• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Shengar

My only gripe is that the CPP second analog just works like the d-pad: no analog aiming.
Does anyone know if MH4 changed this?

For this is the reason why the combat feel so clunky, perfomance-wise. The actual combat gameplay is really good though, I just wished that Capcom would put more effort for actual analog camera control :/

Anura

For this is the reason why the combat feel so clunky, perfomance-wise. The actual combat gameplay is really good though, I just wished that Capcom would put more effort for actual analog camera control :/

So I got this game (for 3DS) during the sale recently and immediately started regretting my purchase. The combat felt really unresponsive, the controls were unintuitive and the missions were really boring.

Fast forward to a few days later and I'm completely hooked. I have no idea how it happened. I still think the combat is unnecessarily clunky, but I'm loving the Greatsword and how satisfying it is to land a Lv3 charge as a monster lunges by. Farming monsters for parts to make an awesome set of armor is surprisingly not tedious so far (and I have yet to even think about skills, charms, and all of that other stuff). I'm even having fun with underwater combat (though I am using a CPP).

My only gripe is that the CPP second analog just works like the d-pad: no analog aiming.
Does anyone know if MH4 changed this?

Also, I'm diving into the five-star village quests soon. Any Greatsword users have any tips or weapon/armor recommendations that I should keep in mind?

I'm currently rocking these equipment sets:
Full set of upgraded Wroggi armor and a Lagiacrus Blade.
Full set of upgraded Jaggi armor and a Ravager.

MH 4 has a free camera if that's what you mean. You can look up and down freely without it being stuck on those preset altitudes

OmegaZero

Yes MH4 has free camera angles.

Awesome, thanks. Does this apply to aiming ranged weapons as well?

people calling the combat "clunky" is kind of a pet peeve of mine, but anyway, I think the combat is well refined, and not clunky. The Great Sword is a very slow and cumbersome weapon, thats how its designed. The main strategy is to sheathe up when you can't hit the monster, and not to try to move around with the weapon out. Other weapons like the dual swords, hammer, SnS, Long sword have fluid combat, but again the combat is very refined so that you always have to be looking for an opening, or aware of when to dodge, and when to persist in your combo

Tbh I'm not sure how else I'd describe the combat. Maybe "deliberate". :b
I can appreciate the reasons behind the choices they made (hunters are just humans in the end, not ninjas or half-demons) but in practice it feels off coming from games like DMC or Ninja Gaiden. I'm sure I'll get adjusted by the time I hit G-rank (or at least, I hope I will). My main irk is that when comboing, you can't adjust your aim despite the fact that bosses seem to do it all the time - which often results in me "comboing" past what I was aiming for if the target moves even slightly (though to be honest this is mainly with the Sword and Shield. I don't know if other weapons allow for this).

Anyway, that sheathing strategy is basically how I've been playing since - as you implied - you move sooo slowly when the Greatsword is out. I've been mainly using that fast drawing slash into the side "slap" move, with the occasional charged slash when I feel I have time. I really like the range and power it has, while the slow speed forces me to (as you mentioned) constantly keep an eye out for openings or even predict them!

Something that's been tripping me up is how rolls work. Sometimes, I dodge through enemy attacks while other times, I get knocked away. Do rolls and side-steps even have invincibility frames?

EDIT:
MH 4 has a free camera if that's what you mean. You can look up and down freely without it being stuck on those preset altitudes

That sounds great, but I guess what I'm really looking for is confirmation on whether or not the CPP serves as a second analog stick. For example, when rotating the camera or aiming, the camera moves at a constant speed no matter how far I push the stick. And when using bowguns, I can't seem to aim diagonally.

Insaniac

I can appreciate the reasons behind the choices they made (hunters are just humans in the end, not ninjas or half-demons) but in practice it feels off coming from games like DMC or Ninja Gaiden. I'm sure I'll get adjusted by the time I hit G-rank (or at least, I hope I will). My main irk is that when comboing, you can't adjust your aim despite the fact that bosses seem to do it all the time - which often results in me "comboing" past what I was aiming for if the target moves even slightly (though to be honest this is mainly with the Sword and Shield. I don't know if other weapons allow for this).

