• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

King_Moc

Banned
I've been playing solo so far on the 3DS. Have a full set of Agnaktor armour. Playing LS. About 80 hours logged. Not yet finished the 5 star quests. Should I go all the way and complete the game before getting into the online on the Wii U? I'm still HR1. Does it take a bit of adjustment to play on the pad controller? Should I switch to a less spammy weapon that can trip up others? I can go back to S&S. Should I not worry and just jump into some newbie rooms?

I use it. You just have to be careful when you do the spirit combo with the R button. And make sure to go for tails.

Quadratic

My friend, who had played on her 3DS solely, came over last weekend and tried it on the Wii U. Seemed like it was a smooth switch for her. I will say, don't forget to switch the ZL/ZR option so they act like the L/R buttons.

And don't be afraid to play Long Sword online. If you trip someone a few times, just say sorry in text chat, or over mic. People are pretty forgiving. Even more so on the GAF server, so JOOOOOOOIN US

I wish I was good at making jpgs. I was thinking of doing a cheap looking clip art one for the meetup on May 10th. I might try to do one tonight. I need to pick someone's brain about charms/skills/armour slots. Seems like I have +10 for fire +1 with the Agnaktor armour but the skill is still greyed out. Do I need +15 or +20 for it to proc?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm finally starting to get sucked into the game. Still a total newbie, but 10 hours in and I just had an extremely tense battle against Qurupeco last night for the first time. I ended up using all of my resources, died once, and barely managed to down the bastard with like two minutes left on the clock. It was a really exciting session that started out with my killing a Great Jaggi and then pursuing Qurupeco across a bunch of different maps. I ran out of paintballs at the end, but was lucky enough to stumble upon the beast and finish it off.

I'm wearing all Jaggi armor except for my helm which was crafted from Arzuros's parts (I farmed the capture mission a few times). I initially used the sword and shield, but switched over to the dual blades while still working on the 1 star village quests. Right now I'm using a pair of Chief’s Scythes (154 Attack) and seem to be doing OK, but Qurupeco's armor seemed to deflect most of my attacks.

Any advice in general on what I should be doing? I feel that, while I may have managed to beat Qurupeco, I need better weapons to really put it on farm status. If the monsters get much harder from here, I'm definitely in trouble. Should I drop the dual blades in favor or something else? Or, if I stick with dual blades, what's a good upgrade to aim for from here?

I'm pretty quickly burning out on the 3DS version. I don't have a Wii U (and am not planning to get one), nor do I have any local friends playing--so I'm only playing solo. The game is fun and learning to get better with the weapons is gratifying, but the grind is getting to me. I feel like, "Well, I now 'know my way around' the weapons I'm interested in and have had some fun making new equipment... But now I just have to do the same thing ad infinitum."

Kind of bummed, because conceptually it's really neat, and the controls aren't that awful once you get used to them--but they still leave something to be desired.

blackflag

Last weekend was awesome.

Finally got my Uragaan pallium for my Grongigas hammer

Got +7 Free Element charm

So I made the artian legs (+5 free element). That along with my Helios Z set gives me

Sharpness +1
Bombadier
Awakening
High Grade Earplugs

I had to lose Evasion, which I love, but I can deal.

I'm sure there's a better set I can make in the future but this was the simplest to make in order to use the grongigas.

Plus it was my birthday.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I wish I was good at making jpgs. I was thinking of doing a cheap looking clip art one for the meetup on May 10th. I might try to do one tonight. I need to pick someone's brain about charms/skills/armour slots. Seems like I have +10 for fire +1 with the Agnaktor armour but the skill is still greyed out. Do I need +15 or +20 for it to proc?

The skill you're receiving on Agnaktor is Fire Attack +1, so you need to be wielding a Fire element weapon for that to take effect. You can get to Fire Attack +2 though by reaching 15.

