• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

vareon

There are few better feelings in all of gaming than seeing your third and final prey limp away, coming upon them sleeping, and bringing down one final charged GS swing on their dozey little head and winning you the quest. Feels good, man.

That just leaves Brachy left for 8 star. Excited!

Mine is killing a monster with the last combo of LS's spirit slash. dat feel when TATTARATTAAA fanfare starts, monster is growling its last growl, and you just stand there sheathing the sword.

Mine is killing a monster with the last combo of LS's spirit slash. dat feel when TATTARATTAAA fanfare starts, monster is growling its last growl, and you just stand there sheathing the sword.

or watching ChaCha killing an azure rathalos that was flying away with one boomerang throw lol. Good times.

Fistwell

Whoa, there's a giant Arzuros at some point in the game?! Can't wait!
The early G rank dble arzuros always has a big poppa bear and a tiny (in comparison) puny baby bear. They don't like getting separated either, they one happy, honey-slurping little family
that you murder in cold blood for allbraces YOU MONSTER!

Now giant nibblesnarf on the other hand...

chrono01

The early G rank dble arzuros always has a big poppa bear and a tiny (in comparison) puny baby bear. They don't like getting separated either, they one happy, honey-slurping little family

I always go after the baby first.

Does that make me a horrible human-being?

chrono01

Dunno, I do that too. I enjoy spamming rapid-fire crags at his braces. It's like a hobby at this point.

Well, at least if I am burning in the inner circles of Hell I will not be alone.

*chrono01 slips on his [tiny] Arzuros slippers as he covers himself with a blanket made of the skin of a larger Arzuros*

Now giant nibblesnarf on the other hand...

Yiii! Can't wait to get to G-Rank!

C_V

Managed to kill 6 Gigginox in the new DLC quest before time up. I wonder if I can kill all 10 solo hrmm.

Fistwell

I managed to leave all the boring collection/transporting quests. Now I have to do them all in a row. Fun.
lol that was my entire sunday a cple of weeks ago. Funfunfun. The payoff is pretty sweet though, alatreon is a fun fight.

Managed to kill 6 Gigginox in the new DLC quest before time up. I wonder if I can kill all 10 solo hrmm.
What rank is the quest? Any special drop/craftable item?

Thanks! :)

C_V

What rank is the quest?

HR3, and it's for the material for the Lion Great Sword. It's only required to kill 2 per quest, and doesn't seem to change how many of the material it provides (one per run it seems) but I like the challenge of trying to kill the maximum it spawns.

Lucent Narg is so amazing, one of my favourite fights for sure.

To those finishing up, are you grinding for awards or going to call it a day?
I'm quickly hitting that end point and after 200+ hours it still feels too soon :(

Fistwell

I'm quickly hitting that end point and after 200+ hours it still feels too soon :(
Can't say I'm exactly finishing up yet but I'm at about 320hrs. I do have an eye on awards, kinda, but I mainly play around to get sets I still want. I've also only just started on the arena, and I'm starting to mess around with gunning a little bit. Still having fun with the game, although there are fewer euro-gafs online on weekday eves.

And l narg is a pain in the ass. Fucking 360 poison projectile spam bullshit.

Kaji

I've hit hr60 built numerous a.lagi weapons and the nether armor set about 220 hours and feeling burnt out as hell..

Think I'll take a break and finish some backlog and there is always soul sacrifice in a couple of days...

ramyeon

lol that was my entire sunday a cple of weeks ago. Funfunfun. The payoff is pretty sweet though, alatreon is a fun fight.
Haha yeah I hope so. The worst are the ones that ask you to hunt x number of any small enemies. They take even longer than proper monster hunts since you have to run around waiting for them to respawn :/

I think money stops being an issue soon enough anyway. Just go through your box every so often, sell off items that you have more of 99 of and don't need at the moment (Iron Ores, Earth Crystals, Armor Spheres, etc).

Nargacuga is the new Barioth. And I guess it's also the old Barioth. The old new Barioth.

Don't sell Earth Crystals man. If you want to get all weapons, particularly any rust / ancient ones, you'll need hundreds of those damn crystals.

ramyeon

Don't sell Earth Crystals man. If you want to get all weapons, particularly any rust / ancient ones, you'll need hundreds of those damn crystals.
Aren't the rust weapons pretty average once you get to G rank stuff anyway? I dunno, there's no proper rust swaxes as far as I know anyway.

