• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

It seems like the Silver Sol set exists just look cool, rather than it being a good set of armor. I think you'd be better off saving the mantles and gleems for the weapons.

Golden Lune set is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more useful.

Eh... I have it... Only use I have for it is fire atk+2 against things weak to fire. Like lagi or whatever. It's really not anything special. Also, it has negative rec level out the ass which makes it a pain to gem it up.

MEH.

And yeah, I only crafted it cause it looked nice and F gold ian set looks like shit like all F ian sets imo.

Cheers, I'll probably swing for the Gold Rath set instead as grinding for materials is slowly but surely breaking me.
It is pretty ugly though, so disappointing.

Ridley327

I don't really get the hate for the Rathian armor appearance at all; it's one of the more grounded sets in the game, and I can really appreciate that.

When I think ugly, something like the Miralis set comes to mind.

Dragoshi1

Wow, HR village Jhen Moran is a strong bastard.

Failed the first time because I missed the first dragonator shot, and because he destroyed the boat/dragonator.

Repelled the second time, after landing 3 Dragonators and breaking both tusks and those little tunnels on his back.

Does the damage he took stay when I repel him? So another fight will most likely kill him?

And can I use cannon mask against him?

Depends on what happens. The situation is just so complicated. I sent it to my brother's address but under my name. He doesn't live there anymore, but we know someone who still lives there but I'm not sure if it'll get shipped to the address or the post office, when it even arrives and if a letter of authorization is enough.

Ok. Keep me informed if it works out. Thanks.

Fistwell

I don't really get the hate for the Rathian armor appearance at all; it's one of the more grounded sets in the game, and I can really appreciate that.

When I think ugly, something like the Miralis set comes to mind.
I'm just tired of the fluffy skirts. Miralis and brachy do look worse to me as well though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Eh... I have it... Only use I have for it is fire atk+2 against things weak to fire. Like lagi or whatever. It's really not anything special. Also, it has negative rec level out the ass which makes it a pain to gem it up.

MEH.

And yeah, I only crafted it cause it looked nice and F gold ian set looks like shit like all F ian sets imo.

Rath Heart OWNS YA FACE

My only experience fighting Jhen Mohran before this was in Portable 3rd (offline village). Fighting him in MH3U just feels a lot more epic and tense. I definitely had to learn to make efficient use of the horn, cannon and Dragonator. I get much more satisfaction killing him in this game.

Arveene

Neo Member
What are the skills like Rock Steady and Ocean's Blessing? I noticed you have others in parentheses after it, are there skills that encompass a 'group' of skills or something?

Yep, you got it. The only exception is that earplugs effect from Rock Steady isn't exactly the same as the skill Earplugs. It will block roars from everything except Blos, Elders, and Gigginox I believe. So it's actually somewhere between Earplugs and HGE. One hilarious (or enraging) things I've seen regarding Rock Steady is that if you get caught in I.Lagi's large lightning attack, you'll actually get up before the attack ends and most likely cart.

Anyone up for some G-Rank Blos Hardhorn farming? I'll put up a room.

Rize_21

I've opened a room in the usual place,no password,for arena quests if anyone is up.
Currently doing the Bracchydios(for the Loc Lac gloves!) and without specific aim after that,so feel free to join. :)

Proven

WTF CAPCOM

I pre-ordered the 3DS XL casing early February. I had it shipped to my brother in Singapore to avoid the corrupt customs in my country, and he'll just bring it to my place before he goes to another country. I got an e-mail the next day that my order was canceled so ehh... no loss.

He's already in another country and NOW Capcom suddenly says my order shipped.
I got the email saying shipped today as well. This is 2 and a half months late. I kinda wish I cancelled it.

Finally got a Jho Crook!

And Capcom is making new MH cases: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=551992

Or I might do what the OP did in that thread and sell my case off...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sammy told us this before. If you do it before a quest it levels them up faster.

Are Arena quests much easier in multiplayer? I'm doing them solo in the offline port and really struggling. The fact that the quests still have a maximum player limit visible leads me to think that the offline ones haven't had their health scaled down for solo play. Even on runs with my best weapon, using items at the perfect times and beating on the beastie with every available opportunity I'm getting nowhere near the S ratings.

While on a hunt, if you go to your inventory and select a type of meat they can eat, you can pass it to them to heal them up. Took me a lot longer than 150 hours to figure that out though.

