• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT3| When you lose you're a can, when you win you're unstoppable.

yacobod

Banned
Mir v. Cro Cop can never be topped.

you could make a pretty compelling case that Mir vs CroCop was a lot more relevant than Wand vs Ace II, plus the card on paper for 119 looks light years better than 147. Seriously look it up, they don't even have the full card announced yet 1 week out.

TheNatural

My Member!
you could make a pretty compelling case that Mir vs CroCop was a lot more relevant than Wand vs Ace II, plus the card on paper for 119 looks light years better than 147. Seriously look it up, they don't even have the full card announced yet 1 week out.

Nah its more horrible. Bader v Lil Nog co main, just crap.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
*actually looks at 147 card outside of the main card *

Holy shit that is a bad card. Half these guys don't even have wikipedia pages. They should've just called the TUF Brazil Finale and put in on free tv.

If this breaks 200k buys it would be a rousing success.

Heel

Uh, wow, 147 isn't even better than those numbered UK cards they'd give us for free on Spike. I can't even get excited for this from a "I like the sport" perspective.

Mike Russow has climbed way too high up the ladder for his own good. At least Joe Silva is giving a Joe a chance, though. I can appreciate that from the Sokoudjou angle discussed earlier. The only problem is I'm sure they think he's earned it.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Uh, wow, 147 isn't even better than those numbered UK cards they'd give us for free on Spike. I can't even get excited for this from a "I like the sport" perspective.

Mike Russow has climbed way too high up the ladder for his own good. At least Joe Silva is giving a Joe a chance, though. I can appreciate that from the Sokoudjou angle discussed earlier. The only problem is I'm sure they think he's earned it.

Self fulfilling prophecy friend Heel. All MMA is now BAD MMA.

TheNatural

My Member!
Well they made sure there won't be enough demand to conflict with the UN right? Wasn't that the point of moving Silva-Sonnen to Vegas? Strategically shitty card.

Bellator has snatched up mah boy Ryan Martinez.

UFC 147: Does it do 100k ppv buys? yes/no

Hmm I hate to be negative because I think there's too much of it in this thread but this is indeed a ridiculous PPV (for the US). It's a Brazilian version of a UFC on Fuel event. If they don't put an American TUF finale on a PPV why would they do it for Brazil being broadcast to US? Having said that though I still am interested in seeing Franklin vs Wand and Russow vs Werdum but I'd never consider paying for this.

EDIT: Oh and confirmed - one of the judges got Rocha and Pierce confused when they were scoring that fight.

Heel

Self fulfilling prophecy friend Heel. All MMA is now BAD MMA.

iSeCQcDJ9Z4t3.jpg

Bellator has snatched up mah boy Ryan Martinez.

Ryan Martinez will legit kill Brett "Top Tenner" Rogers.

ShaneB

147 is a disaster, I'm trying to ignore that it's even taking place.

I'm hoping for some good fights on the Guida/Maynard card.

yacobod

Banned
Yeah, really hoping Sam Stout gets a win, and the Pearson vs Swanson fight should be fantastic.

idk, i think pearson is a pretty good fighter, and cub is a complete can. looking at his record it seems like cub alternates between wins and losses, so i expect him to get smashed by ross.

Heel

Looked through the FX card, actually pretty nice.

Joey Gambino is a guy to keep an eye on, highly ranked prospect. He appears to be getting the Max Holloway trial by fire treatment though, as I think Siler is the real deal. Great fight.

Also, Brock Jardine has made it to the Ultimate. Amazing.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i kinda like jds's stance about roids and TRT. i feel like if it's going to be banned you really have to go all out like he suggests. and TRT is a total joke. you gotta think a little at least that if he's so vocal about it there's at least a decent chance he doesn't do it (unless this is like an anti-gay-republican situation), which if true in that division really makes his accomplishments that much more impressive

ShaneB

idk, i think pearson is a pretty good fighter, and cub is a complete can. looking at his record it seems like cub alternates between wins and losses, so i expect him to get smashed by ross.

Meh, it's the same old argument. Can or not, I've liked him in a bunch of his previous fights, so I keep my eye on him. Win or loss, if he keeps entertaining with good fights, keep giving him fights. same with Pearson who I've liked since his TUF days.

yacobod

Banned
i kinda like jds's stance about roids and TRT. i feel like if it's going to be banned you really have to go all out like he suggests. and TRT is a total joke. you gotta think a little at least that if he's so vocal about it there's at least a decent chance he doesn't do it (unless this is like an anti-gay-republican situation), which if true in that division really makes his accomplishments that much more impressive

can't wait til the natural HW JDS knocks out that blown up LHW fraudreem. Sugar Cain can get KTFO again too. JDS got that star potential. I think we'll see JDS vs JBJ eventually.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
If JBJ did get to 235, I still think he'd dominate the division if he keeps his mobility.

The gap between 205 and the real dudes at HW are is pretty big. Youre talking about a division in which Mur felt undersized. Chicken legs would be sleeping it off on Liberace boulevard against any of the bigger dudes in the division.