Anyway, that sheathing strategy is basically how I've been playing since - as you implied - you move sooo slowly when the Greatsword is out. I've been mainly using that fast drawing slash into the side "slap" move, with the occasional charged slash when I feel I have time. I really like the range and power it has, while the slow speed forces me to (as you mentioned) constantly keep an eye out for openings or even predict them!

Something that's been tripping me up is how rolls work. Sometimes, I dodge through enemy attacks while other times, I get knocked away. Do rolls and side-steps even have invincibility frames?

EDIT:

That sounds great, but I guess what I'm really looking for is confirmation on whether or not the CPP serves as a second analog stick. For example, when rotating the camera or aiming, the camera moves at a constant speed no matter how far I push the stick. And when using bowguns, I can't seem to aim diagonally.

dodges to have invincibility frames, approximately .2 secs right when you initiate the dodge. evasion +1 ups it to about .33 sec and evasion +2 up to .5 Of course, the ability to dodge a monsters attack varies based on the attack. A majority of the "tail whip" attacks can be easily dodged through if you roll toward the tail. Other ones like when a monster charges at you are more difficult to dodge cause it has a larger more persistant hitbox

What you say about comboing past a monster, especially for the SnS, you can roll out of a combo early and then quickly reposition yourself. This is actually the SnS strength is that it can dodge roll out of almost any part of its combo, giving it great mobility, and evasive capabilities.

edit: about aiming with a bowgun, I can't say specifically in MH4 how the aiming works, but in MH3U the aiming is kinda weird. I was disappointed when I played Tri and couldn't aim with the wii remote

dodges to have invincibility frames, approximately .2 secs right when you initiate the dodge. evasion +1 ups it to about .33 sec and evasion +2 up to .5

Evasion +2 gives 0.4s invincibility period, hence why it is deemed not really interesting, skill point-wise, compared with Evasion +1.

ohlawd

you shouldn't compare MH to combotastic action games like DMC and NG. More like, what gave you idea they're even comparable?

Anura

EDIT:

Don't veiw this as a DMC style game, It isn't anything of the sort and it doesn't try to be. I also can't check the camera for you because I don't own a CPP... so sorry.

OmegaZero

dodges to have invincibility frames, approximately .2 secs right when you initiate the dodge. evasion +1 ups it to about .33 sec and evasion +2 up to .5 Of course, the ability to dodge a monsters attack varies based on the attack. A majority of the "tail whip" attacks can be easily dodged through if you roll toward the tail. Other ones like when a monster charges at you are more difficult to dodge cause it has a larger more persistant hitbox

What you say about comboing past a monster, especially for the SnS, you can roll out of a combo early and then quickly reposition yourself. This is actually the SnS strength is that it can dodge roll out of almost any part of its combo, giving it great mobility, and evasive capabilities.

edit: about aiming with a bowgun, I can't say specifically in MH4 how the aiming works, but in MH3U the aiming is kinda weird. I was disappointed when I played Tri and couldn't aim with the wii remote

Ah, that explains a lot. Thanks. So it's really more of a matter of positioning yourself away from hit boxes, instead of relying on the invincibility frames to save you. I'm assuming side-steps work similarly?
I've been using rolls to cancel the recovery animations for Greatsword slashes but never tried using it to reposition myself offensively. For the most part, I've been playing it pretty safe with a hit-and-run strategy. Can you roll-cancel with dual blades as well? I've been considering them since it seems like they're much more offensively-orientated then the Sword and Shield or bowgun.
Thanks again for the comprehensive answer.

you shouldn't compare MH to combotastic action games like DMC and NG. More like, what gave you idea they're even comparable?

Don't veiw this as a DMC style game, It isn't anything of the sort and it doesn't try to be. I also can't check the camera for you because I don't own a CPP... so sorry.

Bah, I'm honestly not trying to compare them. I probably should have worded it better, but I recently finished a DMC4 run before I jumped in to MH 3:U and the contrast between the two is just hard to get over for me at the moment. I appreciate what they're doing and the reasoning behind it, and I'm greatly enjoying the Greatsword despite it being one of the slowest classes. It's just a matter of me getting used to the combat in practice. :b

I should probably mention if it wasn't obvious that this is my first MH game. The closest things I've played that could compare to this are the Toukiden demo and God Eater Burst.

