• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Mondriaan

So guys, Armor Stones..... where the hell are they!?
I think I found mine at the volcano, but IIRC they're extremely rare. You should fill out your combo list by taking your armor stones plus other materials to a quest, combine, and then abandon. Because there are so many armor stones combinations, this is pretty much as tedious as it sounds, but it's less tedious than mining for armor stones.

IIRC in the PSP games you could trade resource points for armor stones. (I don't know why they didn't just make it a rare commodity trade for Tri Ultimate.)

Chuckpebble

More importantly, though, Mini Uragaan's glorious return is also next week.

Best theme song ever.

My word! I somehow only ever did that quest once, and I must've had the volume down. What's wrong with me?

Also, anyone going on Tri tonight? Last night. I'll be paying my respects. Maybe a quest or two, then I'll just leave the lament gesture in a lobby while I sleep through Loc Lac armageddon.

Rasan4eva

Neo Member
Cruel King of the Sea event quest is hard. But I want that gunlance.
snigzbE.jpg

Raide

Good god! Jho is down, I repeat, Jho is down!

I am guessing the Jaggia Menace HR quest is a reduced heath Jho right?

Just beat Goldbeard Ceadeus yesterday, so now I'm officially in the Big Leagues™.

Although at the moment I actually haven't played much at all with other GAF members, so I hope to remedy that tonight.

RobbieNick

Is there a good way to get your resource points up outside of hunting Moga Woods? Also, how do I get more monster in Moga woods? So far, I only have Great Jaggi, Qurupeco, Royal Ludroth, Lagiacrus and Rathian.

Raide

Is there a good way to get your resource points up outside of hunting Moga Woods? Also, how do I get more monster in Moga woods? So far, I only have Great Jaggi, Qurupeco, Royal Ludroth, Lagiacrus and Rathian.

Hunt new monsters. Once you hit HR in Moga, new stuff will appear.

Outside of hunting, handing in items that generate resource points are your best option. Some of these you get hunting anyway, some are monster drops.

You can pawn off items for resource points.

As for populating Moga Woods, you simply need to beat the monster to have it show up. At the point you're at though, you only have Rathalos to unlock before you get kicked up to High Rank.

Man I'm about 5 hours in and just killed that great jaggi :D After 30 minutes of chasing his ass I was all out of potions and about 2 hits from death when he finally fell over and died. I wanted to yell =] Man these no health bars really adds suspense to the hunt. Question, is there a way to increase my bag space when I'm out? I've been putting everything into my item box in town but when I'm on a quest my bags fill up extremely fast.

Man I'm about 5 hours in and just killed that great jaggi :D After 30 minutes of chasing his ass I was all out of potions and about 2 hits from death when he finally fell over and died. I wanted to yell =] Man these no health bars really adds suspense to the hunt. Question, is there a way to increase my bag space when I'm out? I've been putting everything into my item box in town but when I'm on a quest my bags fill up extremely fast.
Your item pouch space never changes, you just have to learn to be frugal in your collecting.

Raide

Get use to this. For collection quests, you don't need potions etc. Just nets and picks and the rest is space. Once you get your helpers, they do some collecting for you if you want them to but the constant battle for bag space is always there.

Also, welcome aboard!

Where are you guys seeing the info for the new quests and stuff that are coming? I guess I'm out of the loop. I've been loosing my desire to play lately as the game is starting to feel kinda "samey," but I didn't realize there were new "updates" coming on the horizon. Will they be fairly regular?

That sucks about bag space, I guess I'll learn whats worth keeping to take to town as I play more. My other problem, I spent forever to get charm table 1 since I was planning to play with bows.. However when I tried the bow the controls were horrible, it was like hold down y or whatever, use the right stick at the same time to slowly aim if you can even catch up to a target then actually shoot. Is there some trick to bows? lol

DaBoss

Where are you guys seeing the info for the new quests and stuff that are coming? I guess I'm out of the loop. I've been loosing my desire to play lately as the game is starting to feel kinda "samey," but I didn't realize there were new "updates" coming on the horizon. Will they be fairly regular?

Weekly DLC quests. Check the DLC option, it gives a preview of what is to come.

That sucks about bag space, I guess I'll learn whats worth keeping to take to town as I play more. My other problem, I spent forever to get charm table 1 since I was planning to play with bows.. However when I tried the bow the controls were horrible, it was like hold down y or whatever, use the right stick at the same time to slowly aim if you can even catch up to a target then actually shoot. Is there some trick to bows? lol

Use the D-Pad to aim. Sounds crazy, but it works.

explodet

G Sand Barioth down, piece of cake.
G Diablos down, surprisingly handleable. Still hits like a truck, but we've learned how to better dodge traffic.
G Steel Uragaan can go die in the stinky smelly hole he came from.
Green Narga? Now that was a fun fight. Instastun projectiles made things pretty interesting!

