• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

chualie

I bought a 3DSXL mainly for this game. First day I bought it I played 5 hours with my friends.

I can only play with dual blades though. The larger weapons are too slow

Ken

Man, everytime I switch to my gunner equipment set, I run around for a few seconds and go back to blademaster because ammo management blows my mind.

GeekyDad

It doesn't happen often, but there's nothing like getting swatted off the cliff in 7 of the Flooded Forest right after you laid down a pitfall trap.

Korigama

Decided to focus on Gunlance for a bit as a change of pace from my usual of Long Sword and Switch Axe. It's been serving me well.

upandaway

Did most of the solo arenas today (only have SA on Rathalos and all of Nargacuga left). That definitely got some of the rust out of me.

The S-Rank limit might as well be the time limit with how lenient it is, but oh well. The arena is a really good place to practice the bow.

O D I N

Decided to focus on Gunlance for a bit as a change of pace from my usual of Long Sword and Switch Axe. It's been serving me well.

Gunlance is the weapon I started with. I'm moving into Switch Axe to mix it up for myself.

I've used pretty much every weapon now. My favorites being HBG, GL, HH, and LS.

Sword and Shield can be fun, particularly with an Awakened Dirty Graf.

ohlawd

man it's hard playing BD when all I can think about is MH.

gonna be a long week or two before I get back into the grind.

I just had my first Barroth fight

I blow through ten mega potions, twelve whetstones, two faints, and the majority of my final lifebar. There are less than five minutes on the clock Barroth swings his tail, and reduces my health to a fraction of a sliver. He charges at me again and... WOOSH, a minor heal from Cha-Cha! I summon my final dredges of tenacity and smash the ever-loving fuck out of its skull with my bone hammer, and with a glorious thud the beast falls dead.

My heart was racing after that one. Of course, only afterwards did I look up Barroth's damage chart and find out that his skull is the most defensive part of his body :p No wonder the fight gave me such difficulty! I aimed for the head 100% of the time, because I figured impact weapons would have the best effect there (whereas I would have tried going for his midriff if I had a blade). Time to start reading those charts before every new monster I suppose, because I would have raged hard if the bastard took me out or the timer ran dry.

XDDX

I just had my first Barroth fight

I blow through ten mega potions, twelve whetstones, two faints, and the majority of my final lifebar. There are less than five minutes on the clock Barroth swings his tail, and reduces my health to a fraction of a sliver. He charges at me again and... WOOSH, a minor heal from Cha-Cha! I summon my final dredges of tenacity and smash the ever-loving fuck out of its skull with my bone hammer, and with a glorious thud the beast falls dead.

My heart was racing after that one. Of course, only afterwards did I look up Barroth's damage chart and find out that his skull is the most defensive part of his body :p No wonder the fight gave me such difficulty! I aimed for the head 100% of the time, because I figured impact weapons would have the best effect there (whereas I would have tried going for his midriff if I had a blade). Time to start reading those charts before every new monster I suppose, because I would have raged hard if the bastard took me out or the timer ran dry.
Barroth is pretty challenging the first time. I was stuck on it for a while on the original Tri but it's all part of the fun. Once you figure it out, you learn a lot of the basics from that fight.

Shengar

I just spent last evening wikiwalk Monster Hunter wiki, and holy shit how do you suppose to defeat creature such as Jhen Mohran o_O

Barroth is pretty challenging the first time. I was stuck on it for a while on the original Tri but it's all part of the fun. Once you figure it out, you learn a lot of the basics from that fight.

Argh it was downright horrible for a newcomer in Tri due to its constant charges with almost no recoil time. I suffered a lot :x

I just spent last evening wikiwalk Monster Hunter wiki, and holy shit how do you suppose to defeat creature such as Jhen Mohran o_O
It's a big sandbag that will not attack you much, evasion/block-wise it's an “easy” fight as you'll spend most of the time spamming attacks mindlessly. You actually have more chances of losing because of Jhen destroying the ship rather than killing you!

It's more like an event than a normal hunt. You have to work as a team to damage him little by little, while preventing him from destroying the ship by using onboard weapons (cannons, dragonator, gong, harpoons, etc.). It's pretty fun and feels awesome the first time you take him down.

Shengar

Argh it was downright horrible for a newcomer in Tri due to its constant charges with almost no recoil time. I suffered a lot :x

It's a big sandbag that will not attack you much, evasion/block-wise it's an “easy” fight as you'll spend most of the time spamming attacks mindlessly. You actually have more chances of losing because of Jhen destroying the ship rather than killing you!

It's more like an event than a normal hunt. You have to work as a team to damage him little by little, while preventing him from destroying the ship by using onboard weapons (cannons, dragonator, gong, harpoons, etc.). It's pretty fun and feels awesome the first time you take him down.

I guess as much as its only avaliable online on Monster Hunter Tri. But still that size though.

Anyway, what's the hardest monster to take down in your hunting experience so far? I would like to know from Monster Hunter veteran here.

