• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously who thought fighting underwater in this game was a good idea...it was terrible when I had to kill Gobul that barely moves but with Lagiacrus I'm swinging in the direction he's not in anymore like 75% of the time -_-

Insaniac

Seriously who thought fighting underwater in this game was a good idea...it was terrible when I had to kill Gobul that barely moves but with Lagiacrus I'm swinging in the direction he's not in anymore like 75% of the time -_-

yeah underwater fights are poop. I pretty much always default to gunlance against actively moving monsters, and dual swords (with mega dash juice for dat sweet speed dodge) against slower guys like gobul

GeekyDad

My LBG/HBG sets are specifically for underwater battles. Not a huge fan either.

upandaway

Depending on which weapon you're using, if you position yourself correctly, normal Lagi is an easy fight. Lance/Gunlance are good anywhere except close to his head, GS and SA should sunbath on the beach or something, everyone else are good as long as they stick to the floor like glue (it should be close to where Lagi's tail starts). Hammer can do better above Lagi's head but it's a tough spot to maintain.

Lance/Gunlance aside (they're on another level), a DS that sticks to the floor trivializes the fight.

Kokonoe

Banned
I love underwater battles myself and this is the first Monster Hunter game I've played a ton. I wouldn't want a Monster Hunter without underwater battles now.

I will say though that Lagiacrus is just a annoying guy to find in-general, though.

Anura

I love underwater battles myself and this is the first Monster Hunter game I've played a ton. I wouldn't want a Monster Hunter without underwater battles now.

I will say though that Lagiacrus is just a annoying guy to find in-general, though.

But you can finally ride a Kirin in MH4! Also Lagi wouldn't be so annoying if he didn't have his hip check in fact he wouldn't be hard at all

Syril

I just found out about the weirdness with the cursed charm tables. I've made a character and literally done nothing else, so I was planning to start over with the trick of setting the system date to January 21, 2012 to guarantee I won't get a cursed table. I'm assuming that changing the system clock sets the seconds to :00? Or can you also change the seconds? I don't exactly have my Wii U in front of me to see for myself.

trixx

ok finally getting the hang of things, not bad. I have full wroggi set and some dinosaur water blade. Managed to beat the bird(this guy summoned a giant dragon) and the ice beast

GeekyDad

Random question: does dressing up and snuggling your pig help your relationship with it or anything? I mean, is there any real payoff?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Man, this game makes you feel awesome!
Just beat the first(?) credits Hunt in 5 min; makes me feel like I'm a semi-good hunter now.

also

Banned
I just found out about the weirdness with the cursed charm tables. I've made a character and literally done nothing else, so I was planning to start over with the trick of setting the system date to January 21, 2012 to guarantee I won't get a cursed table. I'm assuming that changing the system clock sets the seconds to :00? Or can you also change the seconds? I don't exactly have my Wii U in front of me to see for myself.

On 3DS you reset the seconds to zero when you change minutes and you can't change second individually. I assume it's the same on Wii U.

tuffy

After coming up empty many times, I once got the last Rathalos Ruby I needed in the rewards after cuddling Poogie ahead of time.

True story.

Insaniac

After coming up empty many times, I once got the last Rathalos Ruby I needed in the rewards after cuddling Poogie ahead of time.

True story.

hey tuffy, i'm working on an elemental LBG set with evasion+2 evade distance up ele attack up and combo pro. I was wondering what kind of armor sets you have for LBG if you wouldn't mind sharing.

tuffy

hey tuffy, i'm working on an elemental LBG set with evasion+2 evade distance up ele attack up and combo pro. I was wondering what kind of armor sets you have for LBG if you wouldn't mind sharing.
For elemental LBG, I always look for sets with bonus shot to add another bullet to all those rapid fire attacks and try to add element up and evade extender when possible.

I've used an Artian X set with those three for a long time, but you'll need a decent evade dist charm. Any sort of 3 slot head and waist parts work so long as your charm is good enough, so I usually maximize dragon defense for Stygian Zinogre hunting.

It's possible to come up with a similar Escadora X set with a good rapid fire charm, but Alatreon can be hellish to fight. I've just finished this recently and haven't had much of a chance to use it.

Still, a lot of the time I'll default to Barioth Z with rapid fire which trades element up for attack up (L) just because it has great flame resistance and I don't have to chug cool drinks.

For something that's pretty much all offense, I use Rathalos X which works with the Nether Phloxian (which has 1 slot), or Amagi Prime which works with anything. I'll use one or the other based on which has the best elemental resistance to what I'm hunting.

I've turned Narga X into a rapid fire set also but that's mostly in case I'm trying to maximize survivability over offense. Brachydios X can also squeak by as an rapid fire/evade dist set with some added bomb boosting.

Oh, and I've also put together a Plesioth X set which is light on offense but great for capturing.

I've got a few other sets for different things, but these are the ones I drag out most often.

Insaniac

For elemental LBG, I always look for sets with bonus shot to add another bullet to all those rapid fire attacks and try to add element up and evade extender when possible.

I've used an Artian X set with those three for a long time, but you'll need a decent evade dist charm. Any sort of 3 slot head and waist parts work so long as your charm is good enough, so I usually maximize dragon defense for Stygian Zinogre hunting.

It's possible to come up with a similar Escadora X set with a good rapid fire charm, but Alatreon can be hellish to fight. I've just finished this recently and haven't had much of a chance to use it.