Mondriaan

Cumulated across your game time or...

you actually need to have your resource points at 1 million?
I'm guessing accumulated, but I think by the time you're seriously farming for that award, you're not going to be doing anything with the farm or fishing boats other than an occasional 4 star fishing boat foray.

My plan for that award is to mine the hell out of low rank uragaans using a gathering armor set and turn lavastones into resource points.

branny

whats this about?
Wait, what? It's the 3DS version that does this wrong. I want to be able to tap ZL to target monsters instead of having to use the fucking touch screen. Stupid ass 3DS.
I'm late responding, but I find L/R on the GamePad really uncomfortable for running and camera control. MH3U lets you use ZL/ZR instead, but it bizarrely only does so by providing the option to mirror L/R functionality (rather than simply offering proper button remapping). When you use off-TV play with ZL/ZR replicating L/R, you no longer have access to the target cam.

This would be solved if we either had full button remap functionality or retained the ability to touch the GamePad screen for choosing individual targets. The off-TV patch is worthless to me because of this. =\

HR6 done. Brachydios twins weren't as tough as Barioth + B.Gigginox. Started HR7 off with epic non-stop superman diving against Diablos (and carted twice from an epic non-stop combo). Diablos X looks like a good base GS set, so I suppose I'd better schedule some more panic dodging. :/

Mupod

I'm guessing accumulated, but I think by the time you're seriously farming for that award, you're not going to be doing anything with the farm or fishing boats other than an occasional 4 star fishing boat foray.

My plan for that award is to mine the hell out of low rank uragaans using a gathering armor set and turn lavastones into resource points.

honestly probably faster just to charm hunt in the volcano and convert ore/firestones/whatever.

Mupod

Damn that Lagi. Also, I need a new armor. It 2hkos me on the Gold Rath armor...

if you have massive negative resist, you can just eat food that cancels it out. I think it's vegetable + milk. No matter how bad the resistance is it'll set it to 8.

Qurupeke

if you have massive negative resist, you can just eat food that cancels it out. I think it's vegetable + milk. No matter how bad the resistance is it'll set it to 8.
Yeah, I ate something and it turned +3. But still it beat me. One supercharge and one electric dash and Felynes cart me...

Rize_21

I'll wait gaffers to do the Ivory Lagiacrus event quest,people are getting so mad with the massive one shots that happens,you can literally feel how furious the hunters are. :/

Mondriaan

honestly probably faster just to charm hunt in the volcano and convert ore/firestones/whatever.

The issue with combining charm hunting with any other kind of farming is that you have to periodically go through your charms and clear out lesser charms. Low rank uraa is an automatic sell anything that can't be converted into resource points rinse and repeat process.

Granted, resource conversion is a very manual process no matter how you go about doing it.

the game is being brutal with me now. I mean i need two Lagiacus horn+ to finish the Ivory set but i can't get one from the 10 lagia i've slayed so far... wtf

Ridley327

Oh yeah, I finally got around to unlocking the 9-star quests in the village, and the Zinogre I fought was generous enough to drop three Jaspers.

Better late than never, I guess.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
oh yes i am, It keeps giving me plates and regular horns(which you can only get by breaking the horn so I'm doing it fine) and I only need 2 horn+

Just making sure! I don't assume everyone knows the mechanics, with a lot of new players joining in. Tri drops rates were torture for me, but Ultimate has been amazing. Just balancing out for me. I hope your fortune turns around soon.

Blitzhex

Fuck goldbeard so much... I just want to get into G rank dammit. The thing always manages to kill me with his bullshit hitbox when I'm running away with 1hp and him having every part destroyed.
Edit: Meh, gonna try again later with a couple of more items than just mega potions. I've been failing at goldbeard for the past 3 hours instead of studying for my exam tomorrow.:p

Just making sure! I don't assume everyone knows the mechanics, with a lot of new players joining in. Tri drops rates were torture for me, but Ultimate has been amazing. Just balancing out for me. I hope your fortune turns around soon.

Doesn't look like it will... just finished another round and no horn+ wth. I think i might give up, it's stupid, it's not like the rarest items are not dropping. According to the wiki there's 42% chance of getting the horn+ and 20% for the regular horn and 3% for the plate why am i getting the 20 and the 3 and not the 42... This is so frustrating.

Hi, have a problem that hopefully someone can help with. Just got the game today and started playing on WiiU. I chose the dynamic HUD or whatever, so that there was no HUD on screen at all, it was all on the gamepad. This is awesome, but then later on when I played some off TV, there was no HUD on the screen obviously, and I couldn't find a way to get it back. Help?

Korosenai

Since 6 star quests are kicking my butt, I figured id take a break from them and try to get some Duramboros armor.

I love fighting the Duramboros, its probably one of my favorite monsters to fight so far. At first, I hated this mofo. Couldnt kill it, got hit too much, got pissed off everytime. But now I know his moved and can take him down only getting hit once or twice. Feels good man.

