• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Anura

I've been breaking out heavy bowguns more lately against monsters without a lot of useful elemental weaknesses (like the nonmetalic Raths) and the results have been interesting. With light bowguns, taking the limiter off loses your rapid fire which is usually a bad thing because rapid fire is often a serious source of damage. So there's only a few oddball guns where that's beneficial (like the God's Achipelago).

But with heavy bowguns, taking the limiter off loses crouch firing and a little mobility in exchange for more attack strength and better clip sizes for those crouch-fired shots. Given that I rarely get a chance to crouch fire at anything, I decided to try a little back-to-back hunt against high rank Village Pink Rathian (a good gunner punching bag) to see what kind of difference it makes:
  • Empress's Garden (limiter on) - 7:08 to complete, 99 normal lv. 3 shots + 10 normal lv. 2 shots
  • Empress's Garden (limiter off) - 5:28 to complete, 86 normal lv. 3 shots
Looks like it's a pretty significant improvement and the reduced mobility (like a lack of side rolls) is barely noticeable. Not to mention that hitting just the right spot to cause a bunch of shot ricochets to the monster never gets old.

You should see what they do to the super sized monsters

Sora_N

Don't worry, I couldn't either in the demo, so imagine the feeling you get when you kill that sucker.

The demo really isn't a great way to introduce the game. It just throws you into a hunt without any explanation and with a short time limit of 20 minutes (it's 50 minutes in the full game). You should watch the beginners guide to monster hunter videos, they explain the basics very well.

I felt the same way about the demo. It put me off from buying the game for a while. I recently did and am really enjoying it. They give you plenty of time to figure things out, and pace these early goings very well. Far more instructional than the demo.

Your life as you knew it is now gone forever. :p

As an aside, I just met Jhen Mohran. Wow...

I'm over 200 hours in now, thought the game was starting to wind down, but no -- they throw in this epic battle, which isn't even a key quest, and they present it to you with this awesome cutscene. Failed it, of course, but it is one of the coolest finds in the game thus far. I was merely trying to finish up my 7* Village Quests (been trying to finish all of the quests as I go), and didn't realize it was going to be that. I can see it's like Ceadeus, in that I'll have to come back to it later, but it's definitely a really cool thing for them to throw in there.

Insane value this game is. Insane.

Haha thanks all, I'm watching the video now but actually enjoy the full game much more since it lets me take some time to learn the system while I get some tutorials. Having a lot more fun than the demo.

You played darksouls, or any MH inspired games like vindictus? He isn't too hard remember to use potions dodge when he attacks and get a rough idea of his attack pattern first by playing passive.

Also those things that come with make the fight much easier. I have the game now (was bored), and still don't have them, do you get them after a certain period in the game or just play multi when there;s no one around?

I played Demon's Souls a little bit but it's not really for me, I chose to buy MH because seems like a less intimidating game and I get to kill giant dinosaurs and stuff.

GeekyDad

Already 200 h in and only now you see Jhen Mohran for the first time? I remember him showing up much earlier, but it was probably an online quest. But I agree, that battle is epic the first time you play it. It loses some of its charm after a while though.

Eh, checked my playtime on the system, and it's actually only 187 hours, about 30 of those on my first slot. I then started over again with a female character, 'cause you know, she's female and all. Plus, I'm playing on 3DS, so no real multiplayer...yet. Still waiting for my wife to finish her 2* quests and get Cha-cha. We did do a couple of Harvest Tours, though.

Boogiepop

Use whatever you like; 3 people is more than enough to take down any monster no matter what kind of weapons you are using and you will just sour your experience with the game if you force yourself to use a weapon you don't really like for potentially hundreds of hours.

I could never get into hammers but I did pick up the gunlance when I went back and played Freedom Unite. I have no idea how viable it is in 3U but I think that the awesomeness of an exploding-bullets shooting lance outweighs any potential setbacks. Also going from an evade based play style (I use swax and GS in 3U) to a defence based one was a nice change of pace for me. So unless you hunted with S&S you should give the lances a try.

I actually was leaning towards lances, but I think I may give hammer a serious shot after all. I hadn't tried them much before in the past, but knocking Barroth's head off and making stunning things like crazy was pretty fun.

Anyone have any tips for hammer users? Any particular hammers/armor I should be aiming for, for that matter?

Manbig

Might want to consider adding focus

If you use the Lagia X armor it comes with focus, awaken and weakness exploit and it's just perfect for the kelbi bow once you gem normal shot up and bomber (has the debuff status attack down but you can gem that out too)

I'll give that set a shot. Anyone want to farm some G rank Lagiacrus online?

also

Banned
Actually, I got a question, how do armor spheres work?
Is there a limit?

Yes, there's a limit to how many times you can upgrade a piece of armor. You will also need to use better and better types of spheres as you upgrade. Note that some only become available in High/G rank.

Stoof

Would anyone be available for some of the G-Rank quests a little later? They're getting a little hard for my girlfriend and I to handle. Got killed by Brachy yesterday :(

GeekyDad

Got my Uragaan S armor with Tremor resist gemmed in and a Slime LS and hammer. I think I'm set for most of the rest of high rank. Weeeeeeeeeeeeee...

ohlawd

are Lances inferior to Gunlances in damage output? I tried using a GL once in Portable 3rd and didn't know what the heck I was doing. The tutorial was still in Japanese. I can YT but nah.