Only 20 or so more boring village quests left.. :(

Ancient Shard weapons are way, way waaaaaaaaay better than their Rusted counterparts. Don't waste your Earth Crystals on them. Fully upgrading on either path costs 200

C_V

Whipped up a mishmashed armor set with Fire Atk +2/Attack Up (L) and using the Final Qurupeco Hammer, managed to get 7 kills this time. To make it in the time limit you'd need to kill one in about 4 minutes each, something that's a bit tough solo, for me at least haha. Got like 6 Fearsome Maws out of it so far tho lol.

Can't say I'm exactly finishing up yet but I'm at about 320hrs. I do have an eye on awards, kinda, but I mainly play around to get sets I still want. I've also only just started on the arena, and I'm starting to mess around with gunning a little bit. Still having fun with the game, although there are fewer euro-gafs online on weekday eves.

And l narg is a pain in the ass. Fucking 360 poison projectile spam bullshit.

I think if I was playing on Wii U I would've easily cracked 300 hours by now, 3DS only here and this is still one of my most played games ever I'd imagine.
I kinda wanna go for the awards as my interest is waning without any goals (currently going for all Argosy trades) but I see ones like 'reach HR125' or 'Gain 1 million resource points' and just go "nope!"
I should play around with different weapons too at this stage, been blades only the whole way through.

Those poision darts from the Narg were annoying as hell! I only enjoyed the fight as it was hard, made me realise I've been coasting for a while and almost losing has made me re-evaluate my play style a bit.

I've hit hr60 built numerous a.lagi weapons and the nether armor set about 220 hours and feeling burnt out as hell..

Think I'll take a break and finish some backlog and there is always soul sacrifice in a couple of days...

Only HR48 in the same amount of time and I'm feeling it too, this is where I need online play :(
I'll probably put it down soon (still haven't opened Fire Emblem) and come back once I've built up a backlog of DLC.

taybul

i bought all the bomb casings i could!
ieGjCgC7ajDhX.gif

i now have 2z left
iDPw6te7otZFa.gif

edit: omg i dont even have enough money to eat before this hunt WHAT HAVE I DONE

edit 2: nvm i sold all my peco mats and now i have 13257z
ibo5v8xTxgo1RA.gif
For me the quickest way to make money is to farm volcano and sell off any weapons that aren't rusted. In G rank they go for several thousand a piece. You could make 10000+ in a few minutes worth of farming.

I was wondering if anyone else experienced crazy lag last night. Myself, my brother and my cousin all tried playing and the monsters were teleporting around for the three of us. If one person was lagging that would make more sense to me, but all three of us experiencing it? Weird.

Aren't the rust weapons pretty average once you get to G rank stuff anyway? I dunno, there's no proper rust swaxes as far as I know anyway.

Only 20 or so more boring village quests left.. :(

Rust weapons are outclassed by the worn / ancient ones, and some other trees, depending on the weapon type. But hey, you might be a completionist and want every weapon just for the hell of it :p

And good luck with the boring quests, just be thankful it's not grinding for some horrible drop!

Mupod

For me the quickest way to make money is to farm volcano and sell off any weapons that aren't rusted. In G rank they go for several thousand a piece. You could make 10000+ in a few minutes worth of farming.

I'd actually say a large chunk of my money and resources come from selling/converting leftover ores I got on volcano charm runs. At least I got SOMETHING out of that shit, certainly never got any good charms.

At 250 hours and counting, picking up gunning has kept my drive to play as strong as ever. I still find pierce HBG to be the most fun and satisfying but I finally got to try out status LBG last night. The Master Kettleblower is just absurd, it can easly sleep monsters 4 times and paralyze 5+, but most importantly it can do it so reliably I can call it out in voice chat and let people know an opening is coming up. I don't even use up my poison ammo because it only takes a couple of shots to poison anything. I was thinking of making a paralyze SnS as a support weapon but this thing just embarrasses any other weapon that thinks it's good at causing status effects.

Downside of course is it basically does nothing else. It can crap out normal 2 and normal 3 pretty well, but it probably does a third of the damage my Eclipse Gambit outputs with those shots and it's not even set up to use those properly.

