happened to the intrigue of mystery and piecing things together for yourself.

DKehoe

I'm assuming this isn't serious, but regardless, in this situation Shogun and his management has already shown lack of credibility. They talked about Gustaffson fight not being possible due to him being injured and Gustaffson comes out and doesn't know what they're talking about and wanting to fight this summer.

That and bringing up names like Tito Ortiz as the best match up (though that might've been when he was still with Eduardo Alonso) and eventually taking Vera makes it obvious what type of match ups they want now.

Fighters only fight a couple times of year. I don't blame a top level fighter, or their management, only wanting fights that will be meaningful. Beating Glover Teixeira isn't going to mean a lot to a lot of fans out there. Vera is a name that means a lot more. It doesn't mean Shogun has no credibility.

Vera is a name like, I dunno, Kendall Grove is a name. If Thiago hadn't pissed dirty, Vera wouldn't be in the UFC right now, right?

DKehoe

Vera is a name like, I dunno, Kendall Grove is a name. If Thiago hadn't pissed dirty, Vera wouldn't be in the UFC right now, right?

But far more people know him than know Glover Teixeira. Vera has fought some high profile fighters and even headlined cards. Teixeira means pretty much nothing to a lot of people.

bone_and_sinew

Uncle Dana is at the presser blaming the Florida fanbase for the lack of ticket sales for UFC on FX 3: Johnson vs. McCall II

Is this the beginning? Thank you, Florida.
lol, the card was crappy and don't nobody want to see two guys who weigh less than large dogs fight. Dana should look in the mirror for who's at fault. Oversaturation.

I watch Bad MMA with you guys and even I bailed to go watch Prometheus instead.

Heel

Fighters only fight a couple times of year. I don't blame a top level fighter, or their management, only wanting fights that will be meaningful. Beating Glover Teixeira isn't going to mean a lot to a lot of fans out there. Vera is a name that means a lot more. It doesn't mean Shogun has no credibility.

Do you really think this is why Shogun would rather be cut than fight him, because it wasn't meaningful enough compared to Brandon Vera? That Kool Aid is pretty strong.

Ya, but a lot of people think Grover is the next big thing. Losing is losing, but it's not as bad to lose to someone like Andy, who a lot of casuals didn't know when he fought Leben, and then only knew him from that fight when he destroyed Franklin. It would only really be terrible if Grover beat Rua and then went on to lose a few fights and get cut.

But anyway I feel like this discussion has happened here recently already. :)

DKehoe

Do you really think this is why Shogun would rather be cut than fight him, because it wasn't meaningful enough compared to Brandon Vera? That Kool Aid is pretty strong.

I think the "I'd rather be cut that fight him" is a really weird stance to take. Maybe they were just bluffing.

db00efe0b17d11e181bd12313817987b_7.jpg

Jake Shields posted this on twitter. Overeem looking smaller, I wonder what caused that?

Heel

Ya, but a lot of people think Grover is the next big thing. Losing is losing, but it's not as bad to lose to someone like Andy, who a lot of casuals didn't know when he fought Leben, and then only knew him from that fight when he destroyed Franklin. It would only really be terrible if Grover beat Rua and then went on to lose a few fights and get cut.

But anyway I feel like this discussion has happened here recently already. :)

A "quality loss" as Anik would put it, lol. Losing to Brandon Vera definitely has no chance of being that. He took the definition of a lose/lose fight.

industrian

I think the "I'd rather be cut that fight him" is a really weird stance to take. Maybe they were just bluffing.

I don't know how anyone could interpret that as anything other than "oh don't let the scary man hurt me! Please, don't let him hurt me! Let me go back to Curitiba and have a bubble bath! Anything but fighting the scary man!"

I mean, if Shogun thought he wasn't at his level he just has to say that shit. If he was holding out for a top-5 challenger to put him back in the mix for a title shot then he could have just said that shit. If this guy had done some crazy shit that had disrespected Shogun in some way or brought the "honour" of the "sport" down in some way he could have just said that shit too.

db00efe0b17d11e181bd12313817987b_7.jpg

Jake Shields posted this on twitter. Overeem looking smaller, I wonder what caused that?

Wearing a t-shirt.

TheNatural

My Member!
Paul Daley and Strikeforce have parted ways, according to a release from the British fighter’s representatives at Fight Management Limited.

According to the heavy-handed welterweight, Daley’s release was due in part to his desire to fight more frequently.

“I’m happy that Strikeforce has granted my request to be released from their roster as I found it difficult to fight so infrequently,” Daley stated in a release. “My whole career, I’ve wanted to fight as often as possible, as it keeps me in the best form and condition.”

denzelwashington1.jpg

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Also Sapp fought yesterday LOL:

[IM G]http://i.imgur.com/wxCIi.jpg[/IMG]

That's 0-8 in 3 months. Has another fight in South Korea next week. LOL

[im g]http://gifsoup.com/view/570207/cool-denzel-o.gif[/img]

the best part is he hasn't been outof the first found in 8 years.

Top Bottom