ShaneB

The gap between 205 and the real dudes at HW are is pretty big. Youre talking about a division in which Mur felt undersized. Chicken legs would be sleeping it off on Liberace boulevard against any of the bigger dudes in the division.

Mir is a can no matter what size he is. He lost when he was small, and he loses when he's big.

JDS and Cain are small for heavyweight, in that 230-240 range, and they've had success as well. So like I said, If JBJ kept his speed and mobility and gained the weight and power for HW, he'd do just fine.

Of course, as I keep saying, I don't care about HW, so just get rid of the damn division and that's that, so my opinion is fairly moot :p

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Mir is a can no matter what size he is. He lost when he was small, and he loses when he's big.

JDS and Cain are small for heavyweight, in that 230-240 range, and they've had success as well. So like I said, If JBJ kept his speed and mobility and gained the weight and power for HW, he'd do just fine.

Of course, as I keep saying, I don't care about HW, so just get rid of the damn division and that's that, so my opinion is fairly moot :p

Imagine if you will JBJ vs Kongo.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Imagine if you will JBJ vs Kongo.
Kongo would try to take him down since he fights wierd given his skill set and would get GNP'd since he doesn't have a good chin or defensive striking. Bones would drop him and finish the job.

What I'd kill for would be an open-weight tourney with small heavies, light heavies not cutting weight, and large middleweights not cutting weight. Like imagine an open-weight tourney with JDS, Cain, Cormier, Anderson, Vitor, Bones, Hendo just cause he doesn't give a fuck, etc...

War Machine blogging from prison again:

So anyway, I heard my boy @kendallgrovemma lost his last fight vs. Jay Silva… pisses me off! Keep your head up tall piece of shit! I love you, I’d rather lose a fight than be in this boring spot! Eat some SPAM and pussy for me! Back to jail…

TheNatural

My Member!
The Sports Business Journal recently polled 1,100 major "sports decision makers" to guage their interest of WWE, UFC and boxing - and how those interest levels have changed over the past 5 years. Here are the results:

WWE: 4% said they had more interest, 32% said they had the same level of interest and 64% said they had less interest.

UFC: 29% said they had more interest, 39% said they had the same interest and 32% said they had less interest

Boxing: 7% said they had more interest, 41% said they had the same interest and 53% said they had less interest.

MMA nearly the same

Boogie

Naw. Today, as is, Jones beats everyone but JDS at HW, I think.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Would you guys rather watch a guy that puts on exciting fights who loses sometimes or a boring fighter who keeps winning fights like Woodley does?

Heel

This weekend's Nerd Chat festivities will surely cure all ills, friends. The return of Drew McFedries will turn your frown upside down. I am sure of it.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
This weekend's Nerd Chat festivities will surely cure all ills, friends. The return of Drew McFedries will turn your frown upside down. I am sure of it.

I'm ready for ShoFIGHT.

Main Event – ShoFIGHT Welterweight Championship
15. John ‘Guns’ Gunderson (UFC Vet) vs Karo ‘the Heat’ Parysian (UFC Vet)
Co-Main Event – ShoFIGHT Middleweight Championship
14. ‘Dangerous’ Terry Martin (UFC Vet) vs Kendall ‘the Spyder’ Grove (UFC Vet)
13. Lyle ‘Fancy Pants’ Beerbohm (Strikeforce Vet) vs Marcus ‘Maximus’ Aurelio (UFC Vet) – 165lbs
12. Mike Wessell (UFC Vet) vs Aaron Rosa (UFC Vet) – Heavyweight
11. Chris ‘Crazyman’ McDaniel (KOTC Vet) vs Charles ‘Kid Chaos’ Bennett (PRIDE Vet) – 150lbs
10. Jonatas Noveas (Strikeforce Vet) vs Drew Fickett (UFC Vet) – 160bs
9. Alan Gibson vs Dustin Phillips (Bellator Vet) – 145lbs
8. Chris ‘Gritz’ Gruetzmacher (Strikeforce Vet) vs Roli Delgado (UFC Vet) – 145lbs
7. James ‘JP’ Reese (Strikeforce Vet) vs Sevak Magakian (UFC Vet) – 155lbs
6. Lucas ‘the Hillbilly Lightstorm’ Overcast vs Matt ‘Luke Duke’ Lucas (UFC vet) – 205lbs
Main Card 7PM
5. Travis ‘Iron Chin’ Coyle vs Karen Darabedyan (WEC Vet) – 170lbs
4. Lucas Lopez (Strikeforce Vet) vs ‘Smilin’ Sam Alvey (Strikeforce Vet) – 185lbs
3. Rabert Saborudden vs Jacob ‘Straight Jacket’ Ritchie – 125lbs
2. Chris Barnes (KOTC Vet) vs Jesse Zeguin (Titan FC vet) – 155lbs
1. Jason Ignacek vs Gary Michaels – 135lbs

Top Bottom