Arveene

Neo Member
Are Arena quests much easier in multiplayer? I'm doing them solo in the offline port and really struggling. The fact that the quests still have a maximum player limit visible leads me to think that the offline ones haven't had their health scaled down for solo play. Even on runs with my best weapon, using items at the perfect times and beating on the beastie with every available opportunity I'm getting nowhere near the S ratings.

They aren't scaled down in the single player port. You only need to S rank with one weapon for each one. You can A rank with all the other weapons to unlock the Earrings.

While on a hunt, if you go to your inventory and select a type of meat they can eat, you can pass it to them to heal them up. Took me a lot longer than 150 hours to figure that out though.
It doesn't just heal them, it gives them Mask XP. Let me see if I can find the GFAQs post...
They gain the most EXP off the first meat they consume, about 1/2 the amount on the second, and no further benefits off any more.

For maximum efficiency, just eat for Felyne Trainer, go to Moga Woods, and feed the two one Well Done Steak each, return to Village, and repeat.

It takes around 20 Well Done Steaks each to reach Mask Lv5.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/683294-monster-hunter-3-ultimate/66064925

Edit: Also, I fought HR Gobul and had a 5 minute kill w/ blue hammer. The fight was hilarious:
1) Fish out.
2) KO right after he recovers.
3) Cha-Cha and Kayamba paralyze him during the KO.
4) Second KO during the paralysis (lol).
5) Fight for a bit.
6) Third KO.
7) Second paralysis.
8) Fourth KO.
9) Dead.

Gobul barely got to do anything.

Ah, so it'd go a lot easier if I teamed up with people and did them online then, cool. I'm not trying to get S ratings with every weapon or anything, just trying to get one A for each quest with whichever available weapon I suck the least with.

Riposte

I think the armor progression in this game is really weird, at least before G-rank. This is not about the very grindy (MMO-ish) drops that mar an otherwise brilliant game, but that plays a part.

Since getting into High Rank I've had like dozens of armor sets pop up all at once (like a new one or two every mission) on top of the ones that just showed up for the highest rank of low (e.g. Lagiacrus, which I'm still wearing now just hit G-Rank, although at least upgraded to be 40 defense a piece). Less than three days later I've hit G-Rank and now they are mostly outdated at this point. Making even one of these sets (or a bunch of decorations, in some cases) can be daunting, with one or two super rare drops required. People generally seem to care more about ranking up (doing the three or so key quests) than fighting all of the monsters or fully equipping themselves with proper skills, but I can't blame because the game is set up this way.

The rate of obtaining a full set of armor (skills) versus the rate of them being outdated is so out of whack it is mind boggling. All throughout High rank I was confused what to make because of this, but never even got an opportunity to make a set because I never got a full set of materials (for example I killed somewhere around 8 Uragaans). This doesn't fully apply to weapons because you upgrade those along and they alone require much fewer materials. Still though, it was far easier to make an up to date Dios blade than go back and continuing upgrading my Peco Switch-Axe.

Anyway, I think I'm going to focus on more High Rank missions for awhile.

DaBoss

Man, G-Rank Glacial Agnaktor is really hard... It's been constantly giving me trouble.

It doesn't just heal them, it gives them Mask XP. Let me see if I can find the GFAQs post...

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/683294-monster-hunter-3-ultimate/66064925
Feed them pink livers and ethnic wyvern meat.

Well that is interesting.

Mupod

bah, couldn't play earlier because I kept getting disconnected. Hopefully it clears up when I try again in half an hour or so.

Haunted

slime is overrated. Randoms just don't care and only want to use one weapon all the time rather than put in the research to actually find out what's good against certain things. Brachy stuff is still good because of its raw/purple sharpness with handicraft but all his equipment is ugly as sin.
I agree, I really dislike pretty much all the Brachy equipment designs. The gunlance makes me want to vomit. Once I saw some of the better G-Rank weapons with the crazy elemental numbers (hello Dire Miralis), I didn't really want to use Brachy weapons anymore. They're still good, but they're not "the best" by so much that everything else becomes useless.

I think the armor progression in this game is really weird, at least before G-rank. This is not about the very grindy (MMO-ish) drops that mar an otherwise brilliant game, but that plays a part.