Abyssal Lagi was the last monster I had yet to kill and I finally got to do that last night. It was about as unpleasant as I expected, thing doesn't stand still and his charge move is just stupid. However after that bullshit I'm still wondering how I can keep running into people wearing his entire gear set who fail utterly at comparatively easy monsters like Rathian. Yesterday was the second time this happened, saw a guy with the GS and gear set from A.Lagi who couldn't even get the tail off Pink Rathian...and I slept her 3 times. Paralyzed 4.

DaBoss

I have like 110K Resources.

I think money stops being an issue soon enough anyway. Just go through your box every so often, sell off items that you have more of 99 of and don't need at the moment (Iron Ores, Earth Crystals, Armor Spheres, etc).

NOPE.

My Ancient/Worn weapons are pretty god like.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

NOPE.

My Ancient/Worn weapons are pretty god like.

Yeah, I wouldn't sell my Ore. I would however sell monster parts that I have an overabundance of. G carves, even from G. Jaggi and weak monsters, sell for thousands and thousands.

Resources are easy enough to come by, even if you ignore Moga Woods. I have 60 Lava Nuggets, which will keep me going for about 500 hours.

Mondriaan

Abyssal Lagi was the last monster I had yet to kill and I finally got to do that last night. It was about as unpleasant as I expected, thing doesn't stand still and his charge move is just stupid. However after that bullshit I'm still wondering how I can keep running into people wearing his entire gear set who fail utterly at comparatively easy monsters like Rathian. Yesterday was the second time this happened, saw a guy with the GS and gear set from A.Lagi who couldn't even get the tail off Pink Rathian...and I slept her 3 times. Paralyzed 4.
I imagine that some of those people may have used the terrain exploit and gunned a. lagi without much worry about getting hit. Supposedly doing it that way takes far more patience than skill.

I suppose I could have mentioned that since you were gunning, but it slipped my mind. :p

There's an award for 1 million resource points, lol.

DaBoss

damn it. stuff has way too much health when trying to do tavern solo.

It's not the health that's annoying me. It is the god damn attack power and the pattern that is annoying me in G-Rank.

Instead of going: Hunter -> 1st Shakalaka -> 2nd Shakalaka -> Repeat

G-Rank makes the monsters go Hunter -> Shakalaka -> Hunter -> Shakalaka ->Repeat

It's so annoying.

Yeah, I wouldn't sell my Ore. I would however sell monster parts that I have an overabundance of. G carves, even from G. Jaggi and weak monsters, sell for thousands and thousands.

Resources are easy enough to come by, even if you ignore Moga Woods. I have 60 Lava Nuggets, which will keep me going for about 500 hours.

Oh man, I need to sell some G. Jaggi stuff lol.

There's an award for 1 million resource points, lol.

That's what I'm aiming for. :)

Definitely sell parts of monsters after you're done farming them. I think I've made around 2m selling Lucent Narga parts and I've got an absurd amount to spare

G Rank parts are worth a bunch

Just starting 6* quests (offline) and Rathian beat me pretty good. I think I had him down, cut his tail fairly early on but got unlucky and trapped against some walls and was killed fairly quickly.

My question, only having the 6* offline quests available. Which one would be good for mining the volcano so I can find Advanced Armor Spheres?

Can I just start the Rathian quest and mine nodes instead and then 'abandon quest' or will that make all my stuff that I farmed go away? Personally never tried this.

But I think I need to level up my armor to max (wearing 4/5 Rathalos stuff, trying to farm the plate) and had about 7 Adv Armor Spheres from quests and such that I used on it.

Arveene

Neo Member

Currently approaching the 400 hour mark. I still have other weapons to use. I still haven't touched hammer much. There are still some armor sets I want to make, and I need to learn to not try to dodge forward with a lance/gunlance. It still feels like there's plenty of stuff left to do for me.

Just starting 6* quests (offline) and Rathian beat me pretty good. I think I had him down, cut his tail fairly early on but got unlucky and trapped against some walls and was killed fairly quickly.

My question, only having the 6* offline quests available. Which one would be good for mining the volcano so I can find Advanced Armor Spheres?

Can I just start the Rathian quest and mine nodes instead and then 'abandon quest' or will that make all my stuff that I farmed go away? Personally never tried this.

But I think I need to level up my armor to max (wearing 4/5 Rathalos stuff, trying to farm the plate) and had about 7 Adv Armor Spheres from quests and such that I used on it.