Edit: and this is why I love Monster Hunter now (im new to the series). The satisfaction of man handling a monster that once man handeled you.

I've been hunting Savage Jho for a few days and gosh its spawn rate is abysmal, only found one every 2-3 hours or so and that's from using the "save trick". Luckily it dropped plenty of black blood though.

also

Banned
Has anyone here successfully soloed the DLC Jhen? I tried using fully upgraded Dios GS and swax but he always destroys the ship.
I hit his weakpoints on the back, hit him with the dragonator and binding ballista, use the bombs on the tusks, concentrate my ballista shots on the left arm, make him fall over and hit his weakpoint for massive damage... but once I run out ammo in the second phase I don't know what to do. In the lower ranks I could break both his arms to make him back up but now he seems to have way too much HP and I'm lucky to break a single one.

Rize_21

Mamamia!this Ivory Lagi must be the one that the old Moga village chief talked about.
It's a 1,2,3,hits =>Super Felyne Cart!(1 hit and a half*stomp* when he's in rage mode,armor used:Lagiacrus Z,620 defense,20 thunder res. with evade extender gemmed,a must,in my opinion,for him)
And worst of all,we couldn't manage to do a single scratch on him nor to cut his tail.
But even if we've failed,it's an awesome quest!Teamwork required?so cool. :)

Mupod

What's this? I need his goddam blood too!

you can basically find him and 'save' that guaranteed spawn instance and spawn him over and over. The catch is that the person spawning him needs to take one for the team and get no loot, so the idea is you go until that guy gets a black blood then have everyone else split up and try to get their own guaranteed spawn.

I don't know the exact details because I don't particularly care, I was just listening in on the dudes I was playing with. I did get some blood but I don't really need the belt for anything, I wanted to fight Savage Jho that's it. I think it involves spawning him, abandoning and exiting without saving. Or something.

Riposte

Slime weapons are too good or something eh? Maybe I should not have made this GS lol.

EDIT: You know, I recall Tri trivializing non-elemental weapons too. Balance tends to suck here I suppose.

Before farming, yall should make a farm set, really.

Reposting:

Plesioth Helm X
Plesioth Mail X
Plesioth Vambraces X
Golden Luneoil
Plesioth Greaves X

Weapon: 3 Slots
Charm: +4 Fate
Jewels: 2x Fate Jewel 3 / 5x Perception Jwl 1

Also, download the Legendary Athena's Armor Set. It's the best MH tool I have ever seen in my life. I'm creating all sorts of sets, Alatreon, Moga Village, Jhen, the fucking Gigginox, I mean, ain't nobody got time for that stupid monster, the faster you kill it the better.

Mupod

slime is overrated. Randoms just don't care and only want to use one weapon all the time rather than put in the research to actually find out what's good against certain things. Brachy stuff is still good because of its raw/purple sharpness with handicraft but all his equipment is ugly as sin.

I think it involves spawning him, abandoning and exiting without saving. Or something.

Basically this.
- 4 persons, each eats food for Gamechanger and pick their own "Night Stalker" quest
- Go to area 4 of Flooded Forest. If a normal Jho shows up, abandon and SAVE. If a Savage Jho shows up, abandon and DONT save.
- Come back to the port, the person who found a Savage Jho needs to close the game without saving. The safest way is to use WiiU Home button to close it.
- That person launches the game, load the saved file, go to online and re-join the same room he quitted.
- That person eats food for Gmaechanger and picks "Night Stalker" and a Salvage Jho will 100% be there.

You can do this trick offline by yourself and when you find s.Jho just quite without saving as explained above and reload and go online to post a Savage Jho quest. You will run into some assholes who leave the room and never come back or those who sit around and let others do searching job for them.

Riposte

Anyone HR 4 (or 3) playing tonight? Think I should play with some GAF people at some point.

What I want to make:
Upgrade to Qurupexspander
Upgrade to Lagia Horn+
Upgrade to Dios Blade+ (All I need is 2 Steel Uragaan Chutes)
No idea what I gear set I want to make (still rock an old full lagia set)... kind of interested in The Plesioth set or Uragaan set. Don't care to grind for this stuff though.

Also I'm curious, what is the Monster Hunter game with the most unique monsters? Including and excluding sub-species. (Let's say the MMO doesn't count.)

DaBoss

Also I'm curious, what is the Monster Hunter game with the most unique monsters? Including and excluding sub-species. (Let's say the MMO doesn't count.)

Including subspecies:
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate: 51
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite: 58

Excluding subspecies:
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate: 29
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite: 38

When I excluded subspecies, I didn't exclude clones, like G. Jaggi (G. Baggi, G. Wroggi), Velocidrome (Giadrome, Gendrome, Lodrome), and etc.

Top Bottom