Since getting into High Rank I've had like dozens of armor sets pop up all at once (like a new one or two every mission) on top of the ones that just showed up for the highest rank of low (e.g. Lagiacrus, which I'm still wearing now just hit G-Rank, although at least upgraded to be 40 defense a piece). Less than three days later I've hit G-Rank and now they are mostly outdated at this point. Making even one of these sets (or a bunch of decorations, in some cases) can be daunting, with one or two super rare drops required. People generally seem to care more about ranking up (doing the three or so key quests) than fighting all of the monsters or fully equipping themselves with proper skills, but I can't blame because the game is set up this way.

The rate of obtaining a full set of armor (skills) versus the rate of them being outdated is so out of whack it is mind boggling. All throughout High rank I was confused what to make because of this, but never even got an opportunity to make a set because I never got a full set of materials (for example I killed somewhere around 8 Uragaans). This doesn't fully apply to weapons because you upgrade those along and they alone require much fewer materials. Still though, it was far easier to make an up to date Dios blade than go back and continuing upgrading my Peco Switch-Axe.

Anyway, I think I'm going to focus on more High Rank missions for awhile.
Well, every new monster material unlocks a new armour possibility, so as soon as you see one you like, you're expected to farm that monster a couple times to get enough materials for the full set. I think the weapon progression is smoother by default as you can basically continue upgrading by just going along and playing the game "normally". Though bad luck with one or two rare drops for the weapon can lead to you having enough materials for (almost) the full armour set of that monster as well. So, they're interconnected in a way, yet due to the random nature of the drops it can vary wildly. I was farming so many Brachys for the rare Pallium drop that I ended up with enough material to handily make the armour set and fully upgrade like three different Brachy weapons.

About the outdated thing: there's a point when you realise that almost every High Rank set can be upgraded to roughly the same defense as most G-rank armour given you have enough armour spheres to spend. So at that point it basically becomes a case of finding the right set of skills you like/need for your weapon. I'm still rocking HR Agna from time to time even though I'm well into G-rank (dat innate Guard+2 & Guard boost).

That said, only G-Rank has the rare and useful endgame skills like Handicraft and Awaken, so there's that.

Ultratech

anyone using the Nether(A.Lagi) armor? I've got enough materials to make it, but I want a second opinion.

I see quite a few mixed sets with the Chest, Arms, and Waist.

Ideally, you'd need a Edgemaster +2 Talisman for that.

You'd have to look up armor sets though for a better idea of what you can do with it.

The full set seems kinda meh outside of Honed Blade and Stamina Recovery Up.
Current Res (Hi) will only be useful underwater, and Critical Eye -2 is not good.

FlyFaster

I have been having some fun trying new weapons in Moga Woods during freehunt. I never bothered collecting furniture/room decorations in Tri, but with all the extra "rare trade" material I've been getting just messing around I spent some of them on furniture and I have to admit they are pretty cool.

Favorite right now is the Lagi Fountain. It's sitting next to my chest so I see it all the time :) Def will be collecting more.

DaBoss

IceManNoob just joined my room.

bowdownbitches.gif

Bd0L4yK.gif

Chuckpebble

Is your Moga room the only thing you can decorate? Kinda miss my level 2 digs from Tri.

Oh, and I thought I was onto something clever when I equipped my little rascals with the artillery mask and the gargwa mask. I was disappointed.

DaBoss

^^^ lol

I just had a thought. What are the chances of the west getting MH4G on the 3DS/Wii U next year maybe like 4 months after Japan?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
How does one get news masks for their Cha-cha?

popyea

Hi, have a problem that hopefully someone can help with. Just got the game today and started playing on WiiU. I chose the dynamic HUD or whatever, so that there was no HUD on screen at all, it was all on the gamepad. This is awesome, but then later on when I played some off TV, there was no HUD on the screen obviously, and I couldn't find a way to get it back. Help?

If you're still looking for an answer, you need to put it back on tv mode and then remove the map from the customize panel menu. I just keep the map on the tv screen now so that it's always there if I want to play off-screen.

Bullshit. We didn't have to beg for MH3U. We did have to wait for a long time, but it is fairly obvious this was planned with Nintendo.
I know, I'm just saying Capcom (Japan) is clearly not bothered. Let's hope MH4 localization was part of the deal.

Top Bottom