• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

upandaway

I don't have a set with evasion In Tri, yeah I was pretty good lancing with this random mish mash with evade +1, sharpness +1. I'm out of practice tho.

We need evade +2 now? that added only a negligible amount of invincibility frames back then.
I always see +2 when looking at the sets in speedruns, but I never cared enough to make a distinction. I think you might need +2 for Brachy explosions and some charges but don't quote me on it

Manbig

What ranged weapon is the best for a newcomer?

I would argue Bow because of the mobility and ease of use. Outside of trying to aim for monster weakpoints, it mostly involves you just holding the charge button and running around while looking for an opening. You can cancel the charge into a roll for those sticky situations. The only time it can really get tough is when you have to aim shots higher for flying enemies. Honestly, the control scheme for those situations are far less than stellar. Everything else is quite straight forward though.

Anura

Crouch firing lots of shot is great against the big sluggish boss monsters (Ceadeus, Jhen, etc.), especially when there's lots of other people contributing shot of their own. I've seen Miralis beaten this way before he even gets out of the water. But against more typical targets, it's hard to stop them long enough to make a 20-30 shot barrage worthwhile - especially solo.

I meant HBG as a whole

Wiseblade

Anyone up for some hunts in about 2 hours from now? Preferably G rank but I don't mind helping out with LR or HR either.
I'm in. Hopefully this time I won't randomly disconnect.

Seriously though, my MH3U online experience has been plagued with bad luck. Monsters either target me exclusively, myself or other party members disconnect at key moments or the police come knocking at my door.

I'm in. Hopefully this time I won't randomly disconnect.

Seriously though, my MH3U online experience has been plagued with bad luck. Monsters either target me exclusively, myself or other party members disconnect at key moments or the police come knocking at my door.

Be glad it's not PETA that comes knocking :p

ohlawd

woah Wii U froze while playing online.

man gotta look for another Icy Agnaktor room :(
I just wanna upgrade my lance mmk?!

Anura

Any room left for someone who totally forgot to keep track of the time?

Edit: Actually I have to go do something now... Next time I guess

Urgh, I just ran into my first wall with the game. I was doing the Playing With Fire quest (a lonely 3-star affair where you hunt your first Qurupeco), and he rocked me my first attempt. "Okay," I thought... "I was drunk when I tried it, so I'll probably do better sober."

Cut to this morning, I attempt it again, and the fucking time limit runs out on me. "Okay... the hammer I've been using IS slow, and Qurupeco does have some quick and sporadic movements...", so I changed to the dual blades and tried it again.

I DID end up beating him, while only fainting once, but I only had around 8 minutes left to spare. It was more frustrating than anything else, because if I had that much trouble on what is assuredly such a piss-easy quest compared to some of the later monsters in the game, I can't imagine how shitty it will be when the timer clocks out on me because I wasn't able to whittle away the monstrous HP reserves of whatever creature I'm hunting. Fifty minutes is a hell of a lot of time to spend playing a game in order to walk away with literally zero progress.

I've yet to experiment with additional damage dealing items like bombs, or even traps (apart from ones where you are required to capture the monster), but I'm assuming a bomb would do... what, the equivalent damage of getting three swings in with my hammer? Hardly seems like it would make that big of a difference in the overall strategy

EDIT: The other issue I had with Qurupeco specifically was that so many spots that I would hit him on wouldn't cause damage, but can't monsters break apart in this game? For example, if I had kept attacking the front of his wings (which were protected), is there a chance the protective shell might chip off?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Just properly started the game but... Holy shit Qurupeco. Almost never have I wanted a boss to die that badly. That annoying ass bitch kept summoning a dragon to save it's behind a bunch of other annoying crap. It was sooo sweet and arduous to finally kill him.

Urgh, I just ran into my first wall with the game. I was doing the Playing With Fire quest (a lonely 3-star affair where you hunt your first Qurupeco), and he rocked me my first attempt. "Okay," I thought... "I was drunk when I tried it, so I'll probably do better sober."

Cut to this morning, I attempt it again, and the fucking time limit runs out on me. "Okay... the hammer I've been using IS slow, and Qurupeco does have some quick and sporadic movements...", so I changed to the dual blades and tried it again.