You revert back to your pre-quest status if you abandon, you don't if you faint 3 times. There's actually a strategy involving this and the Misty Peaks secret area for farming Enduring Charms. Taking a quick look at the guide, it looks like HR Flooded Forst has the best chances for Adv Armor Spheres. I think you have access to the Harvest Tour for there at 6*.

DaBoss

How rare are Durambolite? I have 2 apparently.

I believe you can get it from mining the Volcano in low-rank and you can get it mining anywhere in high-rank.

If you abandon, then you will be returned with only stuff you had before starting on the quest.

Korosenai

Well, this game just kicked up a notch. Finally opened up the 6* quests in offline, have beaten all 5* and below and Rathian handed my anss to me.
This. So much this.

I did all of the 5 star quests, and then I opened up the urgen P. Ludroth quest. It was a little hard, but still managable. But now all of the other 6 star quests are kicking my ass. I just need to upgrade my armor I guess.

So I finally managed to capture that arzuros last night.

I kept thinking he had to be limping to capture. Once I realized I could throw it down as soon as he ran to another area it was easy as pie.

I am running the Rhenopouls armor. Should I keep getting armor spheres to upgrade it or should I be working towards another set?

You revert back to your pre-quest status if you abandon, you don't if you faint 3 times. There's actually a strategy involving this and the Misty Peaks secret area for farming Enduring Charms. Taking a quick look at the guide, it looks like HR Flooded Forst has the best chances for Adv Armor Spheres. I think you have access to the Harvest Tour for there at 6*.

Ah, cool, I'll do that a few times. I hope I'm not too maxed out on armor. I guess I can farm the tail since I can get that with consistency, just need to NOT get trapped in corners/invisible walls, that's when I go down pretty quick.

I believe you can get it from mining the Volcano in low-rank and you can get it mining anywhere in high-rank.

If you abandon, then you will be returned with only stuff you had before starting on the quest.

Ah, so a suicide run will work? Will try this or the harvest tour, see which one nets the best! I need to upgrade my 3 piece Wroggi set for the Poison Resistance too ...

This. So much this.

I did all of the 5 star quests, and then I opened up the urgen P. Ludroth quest. It was a little hard, but still managable. But now all of the other 6 star quests are kicking my ass. I just need to upgrade my armor I guess.

Yeah, I'm hoping I'm just a little 'squishy' right now. Doesn't 'feel' like it but the Rathian 6* could easily kill me in 10-15 seconds if I got caught on a wall or something and couldn't get a potion going or anything. I also had to wear 3 pieces of Wroggi for the poison because I was getting hit more than usual.

Probably just need practice.

Are high rank more 'aggressive' or have different move sets or is mainly attack power and HP that are different?

Mondriaan

Definitely sell parts of monsters after you're done farming them. I think I've made around 2m selling Lucent Narga parts and I've got an absurd amount to spare

G Rank parts are worth a bunch
I hesitate to sell too much of anything because there is an award for crafting something like 10(?) weapons (upgraded to their evolutionary end point) for each weapon type and crafting a large number of g-rank armor pieces.

Mupod

Plus you never know when a decoration you need will require some random shit from a monster you long ago decided you did not need stuff from.

That said if you have say 200 gold ceadeus shards there's no reason whatsoever to hold on to that crap.

DaBoss

OH GOD...

Mark of Hero-like Arena Quest quest is gonna come next week.

Ah, so a suicide run will work? Will try this or the harvest tour, see which one nets the best! I need to upgrade my 3 piece Wroggi set for the Poison Resistance too ...

Are high rank more 'aggressive' or have different move sets or is mainly attack power and HP that are different?

Yea, you can fail the quest and will have everything you got during the quest.

High-Rank monsters are harder, better, faster, stronger ♫.

You need weapons with higher sharpness. They have a higher attack power. They are faster. They have different attack patterns or have new attacks.

OH GOD...

Mark of Hero-like Arena Quest quest is gonna come next week.

Yea, you can fail the quest and will have everything you got during the quest.

High-Rank monsters are harder, better, faster, stronger ♫.

You need weapons with higher sharpness. They have a higher attack power. They are faster. They have different attack patterns or have new attacks.

Cool, looks like a lot of failure in my future!

Good to hear about the high rank monsters. Also, bad to hear about the high rank monsters =P

I just hope the farming doesn't burn me out too quickly. 5% sounds like months of farming something.

Top Bottom