Anura

Ah, that explains a lot. Thanks. So it's really more of a matter of positioning yourself away from hit boxes, instead of relying on the invincibility frames to save you. I'm assuming side-steps work similarly?
I've been using rolls to cancel the recovery animations for Greatsword slashes but never tried using it to reposition myself offensively. For the most part, I've been playing it pretty safe with a hit-and-run strategy. Can you roll-cancel with dual blades as well? I've been considering them since it seems like they're much more offensively-orientated then the Sword and Shield or bowgun.

Bah, I'm honestly not trying to compare them. I probably should have worded it better, but I recently finished a DMC4 run before I jumped in to MH 3:U and the contrast between the two is just hard to get over for me at the moment. I appreciate what they're doing and the reasoning behind it, and I'm greatly enjoying the Greatsword despite it being one of the slowest classes. It's just a matter of me getting used to the combat in practice. :b

I should probably mention if it wasn't obvious that this is my first MH game. The closest things I've played that could compare to this are the Toukiden demo and God Eater Burst.

Rolls should generally used to position away from the monster and evading through attacks should be an option saved for desperation. However that is generally just for starting off and eventually you should start to feel comfortable with that tight timing and should get to know what monsters it's more effective on. For example Zinogre and Nargacuga (Narga especially) are very easy to roll through while things like Diablos and Alatreon are very difficult because of their wealth of lingering hitboxes. The frames change from that occasional lucky break into another helpful trick in the toolbox.

Also roll canceling can be generally done with every weapon and DS is generally pretty pretty tricky with it because the moves are all multi hit and seem to go on longer than you think. It also has a huge difference in what strings are safe and what ones seem to go on too long. Just got to memorize its attack patterns and figure it out.

Anteo

Well both the SnS and DS have so little cooldown on their attacks that when you rol you are mostly doing it for positioning. At some point in the string of hits, the last one will have 2 or 3 swipes, and you need to wait till it ends to cancel, otherwise every button you press should get you one swipe and be able to roll after that

Also, you could try to have 2 or 3 different types of weapons to fight monsters. It really depends on what you want as you are not locked to a particular class. I have SnS, Lance, Gunlance (needs upgrade now), Great Sword, Dual Sword, Long Sword and Switch Axe. I also have a bow and a few crossbow but I need new armor to use these.

I generally use Switch Axes but depending on the monster I use other weapons. For example I prefer fast weapons for monster that are super agresive like
Barioth
, otherwise I would use the Long Sword for enemies like
Heart Rathian

Shengar

Well I jumped in after playing Toukiden demo and how the camera work on ranged weapon really upset me :<

I think I will stick with long sword for most of the time. But as I read on earlier pages, long sword occasionally make your friends trip or something like that. What does that mean?

DaBoss

I think I will stick with long sword for most of the time. But as I read on earlier pages, long sword occasionally make your friends trip or something like that. What does that mean?
Sometimes attacks will hit other players and will cause them to get knocked back which can stop whatever they were doing. This is really common with Long Sword users since it has a lot of range and has you attacking fast.

You just need to maintain your distance from other players and not spam the sword gauge thing (I forget what it is called, sword dance maybe).

OmegaZero

Thanks for the tips, Anteo and Anura.
I think I'll stick with Greatsword as my "main" class and maybe use Dual Swords and the Hunting Horn for other situations.
How are Lances when compared to Gunlances overall? Which one is more offensively orientated? I feel like Gunlances are due to their shelling ability but they feel slower then lances...

I just started. This is my first MH. I swear there was a way to target enemies? Is it only for bigger type monsters? I pulled the target thing on my second screen but it doesn't seem to do anything. I'm playing it on the 3DS with the Circle Pad Pro type 2 setting if that helps.

Also, I remember on 8-4 Play Podcast that they always mention a friend who made an awesome guide to Monster Hunter, does anyone know what i'm talking about?

Anura

Thanks for the tips, Anteo and Anura.
I think I'll stick with Greatsword as my "main" class and maybe use Dual Swords and the Hunting Horn for other situations.
How are Lances when compared to Gunlances overall? Which one is more offensively orientated? I feel like Gunlances are due to their shelling ability but they feel slower then lances...

