• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

explodet

I need nets, or its components. I need a super easy way to get them. Are they ever sold?
It's the Spider Webs that can only be gathered. The other item is Ivy, which can be farmed.

What I do to get Spider Webs is go out to Moga Forest (free hunt area) in the daytime, and go to the bug node in the middle of area 3. Gather there, get 0-3 Spider Webs, and then select Return to Village in the menu. Repeat as necessary.

You only need to tap the touch screen once to lock-on to the mob. When you press the L trigger button, your view will target the mob that's locked on (double tap L trigger if you want the camera to turn to where your character is facing). You don't need to keep tapping on the touch screen, unless there are 2 mobs in the area and you need to change your lock-on.

Right, but on the Wii U you don't need to tap the touch screen at all. ZL and L are different buttons. Pressing ZL performs the same task as tapping the touch screen (locks onto monster), pressing normal L targets said monster. If there are multiple monsters you can cycle through them by pressing ZL. No need for touchscreen bullshit. My fingers are trained to tap ZL; whenever I play on 3DS I always waste a few seconds figuring out how to target something. It's really stupid that you can't have the same controls on both platforms with the CPP.

I need nets, or its components. I need a super easy way to get them. Are they ever sold?

Always have your hunting fleet out and send your guild card companions on gathering quests. Besides that there's no easy way except to farm bug nodes. Pitfall traps are an item not to be used lightly.

Always have your hunting fleet out and send your guild card companions on gathering quests. Besides that there's no easy way except to farm bug nodes. Pitfall traps are an item not to be used lightly.
Wait you can send them on their own to do quests? I missed so much!

I stopped used fleets and farms because of the damn resource points. It wasn't an issue in MHFU because you didn't need resource points for everything and you naturally acquired Pokke Points.

Mupod

if you go to misty peaks there's an area with a whole bunch of cats milling about. If you climb up a bit there's a big spiderweb you can gather webs from, usually like 4-5 or more.

Having trouble killing village Jhen Mohran. Before entering the final showdown, I make sure to hit him with everything I have, plus Dragonator. So far I've only managed to repel him once and every other time was a failure. Is it easier/more effective to use range weapons? I'll make a set if I have to.

ramyeon

Wait you can send them on their own to do quests? I missed so much!

I stopped used fleets and farms because of the damn resource points. It wasn't an issue in MHFU because you didn't need resource points for everything and you naturally acquired Pokke Points.
Never had an issue with resource points. And I always use my farm to get thunderbugs, honey and nulberries. All I do is trade in monster parts to generate points. Lava Nuggets from Uragaan fetch quite a lot. Never had to do free hunting in the woods to get points.

Fewr

On Wii U, when playing on gamepad only, how do I take a look at the map? I know I get a quick look when changing areas, but I haven't figured out how to look at it as part of the information on the screen.

Mupod

Having trouble killing village Jhen Mohran. Before entering the final showdown, I make sure to hit him with everything I have, plus Dragonator. So far I've only managed to repel him once and every other time was a failure. Is it easier/more effective to use range weapons? I'll make a set if I have to.

what are you using? I cleared village quests first and so I mostly only had terrible low rank gear when I fought him, but the rustshard hammer was enough. A solid ice weapon should be sufficient.

I've got a pretty good mini guide for solo Jhen written up but I need to search my post history a bit.

found it:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=52514622&postcount=13190

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=52518180&postcount=13193

DaBoss

I just send Guild Card hunters off on Altaroth hunting quests and they bring spider webs many times. I always use a Shock Trap before a Pitfall Trap. I also have Kayamba or Cha-Cha wearing a Pitfall Mask.

Hmm.. that's before I begin the mission right?
Thanks.

Well I don't own a Wii U, but from what I've read, you have to adjust what shows up on the touchscreen when Off-TV Play is disabled.

what are you using? I cleared village quests first and so I mostly only had terrible low rank gear when I fought him, but the rustshard hammer was enough. A solid ice weapon should be sufficient.

I've got a pretty good mini guide for solo Jhen written up but I need to search my post history a bit.

I was using a water long sword, the Barbarian Blade I think it was. I'll take a look at that guide if you come across it, thanks!

Mupod

I was using a water long sword, the Barbarian Blade I think it was. I'll take a look at that guide if you come across it, thanks!

he's strong against water, I guess despite being a SAND whale he's still a whale. Also I found my old posts, edited my previous one.

he's strong against water, I guess despite being a SAND whale he's still a whale. Also I found my old posts, edited my previous one.

Thanks, I bookmarked it. I'll try my hand at it again tomorrow. I'm thinking I'm going to work on a good hammer too.