Still, a lot of the time I'll default to Barioth Z with rapid fire which trades element up for attack up (L) just because it has great flame resistance and I don't have to chug cool drinks.

For something that's pretty much all offense, I use Rathalos X which works with the Nether Phloxian (which has 1 slot), or Amagi Prime which works with anything. I'll use one or the other based on which has the best elemental resistance to what I'm hunting.

I've turned Narga X into a rapid fire set also but that's mostly in case I'm trying to maximize survivability over offense. Brachydios X can also squeak by as an rapid fire/evade dist set with some added bomb boosting.

Oh, and I've also put together a Plesioth X set which is light on offense but great for capturing.

I've got a few other sets for different things, but these are the ones I drag out most often.

Great! I totally forgot about Artian X armor set. I will hafta start forging that. Does the recoil down help with the bonus shot? I don't relish the thought of being planted in one spot because of the extra shot recoil

tuffy

Great! I totally forgot about Artian X armor set. I will hafta start forging that. Does the recoil down help with the bonus shot? I don't relish the thought of being planted in one spot because of the extra shot recoil
Surprisingly (and annoyingly) recoil down doesn't affect rapid fire at all. Fortunately, elemental and normal shots have the fastest delay so you won't be planted in one spot any longer than it takes to fire them all off.

Anura

Don't forget about that mix that gets you attack up medium, bonus shot, unscathed and element attack up!

Insaniac

Surprisingly (and annoyingly) recoil down doesn't affect rapid fire at all. Fortunately, elemental and normal shots have the fastest delay so you won't be planted in one spot any longer than it takes to fire them all off.

hmm I guess thats good I can try to ignore recoil down in favor of some other skill

tuffy

Don't forget about that mix that gets you attack up medium, bonus shot, unscathed and element attack up!
That does sound useful (though unscathed is pretty hard to maintain). I'm guessing it's some sort of Escadora X/Artian X mix with decorations and a decent charm.

I don't make a lot of mixed sets mostly because it's a lot easier to get 20-25 resistance to an element with a whole set of something. With gunner armor as weak as it is, that can make the difference between shrugging off a Rathalos fireball to the face (without even having to roll out the flames) and taking an embarrassing ride on the kitty cart.

OmegaZero

So I got this game (for 3DS) during the sale recently and immediately started regretting my purchase. The combat felt really unresponsive, the controls were unintuitive and the missions were really boring.

Fast forward to a few days later and I'm completely hooked. I have no idea how it happened. I still think the combat is unnecessarily clunky, but I'm loving the Greatsword and how satisfying it is to land a Lv3 charge as a monster lunges by. Farming monsters for parts to make an awesome set of armor is surprisingly not tedious so far (and I have yet to even think about skills, charms, and all of that other stuff). I'm even having fun with underwater combat (though I am using a CPP).

My only gripe is that the CPP second analog just works like the d-pad: no analog aiming.
Does anyone know if MH4 changed this?

Also, I'm diving into the five-star village quests soon. Any Greatsword users have any tips or weapon/armor recommendations that I should keep in mind?

I'm currently rocking these equipment sets:
Full set of upgraded Wroggi armor and a Lagiacrus Blade.
Full set of upgraded Jaggi armor and a Ravager.

ohlawd

wtf had like 6 people leave in 10 mins.

it even says in the comments that I wanna do high rank and they all ask if I'm doing G.

Anura

edit:^^where are you? I could use some hunts now

That does sound useful (though unscathed is pretty hard to maintain). I'm guessing it's some sort of Escadora X/Artian X mix with decorations and a decent charm.

I don't make a lot of mixed sets mostly because it's a lot easier to get 20-25 resistance to an element with a whole set of something. With gunner armor as weak as it is, that can make the difference between shrugging off a Rathalos fireball to the face (without even having to roll out the flames) and taking an embarrassing ride on the kitty cart.

Jhen and escadora. And it isn't so bad when gunning

Insaniac

So I got this game (for 3DS) during the sale recently and immediately started regretting my purchase. The combat felt really unresponsive, the controls were unintuitive and the missions were really boring.

Fast forward to a few days later and I'm completely hooked. I have no idea how it happened. I still think the combat is unnecessarily clunky, but I'm loving the Greatsword and how satisfying it is to land a Lv3 charge as a monster lunges by. Farming monsters for parts to make an awesome set of armor is surprisingly not tedious so far (and I have yet to even think about skills, charms, and all of that other stuff). I'm even having fun with underwater combat (though I am using a CPP).

My only gripe is that the CPP second analog just works like the d-pad: no analog aiming.
Does anyone know if MH4 changed this?

Also, I'm diving into the five-star village quests soon. Any Greatsword users have any tips or weapon/armor recommendations that I should keep in mind?

I'm currently rocking these equipment sets:
Full set of upgraded Wroggi armor and a Lagiacrus Blade.
Full set of upgraded Jaggi armor and a Ravager.

people calling the combat "clunky" is kind of a pet peeve of mine, but anyway, I think the combat is well refined, and not clunky. The Great Sword is a very slow and cumbersome weapon, thats how its designed. The main strategy is to sheathe up when you can't hit the monster, and not to try to move around with the weapon out. Other weapons like the dual swords, hammer, SnS, Long sword have fluid combat, but again the combat is very refined so that you always have to be looking for an opening, or aware of when to dodge, and when to persist in your combo

Top Bottom