I DID end up beating him, while only fainting once, but I only had around 8 minutes left to spare. It was more frustrating than anything else, because if I had that much trouble on what is assuredly such a piss-easy quest compared to some of the later monsters in the game, I can't imagine how shitty it will be when the timer clocks out on me because I wasn't able to whittle away the monstrous HP reserves of whatever creature I'm hunting. Fifty minutes is a hell of a lot of time to spend playing a game in order to walk away with literally zero progress.

I've yet to experiment with additional damage dealing items like bombs, or even traps (apart from ones where you are required to capture the monster), but I'm assuming a bomb would do... what, the equivalent damage of getting three swings in with my hammer? Hardly seems like it would make that big of a difference in the overall strategy

EDIT: The other issue I had with Qurupeco specifically was that so many spots that I would hit him on wouldn't cause damage, but can't monsters break apart in this game? For example, if I had kept attacking the front of his wings (which were protected), is there a chance the protective shell might chip off?

Your weapons not up to snuff I'm new and even I can tell you that. You should be able to kill him with a fair amount of time left.

Oh yeah I forgot about break offs, fun times should probably use bombs more.

also

Banned

You are not the first one to have troubles with Qurupeco since it's the first monster that teaches you the importance of sharpness and targeting specific body parts. Not to mention his annoying summoning of other monsters...

I don't have the exact numbers but big bombs(+) do hep quite a bit, especially on lower ranks. They do a fixed amount of damage so it doesn't matter where they explode as long as they hit the monster. Traps are also good but if you repeatedly use the same kind of trap it will be less effective; the monster will break free sooner. If you are having a hard time don't hesitate to bring these with you.

You can break monster parts; you can break Qurupeco's beak and both flint stones on the front of his wings.
Check the wiki for breakable parts and damage charts.

Your weapons not up to snuff. I'm new and even I can tell you that. You should be able to kill him with a fair amount of time left.

Oh yeah I forgot about break offs, fun times should probably use bombs more.
I don't know man... I was using the bone hammer and bone scythes (i.e. not just the vanilla equipment you start with), and I went through at least seven or eight whetstones. I don't have higher level equipment unlocked to forge, so I don't think my weapons were the problem.

You are not the first one to have troubles with Qurupeco since it's the first monster that teaches you the importance of sharpness and targeting specific body parts. Not to mention his annoying summoning of other monsters...

I don't have the exact numbers but big bombs(+) do hep quite a bit, especially on lower ranks. They do a fixed amount of damage so it doesn't matter where they explode as long as they hit the monster. Traps are also good but if you repeatedly use the same kind of trap it will be less effective; the monster will break free sooner. If you are having a hard time don't hesitate to bring these with you.

You can break monster parts; you can break Qurupeco's beak and both flint stones on the front of his wings.
Check the wiki for breakable parts and damage charts.
I can't believe this is my first time seeing the Monster Hunter wiki. Why didn't I think of checking there before?! I'm sure it will be a great resource, thanks man.

As far as bombs... do you just set them down and hope the monster runs into it, or is it an actual thrown item?

Vire

I don't know man... I was using the bone hammer and bone scythes (i.e. not just the vanilla equipment you start with), and I went through at least seven or eight whetstones. I don't have higher level equipment unlocked to forge, so I don't think my weapons were the problem.

I can't believe this is my first time seeing the Monster Hunter wiki. Why didn't I think of checking there before?! I'm sure it will be a great resource, thanks man.

As far as bombs... do you just set them down and hope the monster runs into it, or is it an actual thrown item?

You put the barrels down and you can use small bombs to blow them up on a timer or throw a paintball or stone at them would work too. When you are using them for the first time I would advise you to use a pitfall trap then drop the bombs right where his beak is and then blow them up.

As other people mentioned it is very important to have enough sharpness to not bounce off of him with your weapons. If you are going to use hammers you are going to have to hit his head otherwise you are going to be doing very little damage.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

I used second upgrade katana, and finished it within 30 mins while abusing the katanas's special ability during the birds call. What's your attack on the weapon?

Anyway I'm purposefully avoiding things like the wiki, since I'm forced to play solo, it seems more fun to me just to discover most of the stuff myself.

ohkay

In addition to what other people are saying, dung bombs and sonic bombs are your friends against Qurupeco. If you catch it with a sonic bomb while it's calling a monster or healing, then the call/heal won't happen. If an extra monster does show up, hit it with a dung bomb and it should change areas.