I feel like I'm the only Lance user online >_> Old habits die hard.

Manbig

Just DCed from the lobby... Dunno if that's just me, or it randomly drops everyone like that. Suck when that happens though.

Manbig

Sorry it was me :/ My internet decided it was a good time to drop out.

Ahh, okay. That actually happens to me fairly often, but I wasn't sure if it was the host DCing/leaving or just the servers kicking everyone out randomly. Are you gonna remake the room?

Stoof

Ahh, okay. That actually happens to me fairly often, but I wasn't sure if it was the host DCing/leaving or just the servers kicking everyone out randomly. Are you gonna remake the room?

Yeah I just remade it, same place same pass!

Kyzon

I'd like to do some derping for a while since my friends vanished from skype ;_;

Anyone on with a free slot in their room?

upandaway

are Lances inferior to Gunlances in damage output? I tried using a GL once in Portable 3rd and didn't know what the heck I was doing. The tutorial was still in Japanese. I can YT but nah.

I feel like I'm the only Lance user online >_> Old habits die hard.
It highly depends on your playstyle with lances, but it can get pretty dang high. They aren't inferior to gunlances at all, though it might be easier to hit the higher DPS levels with a long gunlance.

Stoof

I'd like to do some derping for a while since my friends vanished from skype ;_;

Anyone on with a free slot in their room?
Not sure if XDDX disconnected or left, but we may have an open spot. Free C, Lobby 10, pass: mh4u if you still want to join

ohlawd

It highly depends on your playstyle with lances, but it can get pretty dang high. They aren't inferior to gunlances at all, though it might be easier to hit the higher DPS levels with a long gunlance.
I turtle my way to large monsters, covering many a kilometer in my wake.

nah, just kidding. Just the opposite, actually. Gotta abuse dat counter.

upandaway

I turtle my way to large monsters, covering many a kilometer in my wake.

nah, just kidding. Just the opposite, actually. Gotta abuse dat counter.
Counters are really important, but an evasion heavy playstyle is still king. A counter is only better than evading if you actually hit with it it, otherwise it's the worst option short of getting hit (evade > guard > counter).

Still, you can pretty much use counter as a guard/evade the whole time with no issues aside from DPS, and the same is true for guarding and evading, it's part of why the lance has such a big variety of playstyles. Hitting the high DPS is all about picking between them depending on the situation. High emphasis on evading with evasion+2 because of the above.

Confused about the 'Item Pouch', not sure why it says Gunner and then Blade, is there a difference?

When I deposit stuff sometimes I'm not sure where to look for it, just feel confused.

You will be using the “Gunner pouch” if you equip a
1I4UkS3.png
Light bowgun,
FovYepV.png
Heavy bowgun or
Tt3yh3v.png
Bow. This pouch has one extra page (= 8 extra slots):
1391411937-ammo-coatings-gunner-pouch.jpg

because gunners need to bring ammos / coatings, unlike blademasters who basically only need Whetstones. It was created in order not to disadvantage gunners and to save you time – you don't have to switch multiple items if you want to switch between a blademaster and a gunner weapon. You just automatically switch pouches.

Manbig

Thanks for the help guys, got a lot of quests done!

No problem, boss. Was fun!

So yeah, about that underwater dragonator vs Miralis, I tend to stay away from trying to lure him there unless he's on all fours and already looking in that direction. If he's standing around, he tends to move around randomly and just chuck fireballs. It's just a giant waste of time trying to lure him where we could be doing a buttload of regular damage on him instead. That's why I was ignoring using that one.

Sora_N

You will be using the “Gunner pouch” if you equip a
1I4UkS3.png
Light bowgun,
FovYepV.png
Heavy bowgun or
Tt3yh3v.png
Bow. This pouch has one extra page (= 8 extra slots):
1391411937-ammo-coatings-gunner-pouch.jpg

because gunners need to bring ammos / coatings, unlike blademasters who basically only need Whetstones. It was created in order not to disadvantage gunners and to save you time – you don't have to switch multiple items if you want to switch between a blademaster and a gunner weapon. You just automatically switch pouches.

That makes sense, thanks!

Wiseblade

Counters are really important, but an evasion heavy playstyle is still king. A counter is only better than evading if you actually hit with it it, otherwise it's the worst option short of getting hit (evade > guard > counter).

Still, you can pretty much use counter as a guard/evade the whole time with no issues aside from DPS, and the same is true for guarding and evading, it's part of why the lance has such a big variety of playstyles. Hitting the high DPS is all about picking between them depending on the situation. High emphasis on evading with evasion+2 because of the above.
I knew there was a reason Nargacuga armour had me drooling at the mouth.

ohlawd

I don't have a set with evasion. In Tri, yeah I was pretty good lancing with this random mish mash with evade +1, sharpness +1. I'm out of practice tho.

We need evade +2 now? that added only a negligible amount of invincibility frames back then.

tuffy

You should see what they do to the super sized monsters
Crouch firing lots of shot is great against the big sluggish boss monsters (Ceadeus, Jhen, etc.), especially when there's lots of other people contributing shot of their own. I've seen Miralis beaten this way before he even gets out of the water. But against more typical targets, it's hard to stop them long enough to make a 20-30 shot barrage worthwhile - especially solo.

Top Bottom