I guess as much as its only avaliable online on Monster Hunter Tri. But still that size though.

Anyway, what's the hardest monster to take down in your hunting experience so far? I would like to know from Monster Hunter veteran here.

Probably Savage Deviljho or Stygian Zinogre. Mostly because they're hard to hammer in the head.

Korigama

Gunlance is the weapon I started with. I'm moving into Switch Axe to mix it up for myself.

I've used pretty much every weapon now. My favorites being HBG, GL, HH, and LS.

Sword and Shield can be fun, particularly with an Awakened Dirty Graf.

It's one of the most fun weapons because of its high combo malleability
It is rather satisfying. Still need to try out the ranged weapons (haven't used the Bow since the demo), with Hunting Horn being the only melee weapon I haven't used at all yet. Just upgraded to an Iron Grace for Long Sword, made a Wild Axe, and upgraded to a Jaggid Gunlance in the meantime.

Not sure if there's been any discussion of the "cursed" charm tables recently. Was able to found out that I hadn't ended up with one, but I wouldn't have been happy to hit a dead end after finding out too late if I had.

To elaborate for anyone unaware of the issue, it's something that affects both the 3DS and Wii U versions of the game. When you first create a character, the game automatically assigns him or her one of 17 possible charm tables, the one assigned being unchangeable. The twelve normal tables offer over 20,000 different charms each, which ones they lean more toward depending on which one you landed (some could be general, some more geared toward melee or ranged, etc.). The five cursed tables, however, only offer about 200-800 each. Furthermore, winding up with one of these cursed tables could make it impossible to find rustshards later in the game. This is important because some equipment (weapons and armor alike) is impossible to make without them.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
man it's hard playing BD when all I can think about is MH.

gonna be a long week or two before I get back into the grind.

You'll likely lose that urge by chapter 5 .

Damn this Rathalos freaking undodgeable scream followed by poison tail followed stun by grab which the game doesn't freaking even explain in any obvious way followed by death. even if I dodge almost his attacks a variation of that combo still gets me.

O D I N

It is rather satisfying. Still need to try out the ranged weapons (haven't used the Bow since the demo), with Hunting Horn being the only melee weapon I haven't used at all yet. Just upgraded to an Iron Grace for Long Sword, made a Wild Axe, and upgraded to a Jaggid Gunlance in the meantime.

Not sure if there's been any discussion of the "cursed" charm tables recently. Was able to found out that I hadn't ended up with one, but I wouldn't have been happy to hit a dead end after finding out too late if I had.

To elaborate for anyone unaware of the issue, it's something that affects both the 3DS and Wii U versions of the game. When you first create a character, the game automatically assigns him or her one of 17 possible charm tables, the one assigned being unchangeable. The twelve normal tables offer over 20,000 different charms each, which ones they lean more toward depending on which one you landed (some could be general, some more geared toward melee or ranged, etc.). The five cursed tables, however, only offer about 200-800 each. Furthermore, winding up with one of these cursed tables could make it impossible to find rustshards later in the game. This is important because some equipment (weapons and armor alike) is impossible to make without them.

What charm table are you on?

I ended up on 1. Which isn't bad, but not great. I have a few decent charms (+10 Artillery for starters. And a +3 Ev. Dist and +9 Artillery), but nothing like charm table 10.

Damn this Rathalos freaking undodgeable scream followed by poison tail followed stun by grab which the game doesn't freaking even in any obvious way followed by death. even if I dodge almost his attacks a variation of that combo still gets me.

What I hate is when he's floating in the air, and does his stupid Commando Lunge to poison me. The bastard is on the other side of the zone, and then zoom, shank, poisoned. Of course, while I'm trying to heal...

DaBoss

Hardest monsters for me would probably be Silver Los, Gold Ian, Ivory Lagi, and Lucent Cuga. They would just be a battle of endurance for me. I can't play online so I would have to solo them. If I were to try and put effort into them I know I would be able to solo them, but I don't feel the reward is worth the effort.

upandaway

Hardest monsters for me would probably be Silver Los, Gold Ian, Ivory Lagi, and Lucent Cuga. They would just be a battle of endurance for me. I can't play online so I would have to solo them. If I were to try and put effort into them I know I would be able to solo them, but I don't feel the reward is worth the effort.
Eh, the Raths are possible solo. Each one took me around 22 min I think, which is fine. Both of them together is nuts, though.

I.Lagi and Lucent, I wouldn't dare to solo. I'd just time out.

tuffy

Ivory Lagi isn't too hard to bowgun. Just keep delivering lots of rapid-fire flame shot to his back spines. Though it helps to have Evade Extender to dodge his electrified charges and wide area lightning breath attack.

I've heard the infamous Kelbi bow works well for Lucent Narga, though I've never tried it personally.

DaBoss

I never tried it, I'm just assuming based on the YouTube vids that guy posted. I think his username is icedmannoob.