Quadratic

Ah, I see. I wish the game explained that stuff. Or I'm missing it entirely. I'm used to having these obtuse game mechanics from Final Fantasy XI, should have looked it up online.

brinstar

I got a rathian ruby out of the shiny drop from the first pink rathian I fought... :O I'm not sure what I should do with it

Mileena

Banned
I'm pretty quickly burning out on the 3DS version. I don't have a Wii U (and am not planning to get one), nor do I have any local friends playing--so I'm only playing solo. The game is fun and learning to get better with the weapons is gratifying, but the grind is getting to me. I feel like, "Well, I now 'know my way around' the weapons I'm interested in and have had some fun making new equipment... But now I just have to do the same thing ad infinitum."

Kind of bummed, because conceptually it's really neat, and the controls aren't that awful once you get used to them--but they still leave something to be desired.

That's where online comes in and gives the game hundreds of hours of replayability

I'm sorry for your purchase of the wrong version :[

Ultratech

Alatreon will be available in a DLC quest right?
I made his bow,and to upgrade it,you need no more,no less than 5 palliums for the rare -10.Eh.Ah ah ah ah!ah ah ah...ah ah... :'(

There's a DLC quest later on with a G-Rank Alatreon.

I imagine many deaths will be had. (Or lots of Clusting.)

I'm wearing all Jaggi armor except for my helm which was crafted from Arzuros's parts (I farmed the capture mission a few times). I initially used the sword and shield, but switched over to the dual blades while still working on the 1 star village quests. Right now I'm using a pair of Chief’s Scythes (154 Attack) and seem to be doing OK, but Qurupeco's armor seemed to deflect most of my attacks.

Any advice in general on what I should be doing? I feel that, while I may have managed to beat Qurupeco, I need better weapons to really put it on farm status. If the monsters get much harder from here, I'm definitely in trouble. Should I drop the dual blades in favor or something else? Or, if I stick with dual blades, what's a good upgrade to aim for from here?

Basically, just aim for getting better weapons and sharpness. You may wanna check a weapon chart to see what's available.

Like Quru can be a pain without Green sharpness weapons.

Monsters will get harder, but you'll gain more experience as well as better weapons/armor, so it won't be too bad.

Satch

Banned
is anybody farming g rank azuros parts atm

because if so i would like to join you

i need that stuff so i can make a gathering set

edit: omg happy birthday blackflag!!!

blackflag

is anybody farming g rank azuros parts atm

because if so i would like to join you

i need that stuff so i can make a gathering set

edit: omg happy birthday blackflag!!!

Thanks!

I'm at work so I can't help but the Azureos g-rank is really easy. I think It took like 6-8 min each time and there's nothing rare needed so it only took like 4 runs.

Just take dung bombs if you can't handle them both because they'll be in the same area.

branny

Oh how I have not missed MH's stupid endgame desire sensor BS. When playing turns into "should I grind for the 1% drop from this asshole or the 1% drop from that asshole?", it's time to take a break for a while. :(

how are most people playing this on the wii u or 3ds?
Honestly, it's been like 95% 3DS for me. If the off-TV patch didn't suck for ZL/ZR users, I'd probably play the Wii U version more.

Pastry

Banned
I love this game but I think I'm going to give up on it because well... Water fights. I don't know who the fuck thought this would be a good idea. Have to capture a Lagracius to move on with my missions and it's just not fun.

I just had some awesome Gobul runs! The easiest way to get King Whiskers:

- Throw Dungbomb
- Let Gobul flee
- Wait about 30sec before you go to the next area
- Carve his whisker
- Profit!

You can do this as many times as you want! :lol

Insaniac

Oh how I have not missed MH's stupid endgame desire sensor BS. When playing turns into "should I grind for the 1% drop from this asshole or the 1% drop from that asshole?", it's time to take a break for a while. :(

Honestly, it's been like 95% 3DS for me. If the off-TV patch didn't suck for ZL/ZR users, I'd probably play the Wii U version more.

whats this about?

If the off-TV patch didn't suck for ZL/ZR users, I'd probably play the Wii U version more.

Wait, what? It's the 3DS version that does this wrong. I want to be able to tap ZL to target monsters instead of having to use the fucking touch screen. Stupid ass 3DS.