Edit: for the hammer, try to get as many fully charged shots as possible. Qurupeco isn't super fast, and rolling is normally enough to dodge his attacks, so I normally keep my weapon out, charge an attack and wait for an opening. If there is none, you can just roll out of the charge (just make sure you have enough stamina to do so).

Steamrolling through the 4* village quests thanks to having a full set of Wroggi armor. Razor Sharp is such a handy skill. I want to farm Gigginox so I can upgrade to Blood Wings, but I'm not looking forward to repeating that fight.

also

Banned

NP. Here are some more useful links that DaBoss compiled. You should also read up on charm tables if you plan to spend a lot of time with the game and enjoy min/maxing stuff.

In addition to what Vire said, monsters also detonate bombs when using certain attacks. Case in point, when Qurupeco smashes his flint stones together, he will detonate any nearby bombs so it's quite easy to blow him up. Be careful not to be caught in the explosions because bombs hurt A LOT when your armor is still weak.

NP. Here are some more useful links that DaBoss compiled. You should also read up on charm tables if you plan to spend a lot of time with the game and enjoy min/maxing stuff.

In addition to what Vire said, monsters also detonate bombs when using certain attacks. Case in point, when Qurupeco smashes his flint stones together, he will detonate any nearby bombs so it's quite easy to blow him up. Be careful not to be caught in the explosions because bombs hurt A LOT when your armor is still weak.

Oh damn, I had already forgotten about the charm tables. That was some stupid shit you had to do to get the best one (10 I think?) and to check if you actually got it.

also

Banned
Oh damn, I had already forgotten about the charm tables. That was some stupid shit you had to do to get the best one (10 I think?) and to check if you actually got it.
I remember that the sites you use to check the tables were overloaded when the game launched in the West and how furiously I refreshed until I finally got through. What were they thinking?

Da fuqqqqq, why have I never seen anything on charm tables?

Because people try to forget they excist... The first days after launch everyone was busy trying to get the best charm table, while they aren't even that important. Just don't break your head over them now, it's really not worth it.

Btw, are they back in MH4?

Anura

Because people try to forget they excist... The first days after launch everyone was busy trying to get the best charm table, while they aren't even that important. Just don't break your head over them now, it's really not worth it.

Btw, are they back in MH4?

They're back in 4 for sure but not the stuck on tables I think. There are randomized weapons from super ultra hard quests now too

Doombear

... and can't you now combine charms or upgrade them or something along those lines? Making tables and sniping a non-issue? I could have sworn I remember reading that somewhere, but I really haven't seen the amount of info for 4 that I expected to see over the last many months.

Anura

... and can't you now combine charms or upgrade them or something along those lines? Making tables and sniping a non-issue? I could have sworn I remember reading that somewhere, but I really haven't seen the amount of info for 4 that I expected to see over the last many months.

Kind of... You can use 3 old charms to make a random set of new ones. You always get more than 3 and rarity is based on what kind of charms you put it. It is actually reall cool because now you can simply ditch all those garbage charms you will never need for potentially better ones

XDDX

Anyone up for some G rank hunts? Made a room in Free C lobby 9. Password is 'gaf'.

Will be afk for a little bit while it fills up.

Doombear

Kind of... You can use 3 old charms to make a random set of new ones. You always get more than 3 and rarity is based on what kind of charms you put it. It is actually reall cool because now you can simply ditch all those garbage charms you will never need for potentially better ones

Oh I like that. I like that a lot. I have a just... stupid amount of charms that I have no reason to be keeping in 3U. I just, I am a charm hoarder! Maybe I will need that +8 Flame Aura sometime, who can really say?!

Anura

Oh I like that. I like that a lot. I have a just... stupid amount of charms that I have no reason to be keeping in 3U. I just, I am a charm hoarder! Maybe I will need that +8 Flame Aura sometime, who can really say?!

Lol yeah I am like that too

Stoof

Going to be opening up a room soon if anyone wants to help out with some HR 7 quests. Will be in Free C, Lobby 10, pass: mh4u. I'll edit/post when I have it up!

Anteo

Played 144 hours.
Still in HR4
Sigh
Now to toss a coin to decide if I want to play dota or MH. Or game in my backlog

Top Bottom