They look and almost appear to play similar but they are completely different beasts. GL is a ton more offensive orientated but it is also a rather difficult weapon to play let alone well. Lance is more defensive but you will actually be dealing out more hits overall. Lance needs to hug the monster and keep the pressure on and has the tools to do it rather well and for the gunlance should be doing the same but has much less tools to do so as effectively. A GL hugging the monster will always get better times than a lance doing the same

ohlawd

God Eater Burst is janky as fuck. Toukiden is nice tho, a true MH clone. I don't really think highly of MH derivatives since they fail so hard at trying to be different. Pls devs, just copy MH.

oh and Brachy-kun, gimme a gem and not a palium :(

XDDX

I just started. This is my first MH. I swear there was a way to target enemies? Is it only for bigger type monsters? I pulled the target thing on my second screen but it doesn't seem to do anything. I'm playing it on the 3DS with the Circle Pad Pro type 2 setting if that helps.

Also, I remember on 8-4 Play Podcast that they always mention a friend who made an awesome guide to Monster Hunter, does anyone know what i'm talking about?
I think they were talking about this (for MH4)

http://gaijinhunter.tumblr.com/

Also, you have to press L for the target camera.

Anura

God Eater Burst is janky as fuck. Toukiden is nice tho, a true MH clone. I don't really think highly of MH derivatives since they fail so hard at trying to be different. Pls devs, just copy MH.

oh and Brachy-kun, gimme a gem and not a palium :(

My issue with them is they always remove the depth that I enjoy and play MH for in the first place.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Finally am a HR1 now :D Hunted Quepaco, Rathian, Gobul and whatever that rabbit thing is with a friend on 3DS. Awesome experience ! Now it's time to spam hunt Rathian and get its armour set, haha

Shengar

My issue with them is they always remove the depth that I enjoy and play MH for in the first place.

They are relatively young compared to MH that already spanned 4 generation. Given sometime, they could develop some depth of their own.

Just... what a great freaking game this is. After having so much trouble with my first Quropeco battle, I was able to beat the unholy hell out of AND CAPTURE the Quropeco on my first try, without fainting, on the "Trapping a Trickster" quest. I followed it up with the first quest where you slaughter a Royal Ludroth, which I also beasted through without fainting.

It feels so excellent to do well on a quest. I'm still only half-way through the 3 star rank stuff too... how many quests are there? I have a feeling I have an insanely large portion of the game still ahead of me, and that's fantastic. Especially because the monster designs are SO GODDAM AWESOME. I can't wait to see what monstrosities I'm put against next.

Thanks again to this community for being so helpful! Your advice has certainly aided me through some tough spots early in the game, and I absolutely appreciate it :D

It feels so excellent to do well on a quest. I'm still only half-way through the 3 star rank stuff too... how many quests are there? I have a feeling I have an insanely large portion of the game still ahead of me, and that's fantastic. Especially because the monster designs are SO GODDAM AWESOME. I can't wait to see what monstrosities I'm put against next.

There are 119 Village quests (56 Low rank Village quests i.e. from 1-star &#9733; to 5&#9733;, 63 High rank Village quests i.e. 6&#9733; to 9&#9733;), 208 Port Tanzia quests and 28 free DLC quests.

I felt the same way finishing the 4 star quests last night. The sense of accomplishment is really fantastic, especially when you can see yourself improving and learning more about the game.

ohlawd

guys, help me get to HR 7 later in the afternoon or heck, even HR 8. I've written down my key quests and everything.

Ken

In 2-3 hours is perfect. I'll post room info when I'm ready.

Oh man, I'll plug in my WiiU and help out. Don't remember much about 3U though.

Actually...I misplaced my 3U cart which had my save I think..

Edit: NVM! Found it!

Ken

Okay that system update took forever and I have to go for a bit. Will be back in an hour if you're still running a room.

ohlawd

Thanks, everyone. Just 3 more quests until I can do the urgent for HR 8.

I'll try puttng up another room later.

edit: and that time is now. Free F, Lobby 10, pass: m3u.
I'll go back to offline if I can't get another two people in 20 mins.

Top Bottom