Willectro

Banned
I haven't even gotten into the rare drops yet, but fuck these tedious mining and trap missions. Honestly the game has so much potential, but they really need to leave out the grindy MMO style elements in the next release.

tengiants

Yeah... I really love the game and have put over 200 hours in, but I definitely couldn't have done this by myself. I'd probably put about 40-50 hours in before shelving it if I was solo only. Granted that's still a great value but this game really shines with multiple people.

Hobby

Fuck Solo Alatreon.

Fuck him, fuck his three elements no one good armor can cover, fuck ballistas that i am too afraid to gather and use.

Once again, i have been humbled.

God i hope there is a future online event where i can play him online. With my companions dying so quick, not having distractions means you have to play insanely safe or burn through potions to fast, and have trouble breaking parts like the wings and head, which require very specific timing to hit.

In tri, i got to enjoy 4 people carrying flash bombs for when he takes flight, having to time and make them all myself sucks.

Some tips:
- Use farcasters when low on health or you feel you're in a bad situation.
- Sleeping in the bed at the base revives Kayamba/Cha-Cha besides fully restoring your health.
- Use mega dash juice. Infinite stamina is near essential for the fight.
- Bring materials to make additional potions, mega potions, mega dash juice, cool drinks, farcasters, etc. Do this when you're in the base.
- Also sharpen your weapon whenever you're in the base.
- Focus your attacks on Alatreon's tail (it's really easy to cut off) and hind legs. Most of Alatreon's attacks come from the front, and can be pretty easily avoided this way.
- Use Athena's ASS to make a mixed armor set, optimally with one piece of armor from 4 or 5 different sets. It'll balance out your negative resistance to elements so you're not getting one shot from anything. Ice and fire stuff is pretty easy to avoid for Alatreon, but high negative thunder or dragon resistance can destroy you.
- Don't bother with the ballistas. It's too dangerous and I don't believe they do much damage to begin with.
- Use the ballista binder whenever it's up, but make sure Alatreon's close to it so you're not wasting precious time running to him.
- You can apparently get him stuck in the two walls on the left and right of the arena, but I'm not sure how to do this.

This is so annoying, Im farming ivory lagia for his shell shockers and I break his back and everything and it's not giving me shockers but sapphires... Now had I been looking for sapphires, I got lucky on and had gotten one in the first fight, I would not have been getting any
LLShC.gif

This is so annoying, Im farming ivory lagia for his shell shockers and I break his back and everything and it's not giving me shockers but sapphires... Now had I been looking for sapphires, I got lucky on and had gotten one in the first fight, I would not have been getting any
LLShC.gif

That desire sensor

I just hit G Rank and I'm wondering if I should farm Azure Rath for Rath Soul or stick with my Rath S and farm something in G. I'm using GS.

Any recommendations? Also any ideas what to shoot for in G. Haven't even looked at skills for those armors.

I'm almost done with VQ9 and about to start on HR...and i just heard from my friends about this canteen quest to upgrade the canteen. Where do I find this?!? I'm still using Mosspork + King Truffle for Atk Up (M) and Health +30.

There's no such thing, it's just used to vent frustration on an imaginary game mechanic.

It's still REAL to me, damnit! [wrestling gif]

Wait, what? It's the 3DS version that does this wrong. I want to be able to tap ZL to target monsters instead of having to use the fucking touch screen. Stupid ass 3DS.

You only need to tap the touch screen once to lock-on to the mob. When you press the L trigger button, your view will target the mob that's locked on (double tap L trigger if you want the camera to turn to where your character is facing). You don't need to keep tapping on the touch screen, unless there are 2 mobs in the area and you need to change your lock-on.

And when combining, you don't need to press A for each combined item you want to make. Hold down A and it will rapidly combine the items for you.

I love how these bits of information are old to some people, and completely new to even veterans.

OMFG...I've been pressing A hundreds of times for those tranq bombs. Thank you!

jercruz

Any recommendations? Also any ideas what to shoot for in G. Haven't even looked at skills for those armors.

Helios/Selene X for the waist, everything else Helios/Selene Z. You get hg earplugs, sharpness+1, and all slots open. From there its up to you what you want to add (Crit draw, evasion, etc.)

Top Bottom