Satch

Banned
i bought all the bomb casings i could!
ieGjCgC7ajDhX.gif

i now have 2z left
iDPw6te7otZFa.gif

edit: omg i dont even have enough money to eat before this hunt WHAT HAVE I DONE

edit 2: nvm i sold all my peco mats and now i have 13257z
ibo5v8xTxgo1RA.gif

ramyeon

ieGjCgC7ajDhX.gif

i now have 2z left
iDPw6te7otZFa.gif

edit: omg i dont even have enough money to eat before this hunt WHAT HAVE I DONE

ibo5v8xTxgo1RA.gif
Do you farm nulberries and sell them off every 10 quests? Also farming Goldbeard about 15 times got me about a million z.

L Thammy

Do you farm nulberries and sell them off every 10 quests? Also farming Goldbeard about 15 times got me about a million z.

I think money stops being an issue soon enough anyway. Just go through your box every so often, sell off items that you have more of 99 of and don't need at the moment (Iron Ores, Earth Crystals, Armor Spheres, etc).

Nargacuga is the new Barioth. And I guess it's also the old Barioth. The old new Barioth.

Well, this game just kicked up a notch. Finally opened up the 6* quests in offline, have beaten all 5* and below and Rathian handed my anss to me.

ramyeon

I think money stops being an issue soon enough anyway. Just go through your box every so often, sell off items that you have more of 99 of and don't need at the moment (Iron Ores, Earth Crystals, Armor Spheres, etc).

Nargacuga is the new Barioth. And I guess it's also the old Barioth. The old new Barioth.
Yeah it does at a point, but if you've only got 2z left at any point then there's something wrong lol. Never had below 10,000z at any given time during low/high rank and never under 100,000z G rank up.

Satch

Banned
Yeah it does at a point, but if you've only got 2z left at any point then there's something wrong lol. Never had below 10,000z at any given time during low/high rank and never under 100,000z G rank up.

well i bought over 999 bomb casings for 150z a pop

L Thammy

well i bought over 999 bomb casings for 150z a pop

You know, there's these things called Sap Plants...

???

On another note, I miss Tigrex.

Fighting Nargacuga in 3U is like fighting Barioth in 3. Haven't played FU or P3rd.
I'm pretty excited to fight Tigrex in 4. Actually, this game's hyping me up for 4 in general. All of the new monsters are fantastic (Zinogre and Brachy!).

ieGjCgC7ajDhX.gif

i now have 2z left
iDPw6te7otZFa.gif

ibo5v8xTxgo1RA.gif
:ahh:

Go farm G Rank Volcano, many valuable ores and you just might find some awesome charms! At some point I had like 700 Firecell, Meldspar, Carbalite, etc.

You can also trade ores for Resource points (I have about 30,000 lmao).

Hattori

Banned
I just made a Ceadeus X + Gigas Hammer combo and I'm only an Uragaan Jaw+ away from upgrading it to Grongigas.

I have a couple of questions; is sharpness +1 important for hammers or am I better off gemming in focus instead?
as an upcoming hammer user, what's the best way to go about using this weapon? (superpound or triple pound)

Riposte

currently hr 4 and pretty overwhelmed with equipment options and how fast i'm progressing. seems like there are a dozen new sets right now. getting a full set takes a lot of work and gets outdated quickly.

Arveene

Neo Member
I just made a Ceadeus X + Gigas Hammer combo and I'm only an Uragaan Jaw+ away from upgrading it to Grongigas.

I have a couple of questions; is sharpness +1 important for hammers or am I better off gemming in focus instead?
as an upcoming hammer user, what's the best way to go about using this weapon? (superpound or triple pound)

I'm fairly certain that the triple pound now out damages the superpound. I can also imagine that having S+1 is pretty key, but I don't believe sharpness affects KO damage anymore. Edit: According to the weapon charts, it looks like Grongigas gets a decent amount of purple from having either blue or virtually no white sharpness without S+1 so I would say yes.

I don't use hammer that often so someone else might know these things with more certainty.

Much against my better judgement, I've decided to make Jhen Mogren's armor. Even though it took me like six fucking tries to repel the goddamned thing. After I've done that, I believe I'll attempt to rank up some more if anyone's down for it... probably tomorrow or day after.

Gah.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
There are few better feelings in all of gaming than seeing your third and final prey limp away, coming upon them sleeping, and bringing down one final charged GS swing on their dozey little head and winning you the quest. Feels good, man.

That just leaves Brachy left for 8 star. Excited!

It's... It's finally over. Lucent Narga set complete
r4CiE.png

Got a Cloudy Moonshard on my 3rd run and another on the 5th, then a Mantle on the 6th. Went after some Durambros and got the Durambrolite on my second run and another one from a tail carve from the next.

The heavens have opened for me GAF. I have ascended

pbAQw8h.gif

Top Bottom