Anura

Ivory Lagi isn't too hard to bowgun. Just keep delivering lots of rapid-fire flame shot to his back spines. Though it helps to have Evade Extender to dodge his electrified charges and wide area lightning breath attack.

I've heard the infamous Kelbi bow works well for Lucent Narga, though I've never tried it personally.

Bowgun also works really well on G&S. The wings and head are very weak to element damage. The Alatreon bow is also very good for I. Lagi with its pierce dragon arrows doing great damage on either his head/neck/back or his tail/back and both are very easy to keep a lock on.

L. Narga is a pain and while you're right that Kelbi bow is very good and perhaps the best on him it is also very boring, lol. Slime and evade+ is in general the best way to kill him whether it be the Kelbi bow or Brachy weapons .

ohlawd

lol commando lunge. Perfect.

I don't know what table I'm on but if I managed to get a Evasion +6 charm with one slot, it can't be bad.

Damn this Rathalos freaking undodgeable scream followed by poison tail followed stun by grab which the game doesn't freaking even explain in any obvious way followed by death. even if I dodge almost his attacks a variation of that combo still gets me.
no man don't say that ;_;

I don't know what table I'm on but if I managed to get a Evasion +6 charm with one slot, it can't be bad.

Yeah I just checked, you cannot get any 1-slot Evasion +6 charm on cursed tables, so you've got a regular table.

Furthermore, winding up with one of these cursed tables could make it impossible to find rustshards later in the game. This is important because some equipment (weapons and armor alike) is impossible to make without them.

*Rusted Fragments, not Rustshards. They're required for Artian, Dianthus/Campanile and Artian X armors.

Anura

Yeah I just checked, you cannot get any 1-slot Evasion +6 charm on cursed tables, so you've got a regular table.

*Rusted Fragments, not Rustshards. They're required for Artian, Dianthus/Campanile and Artian X armors.

This is an important distinction to make, considering one only has mediocre weapons and the other makes incredible armor for mixing

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I decided to go for table 10 on a whim when I first started and it ended up working out great. It's really more important to get a table that has good charms in general rather than a specific one you want though, because charm sniping for specific charms is possibly the worst thing you can force yourself to do for any game ever (took me 2 full days to get a sharpness+5 edgemaster+3).

Anura

I decided to go for table 10 on a whim when I first started and it ended up working out great. It's really more important to get a table that has good charms in general rather than a specific one you want though, because charm sniping for specific charms is possibly the worst thing you can force yourself to do for any game ever (took me 2 full days to get a sharpness+5 edgemaster+3).

It took me an hour or less to get my expert+10 reload+4

I *lurb* this game. 20 hours in and I just finished the final three star quest. It feels like I've only played five hours... time just flies in this game. It is excellence on a cart, and I can't wait to be able to play with other GAFfers when MH4 hits.

I tried the switch Axe for the first time today too... I had read somewhere that it is the best cutting weapon for hammer users (which I am), and I really liked it, but I was confused about what the two "modes" of the axe do. When should I use the R button to switch, and is a hammer/axe setup a good balance? I've tried every weapon now except for the ranged ones, and hammer is by far my favorite, but it can't cut off tails. The dual sword was my second favorite before trying the axe, but the damage is so much lower on that one and the axes play style feels similar to the hammer's (in terms of weight and precision)

I'm just not sure how equalized this game is with its weapon handling... which is to say, I don't know if switching axe modes with the R button has any meaningful effect or if they just threw it in to make the weapon "feel" different, even if it doesn't substantially alter strategy.

XDDX

I *lurb* this game. 20 hours in and I just finished the final three star quest. It feels like I've only played five hours... time just flies in this game. It is excellence on a cart, and I can't wait to be able to play with other GAFfers when MH4 hits.

I tried the switch Axe for the first time today too... I had read somewhere that it is the best cutting weapon for hammer users (which I am), and I really liked it, but I was confused about what the two "modes" of the axe do. When should I use the R button to switch, and is a hammer/axe setup a good balance? I've tried every weapon now except for the ranged ones, and hammer is by far my favorite, but it can't cut off tails. The dual sword was my second favorite before trying the axe, but the damage is so much lower on that one and the axes play style feels similar to the hammer's (in terms of weight and precision)

I'm just not sure how equalized this game is with its weapon handling... which is to say, I don't know if switching axe modes with the R button has any meaningful effect or if they just threw it in to make the weapon "feel" different, even if it doesn't substantially alter strategy.
Switch axe is great for cutting. It has the range to cut the tail of pretty much every monster in the game, unlike a lot of the other weapons. The sword mode is really good because it gives you the mind's eye skill which means your weapon wont bounce off parts it would normally bounce off if you were using the axe mode. It's also the fastest way to cut things. I personally use the sword mode the most as you can go directly into it by pressing R and X, but the axe mode has some good combos and reach too, so just learn from experience.

kasane

Just started but is the diablos sword still here? Mainly used it from mhfu to p3d because i dunno i just love it for some reason.

Top Bottom